Longtail Electric MXUS kit on Repco Sirocco

Bikengineer

10 mW
My weekend project was starting a new electric bike. Not as easy as I thought but pretty straightforward.
It's a work in progress.
Donor bike is a Repco Sirocco. It's actually my mums bike but it's been collecting dust for 5years.
A friend bought back a MXUS kit from China for use on another bike but I switched bikes at the last minute from an Apollo Kosciusko Cro-Mo 1" headset with cantilevers (1989) to a girls Aluminium frame with 1-1/8" headset and V-brakes.
The front kit wheel did not fit the cheap suspension forks in any way. Bolts didn't fit recess, hub didn't clear fork arms and the suspension was soft and the forks made of an alloy?
So I went shopping for another fork, after 4 LBS's I found a single cro-mo fork but it was rigid and didn't have disc mounts and wasn't suspension geometry corrected and was threaded. But it was cheap so I went for it. It needed some tabs grinded off on one side to fit anti rotation washers.
The donor worked perfectly as a normal bike but I bought new grips, new stem to correct geometry, new shifters as the existing ones were integrated with brake levers. The kit came with a box for controller and e-brake levers. The box didn't fit controller and connectors so I got a saddle bag instead.

First thing I did was cosmetic and removed all the stickers (except head badge) from chrome frame.
Bolted battery on, tied controller box on.
Swapped fork, tried new stem.
Set up handlebars new grips, new shifters, new levers, new throttle, new LED dash, new headlight.
Redid gears and brakes.
Installed speedo, programmed dash.
I installed the cadence sensor after sunset and stupidly stripped crank thread with PARK crank puller. It was on drive side so I might replace with a single chainwheel eventually.
First test was about 10km and ironed out a few issues.
Still need to sort cable mess and was thinking of using heat shrink sleeving.

Stage 2
Suspension Forks with disc brake mounts, was going to weld onto cro-mo fork but no clearance
Xtracycle free radical to extend wheelbase so I can carry passengers.
Free radical has a disc mount on rear so I'm building a 24" wheel with a nexus 3 disc hub.
Front chain wheels replaced with 1 large biopace chainwheel
36v LED headlight and tail lights
Second bottle battery mount

My wife is having twin boys this week so it might be a while before stage 2.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,226
I've nicknamed this one Silver Rocket Mk. II
Here's a pic of Silver Rocket Mk.1 which I sold recently for a tiny profit.

QUESTIONS
Any tips on neat ways to hide cables appreciated?
Any tips on how to mount 2nd bottle battery onto seat stays also welcomed?
Any suggestion for where to buy a triple clamp (double crown) suspension fork at a good price?
The thread on chainwheel is wrecked
- has anyone cut cadence sensor in 2 pieces and glued on instead of removing stuck crank?
- has anyone installed cadence sensor on left hand crank?
I've cut a hole in cordura saddle bag for cables, will melting cut stop edges from fraying?

So it's finished. Time has evaporated with kids in the house.
I've abandoned the longtail for now but ended up doing following to finish off.
-replaced stem with higher longer stem for better fit and compensating for no suspension.
-replaced triple chainwheel with a single and removed front derailleur cable so it's just a guide.
-installed PAS cadence sensor
-rewired charger with Aussie plug
-fitted an LED hard wired headlight
-replaced front brake spring and noodle
-cut finished cable ends
-more zip ties (might get stainless pipe clamps for more chrome)

Got another kit and another donor. Nice Norco frame suits big tyres and disc brakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,072
Longtail conversion done. Managed to get 2 discs on a frame designed for V-brakes.
Battery bottle on downtube, controller attached to old brake bosses.
Also dropped granny chainwheel to fit PAS.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 943
Back