Favourite high power hub motor?

Eastwood said:
The mxus 3k motor Is also a great option for a lighter weight set up. That being said it definitely cannot handle nowhere near the power levels of the QS205. I was able to push it at 60 DC amps and sometimes 80 for very short periods but it would get really hot. Definitely grab you some hubs sinks and statoraid for the mxus 3k If you plan on pushing anything over 50-ish DC amps.

And don't put the MXUS 3k (450x) in anything bigger than a 20" wheel (16" MC), to get better performance. There's a long thread for v1, 2, and 3 of these motors around here that has a fair bit of data on usage of it.

Also dont' expect it's axles to be very tolerant of, well, anything. :(

Love the 205 and 273 motors

Wish there was an upgrade out there for axle, side covers and bearing phase exits. Id pay for the custom work

liveforphysics said:
To share my $0.02 on my favorite hubmotor, it's objective opinion because I didn't have access to a dynamometer at that time.

JohninCR's hubmonster impressed me the most of any hubmotor. This is because I could power up hilly mountain passes in highway traffic at +65-70mph uphill for extended periods, and pullover and feel the motor shell and magnet ring and axle and feel them just warm, but able to leave my hand on them. I don't have dyno data for it, but it had starting torque to wheelie out from under you, with a top speed higher than I wanted to find out (in limited motorcycle riding armor), and it sipped watts when cruising at a useful speed. I don't know if they weigh less or more than a 273mm.

The 273mm got me excited from Jackson Edward's (Farfle) amazing custom double wide magic pie on a Sevcon with big phase current. It would kick the rear wheel like a 450cc dirtbike clutch drop, but it also would get hot road racing at that power after a few laps. It took a good deal of cooling to run continously high power, but this motor had some eddy current stator iron loops and was a DIY build that could be optimized.

Radius is so useful in a motors ability to make torque. However, more motor weight sucks in riding manners for a bicycle.

It would be fantastic to pay someone who's clever with a lathe and mill to take the 273mm sized stator or JohninCR hubmonster, and give them the ultra lightweight treatment like the Grin all axle with webbed side plates and large hollow axle with bearing phase lead exit. Maybe Mumetal magnetic back iron and/or thin magnet hallbach array rotor to shave rotor mass. The stator and axle can be made a ton lighter.

If going that far though, using the beautiful magnetics Miles created for a hubmotor I think is the best I've ever seen and could yield >95% and lower motor mass.

I agree with you on the QS273 upgrade

However JohninCR's motor is not the type to fit into a regular bike frame or enduro/vector type frame. Its only for scooters I believe

DogDipstick said:
It has a MUCH stronger axle, Cro-Moly cut from a billet. The QS motor axle will cross thread easy.. and destroy the axle.. and many have broken the QS motor 205 axle while riding. The Cro's axle is strong as can be. No breaking this thing.

It is MUCH lighter, at 24 lbs (11kg) than a V3 QS motor at 28.6 Pounds ( 13kG). Some riders have even lighted them more on a lathe to sub 20 lb. by cutting off extra steel off the casing.

Can handle 2x the continuous power of the QS V3 ( as rated by the manuf) .

Has thinner lamination to keep eddy current heating to a minimum. The stator lamination’s are made with a high quality silicon steel and also have a little more copper fill ( deeper tooth to fill) . This all translates into a more efficient cooler running motor.

Inductance measured it at 145uH (Higher efficiency on low speeds and higher speed)

...has physically smaller ( solid copper ) phase lines than the QS V3 ( that has stranded phase lines).

Sorry dogdipstick but this starts to set off my sanity check meters.

Cro axles might be stronger than QS axles. Just that anything cut from a billet is weaker than the same thing cold forged so billet machining is not what would mean high strength. How do you know it’s cut from a billet? (I’d assume it’s turned from a bar, then flats machined for both motors.)

Can handle 2x continuous power. Is this from the manufacturer number only?

What’s the lamination thickness for cro vs QS?
What’s the measured copper fill percent?

Inductance is not a measure of efficiency or proportional to it.

I haven’t seen a hub with solid phase wires but all with stranded conductors. Isn’t it just copper wire on both?

larsb said:
Sorry dogdipstick

Yeah no problem You know I dont know what half this stuff means..

It is just mostly quoted form the web page. However, I can tell the axle of the motor Ihave in hand is cut and machined on all sides.. Not like the QS motor axle I have in hand too. There are bolt on bearing plates on both sides of the axle entry. It has a different bearing structure and thicker path through the hub than the QS. It is very strong, I did not Rockwell meter it or XRF test it but I can if you really want, to know 100% the metal. One thing you can tell.. the axle threads are lathe cut on teh Cromotor, and the axle threads are cut with a tap on the QS motor. .. One thing I can see. It is very strong. That I can tell. It is cut on a machine, not pulled, rolled and threaded.

Here is an article where you can see the side plate differences, and the axle. Written by our own Spinning Magnets.

https://www.electricbike.com/cromotor-monster-hubmotor/

2011-2016 Thread made by Cromotor owners here on Endless sphere:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33831&start=475

Seller page:
https://www.zelenavozila.com/cromotor

Quote from the only seller page of the Cromotor I can find.
Continuous power : 6000W
- Weight : 10.5kg
- Stator manufactured from aluminium,
- Additional silicon steel and copper compare to previous versions​, providing better heat dissipation,

- Higher efficiency on low speeds and higher speed

- Better cooling at higher speeds.

The major changes from the V1 motor are as follows:

The minimum recommended rear swing arm dropouts is 145 mm. Very good mechanical skills are needed for this motor to be mounted on 140 mm dropouts. It’s possible, but strongly NOT recommended and you might not be able to fit a disc brake.

The weight of the previous motor was 22.4lbs (10.18kg), the new version is a little heavier at 24 lbs (11kg).

This version has a different stator. The old version was a stamped steel stator and these now use a cast aluminum stator. The stator lamination’s are made with a high quality silicon steel and also have a little more copper fill. This all translates into a more efficient cooler running motor.

Electrical Specs:
Continuous power handling: 5000W (please read the following note about wattage ratings), if you stall the motor at zero RPM and put 4000W into it of course you will melt it, even 1000W could would damage it if left stalled for long enough. Your wheel size plays a large factor in this, the larger the wheel the less efficient the motor, on flat surfaces this is generally a non issue, but if you choose to climb steep hills with a 29″ wheel using this motor I suggest you carefully monitor the motor temp and also the controller temperature. Another note about using large wheel/tire diameters is to watch your power. This motor produces very large amounts of torque and a 28-30″ diameter tire is a very long lever. This can produce a lot of stress on the axle. If you intend to build what amounts to more of a motorcycle or moped than a bicycle I suggest you run a tire with a diameter no larger than 22″ to keep mechanical and electrical stresses within reason.

The same general rules that apply to all hub motors still apply to this one and must be observed. This motor is capable of surviving many situations where other motors would not, but caution must still be used.
kV measured the same as the previous version 9.3kV (9.3 RPM per 1 volt)
Inductance appears to be slightly higher than the previous version and measured it at 145uH vs the previous versions 120uH
Hall sensors are spaced at 120 degrees
Phase wires are 11 AWG

INFO ON PRICING AND DISTRIBUTING IS AVAILABLE

amberwolf said:
gobi said:
Off the line torque for DD's has been an item I have been pondering about. My experience with a 750w DD 9C motor has been dismal till now.
If it's startup torque you're after, just put a bigger controller (higher phase amps, which means higher battery amps, and thus may need a better battery) on the existing motor. What controller is on there now, and what is it's current limit? Get one that is twice that, and the motor will "wake up" :) but it will also greatly increase the heating of the motor during the times it uses that extra power. For best control, get an FOC controller that uses "torque control" throttle method (all of them should, but....).

When riding on the flats at your normal speeds it won't use any more power than it did before; just when it's under conditions that require more power will the motor draw more from the controller and battery.

Same advice for any motor you want more torque from...make sure the controller can supply plenty of current to it, and that the battery can supply more than the controller needs in order to do this. (so it doesnt' sag in voltage; the less sag the more watts to the wheel).
Amberwolf, I will pull my 750w dd 9C into a new thread.
My batt can do 30 amp plus, the hub just vibrates at dead stop and just won't budge off the line very much with the STOCK controller.
I will try a sinewave controller next and then mucho amp controller, I just bought a nd72530 last night.
I need to educate myself on the concepts and software options for fardriver controllers.
FYI: I was up to 18 mph on my bafang geared hub and felt quite fast for me.
I am off chasing some small mouth bass for the next few days, Danke!

Balmorhea said:
markz said:
The highest geared motor would be the MAC, but whats the weight and cargo limit of a motor like that, would 375lbs eat the gears up for breakfast?

If you match wheel diameter, winding, and voltage to the load you have to drag around, and you don't stuff too much power into it, then no problem. However, running hub motors with too much power, and too high kV for the speeds they can actually reach regularly, seems to be the (dumb) formula around these parts.

If the power the motor makes at 80% of its unloaded RPM isn't enough to propel you on flat ground at 80% of its unloaded RPM, I think you've made a mistake.

Excellent point and I think some may not understand what you are talking about...

If you measure your actual top speed on flat ground...lets say it is 30 mph. Then pick up the wheel your motor is mounted in and measure the top speed...lets say it is 40 mph. Then the actual speed divided by the unloaded top speed is 30/40 = .75 or 75%.

80% is fairly safe for most motors.

If your ratio is less than .75 or 75% then you are probably going to have over heating problems :( .

Just saw where Grin Tech is probably going to drop the DD45...this is from their web site: "As of 2022 the DD45 motors are out of stock, and will likely be discontinued from Grin's catalogue."

If I am limited by my 135mm dropouts, which high power Direct Drive Hub Motor would you guys recomend?

Yes I am aware of the geared hub and mid drive options but I want to build a Direct Drive Hub Motor powered bike.

Thanks

Bullfrog said:
Just saw where Grin Tech is probably going to drop the DD45...this is from their web site: "As of 2022 the DD45 motors are out of stock, and will likely be discontinued from Grin's catalogue."

If I am limited by my 135mm dropouts, which high power Direct Drive Hub Motor would you guys recomend?

Yes I am aware of the geared hub and mid drive options but I want to build a Direct Drive Hub Motor powered bike.

Thanks

MXUS 3k is the motor that is said to be the most powerful that can fit in a 135mm dropout. Or do what I did and make " extended dropouts" that bolt on and plate on the outside dimension of the frame dropout. My bike is a 135mm bike with a 150mm motor sitting in it. I use the old mounting to mount the plates that then have a wider axle acceptance. I'll show a link to a post with pics if you want.

MXUS3K, ......Also: a LeafMotor 1500w, or the QS212 1200w can be overdriven significantly too, and is a lighter choice i 135mm.

Ask grim about the DD45 too. Said they planning on possibly coming out with their own DD45 replacement

There is a narrower 35mm version of the QS205 (which I have in the 50mm 50H version) that has a 135mm-dropout-width axle. Dunno if they have it in stock, but it's listed here at a random-google-find link:
https://edrifttrikes.com/product/qs-205-35h-v1-135mm-ebike-hub-motor/
and is probably available directly from QSmotors as well.

The construction of the QS motors, including their axles, is better than the MXUS; I have both kinds here and have broken both MXUS 450x's (4503 and 4504) on the trike. The QS205s haven't been tested on the trike yet.

(And the MXUS 450x series is (according to info in the big thread about them) only "really" capable of it's 3000w rating in a small wheel, like 20" bicycle size (16" moped/mc), etc., though I haven't tested that personally).

Guys...thanks for the recomendations/info on the motors that fit in 135mm dropouts :D .

I'll touch base with Grin Tech and see what they have planned before I do anything. Maybe they will get QS or Cromotor to make them a 205/50H motor with big phase wires and a super strong axle but I am not holding my breath :lol: .

Just saw where Crystallyte offers a H+ 55 motor...supposedly it will fit in 135mm dropouts, weighs 10kg, and has a 55mm stator.

This is a link to it: pmdc cc

Does anybody have experience with it?

It appears to be a really good option for my bike build with a DD motor.

Any opinions/experience regarding it would be appreciated as well :).

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but I have a question I hope you guys can help me with....which DD motor would you guys recomend if I want to compromise between weight and power?

Using the Grin Tech motor simulator it looks like once I get to a 40mm stator, going any wider doesn't give me a lot more torque so I am considering going with a 40mm stator.

Any recommendations for a DD motor with a 40mm stator? I plan to run it on a 72v battery, a relatively high amperage controller, and it will be used for commuting on relatively flat ground.

I am leaning towards the Crystalyte Crown TC4080 unless you guys have a better suggestion.

Thanks

Are you looking for high torque, such as for quick startups? Or are you looking for fast speeds?

How much power do you need, and what is your weight limit? (and budget, if any)

Personally, for quality control and manufacturing consistency / design, based on the ones I've seen the insides of (and held in my hands), compared to all the other motors (especially Crystallyte :( ) I've seen the insides of (and sometimes held in my hands and used), I'd go with QSMotors, such as the QS205-40H.

Unfortunately it weighs another half again what the TC4080 does, but I would bet that it can handle at least twice what their power rating is, for long bursts, because of the extra thermal mass. Not sure if the TC could (being lighter). I don't have a cromotor to compare it, but others have said that to simulate the QS205 you can start with the cromotor in hte grin simulator.

(also, if it matters, the TC motors "save weight" by removing most of the spoke flange, so if you ever have a failure of a flange segment, you can't just drill a new hole nearby and put new (longer) spokes in there to save the wheel...the QS is a typical full-circumference flange. This also means that the QS can be drilled for smaller spoke holes for typical bicycle-rim-sized spokes of 14-15g (13-14 max), if you don't want to deal with spoke washers for the oversized (12g and up) holes pretty much every hubmotor seems to have.

"The 205 Spoke Hub Motor specially designed for Electric bicycle or Electric motorcycle, drum brake or disc brake type can be optional, speed can be customized from 25-70KMPH.
[*]Spoke hole: 3.4mm x 36pcs
[*]Matching Rim:16inch-26inch
[*]Magnet Height: 40MM
[*] of Pole Pairs: 23 paris
[*]Rated Power: 1000W
[*]Max Power: 1600W
[*]Rated Voltage: 48V( 60V/72V Can be optional)
[*]Speed: 45km/h (30-55km/h can be customized)
[*]Max No-load RPM: 650RPM
[*]Max Torque: 98N.M
[*]Max Efficiency: 90%
[*]Continious current:23A
[*]Max current:40-45A (Peak 70A in short time)
[*]Brake type: Disc brake or Brum brake(Optional)
[*]Rear Fork width for installation: 200
[*]Cross Section of Phase wire: 8 mm2
[*]Temperature Sensor: Optional
[*]Waterproof Grade: IP66
[*]W./ G..W. : 11kgs / 12kgs
[*]Package Size: 34*34*33CM

TC4080 specs:
TC4065 ; TC4080 and TC40100
Magnet size = 40mm ; Stator high = 40mm
140mm dropout ; Design for 1 speed freewheel
Can take normal spokes of 90 degrees
Rear wheel motor
Motor Weight is 8kg
Wheel laced with 20" to 26"
48V Specifications TC4080 Motor :
1697479789529.png
72V Specifications TC4080 Motor :
1697479797587.png

Last edited:
Are you looking for high torque, such as for quick startups? Or are you looking for fast speeds?

How much power do you need, and what is your weight limit? (and budget, if any)

Personally, for quality control and manufacturing consistency / design, based on the ones I've seen the insides of (and held in my hands), compared to all the other motors (especially Crystallyte :( ) I've seen the insides of (and sometimes held in my hands and used), I'd go with QSMotors, such as the QS205-40H.

Unfortunately it weighs another half again what the TC4080 does, but I would bet that it can handle at least twice what their power rating is, for long bursts, because of the extra thermal mass. Not sure if the TC could (being lighter). I don't have a cromotor to compare it, but others have said that to simulate the QS205 you can start with the cromotor in hte grin simulator.

(also, if it matters, the TC motors "save weight" by removing most of the spoke flange, so if you ever have a failure of a flange segment, you can't just drill a new hole nearby and put new (longer) spokes in there to save the wheel...the QS is a typical full-circumference flange. This also means that the QS can be drilled for smaller spoke holes for typical bicycle-rim-sized spokes of 14-15g (13-14 max), if you don't want to deal with spoke washers for the oversized (12g and up) holes pretty much every hubmotor seems to have.

"The 205 Spoke Hub Motor specially designed for Electric bicycle or Electric motorcycle, drum brake or disc brake type can be optional, speed can be customized from 25-70KMPH.
[*]Spoke hole: 3.4mm x 36pcs
[*]Matching Rim:16inch-26inch
[*]Magnet Height: 40MM
[*] of Pole Pairs: 23 paris
[*]Rated Power: 1000W
[*]Max Power: 1600W
[*]Rated Voltage: 48V( 60V/72V Can be optional)
[*]Speed: 45km/h (30-55km/h can be customized)
[*]Max No-load RPM: 650RPM
[*]Max Torque: 98N.M
[*]Max Efficiency: 90%
[*]Continious current:23A
[*]Max current:40-45A (Peak 70A in short time)
[*]Brake type: Disc brake or Brum brake(Optional)
[*]Rear Fork width for installation: 200
[*]Cross Section of Phase wire: 8 mm2
[*]Temperature Sensor: Optional
[*]Waterproof Grade: IP66
[*]W./ G..W. : 11kgs / 12kgs
[*]Package Size: 34*34*33CM

TC4080 specs:
TC4065 ; TC4080 and TC40100
Magnet size = 40mm ; Stator high = 40mm
140mm dropout ; Design for 1 speed freewheel
Can take normal spokes of 90 degrees
Rear wheel motor
Motor Weight is 8kg
Wheel laced with 20" to 26"
48V Specifications TC4080 Motor :
View attachment 341361
72V Specifications TC4080 Motor :
View attachment 341362
Thanks Amberwolf...that is a lot more info than I was expecting :). I'll take a closer look at the QS205 40H motor.

Initially I was considering a Crystalyte H+55 series motor but after using the Grin Tech motor simulator I was seeing that going over 40mm for a stator width, did not give as much of an increase in torque as going from 35mm to 40mm does so why should I pay the extra weight penalty with the bigger stator if I didn't need it. I am thinking I want a DD motor that will be capable of maintaining about 35 mph on relatively level ground with occasional mild hill climbs and I'd like my motor to do all of that without overheating. The build would be more of a commuter than something I'd be running hard and stopping/starting a lot so probably around 2,500 watts continuous with peaks of 60-80A (battery) and I plan to use a 72v battery.

Keep in mind that it's not just the wider stator, it's also usually an increase in phase current that would be needed for higher torque (generally the wider motors arent just wider, but also built for higher currents / power levels).

Also...some of the "35mm" motors dont' have 35mm stator *and* magnets, just one or the other. IIRC the old Crystalyte 35H series had rear and front versions, and the front ones weren't actually 35, but I think 24 or 25? So any comparison using one of those would certainly show a huge increase in torque going up to 40, since it would almost double the effective width. ;)

The way a motor is wound could also affect it's torque ( including which winding it has, so it's kV / kT), so sometimes comparing different motor models is hard to do directly. I don't know if the simulator takes this into account or just shows you the direct results of each one for the controller/battery/conditions it's setup with.

I'm pretty sure the QS205 40H could do what you want; I only have the 50H version, but haven't used it myself--the one I have came from someone that used it at much higher power levels (11kw?) on a "dirt bike" build until the insufficient axle hardware failed and the axle ends sheared off. :lol: (I have a new axle for it and a second stator from someone else, but have yet to get it rebuilt and in-use, as I will probalby use it for a middrive version of the SB Cruiser trike if I ever get to that).

35mph should take around 2kw or so battery power, and probably 1500w+ at the motor/ground (so 500w of losses in the system as heat). Probably 60Wh/mile+; if it's a long ride you may need a big battery. (a big battery can handle the current better anyway)

The hill climbs could take a little more or way way more, depending on the slopes and length and weight of you, bike, etc and speed you're going up them.

Keep in mind that it's not just the wider stator, it's also usually an increase in phase current that would be needed for higher torque (generally the wider motors arent just wider, but also built for higher currents / power levels).

Also...some of the "35mm" motors dont' have 35mm stator *and* magnets, just one or the other. IIRC the old Crystalyte 35H series had rear and front versions, and the front ones weren't actually 35, but I think 24 or 25? So any comparison using one of those would certainly show a huge increase in torque going up to 40, since it would almost double the effective width. ;)

The way a motor is wound could also affect it's torque ( including which winding it has, so it's kV / kT), so sometimes comparing different motor models is hard to do directly. I don't know if the simulator takes this into account or just shows you the direct results of each one for the controller/battery/conditions it's setup with.

I'm pretty sure the QS205 40H could do what you want; I only have the 50H version, but haven't used it myself--the one I have came from someone that used it at much higher power levels (11kw?) on a "dirt bike" build until the insufficient axle hardware failed and the axle ends sheared off. :lol: (I have a new axle for it and a second stator from someone else, but have yet to get it rebuilt and in-use, as I will probalby use it for a middrive version of the SB Cruiser trike if I ever get to that).

35mph should take around 2kw or so battery power, and probably 1500w+ at the motor/ground (so 500w of losses in the system as heat). Probably 60Wh/mile+; if it's a long ride you may need a big battery. (a big battery can handle the current better anyway)

The hill climbs could take a little more or way way more, depending on the slopes and length and weight of you, bike, etc and speed you're going up them.

All very true :).

I plan to go back and look at the time to overheat using the Grin Tech motor simulator and I'll punch in some fairly high incline numbers so I don't have to wait forever for the motors to get hot.

My problem is I am used to my MAC which weighs a fraction of a good DD motor and produces roughly five times the torque. But the MAC will over heat if I try to push it over 30 mph on flat ground for extended periods of time :(. With my MAC and battery placement, I can get a 50/50 weight distribution front to rear so my bike handles about as good as possible...with a 40mm or larger DD motor, I don't think that is going to be possible.

Thanks Amberwolf...that is a lot more info than I was expecting :). I'll take a closer look at the QS205 40H motor.

Initially I was considering a Crystalyte H+55 series motor but after using the Grin Tech motor simulator I was seeing that going over 40mm for a stator width, did not give as much of an increase in torque as going from 35mm to 40mm does so why should I pay the extra weight penalty with the bigger stator if I didn't need it. I am thinking I want a DD motor that will be capable of maintaining about 35 mph on relatively level ground with occasional mild hill climbs and I'd like my motor to do all of that without overheating. The build would be more of a commuter than something I'd be running hard and stopping/starting a lot so probably around 2,500 watts continuous with peaks of 60-80A (battery) and I plan to use a 72v battery.
Why do you want such a big heavy motor when your requirements are modest? The Grin V2 fast wind will do what you want, and stay running cool as a cucumber (65C) at 35mph, and have tons of torque and acceleration getting there.
I use the V2 in the simulator to fill in the blanks on my Leaf motor, since they are similar in efficiency and the curves line up very closely; but the Grin is modeled for temperature.

Why do you want such a big heavy motor when your requirements are modest? The Grin V2 fast wind will do what you want, and stay running cool as a cucumber (65C) at 35mph, and have tons of torque and acceleration getting there.
I use the V2 in the simulator to fill in the blanks on my Leaf motor, since they are similar in efficiency and the curves line up very closely; but the Grin is modeled for temperature.

My two reasons for a bigger motor and "bigger" in this case mainly means a wider stator....

A. The Grin Tech motor used a 27mm wide stator and the width of the stator is proportional to the torque output per amp. I compared most of the motors listed in the Grin Tech Motor Simulator and the torque output per battery amp appears to increase fairly substantially until you go over a stator with a 40mm width and then it still increases just not as dramatically.

B. The bigger, actually heavier a motor is the longer it will take to overheat...and I am assuming that the weight is an indicator of the copper mass in the motor which is in general an OK assumption.

I completely agree with you that a lighter motor is better except for the two aspects I listed above...with a lighter motor a bike handles better because you have a better weight distribution and the bike is easier to move around and accelerate with a lighter motor :).

I really like my MAC powered bikes...the MAC puts out more torque per battery amp than ANY motor known to man...well at least more than anything in the Grin Tech Motor Simulator anyway and that includes the Cromotor. The MAC can do it because it has a 5:1 gear reduction therefor it puts out 5 times the torque of a similar sized DD motor plus the MAC weighs 4.3 Kg/9.5 lbs.

I think mxus xfc19 is better than Mac. It has 1:5.8 gearing bigger radius and more copper.I have tried both and Mac motor feels weaker and overheat faster

the MAC puts out more torque per battery amp than ANY motor known to man...well at least more than anything in the Grin Tech Motor Simulator anyway and that includes the Cromotor.
Not sure why this is important if the goal is more torque. You could artificially limit the input to any big motor to underperform another motor, I could see a Honda Civic outperforming a 427 Shelby Cobra, if you feed the Cobra unleaded regular at the same fuel flow rate as the Honda too, but the Cobra wouldn't be burdened by that limitation in the real world. Give the MAC and the Cromotor what they need, and then do the comparison.

Looks like the MXUS xfc19 motor uses relatively small phase wires in a molded connector...not sure which one but it may be the Z916. The Z916 is rated at 20A and has a max of 40A. Regardless, the amperage will be limited by the connector and wire size. I'll stick with my MAC since I regularly send it 60A (battery)/180A (phase) using a 52v battery for a peak torque of a little over 200 NM.

Don't want anybody to misunderstand...a MAC will over heat if you continuously run it above about 1,000 watts but for short periods of time like when accelerating from a stop, the MAC can take a LOT of amperage, produce a LOT of torque AND my clutch/gears have never been a problem. The time to over heat is relative to how much power you are using and at 1,200 watts continuously, it takes around 20 minutes for the MAC to over heat but if you drop down to 1,000 watts, it never over heats. What it boils down to is if you want to cruise for longer periods of time at speeds above about 30 mph, a MAC is not a good idea because it will eventually over heat BUT if you want great acceleration and to cruise at speeds below about 30 mph then you can't beat a MAC.

For anything off road, I'd recomend a Bafang BBSHD (mid drive) since it allows you to change the gearing and it gives you a good weight distribution front to rear so your bike handles better.

For riding on the road at speeds faster than about 30 mph a Direct Drive Hub Motor is the way to go. And that is where I am today...trying to decide if I really want to cruise at speeds above 30 mph on a bicycle and if I do, which DD motor I should use :). I am limited to 135mm dropouts so the best motors (QS205 and Cromotor) are a little too wide. Looks like I may have to compromise and use something like the Crystalyte Crown 40 series.

Last edited:
Not sure why this is important if the goal is more torque. You could artificially limit the input to any big motor to underperform another motor, I could see a Honda Civic outperforming a 427 Shelby Cobra, if you feed the Cobra unleaded regular at the same fuel flow rate as the Honda too, but the Cobra wouldn't be burdened by that limitation in the real world. Give the MAC and the Cromotor what they need, and then do the comparison.

Let me know what you find AFTER you do the comparison.

I didn't artificially limit anything, just fed them the same.

Back