Full-throttle's 1st

full-throttle said:
...BANG! A lycra rear ended me Now comes the interesting part: he got all excited, took a swing at me and spitting saliva started to accusing me of turning at 40kph :roll:

Same as on the road, person behind gets done for failing to drive with due care; if they hit you from behind, then clearly they have not been leaving sufficient space to be able to safely stop, should you do so suddenly.

So I say, if he hit you from behind, it's totally 100% his fault.

And anyway, it's got not so much to do about how fast you were going, but how fast you stopped; therefore it's got nothing to do about your motor, but about how good your brakes are... and there's nothing 'special' about them, is there?

Can't believe he had a swing...

Wow, what a jerk. Roid rage ?
I would apply the rules of the road here, if he rear ended you then it's his fault for following too closely or not paying attention. Obviously unlike on the road you dont have brake lights and what not, but I'd still think he's at fault.
The whole ebike thing is irrelevant really, if he was sitting so close to you that he couldnt swerve or brake in time then he was obviously going just as fast. And regardless, it's him that ran into YOU.

When you say he took a swing at you, do you mean literally ? Did he not hear your Russian accent ?! :lol:
If a lycra took a swing at me twice when they were in the wrong I'd be inclided to put them on their arse. I know who'd come off second best considering the full face helmet and armoured jacket and gloves I ride in. The little FOX shaped imprints in their head would make for an amusing photo too :twisted:
I dont suppose your camera was running ?

If you want to take the high road you could call the police and say the guy ran into you then started threatening you and took a few swings. Tell them you dont want to take any action (unless you do?) but just wanted to report it incase the guy follows through on his threats or is waiting for you tomorrow or at some other time. You could mention the ebike thing if you want, say he tried to blame you but that the "electric assistance" wasnt even turned on at the time, and in any case it was him that was speeding and riding dangerously.
They'll likely give you an incident number which you can tell this jackass you have and tell him he can expect a visit from the police if he rings up talking shit.
Or you could just tell him that anyway which might shut him up

Get a quote to fix your wheel. Then call him up first and ask for the cash.

His fault. He should pay.

Went to the station. Told them the truth, mentioned electric assist. Nobody got hurt - they don't want to be involved.

Yep, he swung at me twice. Way too slow to actually hit me :lol:

He's mention of 'it's a motorcycle' is just to distract you of the fact that he was in the wrong. He hit you from behind, then took two swings at you.

I would take Adrian's advice, get a quote and call him up.

If he talks shit, we can arrange a Melbourne ebike meetup at that same corner/same time. All speaking with (fake) Russian accents. :twisted:

I'd call his bluff and say you went to the police and filed a report about him swinging at you. You technically did, they just didnt record it :p
Tell him your ebike is a perfectly legal store bought 200w kit and that the police said he was in the wrong for hitting you and is liable for the damage. Of course in the absence of any insurance or the like it's difficult to enforce but tell him that if he pays you $50 to have your wheel re-trued you'll leave it at that, otherwise you'll follow up with the police.

You could also try calling the local police number rather than the guys at the station you spoke to if they're just lazy. You could talk up the fact that he swung at you and made threats and that you fear for your safety. If they say nothing ask if it's legally OK for you to swing back when he confronts you (which you're expecting given he has your details).
"ok no worries, I thought I'd do things properly but that's fine, I guess I'll have to take matters into my own hands..." That normally gets their attention!

Was his bike damaged ?

Had a look through my videos. Got about a dozen with the corner. This is it:
[youtube]Y3cqokmSN3U[/youtube]
It's actually a 180 degree turn and I do take it wide. There's no other choice really.

Personally, I dont think you will hear from him. Once he cools down, he will realise he is so obviously in wrong and there would be no point pursuing it. Good to be on the front foot though with going to the cops. If he does happen to call, let him know you have filed a report against him and that he can expect a call from the cops. All bluff of course but puts you back on the front foot.

That is a shocker of a corner.

full-throttle said:
Had a look through my videos. Got about a dozen with the corner. This is it:
[youtube]Y3cqokmSN3U[/youtube]
It's actually a 180 degree turn and I do take it wide. There's no other choice really.
Oh man, its the same corner... When I rode to work once going down the Yarra turning into that very same St Kevins bridge under pass but coming from the other way I had a lycra tailing me and I only noticed him after I slowed down to turn into the St kevins turnoff, he kept going down the Yarra. It was odd because I have NEVER had any one behind me and he was very quiet, I was riding in quite a stealth mode as well I was going WOT when any cyclist was 15 meters close or further then I would fully turn off throttle and glide pass them, it was an ultra quiet morning and if I didn't do it like that I could be heard. Once I hit that turn off he I saw him as I was going upwards and I was stunned as he had been very quietly riding behind me watching me play my little throttle game. He could of been deliberately looking for a clash with me but I probably very slowly slowed down coming into that turn off and signaled so he couldn't blame me.. Maybe he is just a big fan of minimizing wind resistance.

Yeah that turn off is pretty crash prone, I have it easier coming in and out from the other direction but I do some times ultra slow down.
I doubt I have been aggravating any one on the Yarra because I barely been on there lately since I only got my wheel fixed and have been driving into work due to the cold weather. Only incidents I have had along the Yarra was once a guy coming towards me yelled something as he went pass, he was going fast and I was going fast the other way, I have absolutely no idea what he said, but he seemed cranky, was pretty funny actually.
I once went past two lycras riding together in the same direction, I kind of gave a smug smile as I went past, one yelled out "get a real bike", I was wearing my jet pilot helmet. Both of these incidents happened with in 150 meters of that turn off, its a bit of a hot spot I guess. When I think about it its probably one of the only places you can go crazy with speed its pretty flat and more wide open.

I actually just bought this side bike mirror that plugs into the handlebar side hole the other day http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-PC-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Mirror-Handlebar-Glass-Flexible-Rearview-/170946088838?pt=AU_Cycling_New_&hash=item27cd2e4f86&_uhb=1
Ordered a thumb throttle as well so will be changing over to this new setup soon.
I am sick of not knowing exactly what is behind me, snakey cyclists etc can be a real problem.

Actually riding along the Yarra I have changed my opinion of cyclists in general, I thought all cyclists were pretty calm neutral people but I have noticed a lot of them biting each others heads off trying to take over each other etc on the way to work, some of them are incredibly cranky.

I'll let you know if he calls me. I'm not going to report any damage - his bike and ego were the only two things hurt. If he's smart he'll learn not to trail anyone too close. Silly lycra.. Must've been watching the Tour too much lately. Prob thinks he's LA or something.

As TheBeastie wrote the bit before the turn is usually very quiet, so most cyclists coming on and off the bridge go straight and don't even look. The direction he was traveling he had to slow down and make sure no one is coming through, so he should've been on the brakes.

Riding into the sun it's impossible to know if there's someone behind me. So I always do a headcheck or indicate.

40kph is BS. My bike doesn't even get to 40. Not since I switched to a 6-fet controller. I was pedaling hard trying to get rid of lactic from the race on the weekend :mrgreen:

I need a sing on the back "CAUTION! DO NOT TAILGATE - DISC BRAKES IN USE" :lol:
Wish I had the camera pointing backwards :twisted:

There are certain things you have to avoid at certain times - swimming during the olympics, tennis during the open, and riding during the tour.

That does appear to be a stinker of a corner mate. 10 watt laser?

Just saw your vid, if that was me taking that corner the guy would have T boned me (swing wide then lock the back brakes to skid into the turn, then power out out the ramp :lol: )

Hyena said:
Just saw your vid, if that was me taking that corner the guy would have T boned me (swing wide then lock the back brakes to skid into the turn, then power out out the ramp :lol: )

Followed by yet another glamours Hyena HighSide moment, a visit to the hospital to get yet another broken wrist set in plaster followed by hooours at th computer editing the footage for s all to laugh at....again!

@FullThrottle... ::shakes head & plants tongue firmly in cheek:: your just luck you were using inferior disk brakes and it was likely wet, as you know disk brakes fade badly in wet conditions and the Lycra had rim brakes, if you were using rim OR better yet Drum brakes :| (As Cholo recommends) you would of stopped far quicker and sustained more serious damage and possible life threatning injury :-| :p :p
Glad your ok buddy ;)

KiM

full-throttle said:
Went to the station. Told them the truth, mentioned electric assist. Nobody got hurt - they don't want to be involved.

Yep, he swung at me twice. Way too slow to actually hit me :lol:

"Swing and a miss" is still assault - as opposed to battery (no pun intended).

full-throttle said:
No calls :roll:
However I must've caught something lycra-ish - for some unknown reason I rode my road bike to work this week. Twice! :mrgreen:
You rode a non-ebike? OK thats it, I DEMAND full-throttle be permanently banned and his IP firewalled from this forum server so he can never reach this site again. :twisted:

Cheers AJ. Unlike the lycra I stayed up, not a scratch. Not even one loose or bent spoke.

Haha nice try Beastie :lol:

In my defence I still commute on e-bike more often :wink:
And unlike some ^^ I enjoy riding all sorts of different bikes. Although the brakes on the roadie are rubbish.

But seriously, get yourself a proper bike :p

No ban, we just change your user name to No-throttle :p
Now what's this madness of wearing shorts in Melb in winter! Brrrr
I dont know how you switch between powered and unpowered bikes so easily. If i have to get on an unpowered bike and pedal along at the 20km/hr it's the end of the world, especially if I hit a hill, the slightest grade feels I've ridden into quicksand :lol:
I've never actually ridden a road bike though, obviously they're worlds easier to pedal than heavy MTBs with knobbies but I imagine my spine wouldnt like it very much

shorza said:
If he talks shit, we can arrange a Melbourne ebike meetup at that same corner/same time. All speaking with (fake) Russian accents.

That would be so frocken hilarious, everyone could use different loud accents and do a bit of pushing and shoving then start throwing fake punches at each other, bloody lycra's with their attitude problems

good to mix it up a bit. For me ebiking is all about having a great time on two wheels. Whether its out on the Fighter in the dirt or commuting to work on Super Commuter and trying to make as many lycra's wonder why the hell they can't match it with this old bloke on what seems to be be just a flat bar roadie. Plus of course a bit of meaningful exercise with the low powered pedal assist.

On a big fitness push at the moment though and doing quite a bit of road bike riding, especially hills. Doing the Mount Dandenong circuit on most weekends with a group of mates training for the up and coming 3 peaks ride (240km over Victoria's 3 main mountains. Stuff that :) ). All in their early fifties but super fit. 80 km of hill lets you know you have had a workout. PB'ed the 1 in 20 yesterday (well known Melbourne hill climb that is is a 6.5km distance at an average 5% gradient) with 17.30min. Then backed it up with 2 assents of the Wall (another killer climb. shorter at 5.5km but steeper than the 1 in 20). Best thing about riding hills is the reward of fast long descent though. sitting on 50to 70kph on a skinny tire road bike gets the adrenalin levels up that's for sure. Needless to say was feeling a little tired last night :)

t3sla said:
It's like and ebike, but good.
OK mods, that's a rename of
Full-throttle to No-throttle
and T3sla to Judas

:p

Kepler that's quite a ride, I'd be walking like a cowboy come Monday :lol:
As you say doing those speeds high downhill with only rubber bands between you and the road is a bit sketchy. It's funny, we do everything we can to beef up our ebike frames, fat tyres, huge brakes etc and yet roadies belt along with next to nothing but hopes and dreams between them and the road :p
The most retarded thing I've seen is a guy drafting maybe a foot at most from the back of truck down a hill at over 80km/hr (I slowly overtook at ~95).
I wouldn't do that even with my powerful disc brakes, let alone what the average light weight road bike uses. That truck only had to breath on his brakes and that guy would have been road pizza...

Kepler said:
Doing the Mount Dandenong circuit on most weekends with a group of mates training for the up and coming 3 peaks ride (240km over Victoria's 3 main mountains. Stuff that :) ). All in their early fifties but super fit. 80 km of hill lets you know you have had a workout. PB'ed the 1 in 20 yesterday (well known Melbourne hill climb that is is a 6.5km distance at an average 5% gradient) with 17.30min. Then backed it up with 2 assents of the Wall (another killer climb. shorter at 5.5km but steeper than the 1 in 20). Best thing about riding hills is the reward of fast long descent though. sitting on 50to 70kph on a skinny tire road bike gets the adrenalin levels up that's for sure. Needless to say was feeling a little tired last night :)
17:30 up 1/20 is a pretty good time.

3-peaks takes the same course as the newer Alpine Classic I think the course has been changed since the road at the Back of Falls became sealed.

Nice ride. I prefer the old course: Bright - Tawonga Gap - Falls Creek - back to Tawonga Gap - Bright -Mt Buffalo - back to Bright. The 1st year I rode it was 2 weeks after I got my road bike (in the video) Still had gears back then. The forecast was for over 40deg and there was a talk about the ride not going to Buffalo. To make the most out of it I went flat out to Falls and back. But the 2nd part was still open. Don't remember how I was back on my bike heading towards Buffalo. That thing is like a cliff! Can't even see the road going up.. It got to 45deg, the bitumen melted - road tyres were leaving imprints. Took me 9 hours incl stops that time.

Hyena said:
t3sla said:
It's like and ebike, but good.
OK mods, that's a rename of
Full-throttle to No-throttle
and T3sla to Judas

@1:17....
[youtube]Yky4QtRX_DI[/youtube]

Kepler that's quite a ride, I'd be walking like a cowboy come Monday :lol:
As you say doing those speeds high downhill with only rubber bands between you and the road is a bit sketchy. It's funny, we do everything we can to beef up our ebike frames, fat tyres, huge brakes etc and yet roadies belt along with next to nothing but hopes and dreams between them and the road :p
The most retarded thing I've seen is a guy drafting maybe a foot at most from the back of truck down a hill at over 80km/hr (I slowly overtook at ~95).
I wouldn't do that even with my powerful disc brakes, let alone what the average light weight road bike uses. That truck only had to breath on his brakes and that guy would have been road pizza

Momentum! :cry:
Road bike are a engineering marvel, light and efficient beyond comprehension...
Unlike roadies which are the polar opposite, colour coding lyrca to match their bikes.....

Back