Full-throttle's 1st

I saw a guy with a helmet just like what you have on the Yarra today, I don't know if it was you, I went past so fast I barely got to really look.
I was wearing my full clear visor scooter helmet going past. If it was you would be good to if you have video of me going past as I am interested in seeing how gay I may look in my helmet :roll: .

Full throttle has gone out for the night so asked me to look through his footage from today.
Here's a screen grab as he passed you:

:mrgreen:

6a013487ee1753970c015432f4b979970c-350wi

Haha prob was me. Around 7pm?
Don't remember seeing anyone with an unusual helmet though..

Was also wearing the new armour which just arrived. The SaS-Tec foam is pretty cool. It's soft and flexible normally but hardens instantly on impact.

New helmet has arrived too. Undamaged this time.

@ Hyena: is that your hot date from SanFran? The bike looks like something big C would approve of :lol:

Hyena said:
Full throttle has gone out for the night so asked me to look through his footage from today.
Here's a screen grab as he passed you:

:mrgreen:

6a013487ee1753970c015432f4b979970c-350wi
Yep thats me. Few! I don't look nearly as gay as I was worried about.
Was worried about those stockings but feel much better now.

full-throttle said:
Haha prob was me. Around 7pm?
Don't remember seeing anyone with an unusual helmet though..
Nar it was in the morning about 9:30am. It was a guy in a redish ear covering helmet like your earlier one. Obviously trying to avoid the cold, was 8c this morning. The guy did look like he was pedaling pretty hard so it was kind of confusing if it was you.

Thats a photo of ES user "LiveForPherrets" I think... :eek:

The start of winter arrived with a strong storm, with the bike path under 3m of water in some spots.
sat1.jpg
sat2.jpg
While I've been caught in the storm very briefly, all the washed up sediment hasn't diminished in four days. So about 10 sections of my commute are more exciting than usual :lol:
wed1.jpg

Hyena said:
Really ? I thought it was AussieGerbiler
Bah how did I miss that - gold.

Man that is a lot of mud F-T. Environmental hub cooling is successful eh. :D
Bafang day spa has a ring to it...

Wow that's some extreme bike path obstruction! Time to fit some big balloon tyres and super wide paddle spokes :p
I take it that's an overflowing river those guys are kayaking on and not actually the bike path ?

How well did your mudguards do their job ? I imagine even with good/big ones it'd be impossible to arrive at work clean (if you ride in your work clothes)

Haha inflatable ballast would be interesting

The kayaks are a couple of meters off the actual path. People standing is where the path disappears under water. The wall with an ad further down is 2.5m high :shock:

Mud guards are ok. Still manage to get my feet wet though. I change at work. There are even showers for times when things get real messy.

Without any warning and being at the bottom of a hill those mud patches are lethal in the dark..

full-throttle said:
Haha inflatable ballast would be interesting
I reckon that'd be a fun project actually, flip out arms with floats on the forks and chain stays and large paddle type fins/blades coming off the hub or spokes. They'd only have to stop just shy of the tyres so the bike could be ridden normally on land but it could churn away in the way. Albeit with the fins and floats causing terrible aero the rest of the time. Anyway, what were we talking about ? :lol:

Without any warning and being at the bottom of a hill those mud patches are lethal in the dark..
Indeed! That sounds like a prime place to set up a camera and wait for the lulz :p

full-throttle said:
No difference. The 12 FET is an overkill.

Both are XieChang/Shenzhen/ecrazyman or whatever else they call them. The 6 FET has the 116 chip. Both have 4110 FETs and SMPS fitted.

What SMPS do you use? Is it for the 12V or 5V? I am just modifying a 6fet for a bike, and was thinking it would be nice to run my headlights off of the controllers 5v, but it would need to be able to provide a couple of amps.

adrian_sm said:
full-throttle said:
No difference. The 12 FET is an overkill.

Both are XieChang/Shenzhen/ecrazyman or whatever else they call them. The 6 FET has the 116 chip. Both have 4110 FETs and SMPS fitted.

Hey. What battery/phase amps are you running your BPM at? What is the general consensus for the limits we should be keeping within. I was trying to find Keplers posts on the subject but failed.

I just bought one to get an all-weather bike together. Will also be using a 6fet XieChang, running 15s LiPo. Currently has IRFB3006 fets in it, but that might be pushing my luck since they are 60v fets.

Gday Adrian,
I have to confess to running a 12FET Xiechang shunted to 35A on my Code 10 in 26". I think Kep said he stopped at about 1900 watts on his BPM based fighter. I suspect from the occasional growls and squeals last night I'm heading for grief.
Not the good kind of growls and squeals either.

I think Kep said that clutches were failing nowadays moreso than the peanut buttering of gears...

I'm toying with the 50ml of transmission fluid trick, but it means I'll have the keep the axle holes horizontal when loading into the van or working on the bike.

adrian_sm said:
What SMPS do you use? Is it for the 12V or 5V? I
12V. My own.
file.php

It's can only deliver 400mA. The best thing it reduces the standby current of the controller @ 52V to only 20mA. Very handy for those times when I forget to unplug it over the weekend.

Powering lights from 12V or 5V rail of the e-bike controller is not a good idea. RC controllers with BEC is ok though.

Mmmm. Nice. Got a spare one you would be willing to part with?

Guess I'll be running the lights from a seperate DC-DC, a little bulkier than I would have liked, but much more capable.

Oh, and curse that bloody storm. It took out my HTPC amp, now I am stuck listening to the crappy speakers in my TV. ARrrggghh.

adrian_sm said:
Got a spare one you would be willing to part with?
All gone..
adrian_sm said:
Guess I'll be running the lights from a seperate DC-DC, a little bulkier than I would have liked, but much more capable.
I wanted to design a LED driver (got a few working designs since 2005) for HV, but got no time for it.. Just get a DX one and run it of 2-3 cells.
adrian_sm said:
Oh, and curse that bloody storm. It took out my HTPC amp
That sucks.. Disconnect your appliances at the wall before a storm. Nothing safer against a near-hit.

Great thread.
I really like that thin battery design you had going, would like painted white to match the bike and even more stealthy.

The fireworks scare the crap out of me as it happened to me and I can only say what would have happened if I were looking up close at it or it happened parked at a shopping centre with some short kids next to it. It really really scares me.

Your commute vid is also way busier than I would be comfortable with to. Way too much traffic... You ever get scared off parked cars doors?

Shame there are no bike paths to work..

Wish you all the safety.

Cheers John,

I don't ride on the roads much these days, too stressful. Some people don't even feel safe driving over here.

Not sure if painting the pack white would make it look any stealthier. It doesn't bother me anyway.

As every other morning I have to turn off one path into the other making an awkward 135 degree left corner.

This morning as usual, I indicated with my hand, hit the brakes and BANG! A lycra rear ended me :twisted:
Must've been trailing me or something. I stayed up, not a scratch. But he hit the deck and took a bit of effort to get his bike out of my back wheel. The wheel is a bit wobblier than before.

Now comes the interesting part: he got all excited, took a swing at me and spitting saliva started to accusing me of turning at 40kph :roll:

Couple of other riders came past and stopped to have a look. Obviously he brought up the e-bike thing - "It's a motorbike, you were traveling at 40kph. blah blah blah" Then had another swing at me.

Anyway, we exchanged numbers. I got one of the other guys number. Waiting for my phone to ring.. Any advice?

Did he get any photos of your bike?

You know he would be pretty silly to bring the ebike thing into it - he was able to do 40kph without one.

And he hit you as you stopped - how does it matter if you were on an ebike or a tricycle.

If he does argue that by some stretch of the law that your bike is a road vehicle, he's silly. If he rear ended you in a car he'd still be at fault on the road, whether your car was registered or not....

Back