GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Sorry to hear about the fire as I just had one 4 months ago. The insurance sent in sev-pro in the green truck and they are a joke and billed the insurance comp. a lot. I told them the block needed to be sand blasted and they got out the 4in. grinder after 3 months they sandblasted after they had finish and painted. The first thing last.
I'm now triiing to clean my tools out of under atrap in the back yard so as to put them back in the garage. Still looking for the best cleaning agent to remove the soot. I wash and scrub three times and it helps. But still looking for somthing to cut thru the soot on my tools. Glad you are o.k. and love the running of the stop sign vidieo. Good luck.

P.s. insurance and fire is a racket and many phone calls ect.

claim filed. agent had recommended proserv. they called me, and came out this morning. explained the cleanup process (total and thorough) and they document anything destroyed and file it for me w/ insurance... after that we haggle about replacement costs etc. when asked the cause i said i 'figured it was either the rc batteries or the charger'. and that's the last it was discussed. no real question of coverage. fingers crossed.

when pressed the guy estimated cleanup at between $2-4k including chemicals. they take everything out, clean it, organize it, box it if i wish :shock: and itemize the damage.. and they clean the inside of the garage to whatever extent they need to so that there's no residual smell.

they start monday morning and will take a couple days.

yeah, someone upstairs is looking out for me!

i want to get out there now and start building up and ebike. just waiting till wednesday is going to be hard.

i suppose i have to think about what i want different. :wink:

when i sent the burnt controller back to keywin, i asked if he could program it for 30s. i was waiting to hear if he *could*, and then i hear back today that he DID. so i guess 30s is an option. :lol: talk about cooking a motor! 30s will probably move my overheat time from 8 min to 5 min, at least on that hs3540.

a custom swingarm with motor is a nice idea. i love farfle's bike. but my making that now is out of the question. i'm still in the middle of home renovations! in fact, i need the table saw this weekend to make some custom cabinets!

look what i saw at the metro, btw:
20130322_090702.jpg

(what in the world is on the valve stems?) handling must be kinda silly.

anyway, thanks again for the kind thoughts. i am indeed a lucky bastard. and i'll probably make it out better than i started! especially if i have all my junk carted off to an ebay store. :idea:

i'm sorry if you asked me something and i didn't reply.

oh, yeah, my garage must be practically airtight. there's hardly any eave, so i didn't put vents, except for one at the end of the attic. so oxygen down low must have been scarce. still, to think that the 2x4 wood bench would burn till it looked like firewood, and then go out! not to mention a few chemicals nearby... :shock:

Greg, you are truly lucky! Glad the insurance is covering the cleanup...

GCinDC said:
look what i saw at the metro, btw:
20130322_090702.jpg

(what in the world is on the valve stems?) handling must be kinda silly.

Those are valve cap LED lights. Kinda like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Auto-Bike-Bicycle-Tire-Valve-Blue-LED-Light-Cap-Cover-/370752078752

Glad to hear the good news Greg! Let's hope you didn't burn all of your good luck on saving the garage. :wink:
You going to kill this thread and start anew or keep continuing this thread like a champ? 8)
Did your gloves burn up along with your helmet :shock: ?

@greg you didn't answer our questions about your wife reacted? Did your wife mad at you for the unattended?

Glad you, and your house, are OK. You are are very lucky man, and fortunate to have good luck and bad luck in equal proportion.

-JD

Just saw this. Glad the fire did not sustain and propagate! Is your garage real airtight? That might explain it as others said, as oxygen starvation. When I saw the charred 2x4 of your bench, I don't think those usually self extinguish after getting charred that bad.

I believe the brunt of the fire was localized to the sides of the bike. One side was open to the air. The other side was under the worktable (which somehow didn't catch on fire). As the venting stopped all was left was the smoldering fire on the bottom of the metal battery frame to the bicycle top tube (seat & handlebars). What's your worktable made of? It's still winter here, and any humidity that your table may have soaked up could have prevented any further fires. I find it hard to believe that a garage is airtight and lacking of oxygen to keep a fire controlled.

20130321_080022.jpg

The top battery frame could have kept venting flames pointing downward also.

Hmmm. That was the original position of the helmet :?:

Wow what a mess!! So glad to hear the damage stayed where it was. You are a very lucky/blessed man to still have a house and family. Hope your next build does less damage to all. And to think I was trying to whine about killing my 12v booster pack today. Did not balance it well before I added it I would suspect. a couple A123s 26650s just went pop as I rolled into the living room. I know the sound so took a close look immediately then off came the offending cells and outside they went. No smoke no flames. Still I only charge when I am in the room with them. Just put the whole pack out in the garage away from combustibles thanks for the thought I will sleep better.

Wow man. Sorry to see this. It's making me once again rethink keeping my lipo. For now I think I'm going to store it outside in the gas grill. At least until I can fab up a steel case for it on the bike.

I did switch to all lifepo4 for my main bike, but use the 5ah of lipo for my fun short distance 45lb ebike. I bulk charge it all the time with a 48v sla charger (like tonight out in front of Whole Foods Market, out of sight), though I do check the individual voltages all the time.

Why not consider the a123 20ah pouch cells? 24s won't be light, but with the power you run, I can't see it making a difference. Do a split pack that straddles the top tube near the stem.

After this sobering event,
I thought we could use a little reminder of the joy that is a bicycle.
[youtube]3W50hGEs5JE[/youtube]

Greg can you uses some loaner batteries or controllers to get you rolling sooner? Many of us have duplicate stuff laying around you could use to get back on the road.

GC as said above I am very thankful that this incident didn't propagate through your garage.

Reading this thread in more detail last night I ran across the db25 construction as shown in the picture below. In our boards quest for "best battery design and fab" I am led to comment on it a bit after pondering it overnight. (Hope you don't mind.)
20130223_134605.jpg

Now I am not saying or implying that this is the cause of the fire, but let me give the rationale for an alternate, though more time consuming method for fabbing db25's when used for power or cell taps to "up our game" a bit.

The rational for using appropriately sized shrink of about 1cm length on the leads of closely packed connectors is as follows:

• If we were doing an FMECA (Failure Modes Effects and Criticality Analysis) we would classify this connector as a "Crit 1" Mission/Vehicle critical connector because of the severity of a short failure mode, as it is unfused. It would get extra care in design, fabrication and inspection.
  • When you use shrink over the connector solder tail, you have an effective "one failure tolerance" against shorting. This is achieved as there are two layers of insulation that must be breached for a short. One on each wire, the heat shrink.
  • When the right size is used and it is shrunk right, it will tend to stick to the wire insulation if there is a solder joint failure (due to either fatigue or cold solder joint). This will allow the insulation to extend over the bare end when it pulls off.
  • For fatigue resistance we would likely pot the wire end of this connector. We can achieve this with a tape dam around the connector and some overnight epoxy or potting compund.

Does this add time, cost and aggravation? You bet. But the inconvenience that you are describing dealing with this incident in your garage is substantial. I encourage all of us to start to think about failure modes in our future designs. This is how we will get better, and get wider acceptance in the world.

For example, I described in another thread getting my neighbors Kubota tractor going after a dead short in the starter/solenoid that smoked the main battery cables. Kubota was ingenious!! The + lead that wrapped around the polymer fuel tank was a wire gauge larger than the - cable that was in open air. The - cable melted, and the + looked brand new. They had obviously thought this through and so designed the cables to isolate this failure mode from propagating... thus saving my neighbor's garage.

from March 7, top of page 51, looks prophetic now!
Trackman417 said:
GCinDC said:
charged to 96v as usual at work w/ modded bmsbatt charger, then rode in extreme wind using 5.6ah.

towards the end, the CA tot voltage dropped to 81V under load. :roll:

then at rest and the 20s pack paralleled up to 5s, cell one is looking ugly and has clearly been getting hammered, esp the weakest ones that make it up:
20130306_144859.jpg

i never mentioned it, but the new 4s pack I've got in series now is a 25c pack, so it may be acting like a bully in there. :lol:

I would say my last fair wells to that cell. That is pretty scary, looking at how low that cell is compared to every-other cell. Couldn't that one cell be the majority of all of the voltage sag problems you have? I would get rid of it at the sake of keeping your house. I don't need the risk of your gloves catching on fire, then where would I be? :mrgreen:
and yes, trackman, the gloves are gone. they were melted under my helmet...

so let's back up and talk about what caused the fire. we may never know, but a few possibilities are:
- the psu or bc168 blew up and started the fire. unlikely. the bc168 shows almost no damage. as soon as the toilet case underneath melted, it fell to the ground and there's little burn marks on it, only melted mush on the bottom. the psu looked exploded, but it was wedged between the bench and the bike, and sat there grilling for the entire cookout.

- a cell could have been punctured. certainly possible but this was an old pack (except for the 4s group that sat on top) that had 400 or so cycles on it, and has been sitting in the same config for a year. and while the frame is steel, there are no sharp edges on the inside. and i've had no major recent wipeouts. still a possibility...

- the balance harness which was charging the the pack @ 8A. it could have shorted, but would that have resulted in a fire? all other shorts i've experienced result in vaporized wires and broken connections.
EDIT: just before posting this, i saw BigMoose's post about the db25! i humbly accept the advice for all future wiring. but BM, is it still likely such a short/failure catches the pack on fire? duh, i guess so. i keep thinking of the balance wiring like sizzleers under that much current, and i guess exposed, they'll catch everything else of fire..

- there could have been a broken wire in the balance harness that i replaced a month ago. the electrical tape looks like hell, but i cut, stripped and soldered fresh wire underneath each. no cold soldering bs.
20130224_133027.jpg

but if a balance wire failed, how would a cell get overcharged using this charging method? it would be understandable if i were charging via the power leads and a broken balance wire could no longer provide a signal about its voltage. instead, if a balance wire were broken, the cell wouldn't get charged, and then couldn't overcharge.

- a cell overcharge (4.5V+?) does seem to be the likely explanation... esp considering the evidence of how puffed out the bottom pack was, to have widened the steel frame. (see the pack remains vid about here).

so how could a cell have been overcharged?

let's recall that this pack has been punished:
- i charged it at 10A/1C in freezing temps (with bulk charger).
- i discharged it at 60A in freezing temps.
- i regularly balance charged it to 4.2V using a cheap unconfigurable rc charger, when paralleled to 5s, before i got bc168.
- i undercharged it (to 4v/cell when bulk charging to 96V for 24s) and then rode beyond 80% capacity in freezing temps.

poor treatment to be sure, but nothing to CAUSE FIRE.

so now let's consider the critical phase, the last couple weeks...

as requoted at the top of this thread, on March 6, i charged only to 96V (probably more like 95.6V) then rode home using 5.6Ah and noticed at one point the CA voltage dropping to 81V.

what about the individual cells? well, since i sold my lipo buzzers, i didn't monitor the cell voltages under load! and this is probably the critical failure. (i'd been waiting for replacement voltage monitors to get in stock at HK!). and instead i had only two bm6s left (one of which was unreliable, reading cell #2 at .5V too HIGH and caused general distrust of the devices), shown attached here to monitor:
20130226_073955.jpg

so inadequate monitoring at a time that was critical.

but when i got home, i checked all the voltages at rest (never posted this):
[youtube]2os0YDOtz4U[/youtube]
if you watched, you may have noticed that only three cells were checked... that's cause one of the wires broke off my discharge monitor harness: :roll:
20130323_065353.jpg

so for the past two weeks i've not been able to check that cell group.... NOTE: this was NOT used for charging...

anyway, then i checked the three cell groups individually with the more accurate bc168, and found some cells lower than others, but nothing lower than 4.3V. and then i paralleled all of them, at which point they read:
20130306_144859.jpg

since about then (3/11 actually), i ONLY charged using the bc168 at work and at home, and i would parallel all cells immediately after the ride, so i wouldn't notice any discrepancy between cell groups. (i did however out of curiosity always first check the 4s pack voltages, then the 5s8p voltages, before paralleling them both via the bc168 board - the 4s pack voltages were always closer and somewhat higher than the 5s pack).

this monday, i upped the bc168 charge to 8A. it had been at 5A before that. and it was set to charge to 4.18V/cell.

but each time i'd hop on the bike in the morning, the charger left on all night, the CA would read 99.9V. and by the time i'd start up the hill at mass ave, after .4ah or so, the CA voltage would dip to 84V. that's quite a lot of sag for lipo, and if we consider that the new 4s 25c pack sagged little, then the 20s pack was sagging a LOT more, and most likely one or two cells in particular! :roll:

and on March 6, for example, if the total voltage dropped to 81V, and we speculate that the new 25c 4s pack only dropped to 3.7v/cell (x 4 = 14.8v) and we subtract that from the total voltage (81-14.8V=66.2), and the divide 66.2 by 20 cells, the average cell voltage is 3.31V, which i guess is tolerable, except that we know from my vid of there was a voltage delta of .4V AT REST (87V), god knows what the delta was under 60A load...

for posterity, the data from the vid shows (italics for unknown/calculated values):
A1 3.3
A2 3.7
A3 3.65
A4 3.72
A5 3.72

B1 3.31
B2 3.73
B3 3.7
B4 3.68
B5 3.69
18.11, delta: 0.40V

C1 3.36
C2 3.71
C3 3.69
C4 3.705
C5 3.705

18.17, delta: 0.351V

D1 3.3
D2 3.7
D3 3.65
D4 3.72
D5 3.72

18.09, delta: 0.40V

the fact that while the packs have ~0.4V of imbalance AT REST, each cell row is fairly well balanced... #1 at 3.3V, #2,#4, #5 at 3.7V, and #3 at 3.65V...

again, this was two weeks ago, and we don't know what's been going on with the first group since i couldn't monitor it separately..

hmm. i thought i was narrowing in on the cause. but now i'm not so sure.

i guess the important question i was getting at: how low did the voltage of Cell 1 get UNDER LOAD? its voltage popped way up above the others when charging, so it was definitely circling the drain. in its death throes. but was the the mystery packs cell 1 much worse than the others? or did the group fail together?

let's say they all dropped to 2.7V together. this is No No land for lipos... then what happens? each successive charge is like rolling the dice? the packs puff and puff and puff until one goes...?

anyway, i hope the facts in here help. there's no reason to get hysterical about these...

some changes i'm considering:
- nanos: less imbalance, better quality, hopefully. quit using them when they're so close to end of life.
- better balance wiring
- fire alarm in the garage! with that alone, i don't see need for blankets, etc

oh yeah, i meant to answer other q's:
- gopro was in the house but the case is destroyed
- wife was surprisingly cool. she'd been on work retreat, so was unusually relaxed and 'centered', and i told her over the phone when she was about to board the plane. she returned home at 9:30pm when i was out taking pics, and was amazed, if this particular expression doesn't show it.
20130321_211432.jpg

from here it looks like the main power cables where the packs are all connected in series and drop down to the controller had shorted to the bottom of the battery frame.

where the cables dropped over the edge of that angle it looks like it shorted there initially, then the wires got so hot they melted the insulation off and shorted together.

i don't think the fire was related to the pouches being outa balance or over discharged. it looks like a short to me. that led to thermal runaway.

dnmun said:
from here it looks like the main power cables where the packs are all connected in series and drop down to the controller had shorted to the bottom of the battery frame.
hey dennis. before plugging in the bc168 however, i unplug the main series connector. that main plug, still connected to the controller hangs, but is not connected to battery..

a couple more pics:
20130323_105439.jpg

trackman's favorite gloves
20130323_105511.jpg

20130323_105605.jpg

20130323_105639.jpg

20130323_105651.jpg

maybe i should unplug this? :shock:
20130323_105705.jpg

20130323_105836.jpg

20130323_105858.jpg

the last picture, that was close. the solvent in the chain lube woulda been the straw that broke the camel's back. is that mineral spirits in the jug behind it?

big pieces of wood need the heat to continue to remain burning or they just go out from the wood soaking up the heat from the flame front. just like in the wood stove.

but the solvent in the chain lube woulda moved the fire to a higher level, and the mineral spirits were gonna be the source of total conflagration. imo

it sure looks like there is a big chunk of metal burned outa that angle iron under the cables where they run down to the controller.

Good example why Fire Departments always recommend and/or for commercial inspection require that flammable liquids be stored in metal cabinets.

You're a very lucky man. Interesting for me to see that you do a lot of different things I would never, ever, do with RC Lipoly for a commuter battery. All that series/parallel crap and iffy balance wiring on top of unattended charging, no thanks....

Oh well, from the ashes, right?

maybe it was the case after all.. there are many sharp spots, but they didn't come in contact with the pack.

there was one sharp spot like a thorn on the bottom. i rubbed it and it flaked off and left a hole. you can barely see the light coming through. and the spot looks bluish.
20130323_133530.jpg

there's also a sharp spot where i cut the round hole for the switch. an edge there could have poked the 4s pack. :roll:
20130323_133524.jpg

20130323_133606.jpg

i was going to redo this case, when i sewed the bag. when i first cut it, i had tape all over the sharp edges. then it got repurposed and then 'QC' dropped off... definitely embarrassing. :oops: but sharing for the greater good.

i thought there was a notch burned out behind this bundle but i guess it is just an illusion from the discoloration of the metal:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xrmzzk9OIrI/UUr4rWtx80I/AAAAAAAATPY/n8k5SaD1IJo/s900/20130321_080745.jpg

GCinDC said:
trackman's favorite gloves
20130323_105511.jpg
:cry:
In all seriousness, it looks like having the metal around the battery's helped to keep the flames from reaching farther out then they did. If you looked at lipo going up in smoke videos, the flames even one small pack produces, are pretty freaking tall :shock: . You had about 1kwh of battery that was going off. For the next build, I would definately try putting sheet metal walls on both of just one side of the bike. And place the side with the sheet metal against the wall. Having the other side sheet metal free allows easy access to the charge/discharge and balance plug. In the worste case scenario, the flames and a good portion of heat will shoot towards the mostly empty space in the garage. It definately worth a shot.

Edit:

Trackman417 said:
I would say my last fair wells to that cell. That is pretty scary, looking at how low that cell is compared to every-other cell. Couldn't that one cell be the majority of all of the voltage sag problems you have? I would get rid of it at the sake of keeping your house. I don't need the risk of your gloves catching on fire, then where would I be? [/b]:mrgreen:

I did say that didn't I? :oops:

Wow Greg, you are lucky and toast !
Sorry for your loss, most likely the sharp edges on the Case as you mentioned... what a waste and a shame... If you want or need I've an S-750 frame you can have as a replacement, not a DH Comp but useable.

-Mike

It seems that it was either a sharp point on the case that wore through a battery and shorted cells, or you pushed a cell to hard and then charged it. Seeing how old they were and with no cell level monitoring or LVC, it could have easily been that. After seeing lots of tests of Lipo here that seems the sure fire trick for a fire ball. Luke had some cells that rubbed on the death bike tire and had a chunk out of them. No fire, but he saw them right away.

It is crazy how the fire effected stuff. What are those target bags made out of. They weren't even melted, but the helmet only inches closer was fried and the bins that seemed further away melted. Crazy and lucky.

Clay

mike! the dude who first helped me with lipo in 09! man, i asked you so many questions. nice to see you on again. thanks for the offer. and thank everyone for offers of stuff or help or both. suffice it to say i'm in a period of reflection... :|

hard to imagine going back to lifepo! (the house is still standing after all...)

i should really get off my ass and pedal. i would have ages ago but it adds an hour to my commute and that's time i don't have. i just need to squeeze it in tho.

anyway, the more i think about that thorny part on the inside bottom of the case, i think that was something caused by the fire, and didn't exist before. i'd never cut or poked the case there, as i had in other spots.

i've been reading this great article on lipo: Understanding RC LiPo Batteries
i highly recommend a full read, but the following point seems particularly relevant:
rchelicopterfun.com said:
OVER DISCHARGING - THE NUMBER ONE KILLER OF LIPO'S!!!
... a LiPo cell that drops below 3 volts under load is almost always & irreversibly damaged (reduced capacity or total inability to accept a charge). 3 volts under load is generally equates to about 3.5 volts open circuit resting voltage...
i didn't fully respect this. several cells dropped below 3V, and one likely well farther, but i failed to notice it, and by parallel balance charging, i couldn't tell.

that bc168 never turns off, by the way, and probably was pumping current into that flaky cell till the last second (because the voltage kept settling).

also on that article was a cool vid, which i'm now sprinkling around the forum. good to see how these batts are made, in case that help understanding too, unless you prefer to think they're full of yummy pop tart filling. :mrgreen:
[youtube]6vBH6zlrXuM[/youtube]
god forbid i'd make a post w/o a vid.. :p

Ykick said:
Good example why Fire Departments always recommend and/or for commercial inspection require that flammable liquids be stored in metal cabinets.

You're a very lucky man. Interesting for me to see that you do a lot of different things I would never, ever, do with RC Lipoly for a commuter battery. All that series/parallel crap and iffy balance wiring on top of unattended charging, no thanks....

Oh well, from the ashes, right?

Yet after all the fires and warnings people still do this stuff.

How many long time members on ES obey the newbee lipo rules ? ? ?

Crazy is as crazy does ?

Back