GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Well said bigmoose.

Sitting there watching your batteries go up in flames may be cool to see, but isn't much help. So just watching your batteries charge isn't really that great of an idea to prevent a fire.

On the other hand, setting up charging area where only the batteries, or bike and batteries will be damaged is far more useful. If it goes, it goes and self destructs without hurting anything else.

You need to be prepared for it not just watching it. That could be handled in many ways; some good ones already suggested. Basically, either come up with a way to be alerted AND put it out. Charge in a place where it can only hurt itself. Or both of the above.

If you are prepared for the pack to burst into flames, then it doesn't need to be baby sat. Just baby sitting may just mean you get to watch a cool fire that is leaping to other stuff that you can't put out either.

Greg, I hope you and the fam are doing OK after letting this all settle in a bit. I know you will come up with a better way moving forward as you always do. Nice job on the reno of the office, looks just like the perspective drawing. Looking forward to seeing the new improved garage work space.

Clay

I have my lipo wrapped in corrugated plastic, it's a good material for light protection and padding. Then put it in something strong like a metal case.

Here is a Ammo Can I picked up from the UK. Its storage for my 30 packs. I guess if 1 pack was to catch on fire then the rest would and it would be 1 red hot box!

dsc00558tf.jpg

dsc00396hw.jpg

Forgive me for not noticing before:
Suddenly I am motivated to build my battery storage out of shuttle tiles. :shock:

So very glad no one was hurt by this close shave! From the images, it looks to me that it was one massive intense fire – done and gone in scant seconds. The high momentary heat ran its’ course but did not sustain long enough to cause conflagration. Oxygen was not entirely depleted; if it had – our poor fellow would not have been able to walk out of the room. We can see evidence of high though very short endothermic reaction by the singeing of the wood and the deformation of plastics nearby.

The wood could not continue to combust because it was not properly lit, and/or might have had other fire-inhibiting treatment; but the event energy released was not sustained. An alternative theory could be that the quickness of the event consumed local oxygen to prevent sustainability – thus we see evidence such as a flash bulb or phosphorous explosion. The tires on the bike –though damaged, look intact and pressurized. The seat is not entirely destroyed. Ahh! Perhaps the errant cell vented and the hydrogen ignited – thus consuming local oxygen: That would do it! H2 + O2 is one of the fastest combustion reactions with tremendous energy conversion to water -> momentary superheated steam. Followed with a plasma discharge: Clues for that are melted metal. I didn’t see enough of that, so perhaps that was less dramatic.

Regardless, You and yours are alive and well and that is all that matters. Material items can be replaced, but not our loved ones. I am really glad this played out with far less damage than imaginable. It gives one pause to consider that angels might exist. :)

I think we can all learn from experiences such as this, and sharing is both therapeutic and intelligent.

Gary, I look forward to learning about your next ride when the opportunity presents at your leisure.
Most sincere, KF

i've started researching stainless steel hoods, for making a nice charging station. i love that idea! that with an alarm tied to the house/cell phone ought to make it safe enough for (shhh) unattended charging...

and thanks, KF. i'm absurdly lucky.

since we're on the topic - pete, your extension cords kinda remind me - folks might be interested to know i had a little fire 12 years ago...

they never identified the cause but speculated a cheap power strip/extension cord. while i was away for the weekend, my studio apartment on the 9th floor of the historic cairo building caught fire...

i got a call from a friend and i still remember the exact words: "everything you had is now gone."

technically, the firemen put it out in the alley:
2001-Apt+Fire012.jpg

thank god no one was hurt and they put it out before it spread to other units.

but you could say it changed my life... i was basically homeless for two years, and otherwise i wouldn't have met my wife.. not that i recommend it.
2001-Apt+Fire021.jpg

but i'm fascinated by the forces of nature and consider it's creative and destructive work, ART.

for example, a melted dimmer switch:
DSC00057.JPG

a radio on a high shelf in the bathroom which was untouched by fire, but obviously not by heat:
2001-Apt+Fire020.jpg

but from the ashes:
DSC00001.JPG

i rebuilt it:
DSC00112.JPG

and on that note, here are some words i try to live by:
Rudyard Kipling in Poem: IF said:
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And---which is more---you'll be a Man, my son!

I have that same poem on my wall.

anyway your fire has made me rethink my lipo charging and storage situation. used to do it in the garage. gonna use a metal shipping trunk in the garden from now on. need to get some large waterproof (airtight) plastic containers too to go inside the large steel trunks.

I am a big fan of your work GC and i am glad the lipo didnt cut short your time with us. I hope that other here are scrutinising their own safety precautions too. That video knoxie made was well worth the watch.

WOW :shock: ,one lucky cat,better go buy a lottery ticket.ive never saw such destruction in a single area and not burn everything else down around it.im pressed for charging at the moment,and can only charge in a 9 apt place in the basement.guess im gonna stick with what i know best,damn i was lookin forward to my first lipo build :cry: .

Jesus Greg, I leave this thread alone for 10 minutes and you go and try and burn your house down! :p
It sucks that your bike is gone but as others have said it could have been much worse and I'm glad that you, your family and (most) of your possessions are OK.

I'm overly blase when it comes to monitoring lipo charging but this is a good wakeup for me. I have too much lipo and too many bikes to store them all in fireproof quarters but I think a smoke alarm is a $10 investment that everyone would be silly not to make. The other suggestion of throwing a fire blanket over the bike when charging is a good one. I heed your warning but I think you've introduced enough doubt about possible causes (in my mind atleast) that this wasn't a spontaneous fire. Sure the risk is always there but I think a smoke alarm (+/- fire blanket if I can be enthused enough for find one :p ) is all I will personally do as far as unattended charging goes.

etriker said:
There would be way less ebike battery fires if people kept an eye on their batteries while charging like the rc charger instructions say.
Perhaps, but RC chargers like many products and companies overstate things to cover themselves. It's all well and good to say never charge unattended and always charge outside but this is rarely practical. Do you always turn off your cellphone when refuelling your car as per the warning signs ? Ever had a close look at a box of paracetamol to find one if the listed side effects is 'may cause headaches' ?

I want you to not charge your batteries unattended.
I want you to stand on one leg until further notice.

melodious said:
Your messy, you make shortcuts, and you take a lot of risks

Yeah Greg! You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun.
:mrgreen:

yes, knoxie, excellent vid. love how it starts with the opening logo catching fire like a matchstick.

meanwhile, on the opposite end of the spectrum, i just watched this and think nancies in the crowd will enjoy vid of how to destroy batteries safely by some dude named luke :twisted: :
[youtube]LExMC5buoFg[/youtube]

kittens, is right AJ. you made my day with that post! thanks. :wink:

anyway, update on the cleanup. guy had told me they wouldn't show if it rained on Monday. it actually snowed!
20130325_055618.jpg

but they came anyway 'to clean out the attic'. so i was shocked when they'd basically wiped the bench into boxes and bags:
20130325_172522.jpg

there were a few things i'd wanted to keep. yes the bench looked like chaos, but there were lots of little things that most people wouldn't recognize (round spoke wrench, freewheel puller, slotted washers, etc) not to mention bigger items that would be much harder to replace, like the 18fet enclosure (the board of which is under repair in china):
20130325_193406.jpg

i'd also found the garage door open and no one there when i got home, so i got a bit loud with the dude on the phone. seems they broke the garage door opener (which wasn't doing to well anyway, and one crew left 5 minutes ago only for the owner to return a bit later.) and he assured me that i could have anything i wanted from the boxes and bags, and nothing was going to be thrown away. it had just all been itemized as non recoverable. this box in particular looked like it'd make a great christmas gift for a kid:
20130325_193225.jpg

i can't wait to see what this list of items looks like! they also said the bench was destroyed and had to come out. ok, i guess the price list is going up. far higher than it would if i were writing it! seems like it just needs a scrape to me..
20130325_172535.jpg

they did clean up the attic, as promised, and all the junk is in the trailer, for me to go thru tonight:
20130325_172724.jpg

but i'm in no rush to replace anything. i think it's time to drywall the garage (perhaps with "Type X (a gypsum board with special core additives to increase the natural fire resistance of regular gypsum board) are used where a fire-resistance rating is desired", while adding:
- fire alarm wired w/ house
- stainless steel sheet enclosed charging station with hood and 8" vent to roof
- 240V? :mrgreen:
- metal cabinet for flammables

(thanks to all your suggestions)

regarding the oxygen in the room: i framed it in 2004, wrapped it with tyvec, sheething and hardiplank. the doors and windows were pella, with strong seals/weather stripping. the garage door must have amazingly good weather stripping as well. there were no vents in the eves and the roof is cdx, tar paper & shingles. the only other source of oxygen was the attic vent (which i've been meaning to replace with a temp operated fan), but it had a 100' plastic tarp bundled up in front of it!
20130325_172749.jpg

back to the 'series/parallel crap' tho...

QUESTION:
IF one cell is 'dying' (maybe we need a better definition? went below 2.7V or above 4.3v, puffy but not punctured?) but is hovering to life at 3.3V and is paralleled with other low cells, which are then is charged up to 4.18v, can it's voltage ever vary from the voltage of the other cells? it can't right? for a 'dying cell' does the current leak, and draw current from the other cells, which then reactivate the charger?

i should have had the timeout of the bc168 configured!

but also, i did some calculations (wrongly) and decided that it was not really charging @8A per cell. i thought it was charging the entire pack at 8A... i'm not entirely sure what i was thinking at the time (when i'd had it set to 3A) but it was taking forever. had i really believed it was charging at 8A/cell, i would not have run it that high, not through all the jst-xh's and extensions... (axel, turn yours down to 5A max!) the db25 w/ 20awg wire tight could surely handle it.

and finally, fwiw, after soldering all the wires to the db25, i separated the rows like a bad center-part haircut, and ran two coats of the black electrical tape in between. then after that mostly dried, i closed the rows, and put two coats on the outside. i did not look pretty, but there is no way any short occurred there... if it was a short, it's far more likely it happened on one of the same jst-xh's that sustained high current in the parallel/series accident when i first started using the bc168 and was changing my config around so frequently.

and for lvc while riding and hvc while charging, i should have been using this - bm6 lipo buzzers, with no lousy jst-xh connections. 22g noodle wire soldered to the db25 AND the bm6 pins (as i said, i was waiting for replacements to come back in stock):
file.php

the top one here replaced the other two, the jst-xh connections of which i proved were unreliable:
file.php

Hyena said:
I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun.
huh? Miramar?

ps. did i mention that insurance is covering it?

knoxie, i'm trying to think what to do with that $200... if i can't think of anything good, you'll see it again soon. incredibly nice offer, but i simply can't accept it. i'm starting to feel guilty as it is...

GCinDC said:
Hyena said:
I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun.
huh? Miramar?

Top Gun flight training facility for Navy? or Airforce? when they filmed the movie Top Gun. Hyena is implying your new nick name is Maverick.

Clay

GCinDC said:
Hyena said:
huh? Miramar?

ps. did i mention that insurance is covering it?

knoxie, i'm trying to think what to do with that $200... if i can't think of anything good, you'll see it again soon. incredibly nice offer, but i simply can't accept it. i'm starting to feel guilty as it is...

Ha ha no problems buddy :lol: I felt sooooo bad when I saw those pictures though my natural instinct was to try and help, good to see the place being cleaned up as well though, as soon as you get your new regime started and you have all the safeguards in place I am pretty sure you wont ever have a problem again and will charge in confidence.

I am pretty confident with my setup, another thing that I always do before I hook the cells on to or off of the charger is do a quick check of each pack, it only takes seconds but is a good way of spotting rouge cells, I charge all 4 x packs on the BC168 at 8A so thats 2A per pack never in any rush to charge them any quicker, checking the packs before you use them ensures that you dont series them back up with maybe 1 cell in 1 of the packs down or low or not even charged because 1 of the balance wires has come off, its a quick basic check that will save you big time.

Glad you all liked the video and if it saves 1 persons setup or house then its worth it, a smoke alarm is the cheapest thing, fire blankets and extinguishers are super cheap as well, it makes no sense to not get them as general fire protection, its funny isnt it that your office and workplace are full of fire extinguishers and we all have training on how to use them but you are far more likely to be involved in a fire in your own home where most people dont even own a fire extinguisher, I have just changed that and have more than 1 extinguisher.

Good luck with the rest of the cleanup buddy

flyinmonkie said:
Top Gun flight training facility for Navy? or Airforce? when they filmed the movie Top Gun. Hyena is implying your new nick name is Maverick
Correct. Equally the previous guys comment reminded me of the lecture maverick gets from the boss topgun too. You're dangerous every time you go out there Greg :p

Good news about the insurance covering stuff so far. Do you happen to have a new for old replacement policy ? That could work out rather nicely for you! I see what you mean about the bench, I'd probably just fix it up too but if the insurance co is going to pay for a new one (maybe with metal cupboards underneath ;) ) then who are you argue :p

Looking at that scortched patch on your bench in particular I think it was more a case of sudden intense fire that extinguished itself rather than the lack of oxygen. I mean it *could* still have died from lack of O2 but having seen clips of how lipo burns it does seem to go out rather quickly once the electrolyte (or what ever is combusting) is used up. Looks like an intense blow torch like jet of flames directed at the bench and your helmet (ie directly above the battery) but it didn't burn long enough to set the whole place on fire. Thankfully!

ooOoH that looks to be an ideal box to store/charge lipo in!

20130325_193225.jpg

BONUS! If there was a fire the cans would likely rupture, the "liquids" in
said cans would then extinguish the fire Greg! :mrgreen:

Good to see there is progress on the clean up, will be all
fixed and better than it was before yaz nowz it buddy ;)

KiM

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Backed-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1364347049&sr=1-1&keywords=high+temperature+blanket

This is small but it says it resists 2000 degrees, which I don't think the LiPo's will exceed by much.

fizzit said:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Backed-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1364347049&sr=1-1&keywords=high+temperature+blanket

This is small but it says it resists 2000 degrees, which I don't think the LiPo's will exceed by much.
Love when shipping is 9 times the product price :lol:
Damn amazon is nothing short of amazing.

nicobie said:
No guarantees... but I just bought one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B9RNMC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's probably at the pricier end.
You don't need anything specifically first aid orientated, a simple cheap fire fibreglass blanket will do.
If you trust chinese fibreglass :lol: something like THIS otherwise local suppliers should be only a few bucks more. $15-20 for something that you can drape over your ebike's battery

Maybe get out your sewing machine Greg and make your next battery bags inner liner made from a FG blanket ? Or better still resin it up and make a hard outer case. No risk of metal punctures then either.

Good to hear things are going well so far with the clean up. Any news from the insurance co if they'll pay for the bike ? I don't think they make DH comps any more, it'd be a shame if they had to replace yours with the next best thing :mrgreen:

11120.jpg

the relative excess of CO2 from the combustion of the electrolyte in relation to the oxygen level as the source of heat that ignited the bench dropped off is why the fire did not continue. if you had a functional vent or one of these exhaust cabinets then the fire woulda continued because there would have been a place for the excess CO2 to go. just as when you shut down the air flow into a wood stove.

they did exhibit some true negligence in tossing that board with the nails on it in the box with the solvents. the acetone is now a controlled substance i think and woulda been a real problem if the nails had punctured that can. plus it is almost irreplaceable.

the work they do is reimbursed based on total value they clean up so they run up the bill just like lawyers and real estate agents. so they throw it all away. most of their clients never wanna touch dirty stuff anyway.

it is easier for them to clean if they just throw everything out so they can get access to clean it under the bench and the bench would be in the way.

your lawn mower should still work too.

i still think you should layout a space to lower a cabinet down around the bike when charging. you could use those bike hoist pulleys or get an electric winch to pick it up since it will weigh over 70 lbs if you used 1/2" sheet rock which is enuff.

stiffen the bottom edge with sheet rock corner metal screwed on from the inside of the box, then put a layer of foam on the edge so it seals to the floor, seal all the joints, and voila, air tight.

Back