GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

GCinDC said:
naw, just fooling around... but thanks.

if you're in SW, you may appreciate: Filme von Draussen. he rides like a girl (just kidding) but is one hell of a video editor. :lol:

edit: don't miss this one: BI|KE - A Symmetric Vehicle

Very very nice. I have got a lot to learn....
gonna find me a nice trail and some good viewpoints to start shooting.

Just foolin around eh Greg? Nice videos!
Tough guy sitting on the bench on last video seems to be pointing to you and saying to his friends...
"Hey that guy's taking video of us... let's jump him!" .... Lol :lol: :lol:

Sacman said:
"Hey that guy's taking video of us... let's jump him!" .... Lol :lol: :lol:
i think he was stoned and dug the rig. the others probably thought i was a UC, undercover cop...

some more hs3540 work:

upgraded phase wires, before drilling out wire slot...:
View attachment 4

IMG_4833.JPG
worm clamp just to seat wires as much as possible, not to stay...
View attachment 2
IMG_4839.JPG

is this enough room for sidecover bearing to sit on??
IMG_4844.JPG
if anyone knows, please tell me so i don't have to try and remove it again! :mrgreen:

Your ebike is a vehicle with too much BLING for that neighborhood.
Not ideal if you were indeed an undercover cop.

Nice thick wire upgrade.
Ooooh watch the metal hose clamp on that cloth braid.
Can cut easily like buttah! :shock: :wink:

Sacman said:
that's not just cloth. that's strong stuff!

pics i forgot to post before, more eye candy.

for better size comparison: the hs3540 rotor & wheel, and the 9x7 9C in a 19 x 1.85 excel rim with a 19x2.75 Shinko 244 Dual Sport Tire... i'm in love...
IMG_4821.JPG

GCinDC said:
Sacman said:
that's not just cloth. that's strong stuff!

pics i forgot to post before, more eye candy.

for better size comparison: the hs3540 rotor & wheel, and the 9x7 9C in a 19 x 1.85 excel rim with a 19x2.75 Shinko 244 Dual Sport Tire... i'm in love...
View attachment 1

me too...
where'd you get the rim+tyre? did you weigh them at all?

sn0wchyld said:
what sort of paint are you using there GC? is it anti rust or just high temp?
I use VHT engine enamel on my motors. Super high temperature and rust, corrosion and salt resistant (not that we have much salt around in Australia but I do ride at the beach occasionally)
Red windings visible through the air cooling holes are like big red brake calipers behind mag wheels on cars :lol:

Hyena said:
sn0wchyld said:
what sort of paint are you using there GC? is it anti rust or just high temp?
I use VHT engine enamel on my motors. Super high temperature and rust, corrosion and salt resistant (not that we have much salt around in Australia but I do ride at the beach occasionally)
Red windings visible through the air cooling holes are like big red brake calipers behind mag wheels on cars :lol:

Exactly what I thought, pretty trick looking :twisted:.

Doctorbass said:
JohnC said:
T-9 is a great idea. I use it on my saltwater boat motors under the cowling after freshwater flush. I spray it all over everything that could possible corrode including electrical equipment.

DoctorBass uses the red Rust-Oleum paint.

T-9 pic

John,
I dont know from where you got this info, but the paint i'm using for the motor is not the cheap canadian tire rust-o-leum paint !

Here is the paint i used.. it's a specialized industrial quality paint for this purpose!
file.php

Source: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24830&p=358602&hilit=5305+bearing#p358602

Doc

Sacman: :shock: Please don't use the term "Rust-oleum". Doctorbass may be listening.

With any of these it's important to recognize that if you use enough of it, you'll be affecting heat dissipation. Especially when using a thick paint that uses the term "insulating" :wink: In the rust belt the benefits outweigh the costs.

Are you going to install a thermal sensor Greg?

file.php

knoxie said:
you love your jumping dont ya! you can do that mostly without a motor though :D
yeah, i'm not sure what my problem is with wanting to jump over stuff. definitely not the best way to break in a wheel...
knoxie said:
:D still you are in that ebike R&D stage
very well put. i particularly like that phrasing because it sounds creative, and so much better than, say: "blowing reams of cash, obsessing over stuff, then joyfully destroying it and shirking responsibilities all the while..." :mrgreen:
are you still using your old gopro or did you get the new one? I just cany get super smooth slo mo on mine even at 60fps, what you using for the slo mo?
yep. old gopro and apple imovie... do you start w/ 60fps project?

full-throttle said:
GCinDC said:
my work shoes have no traction! :roll:
You should resole them with stealth rubber :)
$38 for the resole kit? that's more than my shoes cost! :lol: i kinda want to do it anyway. looks awesome.

sn0wchyld said:
where'd you get the rim+tyre? did you weigh them at all?
i'll weigh it soon. i bought it from dbaker. i'm going to take it apart soon (because it's too dished and brake will never fit and it's a 9x7) and relace into hs3540, and perhaps the new rim i'd bought before i bought dbakers complete wheel... back story here.
file.php

in other news, did i mention how great it is to have TWO EBIKES? it's hard to decide which to take in the morning! with the threat of rain, and possibly having to park in public, i've taken the GT yesterday and today. MAN that thing is FAST. better fit both with brakes soon... :lol:

grindz145 said:
Are you going to install a thermal sensor Greg?
yep, did that.
grindz145 said:
thick paint that uses the term "insulating" In the rust belt the benefits outweigh the costs.
yeah, i figure heat will be an ongoing issue, but i'll have the sensor for that, esp w/ mofo rear wheel. i gotta respect the thermal limit. you know, dbaker's wheel had a temp sensor in there, but seems to be frozen at 164deg - i must have cooked it just while testing the bike in the alley before hooking up temp sensor display... :x

so yeah, the hs3540 temp sensor is set to ring at 150c, and the flashpoint of the rustoleumis 156deg, and if i don't smell it burning first, it'll be interesting to find out if the windings/halls can withstand the 'flash'. that'd be cool to get on video.. :idea: flame coming out of motor.. :mrgreen:

Sacman: :shock: Please don't use the term "Rust-oleum". Doctorbass may be listening.

:mrgreen:

Doc

GCinDC said:
dbaker's wheel had a temp sensor in there, but seems to be frozen at 164deg - i must have cooked it just while testing the bike in the alley before hooking up temp sensor display...
user error, as usual.

the temp sensor is fine - it just flashes blue like it's going to explode and reads 164deg when the connector is plugged in the wrong way.. :mrgreen:

it was very interesting to watch the temperature this morning, on a very casual ride, but with a mother hog of a wheel - so ironic after discussing ebike efficiency with justin..

started cold at 16C - 60F and over 20 min (stop and start) commute, steadily, and linearly went up to 104C (219F), seemed to stabilize there and being cooled via holes while going fast but drawing only 10-20A, but then on doing stops and starts on incline, continued to rise steadily until the buzzer went off at 125C (257F). i unplugged at that point to avoid getting arrested (considering spare lipo and wires dangling in my jacket pocket and profusion of loose wires on handlebars).

after parking, i checked again. it rose to 135C (275C) before slowing going down. the motor emitted a familiar aroma, and instantly noticable through side cover holes..

initial conclusion:
- now i have vision where once i was blind. how great is that!? :D
- i can't imagine this motorcycle wheel ever being sustainable, except for very short rides :twisted: , at these power levels, but note that there was too much traffic to frequently get up to and stay at speed.

again, remember that this is still w/ 9x7...

i've finished upgrading and testing the hs3540 on the bench. the hs3540 only has ONE temp sensor wire coming out of motor AND the display doesn't require additional power source (after re-tapping halls near controller) ! :D this will only work w/ sensored controller... inside the motor, the sensor has three wires, and is spliceed to the positive and ground wires of the 4.5V halls, with only the sensor wire coming out.. it's also nice that the display only comes on when the bike is on... crappy pics and vid to come.

Skippic said:
Great news Greg, mayby you can bump it up to 150C. The halls and temp sensor should withstand that.
thanks for reminding me. i meant to credit you for the hall-tapping mod, and further impress people by saying that, for my own efforts, i was able to FRY the lyen ebike tester when testing the hall tap.... (since it provides a nice 4.5v, i tried to parallel the temp sensor display power leads with the sensor leads, but might have made a mistake... :oops:

the ebike tester light went out, when the connections were made, which should have been a signal, but it took repeated attempts before a loud zap and really modest smoke came out... :lol:

GC,
Did you see any darkening of the windings after the 135C event?

Skippic said:
Great news Greg, mayby you can bump it up to 150C. The halls and temp sensor should withstand that.
I had my hs3540 at more than 150 several times during the last summer, and everyday of 120+ at the windings.
but never wend above 170 so the windings color was the same as new. So do not worry about 150C - you should only avoid it getting above 170-180C and it will be just fine.

Back