GCinDC's Giant DH Comp

Allex said:
Careful with OVS tho, I believe that if you change the value to the greater, the efficiency goes down.
"efficiency", lol. not my biggest priority!

if the manual says i can use 0-7, 7 it will be! unloaded WOT: 97mph :twisted:

loaded, ~48-51mph.

more fun this am:
20140317_063547.jpg

GCinDC said:
loaded, ~48-51mph.

RIP GCinDC. You will be missed :lol:

GCinDC said:

Keep in mind man, you have kids lol.

Seems like a lot has changed since I last came here. Glad to see you have the H40 up and running and that you are loving the biggest deal since sliced bread for bikes.
Enjoy dude.

Just don't run OVS unloaded without a speed limit! Running too high of RPM's even unloaded can ruin your controller.

GCinDC said:
slightly OT, but thinking about something fun for the kids this summer...

this might be a bit big tho seems like a giveaway at $100. what do you guys think about replacing the ICE (and ghetto gas tank, lol) with a hub motor as a middrive type?
manco225-14-gokart.jpg

go for it it'll be fun

I'd stab someone prison style to get that for $100 :p
I've been looking around locally for something like that (old wrecked quadbike or similar) that I can strip down and rebuild. The frame is easy enough to DIY but once you fiddle around making steering linkages and buy a set of tyres you're already well over $100.

Hyena said:
I'd stab someone prison style to get that for $100 :p

You definitely have a very colorful descriptive use of words and I find it both amusing and scary that I totally relate to your quote. I may just have a new offline saying to throw around casually for my wants.....

Tom

pendragon8000 said:
GC a small ATV would be choice with a fast geared down hub motor. Many places to use it?
not many places to use it, esp if noisy gasser. if quiet, more options.
Or just make it slow?
i'm thinking of having a couple speeds. :p no word back from seller yet.

a friend in high school had a welder and we chopped off the front of a small track cart and welded up a new front end, including homemade pedals, steering etc, and put airplane tires on it. gotta find a pic of it, but one of the highlights of my adolescence - lost youth that i've rediscovered thru ebikes!

started to warm up last week, and we got our first taste of spring (but no timelapses of cherry blossoms yet, lol):
[youtube]T9Qo0v6_U3k[/youtube]

everything closed again monday w/ more snow. hopefully the last of it!
[youtube]1YQCD69ALCw[/youtube]

noticed these tracks when i parked somewhere monday and was struck by the comparison of the 26x1.75 studded tire and 19" MC tire:
20140317_151703.jpg

threw on the hookworm yesterday and lovin it, but they're talking about snow again next week. we'll see.

the more i look at images like this (from here) tho, the more i wonder about putting a fatter (MC?) wheel up front:
slider5.jpg

the hookworm works pretty damn well up front (feels light to turn and lifts pretty easily), but the fat tire just looks amazing, tho i wonder what a good MC wheel/tire would be to replace it. any suggestions? wouldn't want to go smaller than 19" and not too many street tread choices in that size last time i looked..

Allex said:
Careful with OVS tho, I believe that if you change the value to the greater, the efficiency goes down.
w/ OVS at 2, i'd use about 5Ah getting home, but did notice yesterday using 7Ah (w/ OVS at 7):
20140320_164749.jpg

62Wh/mi (says wh/k but i wonder if that's true, since once you change between Mi and K, all other units change accordingly, including C to F. :wink: ) if it is truly 62wh/k, then would it be 62x1.6 = 99.2wh/mi?

and total stats:
20140320_164824.jpg

And those slobbering over the adapttos might be interested in this new thread: The most advanced Adaptto Mini-E Controller + BMS

finally, i caught a car accident w/ the gopro (front facing) today, and stopped where the two drivers were arguing and mentioned i recorded it on my camera. funny how the woman who was trying to take a left turn from the right lane suddenly shut up. :lol:

Looking forward to that upload :lol:

Good to see you are still riding through the snow GC, here in Green Bay its been way too cold for the 12 miles to work, but started riding again last week and loving it!

GCinDC said:
finally, i caught a car accident w/ the gopro (front facing) today, and stopped where the two drivers were arguing and mentioned i recorded it on my camera. funny how the woman who was trying to take a left turn from the right lane suddenly shut up. :lol:

So was the other driver excited that you were taping? :D

xenodius said:
Did that guy flip you off?
hell no! he was psyched. i think he was just 'handsy'. very expressive with the hands, lol.

dropped the bike on the edge of the sidewalk with a bunch of school children watching. very embarrassing. and annoying. ruined the gopro housing. so no vids this week. new one arrives tonight.

back to efficiency, that 7Ah return commute was a very aggressive ride. normal inbound commute shows less consumption:
20140326_073342.jpg

interesting to watch the pack IR slowly increase, there at 52mohms.

i'm loving my timer! i strap on the battery warmer, attach the charger, and every morning at 5AM it wakes up, charges, and warms my pack, so when i leave at 7, she fully charged (balanced) and raring to go. (borrowed image here. right now my pack doesn't fill the triangle, so wrapping it like this is easy.)
batterywarmer.JPG

spring should be here anyday tho, and then i can leave the warmer off...

in other news i was admiring a madass seat the other day (hating my own lately), particularly the two-seater aspect, and have been thinking about a seat mod, perhaps something like this but probably all custom and welded to a seat post too for increased stability:
madass+seat+subframe.jpg

wondering if a motox seat would be better..? anyone seen mods like this. farfle's got one i know..

or just go banana seat? :p
download.jpg

i am thinking of how to install battery warmers on the SLA pack in my little ZENN car to increase capacity during charging and then discharging.

it is no fun looking at the weather in perth. why do they need to remind us winter never leaves.

pendragon8000 said:
I have a good idea if your going to mod your bike... Replace that rope holding the wires on the swing arm with something less ghetto, like cable ties :p
lol. yeah, that was an old pic i was working with, from those few days that the front part of the fender was on!

i since got the reusable but brittle cable ties. but she's still plenty ghetto.

been hunting for photos of my first go kart, and found these that i thought you'd enjoy, haha:

1980 - me (at 13) with dad, dog and my beloved bmx bike before an overnight 'bike hike' along canal in WV. too funny!:
s_r10afk862230412.jpg

and here's one of my bro in the front yard:
Screen+Shot+2014-03-27+at+6.20.09+PM.png

my dad had two working VW bugs ('64 and '68) and two for parts (that we broke up that day). learned a lot about cars (and rusted bolts) fixing them all the time.

Took a look at the 10 day forecast. Lows are all above freezing. Maybe put battery warmer on the shelf for next year?

"two working, two for parts", been there, done that. still do that.

consider what scrap metal was worth then, and if the body was still intact today for someone to reuse to restore another beetle. but dead cars in the yard and remodeling the house are how marriages end.

can you imagine if your old BMX had your current motor back then? the wayback machine is a fun tool.

Back