GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

BB spindles or axles are cheap and not hard to find, though if its really long, it will be more difficult. Check sickbikeparts.com, they have a really long BB.

yeah but changing just the axle is probably not possible. I have a spare 135mm BB I could try but I will need to get it shipped. Oh and it seems like I have a dead hall sensor too :evil:

Hi guys ,
Just thought I'd let you know , dad (Roger). Had a few drama's with the belt drive , so has now changed it for a chain drive. Much better , more power , a little more noise . And most of all reliable .
Dad is riding it every day , it has totally given him a new out look on life. Riding all over the fire trails where we used to run training for my boxing for 15 years , going out of town to mates places , getting the bread..ha ha.
Best $400 ever spent.

Tim

null-10.jpg
null-9.jpg
null-8.jpg

Here is what he does most days....cool. For a 66year old.. :D :D

null-12.jpg
null-11.jpg

bzhwindtalker said:
I bent the bottom bracket axle today doing some really big jumps. The GNG is SO great but kinda hard to maintain doing what I do :/ The performance is insane really considering its only 1200w max, I have been making so much progress on tail whips! now, I need to find a way to get a new BB :/

Cyclone do a free-wheel crank wit an Octalink BB. It may well fit. I have one, so I'll try and line it up with my GNG tomorrow to see how it looks.
http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-chainwheel.htm

Edit: No good as far as I can see. The GNG chain is 30mm from the BB flange and the Cyclone one is 22mm.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=28921&start=360#p425768

...My previous bike with #35 chain sounded like an annoying vacuum cleaner mixed with an electric chainsaw...The pink agni bike was just dead silent...

What chain type did Luke use on the Pinkbike? He had mentioned before that it was a small motorcycle roller chain and was surprisingly quiet, but I forgot the size...

Also, whats the tooth-counts on the new sprockets, looks like it has more reduction than the original pulleys.

Concerning the posts on the previous page, I'll just leave this here (disgruntled employee?)
http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/frock-these-packages.gif

full-throttle said:
How did you remove the original pulley?

Hi.

The main motor pulley is part of the motor shaft. So he basically took off the washer in the end of it , then ground it down a little , machined up a sleeve that went over the top of it , and put a sheer pin through it...( you can just see it in pic 2) fits very well. Then threaded the end of it , to hold the new chain cog on.
One note is , between the end of the thread and the hollow in the inside ot the sleeve , he left about 4mm , it take the load , and the side walls of the sleeve are 3mm thick.

Hope that's clear as mud.. :D

Tim

Timbuck, you may want to change the chainline so it wraps around the sprocket more. Maybe putting the idler on the other side of the chain would do it.

Thank you for the input regarding cadence guy's.
totaly confirms my experiance.
spinningmagnets said:

...My previous bike with #35 chain sounded like an annoying vacuum cleaner mixed with an electric chainsaw...The pink agni bike was just dead silent...

What chain type did Luke use on the Pinkbike? He had mentioned before that it was a small motorcycle roller chain and was surprisingly quiet, but I forgot the size...

Also, whats the tooth-counts on the new sprockets, looks like it has more reduction than the original pulleys.

Luke was speaking of his twin turnigy motored specilized bicycle. I forget the actual tooth counts, but the differance in noise is directly atributable to the low rpm Agni (4k rpm's) compaired to the Rc motor(9k+ rpm's)The Agni bike (& i think the current death bike) used #428 motorcycl chain.
I can vouch for the "Dead silent" of the current death bike....it is eirie having so much power & the only sound you hear is tires whistling on the ashphault.

Thud said:
Thank you for the input regarding cadence guy's.
totaly confirms my experiance.
spinningmagnets said:

Luke was speaking of his twin turnigy motored specilized bicycle. I forget the actual tooth counts, but the differance in noise is directly atributable to the low rpm Agni (4k rpm's) compaired to the Rc motor(9k+ rpm's)The Agni bike (& i think the current death bike) used #428 motorcycl chain.
I can vouch for the "Dead silent" of the current death bike....it is eirie having so much power & the only sound you hear is tires whistling on the ashphault.

isnt it also a product of the size of the drive cog? ie bigger = quieter? I remember seeing a formula (though cant remember it) that linked noise to the rate of change in angle of each link... so either a small drive sprocket or high rpms had an exponential effect on the noise generated... from memory a 14t was the tipping point where things really started getting notably noisier the smaller you went...

Just an update, ordered Tuesday and received my package yesterday!
I didn't have a chance to open and inspect and there was some damage to the box but it didn't appear to effect the contents, the shipping issue is a factor of weight an the rated strength of the post boxes they are using, this is easily remedied.

I'll post an update Monday when I have a chance to unbox and inspect all the parts... I am just quite impressed with the turn around and delivery time at this point!

-Mike

Just bought mine using the ebay link.

Has anyone been able to get a temp probe in theirs yet?
I may go with a lyen sensorless on this one. With high rpms sensorless shouldn't be an issue plus it would be nice to have a three way speed toggle switch to tone the little beast down for accelerating from a stand still. Maybe I could use 3 way toggle to make a 24s build possible. Do you think the gears would stand being spun that fast?

Bike gearing will suffer a lot above 1200w, I broke so many chains with my hub motor mid drives!

I emailed Jon at GNG and ordered a new BB from him. Super fast service as always, a pleasure to deal with.

Replacing with another non hardened BB seems like a fail to me. I wonder if the cyclone BB are better, mine has held up. Can you take a file to you BB to verify?

bzhwindtalker said:
Bike gearing will suffer a lot above 1200w, I broke so many chains with my hub motor mid drives!

I emailed Jon at GNG and ordered a new BB from him. Super fast service as always, a pleasure to deal with.

Maybe try and get the new bb cryo treated or hardened at an engineering firm. Unless it's made of plastic cheese. Just a thought.

andynogo said:
Maybe try and get the new bb cryo treated or hardened at an engineering firm. Unless it's made of plastic cheese. Just a thought.

Great idea! Ill see what I can arrange at school or at work on that subject.

christerljung said:
Nice vid bzh! Thanks! Would love to have that t-shirtweather here. It´s almost freeze-temp and too much raining.
Nothing wrong with the music but it would be nice to hear some electric engine sound too. It gives a picture of gearing and handling.
Did you fix the bent BB?

I did not fix the BB yet so i'm not pedaling a lot, that's why i'm practicing trials while waiting for a solution. I would like to have the sound from the motor but my camera is quite bad at recording it :?

Some thoughts about a modification of the first reduction:
Testing from many GNG-kit owners confirms that the first stage reduction beltmechanism is too weak. At least when overvolting.
(My second idler mod gives the belt a much longer life , but it still seems that the 15mm belt cant handle 3,5 Kw)

Options with different benefits:

chain conversion (like Timbuck)
pros: Reliable and well proven. High efficiency
cons: noisy? dangerous?

Belt upgrade to 25mm width
pros: quiet
cons: Hard to find parts that fit? HTD or synchroflex? Will belt still fail? After how many miles? Drains power with idlers.

gear drive
pros: strong and reliable? possible use of second hand motorgears
cons: Noisy. Expensive? Hard to find fitting gears?

I´m gonna do one of these for my 72v setup.
But which one is the best?

Have a read through this. There's a formula for calculating power ratings. You can buy the pulleys quite cheaply, but you have to machine yhe pilot hole to suit your shaft
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drive/Timing_belts.html

Can this kit with the stock controller be ran on 36V for a proper pedaling cadence?

Any idea what the efficiency is like?

neptronix said:
Can this kit with the stock controller be ran on 36V for a proper pedaling cadence?

Any idea what the efficiency is like?

Apparently not, but someone (who?) is running it with a 36v controller. I'd like to hear more of that too.

Also, what is it like, pedalling power-off? Is there a second freewheel in the crank or one in the layshaft?

Back