GNG, 1000W 48V BB-drive, $400

skyungjae said:
For those of y'all running a pair of 6S liPos for 44v. What are you setting your LVC's at? Is the 36v LVC on the controller adequate?

I'm considering picking up a pair of the Turnigy 8Ah 6S batteries.
36v on a 12s pack :shock:
You really shouldn't go below 3.7v a cell if you want a decent cycle life.
The CA works great as a lvc device. :wink:

rp3 said:
skyungjae said:
For those of y'all running a pair of 6S liPos for 44v. What are you setting your LVC's at? Is the 36v LVC on the controller adequate?

Actually using Lipo to 80% DOD and limiting charge to 95% maximum charge state will increase your packs cycle life, I can't say how much because my packs are all still running full capacity even at 400+ cycles like this.

The 80% cell voltage is 3.36 V per cell and discharge should stop when the first cell crosses this voltage, for a 12S pack that works out to an LVC of 40.32 v.

Hope this helps :)

Mike

mwkeefer said:
rp3 said:
skyungjae said:

Actually using Lipo to 80% DOD and limiting charge to 95% maximum charge state will increase your packs cycle life, I can't say how much because my packs are all still running full capacity even at 400+ cycles like this.

The 80% cell voltage is 3.36 V per cell and discharge should stop when the first cell crosses this voltage, for a 12S pack that works out to an LVC of 40.32 v.

Hope this helps :)

Mike

Awesome... anyone want to buy 5x Zippy LiFePO4's 8400mAh for $250? only 15 cycles. :lol:

mwkeefer said:
Actually using Lipo to 80% DOD and limiting charge to 95% maximum charge state will increase your packs cycle life,..........
The 80% cell voltage is 3.36 V per cell and discharge should stop when the first cell crosses this voltage, for a 12S pack that works out to an LVC of 40.32 v
Sorry, but that's the worst advice I've ever heard for looking after LiPO! :shock:
Limiting your discharges to 60-70% DOD will give you much better cycle life than going to 80%. You will NEVER get more cycle life by taking more out of the pack.
You also need to beware that the old 80% rule is for capacity, NOT voltage. 3.7v per cell at rest has always been the aim for good life.

skyungjae said:
It's interesting... just when I think I'm done tinkering with the kit, there's more I want to do with it. As soon as there is a reversible chain drive option (probably never going to happen), I'm probably going to start tinkering with higher voltages as well. Not looking forward to having to re-wire everything with heavier gauge wire though. I should have thought ahead instead of thinking, "12ga will be fine for 20A." :|

Hello!

If you go to higher voltage, no need to up your wire size. The Higher the Voltage, the more pressure or faster the
electrons flow, which generates less heat.

12volt systems to start cars are low voltage (Less Pressure) and higher amperage (Heat), so you need larger wire to
do Work (watts) at lower voltages.

120v at 20amp on #12 gauge is good for 65 feet (2400 watts max)
24v at 20amps on #12 gauge is good for 13 feet (480 watts max)
12v at 20amps on #12 gauge is good for 6.6 feet (240 watts max)

Volting up means your #12gauge wire should be good! :)

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif

rp3 said:
mwkeefer said:
Actually using Lipo to 80% DOD and limiting charge to 95% maximum charge state will increase your packs cycle life,..........
The 80% cell voltage is 3.36 V per cell and discharge should stop when the first cell crosses this voltage, for a 12S pack that works out to an LVC of 40.32 v
Sorry, but that's the worst advice I've ever heard for looking after LiPO! :shock:
Limiting your discharges to 60-70% DOD will give you much better cycle life than going to 80%. You will NEVER get more cycle life by taking more out of the pack.
You also need to beware that the old 80% rule is for capacity, NOT voltage. 3.7v per cell at rest has always been the aim for good life.

I was PMing Dogman about this question as well. If I decide to go the LiPo route, I'll probably keep my CA's LVC where it's at now at 44v. He made it very clear that the CA doesn't monitor the individual cells and only the pack total. I may have to raise the CA's LVC if I notice the voltage sag drops below 40v. Anyhow, I'm more than likely going to keep running my current set up. I don't think those 2 x (Turnigy 6s 8000mAh) will fit inside my frame triangle. I'll have to build cardboard mock ups sometime and figure out if I can find an off the shelf frame bag or make something. Aside from that, I'd have to sell my LiFe set up before receiving wife authorization to drop $200+ on batteries.

Tommy L said:
skyungjae said:
It's interesting... just when I think I'm done tinkering with the kit, there's more I want to do with it. As soon as there is a reversible chain drive option (probably never going to happen), I'm probably going to start tinkering with higher voltages as well. Not looking forward to having to re-wire everything with heavier gauge wire though. I should have thought ahead instead of thinking, "12ga will be fine for 20A." :|

Hello!

If you go to higher voltage, no need to up your wire size. The Higher the Voltage, the more pressure or faster the
electrons flow, which generates less heat.

12volt systems to start cars are low voltage (Less Pressure) and higher amperage (Heat), so you need larger wire to
do Work (watts) at lower voltages.

120v at 20amp on #12 gauge is good for 65 feet (2400 watts max)
24v at 20amps on #12 gauge is good for 13 feet (480 watts max)
12v at 20amps on #12 gauge is good for 6.6 feet (240 watts max)

Volting up means your #12gauge wire should be good! :)

Tommy L sends......
mosh.gif

Thanks Tommy. Until Lightningrods brings out a more durable belt system or a bolt on solution for the chain drive system, I'll be keeping my set up at 20A regardless if I do decide to go LiPo or stick with my LiFe set up. If I do up the amps, I'll probably double up my wiring instead of replacing it. I have so much 12 gauge wire left.

spinningmagnets said:
The $40 quoted is for parts only, the trick...is in filing the shaft stub down to 10mm with care so that it is fairly cylindrical. Botch that job, and you'll need a new motor shaft.

12T, #25, 10mm bore, $6 plus tax and shipping
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63_90&product_id=143

68T/72T/80T/90T...$18-$30...#25, bolt to the side of the stock GNG pulley
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/sprockets25chain.html

#25 half-link + master link
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/roller_chain.html

PM LightningRods for the adjustable primary sheet (adjustable motor sheets available too)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46891#p704262
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=30024

11mm bore FW adapter
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46891#p695839

13T ACS-Crossfire FW, $21 (also, requires a $20 removal socket to get on and off)
http://www.amazon.com/ACS-13T-Crossfire-Metal--Metric/dp/B004HNRF86/

Vuelta 60T chainring, $40
http://www.vueltausa.com/components/chainrings/se-chain-ring-130mm-38-60t-1.html

Be aware some frames do not allow a larger chainring, I now believe this is why the original kit has a 44T. It does not explain why they don't use an interface that allows a cheap and easy installation of a larger chainring (snellemin bought the bikemotive spider so he could use off-the-shelf chainrings). The red arrow points to where the chainring might not fit your frame if you don't measure first...

This is a great list of high quality parts to improve the cadence of a motor running at higher volts.

For the BMX freewheel remover, I got mine here for <$10 shipped: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cyclepro-BMX-Freewheel-Remover-/370614930418

That 90t sprocket for the primary side looks like it threads right on and removes the need for a freewheel like I used with my 80t sprocket. Would love to see that mounted on a bike if anyone picks one up.

Any reason to use the 12t #25 vs. the 11t #25? I ordered both and have been running the 11t, it sheared the mounting rod after a few rides so I welded it on but it seems fine now.

I think this is the spider adapter that snellemin uses: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-130-spider-for-BMX-or-eBike-or-Scooter-freewheel-crankset-BikeMotive-/321024602823

I picked up a 130 BCD 52t chainring for $10 but I might start looking for a cheap 60t to further improve reduction.

I just want to add that I would suggest the 52T at a minimum to have a very dramatic improvement in the cadence, and the 60T is probably the maximum that would fit, and also 60T is at the top of the affordable chainrings. I have found other chainring with a higher tooth-count that 60T, but there was a very noticeable jump in the prices.

Here are the chainring diameters in inches and millimeters so you can make a cardboard proxy chainring to see which is the largest size that would fit your frame before spending money. 130-BCD chainrings are readily buyable from 38T-60T

____inches__mm
40T = 6.4___163
42T = 6.7___170
44T = 7.0___178
46T = 7.4___188
48T = 7.7___196
50T = 8.0___204
52T = 8.3___211
54T = 8.6___219
56T = 8.9___226
58T = 9.3___237
60T = 9.6___244

Be aware when deciding between the #25 chain and a belt upograde (both are good choices); Christerljung has indicated that when he added a cover over the kit, the #25 chian was much quieter, compared to the #25 chain with no cover. Also, a cover is most recommended for protecting your pants from getting shredded and one child stickinbg their fingers in it while parked while another kid fiddles with the throttle.

I don't think the #25 chain is loud enough, I might have to put a bell on my bike because I can ride right behind someone and they won't notice me and make space :)

There's a $15 decibel tester on ebay if anyone with both kits wants to compare sound.

hi

i have seen most of yout cahin mods are made with big chainwheels
I would like to ask you in advance my chain modification is made just out of spare parts i had at home, i have not ru it now because teh controller is still in repair
the setup is from motor to crank 12t --> 32t --> 12t --> 42t --> 10 rear gears

do you think thats ok, if not why

thanks

gernot

Out in the bush and the "jungle" with the GNG today. Going great with a fresh belt with the LightningRods sheets, showing no sign of wear. The dicta replacement freewheel seems to be holding together ATM, although it's been getting lubed after every ride.
I have a primary chain conversion sitting here waiting for the belt to die or me to find the time to install it. Also have a ISIS cyclone chainring set waiting for when the dicta gives up. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_20130427_110709_small.jpg
    IMG_20130427_110709_small.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 2,992
  • IMG_20130427_113648_small.jpg
    IMG_20130427_113648_small.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 2,992
  • IMG_20130324_160203_small.jpg
    IMG_20130324_160203_small.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 2,992
Yeah, I have it on the default upramp settings which is a lot softer than the controller. But I've learnt to be gentle with the the throttle using this kit. ;)

my gng kit for sale,in uk.complete with all parts for a chain conversion 64t and 78t sprocket.9t and 12t motor sprocket.2 spare motor shafts.new half link chain for secondary drive.i have the original kit for sale on ebay £170.if a es member wants it they can have all the other bits too.pm me if intersted.
its snaped my bike chain,miles from home for the last time!.
richard

Attachments

• IMGP4171.JPG
    IMGP4171.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,900
richard purchon said:
my gng kit for sale,in uk.complete with all parts for a chain conversion 64t and 78t sprocket.9t and 12t motor sprocket.2 spare motor shafts.new half link chain for secondary drive.i have the original kit for sale on ebay £170.if a es member wants it they can have all the other bits too.pm me if intersted.
richard
I think you would have more views and leads on the Used Items for Sale.

richard purchon said:
richard
all parts sold ..

Update on my resin cast sleeve pulleys 107T/18T 20mm belt on the GNG. I have been testing the setup now for over a week and the system seems to be holding up ok with no signs of wear to either the belt or pulleys. I still haven’t decided whether to stick with the belt and pulley of go for the chain and sprocket. Until I decide I haven’t made a cover for the belt and jackshaft, if I go with the chain option the cover will finish up being a different shape and size. It certainly needs a cover to stop mud and gravel contaminating the belt and jackshaft bearings.

I am using a 12s A123 battery and a 9 fet 36-72V controller, I find that at this voltage around 39V and around 800-900W there is plenty of torque to climb steep tracks. In the short video the last section up the track is around 26-30% gradient.

[youtube]2s-G3IE9NiE[/youtube]

With the Nuvinci N360 hub I get a good range from a standing start, on a steep part of the track very low speed with lots of torque and up to 26 mph on the easer flatter stretches of track. The pedal cadence is fairly well matched with the motor; downhill the motor still gives power beyond my pedal speed to over 30 mph.

Hello group!

My GNG build is still getting cooked but I is closer to be done.
I will be using a 9 FET Lyen which will allow me to use 36V or higher volt setup and I will play with different Amps too.

I am wondering if anyone tried oil cooling on his GNG setup? I think it could be a good thing as used in some hub motor rides from ES.

Keep on!

Hi Everyone-

I finally received the motor spindles that I ordered to machine down for 12mm output shafts. These are much longer than the GNG version but internally identical. I will be able to make 12mm output shaft much longer than needed (up to 2.4").

spindle_scan.jpg

A couple of other options occurred to me. There is a version of this motor that has a fan on the right side opposite the drive and a longer spindle that exits the case on the right. This makes it possible to have an output shaft on either side, or for some bizarre reason, both sides.

I will be offering these spindles machined down to 12mm output shafts at the choice of length of the customer. Square keyways and threaded ends available at request.

The reason for the initial experiments turning the shafts down to 10mm were because there were pre-existing #25 sprockets with a 10mm bore. The shafts of the 80-100 and 80-85 Turnigy RC motors are 12mm, so any pulleys and sprockets bored to 12mm will be a drop-in for this new GNG shaft from LightningRods, and also for a variety of large RC motors among others.

Miles' 90mm motor project will be using a 12mm shaft.

edit. The 80-100 / 80-85 are slow sellers, so many RC suppliers don't carry it anymore due to low demand, so they can focus their shelf-space on higher volume parts. Green Machine made a bulk purchase of 80-100's and has them for sale (I don't know the price)

spinningmagnets said:
The reason for the initial experiments turning the shafts down to 10mm were because there were pre-existing #25 sprockets with a 10mm bore. The shafts of the 80-100 ans 80-85 Turnigy RC motors are 12mm, so any pulleys and sprockets bored to 12mm will be a drop-in for this new GNG shaft from LightningRods, and also for a variety of large RC motors among others.

You're right about the 12mm standard. I'll be making everything to conform to that shaft/bore size.

Back