HELP NEEDED PLEASE. :)

TWadeJ

1 mW
Greetings Endless-sphere.com members!!! I hope you can help me.

I am new to the forum but have been reading and learning as a visitor for about 3 months.

I initially made a "newbie" mistake and purchased a ProdecoTech Phantom V6 400M (https://www.prodecotech.com/electric-bikes/phantom-400-m/). I like the looks of the bike, the fact that it has 700c wheels and that it was only $1,300 shipped to my house. I also purchased a BeamTS torque sensor so it would be both a pedelec with a throttle. The BeamTS is a very cool device for throttle only bikes as it turns them into a pedelec with a throttle. However, the Phantom 400M only has a 400 watt rear motor, a 16 amp controller and a 36V 10.4AH battery. After putting it through its paces, I determined that it was not powerful enough and didn't have enough range. If I had to do it over, I would have purchased a Luna Grit 220 from Luna Cycle. In fact, I will purchase one in the near future now that I know the benefits of the BBSHD mid mounted motor and the reputation of Luna Cycle! I can't wait to get it!

Since I had the Phantom (rear 36V hub motor) and couldn't return it, I decided to modify it to better suit my desires. For the rear, I purchased a 9C+ 48V motor from eBikes.ca, a 40 amp controller from em3ev and a 48V 11.6AH rack battery with Panasonic NCR18650PF cells from BMSBattery (https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/779-48v116ah-case-02-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html). For the front, I purchased a Bafang geared hub (http://www.ebay.com/itm/232088804915?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT), a 25 amp controller from em3ev and 2 36V 10.4AH batteries with Samsung 18650-29E cells. One Samsung battery came with the ProdecoTech bike and I purchased the second since the Samsung 18650-29E cells won't sufficiently power the 25 amp controller. I will run the Samsung batteries in parallel so they will properly power the 25 amp controller. Yes, my first bike will be 2 wheel drive! Getting over my head perhaps??? :)

The Prodecotech version of the BeamTS has a pass though connector, which will allow me to plug it into my throttle for my more powerful rear motor which has a right side half twist throttle. The rear motor will be my main method of propulsion. I will connect the front motor to a thumb throttle to the immediate left of my twist throttle. I will use the front motor only for faster take offs and for climbing hills. Also as a backup if my rear battery runs out of juice.

A significant issue of concern that I need the collective experience of this great forum (in addition to my entire build of course since I am new at this). I have a RockShox 50mm travel disk fork for a 700c bike - to smooth out my ride. It is a RockShox Paragon Gold RL Fork: 700C, 50mm, 9mm QR, Crown Adjustment, 1-1/8" Alum Steerer, Rim Brake, A1, Gloss Black. I know that putting a front motor on a bike with a front suspension fork is generally frowned upon and risky. To minimize the risk, I purchased 2 Grin Version 3 front torque arms from ebikes.ca. Thoughts?

Any comments or suggestions about my build plan are welcomed! Had I read and learned more first I would of purchased the Luna Cycle Grit 220. Since I didn't, I am trying to make the best bike with what I have.

NOW THE PROBLEM... I received the BMSBattery, charged it for 6 hours and it does not work. The on/off button doesn't work, the power level lights do not work and the battery has no power. I communicated with Olivia at BMSBattery about the issue and even sent her videos showing the issue. She is now ignoring me and won't respond to my request for a replacement battery. As a gesture of good faith on my part, to limit BMSBattery's shipping costs (since there is no problem with the rear rack), I suggested that BMSBattery send me a replacement battery (that they confirm works) with a return label for the defective battery. That way they don't have to pay the cost for shipping the rack. I even offered to send a $100 PayPal payment as security for me returning the defective battery. Suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Based on BMSBattery's response I opened a PayPal claim but I would much rather resolve it outside of PayPal and dismiss the claim.

Thank you all for assisting with my Frankenstein build and my issue with BMSBattery. I will alert BMSBattery of this threat so in fairness they can weigh in.

Wade

I am new to the forum but have been reading and learning as a visitor for about 3 months.

I initially made a "newbie" mistake and purchased a ProdecoTech Phantom V6 400M (https://www.prodecotech.com/electric-bi ... tom-400-m/). I like the looks of the bike, the fact that it has 700c wheels and that it was only $1,300 shipped to my house. I also purchased a BeamTS torque sensor so it would be both a pedelec with a throttle. The BeamTS is a very cool device for throttle only bikes as it turns them into a pedelec with a throttle. However, the Phantom 400M only has a 400 watt rear motor, a 16 amp controller and a 36V 10.4AH battery. After putting it through its paces, I determined that it was not powerful enough and didn't have enough range. If I had to do it over, I would have purchased a Luna Grit 220 from Luna Cycle. In fact, I will purchase one in the near future now that I know the benefits of the BBSHD mid mounted motor and the reputation of Luna Cycle! I can't wait to get it!

Since I had the Phantom (rear 36V hub motor) and couldn't return it, I decided to modify it to better suit my desires. For the rear, I purchased a 9C+ 48V motor from eBikes.ca, a 40 amp controller from em3ev and a 48V 11.6AH rack battery with Panasonic NCR18650PF cells from BMSBattery (https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/77 ... ttery.html). For the front, I purchased a Bafang geared hub (http://www.ebay.com/itm/232088804915?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT), a 25 amp controller from em3ev and 2 36V 10.4AH batteries with Samsung 18650-29E cells. One Samsung battery came with the ProdecoTech bike and I purchased the second since the Samsung 18650-29E cells won't sufficiently power the 25 amp controller. I will run the Samsung batteries in parallel so they will properly power the 25 amp controller. Yes, my first bike will be 2 wheel drive! Getting over my head perhaps??? :)

The Prodecotech version of the BeamTS has a pass though connector, which will allow me to plug it into my throttle for my more powerful rear motor which has a right side half twist throttle. The rear motor will be my main method of propulsion. I will connect the front motor to a thumb throttle to the immediate left of my twist throttle. I will use the front motor only for faster take offs and for climbing hills. Also as a backup if my rear battery runs out of juice.

A significant issue of concern that I need the collective experience of this great forum (in addition to my entire build of course since I am new at this). I have a RockShox 50mm travel disk fork for a 700c bike - to smooth out my ride. It is a RockShox Paragon Gold RL Fork: 700C, 50mm, 9mm QR, Crown Adjustment, 1-1/8" Alum Steerer, Rim Brake, A1, Gloss Black. I know that putting a front motor on a bike with a front suspension fork is generally frowned upon and risky. To minimize the risk, I purchased 2 Grin Version 3 front torque arms from ebikes.ca. Thoughts?

Any comments or suggestions about my build plan are welcomed! Had I read and learned more first I would of purchased the Luna Cycle Grit 220. Since I didn't, I am trying to make the best bike with what I have.

NOW THE PROBLEM... I received the BMSBattery, charged it for 6 hours and it does not work. The on/off button doesn't work, the power level lights do not work and the battery has no power. I communicated with Olivia at BMSBattery about the issue and even sent her videos showing the issue. She is now ignoring me and won't respond to my request for a replacement battery. As a gesture of good faith on my part, to limit BMSBattery's shipping costs (since there is no problem with the rear rack), I suggested that BMSBattery send me a replacement battery (that they confirm works) with a return label for the defective battery. That way they don't have to pay the cost for shipping the rack. I even offered to send a $100 PayPal payment as security for me returning the defective battery. Suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Based on BMSBattery's response I opened a PayPal claim but I would much rather resolve it outside of PayPal and dismiss the claim.

Thank you all for assisting with my Frankenstein build and my issue with BMSBattery. I will alert BMSBattery of this threat so in fairness they can weigh in.

Wade

TWadeJ said:

Wade
This may seem obvious but did you check the fuse on the battery?

Yes sir. :) First thing I did. I am fairly knowledgeable about electronic and mechanical items. Thank you for your response.

Odd thing is that BMSBattery did not suggest to check the fuse or any suggestion. It seems that they just don't give a f@&k! They admitted that the battery level lights don't work so I am confident PayPal will rule in my favor. Plus I have paid at least $20,000 through PayPal over the last 2 years (working on a Porsche and everything Porsche has the insane "Porsche tax") so I trust I am a preferred PayPal customer. I just don't get it - I even sent videos showing the defect. Next time I will be smart and buy from Luna Cycle. The only reason I didn't is their rack battery is silver and my bike is matte black. Should of just bought a can of matte black paint. :). Since I need the battery in a week I will likely just buy from Luna Cycle, paint it and let PayPal refund my money. Bad business practice by BMSBattery when I provided them a reasonable solution. BMSBattery hasn't even proposed a solution despite admitting I have a defective battery via email.

Any thoughts on my build? Lacing the wheels tomorrow. Wish me luck - never done it before.

Thanks.

I initially made a "newbie" mistake and purchased a ProdecoTech Phantom V6 400M (https://www.prodecotech.com/electric-bi ... tom-400-m/). I like the looks of the bike, the fact that it has 700c wheels and that it was only $1,300 shipped to my house. I also purchased a BeamTS torque sensor so it would be both a pedelec with a throttle. The BeamTS is a very cool device for throttle only bikes as it turns them into a pedelec with a throttle. However, the Phantom 400M only has a 400 watt rear motor, a 16 amp controller and a 36V 10.4AH battery. After putting it through its paces, I determined that it was not powerful enough and didn't have enough range. If I had to do it over, I would have purchased a Luna Grit 220 from Luna Cycle. In fact, I will purchase one in the near future now that I know the benefits of the BBSHD mid mounted motor and the reputation of Luna Cycle! I can't wait to get it!

Since I had the Phantom (rear 36V hub motor) and couldn't return it, I decided to modify it to better suit my desires. For the rear, I purchased a 9C+ 48V motor from eBikes.ca, a 40 amp controller from em3ev and a 48V 11.6AH rack battery with Panasonic NCR18650PF cells from BMSBattery (https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/77 ... ttery.html). For the front, I purchased a Bafang geared hub (http://www.ebay.com/itm/232088804915?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT), a 25 amp controller from em3ev and 2 36V 10.4AH batteries with Samsung 18650-29E cells. One Samsung battery came with the ProdecoTech bike and I purchased the second since the Samsung 18650-29E cells won't sufficiently power the 25 amp controller. I will run the Samsung batteries in parallel so they will properly power the 25 amp controller. Yes, my first bike will be 2 wheel drive! Getting over my head perhaps??? :)

Thank you all for assisting with my Frankenstein build.

Wade

I need a 48V rack battery within 7 days. I guess I will buy a Luna Cycle 48V battery, paint it black and let PayPal deal with BMSBattery.

Open the battery case and test the on/off switch. It is most likely the problem.

Oh, and you intend to place your throttles like this;
100_0028.JPG
100_0029.JPG

Works for me.

Read the posts about BMS; some individuals get what they ordered and it's functionally adequate, many don't. The one constant is that BMS doesn't give a rat's ass what you received. FME, PayPal will reimburse you.

Might wanna consider how OP's gonna ship a large lithium battery pack back to China? Plus they think/feel it’s probably defective? Good luck with that….

There’s plenty BMSB posts to catch up on the good, the bad and the ugly. I’m not gonna add much to that topic except I’ve always gotten what I ordered in a reasonable amount time.

Before/after questions and concerns? Mostly gibberish replies if any. Know what you’re buying beforehand and keep fingers crossed they actually ship what the picture and specs show.

However, I would never, ever, buy a battery from BMSB. Ironic since their name contains the word BATTERY, haha….

The demands of your controller must match the Cape capabilities of your battery. Don't buy a battery that can't provide the wattage needed from your controller. Slow down quit throwing money around ask first. It's tough building an e-bike it's definitely a learning curve that we're all having problems 2 walkthrough. 36v is hard for me to live with. Plus I need at least 2,000 watts so a battery that can produce 3000 Watts for headroom in safety.

999zip999 said:
The demands of your controller must match the Cape capabilities of your battery. Don't buy a battery that can't provide the wattage needed from your controller. Slow down quit throwing money around ask first. It's tough building an e-bike it's definitely a learning curve that we're all having problems 2 walkthrough. 36v is hard for me to live with. Plus I need at least 2,000 watts so a battery that can produce 3000 Watts for headroom in safety.

The batteries put out the continuous amp rating I need for the controllers. That is why I needed to tie two of the Samsung 29e batteries in parallel to handle the 25 amp controller.

Thanks for your comment. Any others on my build?

motomech said:
Open the battery case and test the on/off switch. It is most likely the problem.

View attachment 1

Works for me.

Yes, that is how I have my throttles set up. Thanks.

Any other suggestions or comments on my build? I expected more help from this respected and knowledgeable community.

greg176 said:
Have you opened the BMS Battery pack to see where the trouble is ? What charger are you using on that pack ?

I am using the charger that came with the battery. The fan on the charger blows and the light on the charger indicates it is charging.

I will or open the pack as that will provide BMSBattery with a PayPal defense.

TWadeJ said:
motomech said:

View attachment 1

Works for me.

Any other suggestions or comments on my build? I expected more help from this respected and knowledgeable community.

Don't get snooty. I suspect most are somewhat confused as to what you have done or trying to accomplish.
Ok, tell us exactly where you are at now.
Is the 48V batt. not working and therefore you are not riding the bike or are you using the frt. motor only?
Why will you not open the case and look at it?
It's really quite simple, if it's not a broken wire or something like that I would be suprized. Worst case,it would be a faulty BMS and that can be replaced. It's the cells that mostly you spent the money on.

I really don't understand your combo of motor types, motor speeds and batt. Voltages. Was there a plan I don't see?
Generally I try and match 2WD systems, or at least get them close.
My experience is, there is only so much power that can be transmitted by the frt. motor before it will spin, especially in 2WD where the rear motor tend to unload the frt.
If the frt. controller shuts down one battery, why not use a 20 Amp controller? That's what I would have done, but then, I would have made the frt. a 48 V system to match the rear and left the rear system alone(original).

You said you got a 40a controller then you say 25a controller. Confused. Your post is wandering. Your battery won't last at 40a. You got a little cheap on battery for my taste.

motomech said:
TWadeJ said:
motomech said:

View attachment 1

Works for me.

Don't get snooty. I suspect most are somewhat confused as to what you have done or trying to accomplish.
Ok, tell us exactly where you are at now.
Is the 48V batt. not working and therefore you are not riding the bike or are you using the frt. motor only?
Why will you not open the case and look at it?
It's really quite simple, if it's not a broken wire or something like that I would be suprized. Worst case,it would be a faulty BMS and that can be replaced. It's the cells that mostly you spent the money on.

I really don't understand your combo of motor types, motor speeds and batt. Voltages. Was there a plan I don't see?
Generally I try and match 2WD systems, or at least get them close.
My experience is, there is only so much power that can be transmitted by the frt. motor before it will spin, especially in 2WD where the rear motor tend to unload the frt.
If the frt. controller shuts down one battery, why not use a 20 Amp controller? That's what I would have done, but then, I would have made the frt. a 48 V system to match the rear and left the rear system alone(original).

I don't see where I got snooty and if I did I apologize. I have said please and thank you on numerous occasions in this thread and complimented the knowledge of the board members. I am a litigator. I know how to get snooty and trust me this isn't it! :) Cool?

Yes, since the 48v battery is not working I am not riding my bike. I will not open it without BMSBattery's written permission because if I do BMSBattery will use that as a defense with PayPal and say that I broke it. Again, if BMSBattery doesn't agree to make it right I will simply buy a Luna Cycle rack battery and collect vial PayPal. That is a pain in the ass and it would be easier for BMSBattery to do the right thing. I guess they don't care about their reputation or customer satisfaction.

Regarding the bike, the theory is simple. The rear more powerful motor (which works both via pedelec AND throttle) will be my primary means of propulsion. The front motor will only be used when I need extra torque, want to accelerate faster or are climbing hills my rear motor is struggling with. Makes perfect sense to me but I am new and that is why I am asking the opinion of you wise people (another compliment - not snooty). Why will that not work well in your experienced opinion. As I said, the build is in process so things can be changed if need be.

Thanks!

999zip999 said:
You said you got a 40a controller then you say 25a controller. Confused. Your post is wandering. Your battery won't last at 40a. You got a little cheap on battery for my taste.

???Wandering??? Where?

Two motors, two controllers and 3 batteries. The controllers are from em3ev with a programming cable. Tell me what amps I should set the controller at for the 48v 9c motor with Panasonic NCR18650PF cells?

Thanks.

Those cells are rated at 10 amps continuous each so 4s 40 amps that pack says 20 amp continuous but does not specify peak amps (probably 40). What is exact model of 9 Continent you have? Run it in the simulator and see what you like. You could start at 20 amps and go up to 40. IMHO the original motor on that bike could probably handle 1000 watts.

greg176 said:
Those cells are rated at 10 amps continuous each so 4s 40 amps that pack says 20 amp continuous but does not specify peak amps (probably 40). What is exact model of 9 Continent you have? Run it in the simulator and see what you like. You could start at 20 amps and go up to 40. IMHO the original motor on that bike could probably handle 1000 watts.

9C+ 2806 from ebikes.ca. The original motor has a wind which tops out at 20 mph for 700c tires.

greg176 said:

30 amp continuous. http://lunacycle.com/48v-panasonic-ebike-pack-11-5-or-14ah-slim-line-rear-rack/ Thanks for your help. Information overload!

TWadeJ said:
greg176 said:

30 amp continuous. http://lunacycle.com/48v-panasonic-ebike-pack-11-5-or-14ah-slim-line-rear-rack/ Thanks for your help. Information overload!

Thanks. :idea: anyone want an unused ProdecoTech motor? :)

Back