Help setting up controler

KERABO

1 mW
I have folding Ebike 24v with 20” wheels.

I was unable to find the correct controller so bought a complete kit with everything apart from the battery and wheel.

After a lot of searching I managed to understand most of the settings but one has me confused.
if you look at D in the R/H column it talks of magnetic pole conversion setting. I don’t have a clue with this but it is set to what it says is the default 46.
It runs ok with the throttle it now has apart from the pedal sensor that kicks in as it should but kicks out after a couple of turns and then comes back in after about 7 complete turns and repeats.
Any ideas please
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpeg
    IMG_0541.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0540.png
    IMG_0540.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
if you look at D in the R/H column it talks of magnetic pole conversion setting. I don’t have a clue with this but it is set to what it says is the default 46.
This is the number of magnets (or poles, or pole pairs) in the motor. If you have a DD or direct drive motor it is common for those to have 46 magnets (poles), or 23 pole pairs. If you have a geared hubmotor (more likely for a 24v system), then it is a bit more complicated, because if it is using this pole setting for a speedometer sensor, you have to include the gearing ratio in it (if there is no separate setting for that), so if ti has say, 40 magnets, and a 5:1 ratio, that's 5 x 40 = 200 poles, or half that if it asks for pairs.

If you are patient and careful you can count the magnets without opening it up. If it's a geared hubmotor it will only engage the motor if you manually rotate the wheel by hand in reverse (since it coasts freely if you roll it forward). If it's DD it will do ti either direction. When manually rotated very slowly, you feel a change in force every so often during rotation. The number of times you feel this in one rotation (from valve stem at the very top all the way to the same position again) is the number you're looking for. If you can't tell, there's other ways we can try, but knowing which specific motor you have might help if the number is already known for it..

It runs ok with the throttle it now has apart from the pedal sensor that kicks in as it should but kicks out after a couple of turns and then comes back in after about 7 complete turns and repeats.
What speed does it show? If the speed shows too high it might be above the limit for the assist level you've chosen, or the speed limit of the system as a whole, and the controller will stop assisting. (the speed may show too high if the poles setting is wrong and it's using that to determine speed).

If it's not that, then it could be the wrong setting for the PAS sensor, or the wrong sensor for the controller if it didn't come wiht it. If it did come with it, does the manual give the setting to use for that sensor (if there is a sensor setting)?

This is the number of magnets (or poles, or pole pairs) in the motor. If you have a DD or direct drive motor it is common for those to have 46 magnets (poles), or 23 pole pairs. If you have a geared hubmotor (more likely for a 24v system), then it is a bit more complicated, because if it is using this pole setting for a speedometer sensor, you have to include the gearing ratio in it (if there is no separate setting for that), so if ti has say, 40 magnets, and a 5:1 ratio, that's 5 x 40 = 200 poles, or half that if it asks for pairs.

If you are patient and careful you can count the magnets without opening it up. If it's a geared hubmotor it will only engage the motor if you manually rotate the wheel by hand in reverse (since it coasts freely if you roll it forward). If it's DD it will do ti either direction. When manually rotated very slowly, you feel a change in force every so often during rotation. The number of times you feel this in one rotation (from valve stem at the very top all the way to the same position again) is the number you're looking for. If you can't tell, there's other ways we can try, but knowing which specific motor you have might help if the number is already known for it..

What speed does it show? If the speed shows too high it might be above the limit for the assist level you've chosen, or the speed limit of the system as a whole, and the controller will stop assisting. (the speed may show too high if the poles setting is wrong and it's using that to determine speed).

If it's not that, then it could be the wrong setting for the PAS sensor, or the wrong sensor for the controller if it didn't come wiht it. If it did come with it, does the manual give the setting to use for that sensor (if there is a sensor setting)?
Thanks for the reply.
The speed shown in mph is accurate and although on the road about 20 mph max if the wheel is free it will spin over 30mph.
Can the magnets in the pedal sensor give this sort of problem?
As instead or removing the pedal I just fitted the new sensor to the original bracket as the magnets looked the same.
it comes in as it should but then just stops for about 7 turns.
The controller, throttle, display and pedal sensor all came as a kit.
Thanks Ken

That's a KT display that I never heard of, the LCD800. Can't find it in Google. This is just a recap from your document.
P2 = magnets x gears .... If the speed is correct on the display, P2 is good enough,

PAS sensors can be tricky. I believe you said you used the old disk? I had a problem last year with off/on PAS. I put in a new sensor, using the old disk, only because I couldn't find the new one, The problem seemed to go away but came back really bad in the summer. I would only get assist every half revolution! I found the teeth in the magnet disk were breaking off, and the disk was loose and slipping. I had to find that new disk. Fixed it.

So pull the pedal arms off and try the new disk.

Back