Henry111's free tech support thread

Out there somewhere somebody offers a device for testing Hall sensors.
The testing device I'm looking for can be used without opening the motor.
Can anybody direct me to the supplier?

Now that I think about it another member said lyen seems to be away.
Here http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1204602086.html
You will get it faster from Lyen though. Try him first.

if the hall sensor signal wire does not toggle between the 4.7-.2V levels when the wheel is turned then it is bad. you have to power up the controller to test it and if it is a geared motor you have to rotate the wheel backwards.

use the 20V DC scale on your voltmeter, put the black probe on the black wire in the 5 pin plug and then probe the three signal wires with the red probe while rotating the wheel. push the probes in from the backside of the plug while it is connected to the motor.

All you need is a voltmeter to test the hall circuit. If you just want to test the motor halls, you can use a 9V battery as a power source.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efYFOHnXh0E

Henry111 said:
What are some of the symptoms to watch for that might indicate bad Hall Sensors?
Symptoms derive from the idea that the sensors drive the commutation or sequencing of power between the phases.

Final catastrophic failure (totally dead hall) is most the commonly detected failure mode and typically presents as 'dead spots' where the motor will not start on its own. Each spot is only a few degrees wide and coincides with a position where the dead hall should be telling the controller to jolt the next phase - but isn't - so the wheel stays put. A little push and the motor starts right up. Once in motion, the motor coasts past the dead hall and runs on the remaining two.

teklektik said:
Henry111 said:
What are some of the symptoms to watch for that might indicate bad Hall Sensors?
Symptoms derive from the idea that the sensors drive the commutation or sequencing of power between the phases.

Final catastrophic failure (totally dead hall) is most the commonly detected failure mode and typically presents as 'dead spots' where the motor will not start on its own. Each spot is only a few degrees wide and coincides with a position where the dead hall should be telling the controller to jolt the next phase - but isn't - so the wheel stays put. A little push and the motor starts right up. Once in motion, the motor coasts past the dead hall and runs on the remaining two.

That seems to be the symptom on this bike. Won't start untill the bike is moved forward just a couple of inches. Then continues to run ok. Does that sound like it?

Yep, you've got a dead one for sure - or a broken hall connection.
Do the meter test in the links in your other thread to determine which one(s) is/are compromised - even a cheapie $6 meter from Harbor Freight is good enough...

Many threads here on replacing them - not difficult or expensive, but annoying.

teklektik said:
Yep, you've got a dead one for sure - or a broken hall connection.
Do the meter test in the links in your other thread to determine which one(s) is/are compromised - even a cheapie $6 meter from Harbor Freight is good enough...

Many threads here on replacing them - not difficult or expensive, but annoying.

I will definitely run those tests, and thanks to everybody for their advice. Now meanwhile, second bike when powered up does not run at all. Should I assume from that that all three sensors are bad? Of course, I am hoping that I just have bad connections. Small hope!!!!

I purchased 25 of these kits from the same China supplier and I now have four with bad Hall Sensors. If the company does not make good on this I will let you know the name of the company so folks on here can avoid them. I don't think I should have to go the expense and labor to fix a manufacturer's errors.

Can someone put me in contact with DarthSensate. I am trying to locate the China distributor of the original Amped kits. Darth ran the forum for Amped, so I am hopping that he might be able to help me.

For others reading, those motor controller throttle testers are easy to find on ebay.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26024

Back