Hilltopper motor custom control box question

fieroford

1 µW
Hello,
I need some help. I have a Hilltopper Horizon kit https://hilltopperbikes.com/product/horizon-40-mile-36v-electric-bike-kit/ and I am bypassing the control box it came with and using a KT control box with a KT LCD7, KT throttle and KT PAS sensor. The Hilltopper Horizon kit just has one PAS level at 15mph and top throttle speed at 20mph. ( I want a PAS with levels and have access to the motors top speed)

What I need help figuring out is does anyone know what the gear ratio and how many poles/magnets that motor has? I'm trying to figure my P1 settings. Hilltopper support is of no help at all.

Also is there a way to custom set the PAS level speeds? I know C14 has 1-3 but it makes little difference

My settings right now are as follows.
P1 130 (I'm guessing)
P2 2
P3 1
P4 0
P5 15
C1 3
C2 0
C3 8
C4 0
C5 10
C6 3
C7 1
C8 0
C9 0
C10 0
C11 0
C12 4
C13 0
C14 1

With these settings my PAS 1 is 25MPH as well as 2-5. Throttle works as should. I need a way to custom set the speed on PAS 1-4. Can this be done on this set up. If not, do yo have any recommendations on a control box that would work for my setup using my Hilltopper motor and battery?

Thanks in advance!

I would take my ebike tester box, which would test Hall sensors and spin a geared motor backwards while counting the number of times one LED indicator flashes. That's the P1 number, You can hang a 5Volt LED across one of the motor Hall sensors and do the same. A digital volt meter is too hard to see/count.

With KT controllers, PAS 1 thru PAS 5 will push pre-determined current levels, while C5 can lower them all by the same percentage. They should not all have the same top speed unless you're testing with the wheel off the ground. If there is no load, not much current ios needed to spin the wheel, and perhaps all the PAS levels have the same top speed.

I do not know. It never occurred to me to do a speed test with wheel in air using pedals. I always used the throttle. To some extent, the P1 number did affect the displayed speed on the LCD, but it didn't seem predictable.

Thanks for the info! Yes the wheel was off the ground but once I did a real test it made a small difference but it seems there are no cut off top speeds for PAS 1-5.

Does the hall sensor connectors, both on the motor and controller side have a white wire (6 wires instead of 5)? Since it's a geared motor, speed won't register when you are coasting, so many include a 6 magnet speed sensor built inside the hub, so the speedo works when coasting and under power, so that would affect the P2 setting as well.

Back