Horses of Iron

This news report is from the Marlborough Express (Blenheim NZ), 1909, where presumably Hutt Borough councillors were already hearing complaints from cyclists about the dangers of motorized bicycles using "their" bike lanes and pathways...

MOTOR-BIKE NOT A BIKE.

Has the council the legal right to prohibit motor cyclists riding on the tracks formed for cyclists alongside the borough roads? Such was the text of a question referred by the Hutt Borough Council to Mr T. F. Martin, counsel to the Municipal Association of New Zealand. Mr Martin's answer to the conundrum was received at Monday night's meeting of the council (says The Post). In his opinion, a motor bicycle was not a bicycle within the meaning of the by-law of March, 1909. A motor-cycle, he said, was a motor within the Motor Regulations Act,, 1908. He considered that a person driving a motor-cycle on the cycle tracks, affected by the by-law, would come within the description of a person who drives any vehicle contained in the penalty clause of the Municipal Corporations Act, which empowered the council to construct cycle tracks "for the use of cyclists only," and to regulate and control the use of such tracks. "Cyclist," he said, was defined in Webster's Dictionary as one who rides a bicycle, and "cycle" is defined as including a bicycle, a tricycle, or other light velocipede. "Seeing that the word 'cyclist' is new, and that the council has power to regulate the use of cycle tracks," concluded Mr Martin, "I consider that it is quite within the power of the council to exclude motor-cycles therefrom, and moreover it appears that the term 'cyclist,' if the by-law were silent on the subject, would exclude a person driving a motor cycle." Lord Alverstone, he pointed out, held in 1904 that a motor-bicycle came within the statutory definition. Apropos of his ruling, the judge remarked: "A machine which carries a person along a road is none the less a carriage because it is a very uncomfortable thing, and because he is shaken very much when he goes along."

From 1906, reminds me of ES threads where racers are still sorting out categories and types of EVents for ebikes...
:D
nyt_1906jun24-001.jpg

nyt_1906mar12.jpg

Now I want to know how much ebikes are taking away market share from pedal-only bikes...

Lock

Typical media distortion... Coupla kids driving down the wrong side of the road then swerve at the last moment into the path of the cyclist, injuring the cyclist and killing their horse... and the headline makes it a "motor-cycle" accident...
:evil:

I do think Mr.Best will have proceeded more cautiously (slow down!) in the future...
L0cK

These old NZ newspapers are pretty fun... "Demon" writes a weekly column for cyclists:

NOTES BY DEMON.

There were 132,276 cycles used for pleasure solely in France last year, a fact disclosed through the collection of the tax imposed on them. The proportion of bicycles and tricycles is not stated. Cycles used by tradesmen for purely business purposes are exempt from the tax.

Mr J.Townsend-Trench, J.P., of Dublin, is generally regarded as the introducer of the bicycle into England. About 1854 Trench bought a "velocipede" as it was then called in Paris from a blacksmith named Micheaux, and later on he took it to England and Ireland, to the consternation of the unsophisticated inhabitants of those islands. Trench is still an active cyclist, and took part in a race as recently as last year.

Succesful trials have been made at Munich with a newly-invented motor bicycle. The motor is heated with benzine, and serves also as a brake. The Munichner Allemeine Zeitung describes the machine as a perfect solution of the much-discussed problem. Its shape is very similar to the present bicycle, only the saddle is much lower, which almost entirely excludes the danger of falling sideways. It can be stopped any moment, and the feet may be set on the ground without the rider leaving the saddle. The motor itself can also be stopped instantaneously. A maximum speed of from 25 to 50 miles per hour is applicable to every bicycle. The machine allows of going up hill at the same speed as is generally applied on level ground, while a novel brake system admits of travelling along mountain roads.

"...132,276 cycles used for pleasure solely in France..."
Funny how the 1880s-1890s are described today as a "golden age" for bikes and trikes, where in 1894 France had a population of 38.5+ million so this is only about one bike per 300 persons...but I'll guess most bikes were urban (better roads, higher incomes) so higher per capita ownership in the cities.

John Townsend Trench sounds like a pretty cool guy, rolling around town on his Micheaux. This would have been about a decade before Micheaux figured out he could add pedals to his bikes...
Townsend Trench bio here:
http://www.dia.ie/architects/view/5380

The "Munich" motor bicycle Demon mentioned was the Hildebrand and Wolfmuler bike, maybe the first to drop the pretence of pedals...
file.php

CYCLING.

NOTES BY DEMON.
A contributor to Bicycling News gives in the issue of May 20 the following information regarding the much-talked-of form of motor-driven bicycles:- "Judging by the result of the trials that were made on Coventry track last Friday, I do not think that the new form of motor-driven bicjcles are likely to supersede the ordinary manual-propelled cycles of the present day. A couple of machines of the Hildebrand and Wolfmuller were type put on trial, which were manned by riders who were supposed to have made themselves thoroughly conversant with the peculiarities and eccentricities of the new form of cycle, but I must say they looked anything/ but happy when they had got their machines into motion, and for anyone of nervous temperament I do not think the motor-driven bicycles will commend themselves. In the first place, the machine weighs something like 1501b, is cumbersome in appearance, and has a penchant for having entirely its own way, and doing just exactly what it likes rather than submit to the controlling influences of the rider. The man on the wheel is not of course called upon to do any pedalling all he has to do is to sit still and control the steering (if he can), and keep his head cool, which it no easy task, especially when the machine you are trying to persuade to go round a corner is determined to strike off in an entirely opposite direction. When in full swing it snorts and grunts and groans like a steam fire engine, and the vibration is enough to shatter the nerves of anyone even with a cast-iron kind of constitution; that is one reason why I don't think the motor bicycle has come to stay; another reason is because of the difficulty of steering. During one of the trials one of the 'experts' was showing off its speed qualities to the best advantage, and was taking it round for a fast lap, doing at the time about 20 miles an hour, when the machine shied at one of the curves, and instead of responding to the requirements of its rider it made for the railings and unceremoniously 'chucked' the poor unfortunate expert all of a heap on to the gravel, doing some damage to the machine and driver, thus putting an end to the day's trials and tribulations. All these things considered, I have come to the conclusion that the days of the motor bicycle are not yet."

Still working out steering geometry...
:)

L0cK

News via Wellington NZ:

MOTOR CARS AT THE IMPERIAL INSTITUTE.

The Motor Car Club (says the Exchange) held a very successful reception in the north gallery of the Imperial Institute, London, one day last month. The gallery was given up to an exhibition of various patterns of motor cars, and in the garden adjoining the gallery an enclosure was roped off in which the cars and their drivers could display their powers. Carriages of all patterns, motor tricycles, and a curious bathchair sort of arrangement described as a quadricycle went merrily round and round and up and down long inclined planes which sloped at 1 in 15 and one in 10 respectively, and in every way their action was above criticism. Apart from that, though, the motor car is yet far from perfect. Most of them looked clumsy and heavy, and everyone vibrated in a manner which indicated that they would be far from comfortable vehicles on a long journey. There was also a large number of distinguished visitors present who showed greatest interest in the proceedings; but perhaps none of them was more interested than the Lord Chamberlain, who, after spending some time in riding gaily up and down in one of the cars, chatted in turn with nearly all the exhibitors, examining their cars and machinery most critically. The exhibition showed clearly that the motor car is a most tractable and obedient machine, but that it is capable of being brought to a still higher pitch of perfection. After the reception there was a banquet, at which Mr. Harry J. Lawson (the chairman and inventor of the present safety bicycle) pointed out that converting the world was a slow process, but that people, and especially business people, were last becoming adherents to the new condition of things. It was no idealist's dream, he said, but a practical speculation that as soon as the Act now under consideration at St. Stephen's was passed, the horseless carriage would not be the only mysteriously driven vehicle on our road ways. It would have a crowd of companions in the motor bicycle, as any who cared to look round the galleries could see for themselves.

Exciting times for the horseless carriage folks in the UK... from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_John_Lawson
Harry John Lawson

Early years
The son of a brass turner, Lawson designed several types of bicycle in the 1870s. His efforts were described as the "first authentic design of safety bicycle employing chain-drive to the rear wheel which was actually made", and has been ranked alongside John Kemp Starley as an inventor of the modern bicycle.

Motor promotor
Lawson saw great opportunities in the creation of a motor car industry in Britain, and sought to enrich himself by garnering important patents and shell companies.

In 1895, as one of many attempts to promote his schemes and lobby Parliament for the elimination of the Red Flag Act, Lawson and Frederick Simms founded the Motor Car Club of Britain.

Lawson and the Motor Car Club organised the first London to Brighton run, the "Emancipation Run", which was held on 14th November 1896 to celebrate the relaxation of the Red Flag Act, which eased the way for the start of the development of the British motor industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotives_on_Highways_Act_1896
Locomotives on Highways Act 1896
The powerful railways lobby and those with interests in transport using horse-drawn vehicles advocated the original Locomotive Acts which imposed very low speed limits and other restrictions on the use of "locomotives" and motorcars on the UK public highways.

Motor car enthusiasts strongly urged the removal of these restrictions on motorcars. The Mayor of Tunbridge Wells, Sir David Salomons, organized the first automobile exhibition to be held on 15 October 1895 in his local agricultural society's showgrounds. On the day the ground was too soft so he led the vehicles out onto the road from the showground to the town. "Not one of the horses so much as lifted an eye as the horseless carriages sped somewhat noisily by".

The enthusiasts included London company-promoter turned motor-industry promoter H J Lawson, who in July 1895 successfully floated his British Motor Syndicate Limited and in 1896 formed The Daimler Motor Company Limited to buy F J Simms' Daimler Motor Syndicate. F J Simms had already formed his Self Propelled Traffic Association in 1895 then followed it in 1897 with a motorist's club now known as the RAC. These enthusiasts, Henry Sturmey of publishers Iliffe & Sturmey edited it himself, also started The Autocar in November 1895 to tell of the burgeoning motor industry in France, attract the support of the public and publicize their promotion events.

The day before the flotation of The Daimler Motor Company Limited and Lawson's promoting gathering of almost 1700 people on 15 February 1896, the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, was driven about the location, the Imperial Institute, by Simms' friend, Evelyn Ellis, in the Daimler-engined Panhard & Levassor which Ellis and Simms had brought in from France and used in July 1895 for Britain's first long distance motorcar journey —Southampton to Datchet and on to Malvern without police intervention. The Prince said "Evelyn, don't drive so fast, I am frightened!" as too were the bystanders but he was impressed and later agreed to become patron of Britain's first motor show. "Ellis subsequently ran the car in many parts of England doing what he could to induce the authorities to take proceedings against him . . . but the authorities did not accept his challenge".

By 1895 some drivers of early lightweight steam-powered autocars thought that these would be legally classed as a horseless carriage and would therefore be exempt from the need for a preceding pedestrian. John Henry Knight brought a test case to court in 1895. On 17 October 1895 Knight's assistant, James Pullinger, was stopped in Castle Street, Farnham, by the Superintendent of Police and a crowd had gathered by the time Knight arrived. The Superintendent asked whether it was a steam engine, Knight replied that it was not and thus admitted liability. He and Pullinger were charged with using a locomotive without a licence. The case was heard at Farnham Petty Sessions in Farnham Town Hall on 31 October 1895. Knight and Pullinger were both fined half a crown 2s 6d (or possibly 5 shillings) plus 10 shillings costs (or possibly 12s 6d).

The government first debated the Locomotives On The Highway Act in 1895 but the bill lapsed when Gladstone's minority Liberal government fell that year. Following the 1895 General Election a new government, formed by the Conservative and Liberal Unionist parties, debated the proposal again and the act was passed taking effect 14 November 1896.

During the debate for the bill various speeds between 10 mph and 14 mph were discussed with reference to the speed of a horse and what would be deemed to be 'furious driving' in relation to a horse.

Clauses
This Act defined a new category of vehicle, light locomotives, which were vehicles under 3 tons unladen weight. These 'light locomotives' were exempt from the 3 crew member rule, and were subject to the higher 14 mph (22 km/h) speed limit although most Local Government Boards had the authority to reduce it to 12 mph (19 km/h)

Amusing letters from NZ in 1887:

Hawke's Bay Herald, Volume XXII, Issue 7908, 24 November 1887, Page 2

YOUR OWN INVENTOR.

Sir, - Mr Lewis Stead annoys me with his "inventions." I will only deal with one, his electric tricycle. No doubt you, not being an electrician, don't know why and how it is pure bosh. To proceed: Mr Stead suggests carrying a "dynamo." He is not aware that a dynamo requires power to work it. It is an engine, running at a very high rate of speed, and can only be worked by steam, water, or other source of power. A man couldn't work one. Probably Mr Stead means a storage battery. If so, I can assure him it has been tried over and over again. These batteries are extremely heavy, and can only be charged economically by dynamos. Mr Stead's notion that they could be charged at telegraph offices is perfectly childish. This would mean that zinc was used as fuel instead of coal. Surely Mr Stead knows that the energy you get out of a battery is proportional to the zinc consumed? And considering that 7lb of zinc will do about as much work as 1lb of coal, while the zinc is at least twenty times as expensive, you may see that zinc, as a fuel, is about 150 times as expensive as coal. That is why electric lights are never worked by batteries, but always by dynamos. A battery will work a microscopic lamp of 1/2 candle power, or a dental engine, because the actual amount of energy required is trivial. But to lay down a battery that would charge Mr Stead's tricycle would cost a sum that would appal him, while the cost of fuel (zinc) per horse power would be 25s per day, as against what coal would cost, which is about one shilling. I can assure Mr Stead that inventors all over the world are trying to do what he wants, but they fail. Small steam engines somehow won't work. A big steam engine consumes about 1s worth of coal per horsepower per day. A little one consumes so much more that it can't be practically adopted to tricycles. Ordinary batteries are too heavy and costly; storage batteries are too heavy on a small scale, and also can only be re-charged where you can have the use of a dynamo. I should recommend Mr Stead to read the Scientific American regularly, and his eyes will be opened. - l am, &c, SCIENTULIST.

ELECTRIC TRICYCLE.

Sir, - Your correspondent "Scientulist" blames me greatly for mentioning such a thing as an electric tricycle, and calls it "bosh." Yet he says "I can assure Mr Stead that inventors all over the world are trying to do what he wants, but they fail." If so, then I am comforted, because there are evidently other bosh people to keep me in countenance. I have read of two or three instances of electric tramways being successful; how or on what principle does not concern me, not having sufficient time or money to go fully into the matter, nor yet as to whether they are or are not financial successes. That matter concerns the promoters and shareholders, but not "your own inventor," as it seems I am to be called, although I disclaim such a title, not having sufficient leisure to carry it out. As to the question of cost, that is simply a difficulty to be grappled with by the aforesaid inventors - if there are such engaged in electric tricycle making all over the world. I am acquainted with the fact that it is the cost that has hitherto prevented the more general use of electricity as a motive power, and in order to overcome that difficulty it has been proposed to utilise water power as being cheaper than zinc, &c. I am also aware that probably ere long, on account of the numbers who have time and means to investigate, there will be a great cheapening in the first cost of electricity. Should that occur in a reasonable time then it may yet be possible to see "Scientulist" going to Hastings in his electric tricycle. As to dynamo machinery therein I was in error. Not often reading The Scientific American or other similar papers I got rather mixed. However, that is a small matter; the important thing is the tricycle.— I am, &c., L. Stead.

The Hawke's Bay Herald was published in Napier NZ so the proposed trip to Hastings by electric trike would have been about 22kms via the coast road over flat terrain...

Today in NZ electric trikes on the North Island still charge on about 60% hydro-,geo-,wind etc renewables.

LocK

Sad thoughts about electric trikes from Gisborne NZ in 1918:

MECHANICAL APPLIANCES FOR WOUNDED SOLDIERS.

There is a constantly increasing demand for tricycles and motor cars, besides other mechanical appliances, for men who have lost limbs during the war. The future possibilities for the sale of this class of goods for wounded soldiers and sailors cannot at present be accurately gauged, though the demand will probably reach into the thousands. It is estimated that in Great Britain alone from 500,000 to 1,000,000 tools suitable for use by men having an artificial arm, to enable them to carry on their previous trades as plumbers, blacksmiths, carpenters, etc., could be sold. One expert claims that there is at present a market for at least 100,000 small motor cars or electric tricycles, well and simply constructed and easily manipulated, for the use of crippled officers and men. No such machine has yet made its appearance in the Dunfermline district, and when a practical motor or tricycle appears at a price below 500dol. the sale of a large number seems assured from the start. Bicycles are becoming increasingly scarce. Wheels formerly selling at 25dol. to 30dol. now bring 60dol. to 70dol., often being difficult to obtain at any reasonable figure. Cripples' chairs and hand tricycles have become equally difficult to obtain and costly, with scarcely any yet seen suitable for this hilly city. If American manufacturers would pay particular heed to the various types of machines needed here as compared with those used in a flat country, the demand would be more readily understood. An efficient hill-climbing electric tricycle or motor - one easily understood and handled by an armless or legless man would meet an urgent need, and if such a machine were ready at the close of the war the sales reached would be beyond any figures yet reported.

Front page news in Christchurch NZ in 1894, news from London via New York:

ELECTRIC VEHICLES.

PARCEL VANS AND OMNIBUSES RUN BY STORAGE BATTERY SYSTEM.
(New York Sun.)

The development of electricity as a traction force has been going on in Great Britain along entirely different lines from those followed in this country, and quite recently some highly interesting results, novel to our experiences here, have been attained. Great Britain has seemingly been very backward in adopting electricity for traction purposes. There are probably less than a dozen electric railroad lines in operation in the kingdom. The most prominent and successful electric railway is the Liverpool elevated railway, running a distance of six miles along the line of docks. There are a few electric street car lines.

A few weeks ago an electric parcels van was run experimentally through the busiest of London streets, and an electric omnibus made similar trial trips about the same time. So far as the operation of the vehicles was concerned the experiments were a success. The designers claim equal success for the financial end of the experiment. Three oompanies have been formed to operate vehicles of this character and other vehicles with the same methods of traction, and it is declared by the experts that the era of electric traction for all purposes, on common roads, has definitely set in.

The experiments looking to this end have been in progress twelve years or more. An electric tricycle was invented and run for a brief period by Professor Ayrton about 1885, and in 1886 an electric cab, the first electric vehicle of the kind carrying its own energy in storage form, was invented and operated by Mr Radcliffe Ward, who is the inventor of the latest success, the electric omnibus. The cab was run in Brighton for some months, and demonstrated the possibilities of this method of traction, but not its economic success. Later an electric dog-cart, and then an electric waggonette for the Sultan of Turkey were built. But these vehicles only demonstrated the power of electricity to move vehicles on common roads, and left the profitable operation of such vehicles still a problem.

The motive power for all such vehicles on common roads is, of course, derived from storage batteries carried in the vehicles themselves, and the weight of these batteries and the cost of charging and recharging them has always been the crux of the situation. It is believed by the inventors of at least two types of electric road vehicles, and by a large number of business men and capitalists who have formed companies to develop and operate them, that the difficulty has now been solved.

Both the electrical omnibus and the electric parcels van referred to have been running in the streets of London for several weeks. The vehicles have attracted a great deal of attention. They roll along steadily and easily, and thread their way among the mass of cabs, omnibuses, and trucks with a nicety that excites general admiration. They are under perfect control, and run at different speeds as the circumstances warrant. In a clear stretch of street they go at a pace of ten miles an hour, though this is not the limit of their speed by any means. The horses seem not to mind the electrical vehicles at all. It would take a good deal to startle a London cab or bus horse, anyhow.

The 'bus can carry twenty-six passengers, ten on each side in the interior and six on a cross seat on the roof. The two storage batteries which furnish the power are carried one under each seat, and the motor is in a box slung between the rear wheels, to which the power is applied. The batteries weigh 1800lb each. The 'bus itself weighs about 2 1/4 tons, and when fully loaded with passengers it is calculated to weigh, in all, a little over six tons.

In the estimates which the inventor has prepared for the company formed to operate a line of these omnibuses, it is stated that the cost of operation would be less than six cents per car mile. The present cost of operating such an omnibus by horse traction is stated to be about ten cents per car mile. The inventor says his omnibus could easily make an average of 580 miles per week, the figures being given for a special route over which it is proposed to run the vehicles in London.

The electrical parcels van is the invention of tbe electrical engineering firm of E.J.Clubbe and Co. In its general operative features it is similar to the Ward omnibus. It is equally a success.

It is pointed out that with electrical vehicles there will be less wear and tear on the roadways, for all the pounding of horses' hoofs will be done away with. The weight of the electrical vehicles will be great, but the tires of the wheels will be broad. Wood or other noiseless pavements will become universal, and the tremendous volume of street noise which how afflicts the public will be almost wholly abated. Pneumatic tires for electrical vehicles are a probability. Rubber tires have been tried on the electrical omnibus, but they were too expensive. Makers of pneumatic tires, however, say they can make pneumatic tires that will outwear solid rubber and be satisfactorily economical. A third company, which has been formed to operate electrical omnibuses, cabs, and parcels vans, is now constructing an electrical omnibus, which is to have pneumatic tires. Twenty-six omnibuses of the Ward type are to be built forthwith and operated in London, and the Clubbe Parcels Van Company is also planning extensive operations.

Always a good read, Lock, thanks and keep 'em coming! :D

-JD

(Thanks oat!)

ELECTRICITY AND THE ANIMALS.
(Spectator.)

Supposing that dream realized (that electricity will take the place of horses as the motive power of the future), and is only dream - as the telephone and the phonograph were once dreams - what will be the effect upon the relation of men, and especially on Englishmen, to animals?

Properly speaking, if men were governed more by reason and less by selfishness, it should be altogether bad. The first bond between man and the dumb creatares ought to be gratitude for the service rendered him, service paid, as far as most animals are concerned, only by a grant of the means to continue living in health; and of all dumb service, there in none rendered to him like that of the beasts of draught. Imagine Britain, or, for that matter, London, with all animal service suspended, and think how the means of living in comfort would be suspended with it.

The very bread we eat would be almost unprocurable, and the cost of every article would be multiplied almost as terribly as the call upon human labour. As a matter of fact, however, the gratitude of man is but little called out by involuntary service; and he is more grateful to the horse which carries him to the hunt, and appears to do it joyfully, or to the comparatively useless dog who welcomes him on his return home, than to the horse which brings his flour, or to the bullock which over three-fourths of the planet drags the indispensable plough.

The "beasts of burden," as we call them, are nowhere, we think, treated with deliberate cruelty; but everywhere out of England they are treated callously; and even in England, where kindness to animals has risen of late years into a cult, they are habitually and injuriously overworked.

Whole classes of them, for example omnibus horses, are used up, as slaves once were in Cuba, by sheer toil, their lives being shortened by two-thirds of their natural term by overdriving; while other classes, we fear, for instance, a majority of laundry horses, are positively starved, not indeed so much by an insufficient supply of food as by indifference to its quality. Pleasure horses are pampered, pet horses are coddled, all dogs are made much of - which is their idea of happiness - but of portion are made to lead lives needlessly full of suffering or at least needlessly deprived of their fair recompense in enjoyment. After all unless there is positive ill-treatment few men give a thought to the cab horses whose labour adds to their own power of rapid action perhaps 10 per cent.

The suppression of the beasts of burden by a mechanical slave would not, therefore, diminish the kindness of man for beasts so much as, a priori, ought to be the case. On the contrary, by concentrating attention on the beast which gives pleasure, the general feeling for such animals as survived, would probably be considerably improved. The position of the dog would be unaffected, while the riding horse, which can never be superseded - for no electric tricycle or chariot will ever be taught to jump - would be better liked than ever, from the increased contrast between his conscious and usually willing aid and that of the more useful but passive and mindless electric slave. The war horse, too, so far as he was not superseded by the war chariot, would gradually be improved, being the beasts which do the work a large pro-specially bred for that particular function. This would be still more the case in Asia, where cows are almost universally regarded as benefactors, and where, with the cessation of plough drawing, all the animals left in existence would live lives of ease which would speedily come to be considered, like the idleness of Brahminee bulls in India, their heaven derived right.

The effect of the general use of an electric motor would be, in fact, purely good upon the beasts suffered to remain, and upon man's relation to them; but then there is that qualification to be considered.

How many beasts intended by nature, or at all events by the habitude of countless centuries, to draw loads for man would survive the extinction of their utility? We fear none, except the few kept as curiosities, for no one would rear animals at great expense merely to be looked at, and there is no room in the settled countries for troops and herds of ownerless beasts. The horses and draught bullocks would perish, and we suppose that, as it is natural to all conscious things to wish to live, this must be counted as a heavy drawback to the scientific advance. It is not, however, one which would perceptibly affect the mind of man - Venetians, for example, who never see beasts of draught, being just like other Italians - and it is the influence of the change on man that we are considering to-day.

Ah, Grasshopper... the Zen of ebikes...

Writing of electric locomotion on roads, a leading Home paper says:- "As the new accumulators already are for the same storage capacity of half the weight of the best form of Faure cell, and give off more of their store of energy at once, there seems every reason to believe that in a few months a perfectly practical electric tricycle will be produced, capable of running 15 or 20 miles without recharging the accumulators, and able to ascend all such hills as are now possible for the foot-tricycle, and even steeper gradients if auxiliary foot gearing be used to help the electromotor when the incline is great. Of course at present the most perfect machine of this kind is a mere luxury and toy. Only those who have access to dynamo-machines or other sources of electric energy could make use of them. But perhaps, even soon people in the service of electric light companies may find some such mode of rapid transport without fatigue convenient; whilst, when there is a good supply of electric energy to most private houses under the provisions of the Electric Light Act of 1882, it is not improbable that such machines may become of everyday use."
Pretty cool they had already doubled energy density and upped power density just a couple of years after Faure first produced his cells...

I see the Internet Archive has the full approx. 145pg annotated text of the British Electric Lighting Act of 1882 here:
http://www.archive.org/details/electriclightin00edwagoog
An Act to facilitate and regulate the supply of Electricity for Lighting and other purposes in Great Britain and Ireland. [18th August, 1882.]
...basically the legislation that set the framework for local authorities to license utility companies (for a period not exceeding seven years) to provide power to public and private premises.

Tons of standards and guidelines eg:
"IV. Danger to Person.

" 20. To secure persons from danger inside buildings, it is essential so to arrange the conductors and fittings, that no one can be exposed to the shocks of alternating currents exceeding 60 volts; and that there should never be a difference of potential of more than 200 volts between any two points in the same room.

" 21. If the difference of potential within any house exceeds 200 volts, whether the source of electricity be external or internal, the house should be provided outside with a switch so arranged that the supply of electricity can be at once cut off."

Dr. Siemens :-

In a quarter of a square mile, which would be a proper electric district in a densely populated town, 2000 horse-power would be required. One horse-power can sustain ten incandescent lamps of 15-candle power, in action. The cost of each horse-power, on a large scale, would be that of 2 lbs. of coal per hour, plus the general expenses of working and maintaining machinery, including superintendence, interest, and depreciation.

The installation in such a district, containing from 1200 to 1500 houses, each house being lighted on the average with twenty incandescent lights of 15-candle power each, and seventy arc lights, for use in streets, halls, and open spaces, including all expenses, except that of purchasing the lamps, would be £100,000.

The annual cost of working, excluding interest and sinking fund, would probably be about £22,000.

In making this estimate it was assumed that gas would still be used for both public and private purposes.

Looks like Dr. Siemens was figuring on each household getting by on only maybe 1000 watts of power for lighting etc and charging electric tricycles... not good... :lol:

L0cK

THE ELECTRIC TRANSMISSION OF POWER.

Lecture delivered by Prof. Ayrton, F.R.S., at the Drill Hall, Bath, on Friday, September 7, 1888.

WHAT is power, and why should we wish to transmit it?

Power has one very definite meaning in science, and several rather vague meanings in practice. We speak of a powerful athlete, the power of the law; we sing of the power of love; we say knowledge is power, and so on, using the word in several different senses. Now, in spite of the fact that a general audience feels a little anxious as to what troubles may be in store for it when a lecturer begins by being painfully exact, my telling you that by power an engineer understands the rate of doing work will not, I hope, make you fear that my remarks will bristle with technicalities.

When you walk upstairs you exert power - only, perhaps, the one-twentieth of a horse when you go up slowly, talking to other people. But when you run upstairs because you have forgotten something that you intended to bring down, then your exertions represent, perhaps, the one-tenth of a horse-power. You only get to the top of the stairs in either case, but the breathless sensation of running fast upstairs tells you that the more quickly you go the harder you are working. A person exercises power in the engineer's sense when he exerts himself physically, and the greater the exertion the greater the power. The exercise of power by the ruling classes, however, is unfortunately not necessarily accompanied by any exertion, physical or mental.

Probably the most familiar example of exerting power at a distance - that is, of transmitting power - is pulling a handle and ringing a bell in another room. I pull the handle, exerting myself slightly, and as the result the bell at the other end of the platform rings. Were not this such a very familiar operation I would call it experiment No. I. You have doubtless all of you performed this experiment several times to-day, and - what is all important with an experiment - performed it successfully.

And yet it was not until just one hundred years ago that it dawned on people that if one person, A, wanted to attract the attention of another person, B, the place where the bell ought to sound was where B was, and not where A was. Indeed, in many English villages down to the present day the knocker principle of attracting attention is alone resorted to, with the result which you may remember happened when Mr. Pickwick was staying in Bath at lodgings in the Royal Crescent, and Mr. Dowler undertook to sit up for Mrs. Dowler, but "made up his mind that he would throw himself on the bed in the back room and think - not sleep, of course... Just as the clock struck three there was blown into the crescent a sedan-chair with Mrs.Dowler inside, borne by one short fat chairman and one long thin one... They gave a good round double knock at the street door... 'Knock again, if you please,' said Mrs. Dowler, from the chair. 'Knock two or three times, if you please.' The short man stood on the step and gave four or five most startling double knocks of eight or ten knocks a-piece, while the long man went into the road and looked up at the windows for a light. Nobody came - it was as silent and as dark as ever." But the tall thin man, you may remember. "kept on perpetually knocking double knocks of two loud knocks each, like an insane postman," till Mr. Winkle, waking up from a dream "that he was at a club where the chairman was obliged to hammer the table a good deal to preserve order," met with the catastrophe which the readers of "Pickwick" will remember.

This episode shows what comes of having plenty of power and no means of transmitting it.

But if some houses can still dispense with mechanical or other methods of transmitting power, even to ring bells, factories cannot. The looms, the lathes, or whatever the machinery used in the factory may be, must either be worked by hand or foot in the old style, or it must be connected with the steam-, gas-, or water-engine in the new. On entering a large factory you see lines of rapidly-rotating shafting, and a network of rapidly-revolving belting, all employed in transmitting power. As a contrast to this, I now throw on the screen a photograph of Sir David Salomon's workshop at Tunbridge Wells, in which every machine is worked by a separate electric motor, thus saving to a great extent the loss of power that usually accompanies the mechanical transmission.

Salomons_workshop.jpg

In America there are 6000 electromotors working machinery; in Great Britain hardly 100.

But it is not only in transmitting the power from the steam-, gas-, or water-engine of a factory to the various machines working in it, that electricity can be utilized. An incredible amount of power is daily running to waste in this and other countries because many of the rapid streams of water are too far away from towns for their power to have been hitherto utilised.

The holiday tourist, when admiring the splashing water dashing over the stones, hardly realizes that the money loss is as if the foam were composed of flakes of silver.

If we take as a low estimate that a large well-made steam engine burns only 2 pounds of coal per horse-power per hour, the coal consumption which would be equivalent to the waste of power at Niagara would exceed 150,000,000 tons per annum, which at only 5s. or 6s. per ton means some £40,000,000 sterling wasted. And descending from big things to small, the River Avon, flowing through Bath, which, so far from being a roaring cataract, especially in dry weather, pursues its course with only a respectable orderly swish, still represents a certain amount of lost power. It has been estimated that from 25 to 130 horse-power runs to waste at the Bathwick Weir behind the Guildhall, depending on the season. If we take as an all-round average that the fall of this weir represents 50 horse-power, and that a steam-engine producing this power burns 150 pounds of coal per hour, it follows that with steam coal at 16s. per ton - the price at Bath - the waste at Bathwick Weir represents an income of £450 per annum, not a princely fortune, it is true, but too large to be utterly thrown away as at present.

This state of things will I hope, however, be shortly remedied, for, as you will see from the large map on the wall, it is proposed to put up eighty-one electric arc lamps throughout the streets of Bath, and to supply the 50 horse-power required for these lamps by the fall of the Bathwick Weir, supplementing the fall with a steam-engine at dry seasons.

The next large diagram shows the use that Lord Salisbury has made of the River Lea to electrically light Hatfield House, and to supply electric motive power to the various machines working on his estate. The following diagram shows the course of the Portrush electric railway, six and a half miles long, which is worked by the Bushmill Falls, situated at about one mile from the nearest point of the railway. And lastly, this working model on the table, kindly lent me by Dr.E.Hopkinson, as well as the diagram on the wall, represent the Bessbrook and Newry electric tramway, a little over three miles in length, which is also worked entirely by water power, the turbine and dynamo which convert the water power into electric power being at about three-quarters of a mile from the Bessbrook terminus. [Model electric railway shown in action.]

The newspapers of last week contained a long account of the spiral electric mountain railway that has just been opened to carry people up the Burgenstock, near Lucerne, and worked by the River Aar, three miles away, so that we see electric traction worked by distant water power is extending. But, splendid as are these most successful uses of water power to actuate distant electromotors, it is but a stray stream here and there that has yet been utilized, and countless wealth is still being squandered in all the torrents all over the world.

The familiarity of the fact makes it none the less striking, that, while we obtain in a laborious way from the depths of the earth the power we employ, we let run to waste every hour of our lives many many times as much as we use.

It is also a well-established, time-honoured fact that large steam-engines can be worked much more economically than small ones, and that therefore if it were possible to economically transmit the power from a few very large steam-engines to a great number of small workshops there would be a great saving of power, as well as a great saving of time from the workmen in these many small workshops having only to employ this power for various industrial purposes, instead of having to stoke, clean, repair, and generally attend to a great number of small, uneconomical steam-engines.

When delivering the lecture which I had the honour to give at the meeting of the British Association at Sheffield nine years ago, I entered fully into Prof. Perry's and my own views on this subject, and therefore I will not enlarge on them now. You can all realize the difference between the luxury of merely getting into a train instead of having to engage post-horses; of being able to send a telegram instead of employing a special messenger; or being able to turn on a gas tap and apply a match when you want a light, instead of having to purchase oil and a wick, and trim a lamp. Well, a general supply of power to workshops is to the manufacturer what a general supply of light or a general supply of post-office facilities is to the householder: it is all part of the steady advance of civilization that leads the man of to-day to go to the tailor, the shoemaker, the baker, the butcher, instead of manufacturing his own mocassins and lassoing a buffalo for dinner. And in case any of you may be inclined to think that we have gone far enough in these newfangled notions, and we are all perhaps prone to fall into this mistake as we grow older, let me remind you that while each age regards with justifiable pride the superiority of its ways to those of its ancestors, that very age will appear but semicivilized to its great-grandchildren. Let us accept as an undoubted fact that a general distribution of power would enable the wants of civilized life to be better satisfied, and therefore would greatly benefit industry.

There are four methods of transmitting power to a distance: (1) by a moving rope ; (2) by air compressed or rarefied at one end of a pipe operating an air motor at the other end; (3) by water forced through a pipe working a water motor; (4) by electricity.

We have an example of the transmission of power through a short distance by an endless belt or rope in the machine geared together by belts on this platform, and in the rotatory hairbrushes at Mr. Hatt's establishment in the Corridor, Bath. At Schaffhausen, and elsewhere in Switzerland, the principle is employed on a large scale. Spain and other countries use it in connection with their mining operations; and lastly, wire ropes replace horses on many hilly tramways. Do not look, however, for the wire rope of the Bath cable tramways, for cable is only to be found painted on the sides of the cars.

For short distances of a mile or so there is no system of transmitting power in a straight line along the open country so cheap to erect, and so economical of power as a rapidly-moving endless rope; but the other systems give much greater facilities for distributing the power along the line of route, are much less noisy, and far surpass wire rope transmission in economy when the rope must move somewhat slowly, as in tramway traction, or when the distance is considerable over which the power is transmitted, or when the line of route has many bends.

In the same sense that an ordinary house-bell may be considered as a crude example of the transmission of power by a moving rope, the pneumatic bell at the other end of the hall which I now ring by sending a puff of air through the tube is a crude example of the transmission of power by compressed air. [Pneumatic bell rung.] Compressed air is employed to work from a distance the boring-machines used in tunnelling. The continuous vacuum-brakes used on many of the railways are also probably familiar to you, and the pneumatic system of transmitting power to workshops is shortly to be tried on a fairly large scale at Birmingham.

But distribution of power by water pressure is the plan that has hitherto found most favour in this country. That little water motor at the other end of the platform rapidly revolves when I work this garden syringe, and serves as a puny illustration of the transmission of water pressure. [Experiment shown.] Pressure water has been employed for years on a large scale at Hull for distributing power; also by Mr.Tweddle, as a means of communicating a very large amount of power through a flexible tube to tools that have to be moved about; but the grandest illustration of this principle is the vast system of high-pressure mains that have been laid throughout London, as you will see from the photograph that I now project on the screen of the map kindly lent me by Mr.Ellington.

The economy of this system is so marked and the success that has attended its use is so great that, did I not feel sure that electricity offers a grander system still, it would be with fear and trembling that I should approach the subject of this evening, the "Electric Transmission of Power." Punch drew six years ago the giant Steam and the giant Coal looking aghast at the suckling babe Electricity in its cradle. That baby is a strong boy now; let the giant Water look to its laurels ere that boy becomes a man. For the electric transmission of power even now bids fair to surpass all other methods in (1) economy in consumption of fuel; (2) more perfect control over each individual machine, for see how easily I can start this electric motor, and how easily I can vary its speed [experiment shown]; (3) ability to bring the tool to the work instead of the work to the tool - this rapidly-rotating polishing-brush, with its thin flexible wires conveying the power, I can handle as easily as if it were a simple nail-brush; (4) in greater cleanliness, no small benefit in this dirty, smoky age; (5) and lastly, there is still one more advantage possessed by this electric method of transmitting power that no other method can lay claim to - the power which during the day-time may be mainly used for driving machinery can, in the easiest possible way, be used during the night for giving light. I turn this handle one way, and the electric current coming by one of these wires and returning by the other works this electromotor; now I turn the handle the other way, and the current which comes and returns by the same wires as before keeps this electric lamp glowing. [Experiment shown.]

What-will-he-grow-to_1881.jpg

It might be said that the transmission of power by coal-gas, which I have excluded from my list, fulfils this condition, but so also does the transmission of power by a loaded coal-waggon. In both these cases, however, it is fuel itself that is transmitted, and not the power obtained by burning the fuel at a distant place.

Let us study this electric transmission a little in detail. I pull this handle, and the bell at the other end of the room rings; but in this case there is no visible motion of anything between the handle and the bell. [Electric bell rung by an electric current produced by pulling the handle of a very small magneto-electric machine.] Whether I ring the bell by pulling a wire, or by sending an air puff, or by generating an electric current by the exertion of my hand, the work necessary for ringing the bell is done by my hand exactly as if I took up a hand-bell and rang it. In each of the three cases I put in the power at one end of the arrangement, and it produces its effect at the other. In the electric transmission how does this power travel? Well, we do not know. It may go through the wires, or through the space outside them. But although we are really quite in the dark as to the mechanism by means of which the electric power is transmitted, one thing we do know from experience, and that is this: given any arrangement of familiar electrical combinations, then we can foretell the result.

Our knowledge of electrical action in this respect resembles our knowledge of gravitation action. The only thing quite certain about the reason why a body falls to the ground is that we do not know it; and yet astronomical phenomena can be predicted with marvellous accuracy. I mention the analogy, since some people fancy because the answer to that oft-repeated question, "What is electricity?" not only cannot be given exactly, but can only be guessed at in the haziest way, even by the most able, that therefore all electric action is haphazard. As well might the determinations of a ship's latitude at sea be regarded as a mere game of chance because we have not even a mental picture of the ropes that pull the earth and sun together.

This power of producing an action at a distance of many yards, or it may be many miles, by the aid of electricity without the visible motion of any substance in the intervening space is by no means new. It is the essence of the electric telegraph; and electric transmission of power was employed by Gauss and Weber when they sent the first electric message. I am transmitting power electrically whether I now work this small model needle telegraph instrument, or whether I turn this handle and set in motion that little electric fan. [Experiment shown.]

But until about ten years ago the facility that electricity gave for producing signals almost instantaneously at a great distance was the main thing thought of. The electric power consumed for sending the telegraph messages was so small, the amount of power lost en route comparatively so valueless, that the telegraph engineer had no need to trouble himself with those considerations that govern us to-day when we are transmitting power large enough to work a factory or an electric tramway. Although there are as many as 22,560 galvanic cells at the Central Telegraph Office, London, which cost some thousands annually to keep in order, what is that compared with the salaries of all the 3089 superintendents, assistants, telegraph-clerks, messengers, and the maintenance of the 1150 telegraph lines that start from the Central Office?

In all the last three systems in my list some form of power, such as flowing water, or the potential energy stored up in coal, wood, zinc, or other fuel, has initially to be utilized. This power is given to some form of air, water, or electric pump, which transfers the air power to the air, water, or electricity, by which it is conveyed to the other end of the system. There it is re-converted into useful mechanical power by means of an air, water, or electric motor.

You will observe that I class together air, water, and electricity; by that I do not mean to imply that electricity is a fluid, although in many respects it acts like a fluid - like a fluid of very little mass, however; or, odd as it may seem, like a fluid moving extremely slowly, for electricity goes round sharp corners with perfect ease, and without any of the phenomena of momentum possessed by rushing water. But what I particularly wish to impress on you by classing air, water, and electricity together is that electricity is not, as some people seem to think, a something that can be burnt or in some way used up and so work got out of it. Electricity is no more a source of power than a bell-wire is, electricity is a marvellously convenient agent for conveying a push or a pull to a great distance, but it is not by the using up of the electricity that electric lights burn or that electromotors revolve. It is by the electricity losing pressure, exactly as water loses head when turning the miller's wheel as it flows down hill, that work is done electrically.

This model shows, in a rough, symbolical way, what takes place in the transmission of power whether by air, water, or electricity. [Model shown.] The working stuff, whichever of the three it may be, is first raised in pressure and endowed with energy, symbolized by this ball being raised up in the model: it then, gradually loses pressure as it proceeds along the tube or wire which conveys it to the other end of the system, the loss of pressure being accompanied by an increase of speed or by its giving up power to the tube or wire and heating it. This is shown in the model by the ball gradually falling in its coarse. At the other end there is a great drop of pressure corresponding with a great transference of power from the working stuff to the motor, and finally it comes back along the return pipe or wire, losing, as it returns, all that remains of the pressure given to it initially by the pump. The ball has, in fact, come back to its original level.

The problem of economically transmitting power by air, water, or electricity is the problem of causing one or other of these working stuffs - air, water, or electricity - to economically perform the cycle I have described.

In each of the four stages of the process - (1) transference of power to the working substance at the pump ; (2) conveyance of power to the distant place; (3) transference of power from the working substance to the motor at the distant place: (4) bringing back the working substance - there is a loss of power, and the efficiency of the arrangement depends on the amount of these four losses. The losses may be shortly called (1) loss at the pump; (2 and 4) loss on the road; (3) loss at the motor.

Until 1870 the pump most generally employed for pumping up electricity and giving it pressure was the galvanic battery - scientifically an extremely efficient converter of the energy in fuel into electric energy, only unfortunately the only fuel a battery will burn is so expensive. A very perfect fire place, in which there was very complete combustion, and very little loss of heat, but which had the misfortune that it would only burn the very best wax candles, would be analogous with a battery. The impossibility of using zinc as fuel to commercially work electromotors has been known for the last half-century, and the matter was very clearly put in an extremely interesting paper "On Electro-magnetism as a Motive Power," read in 1857 by Mr. Hunt before the Institution of Civil Engineers, a copy of which has been kindly lent me by Dr. Silvanus Thompson. Prof. William Thomson (Glasgow) - I quote from the discussion on the paper - put the matter very pithily by showing that, even if it were possible to construct a theoretically perfect electromotor, the best that could be hoped for, if it worked with a Daniell's battery, would be the production of a one horse-power by the combustion of 2 pounds of zinc per hour, whereas with a good actual steam-engine of even thirty years ago, one horse-power could be produced by the combustion of exactly the same weight of the much cheaper fuel coal. This argument against the commercial employment of zinc to produce electric currents is irresistible, unless - and this is a very important consideration, which is only beginning to receive the attention it deserves - unless, I say, the compound of zinc formed by the action of the battery can be reduced again to metallic zinc by a comparatively inexpensive process, and the zinc used over and over again in the battery. If the compound of zinc obtained from the battery be regarded as a waste product, then it would be much too expensive to work even theoretically perfect electromotors, if they were existent, by consuming zinc. Suppose, however, a process be devised by means of which burnt zinc can be unburnt with an expenditure comparable with the burning of the same weight of coal, then it might be that, although coal would still form the basis of our supply of energy, the consumption of zinc batteries might be an important intermediary in transforming the energy of coal, economically, into mechanical energy.

While, then, some experimenters are aiming at possibly increasing the working power of a ton of coal to eight times its present value by earnestly seeking for a method of converting the energy it contains directly into electric energy without the intervention of a wasteful heat engine, it should not be forgotten that in the cheap unburning of oxidized metal may lie another solution.

The solution of this latter problem is quite consistent with the principles of the conservation and dissipation of energy, since the heat required to theoretically unburn 1 pound of zinc is only one-seventh of that given out by the burning of 1 pound of coal. Further, it involves no commercial absurdity like that found in the calculations given in the prospectuses of many primary battery companies, which are based on zinc oxide, a material used in the manufacture of paint, maintaining its present price even if thousands of tons were produced. Unless all those who use primary batteries on this expectation intend to have the painters doing up their houses all the year round, they will find themselves possessed of the stock-in-trade of an oil and colourman on a scale only justified by a roaring business in paint.

Now about waste No. 3, the waste of power at the motor. That also is gone into fully in the discussion on Mr. Hunt's paper, and Mr. Robert Stephenson concluded that discussion by remarking "that there could be no doubt, from what had been said, that the application of voltaic electricity in what ever shape it might be developed was entirely out of the question commercially speaking... The power exhibited by electro-magnets extended through so small a space as to be practically useless. A powerful electro-magnet might be compared for the sake of illustration to a steam-engine with an enormous piston, but with an exceedingly short stroke. Such an arrangement was well known to be very undesirable."

And this objection made with perfect justice against the electromotors of thirty years ago might also have been made to all the machines then existing for the mechanical production of electric currents. I have two coils of wire at the two sides of the platform joined together with two wires. I move this magnet backwards and forwards in front of this coil, and you observe the magnet suspended near the coil begins to swing in time with my hand. [Experiment shown.] Here you have in its most rudimentary form the conversion of mechanical power into electric power, and the re-conversion of electric power into mechanical power; but the apparatus at both ends has the defects pointed out by Mr.Hunt and all the speakers in the discussion on his paper - the effect diminishes very rapidly as the distance separating the coil from the moving magnet increases.

As long as electromotors as well as the machines for the production of electric currents had this defect, the electric transmission of power was like carrying coals to Newcastle in a leaky waggon. You would pay at least 16s. a ton for your coals in Bath, lose most of them on the way, and sell any small portion that had not tumbled out of the waggon for, say, 2s. a ton at Newcastle - a commercial speculation not to be recommended.

View attachment 1

A very great improvement in electromotors was made by Pacinotti in 1860, but although his new form of electromotor was described in 1864 it attracted but little attention, probably because any form of electromotor, no matter how perfect, was commercially almost useless until some much more economical method of producing electric currents had been devised than the consumption of zinc and acids. Pacinotti's invention removed from motors that great defect that had been so fully emphasized by the various speakers at the reading of Mr.Hunt's paper in 1857. When describing his motor in the Nuovo Cimento in 1864, he pointed out that his principle was reversible, and that it might be used in a mechanical current generator. This idea was utilized by Gramme in 1870, who constructed the well-known Gramme dynamo for converting mechanical into electric power - a machine far more efficient than even Pacinotti had contemplated - and gave the whole subject of electrical engineering a vigorous forward impulse. Every subsequent maker of direct-current dynamos, or motors, has followed Gramme's example in utilizing the principle devised by Pacinotti, which was as follows. In all the early forms of dynamos or motors there were a number of magnets and a number of coils of wire, the magnets moving relatively to the coils, or the coils relatively to the magnets, as you see in this rather old specimen of alternate-current dynamo. To produce magnetism by a large number of little magnets is not economical, and Pacinotti's device consisted in arranging a number of coils round a ring in the way shown in the large wooden model [model shown], so that they could all be acted on by one large magnet. Instead of frittering away his magnetism, Pacinotti showed how it could be concentrated, and thus he led the way to dynamos and motors becoming commercial machines.

Pacinotti's science, engineered by Gramme, not only made electric lighting commercially possible, but led to electricity being used as a valuable motive power. It was in their work that the electric transmission of power in its modern sense sprang into existence.

Quite recently an improvement in the same direction has been introduced into alternate-current dynamos by Mr.W.N.Mordey, for he has replaced the many magnets of the ordinary alternate-current dynamos with one large magnet, and so with his alternator weighing 41 hundredweight, which you see in this hall, he has succeeded in obtaining at a speed of 650 revolutions per minute an output of 53.6 horse-power with a high efficiency.

It may be convenient to mention at this stage the very valuable work that has been done by the Drs.Hopkinson, Mr.Crompton, Mr.Kapp, and others, in the improving of dynamos and motors by applying scientific principles in the construction of these machines. Were I lecturing on dynamos and motors instead of on the electric transmission of power, I would explain to you how, by putting more iron into the rotating armature, as it is called, and less wire on it, by shortening the stationary magnet, and generally by concentrating the magnetic action, these constructors have raised the commercial efficiency of these machines to actually as high as between 93 and 94 per cent.; further, how, by recognizing the force of the general principles laid down by Prof. Perry and myself, as to the difference that should exist in the construction of a motor and a dynamo, Messrs.Immisch have succeeded in constructing strong, durable electromotors weighing not more than 62 pounds per effective horse-power developed.

The subject is so entrancing to me, the results commercially so important, that I am strongly templed to branch off, but the inexorable clock warns me that I must concentrate my remarks as they have concentrated the magnetic action.

87 1/2 per cent. of the power put into an Edison-Hopkinson dynamo has actually been given out by the motor spindle when 50 horse power was being transmitted. How does this compare with the combined efficiencies of an air-pump and an air-motor, or of a water-pump and a water-motor? I understand that in either of these cases 60 per cent, is considered a very satisfactory result. As far, then, as the terminal losses are concerned, electric transmission of power is certainly superior to air or water transmission.

The next point to consider is the loss of power on the road between the dynamo at the one end and the motor at the other. This problem was perhaps seriously attacked for the first time in the discussion of a paper read by Messrs.Higgs and Brittle at the Institution of Civil Engineers in 1878, and that problem was considered in some detail theoretically and experimentally at the lecture I gave during the meeting of the British Association in Sheffield in the following year. It was then shown that, since the power developed by the generator and motor depended on the product of the current into the electric pressure, while the loss when power was transmitted through a given wire depended on the square of the current and was independent of the electric pressure, the economical transmission of power by electricity on a large scale depended on the use of a very large electric pressure and a small current, just as the economic transmission of much power by water depended on the use of a very large water pressure and a small flow of water. At that time it was not thought possible to construct a small dynamo to develop a very large electric pressure, or potential difference as it is technically called, and therefore it was proposed to join up many dynamos in series at the one end and many lamps or electromotors in series at the other, and to transmit the power by a very small current, which passed through all the dynamos and all the lamps in succession, one after the other.

You have an example to-night of the realization of this principle in the fifteen arc lamps that are all in series outside this Drill Hall, and are worked with a small current of only 6.8 amperes, as indicated in the wall diagram; and a further example in the thirty arc lamps at the Bath Flower Show, which are also all worked in series with the small current passing through them; but it is known now how to produce a large potential difference with a single dynamo, so that a single Thomson-Houston dynamo belonging to Messrs.Laing, Wharton, and Down supplies the current for each of the two circuits.

The electric pressure, or potential difference, between the terminals of any arc lamp is not high, but it is between the main wires near the dynamo as well as between these wires and the ground. How far does this lead to the risk of sparks or unpleasant shocks? That is a point that can be looked at in a variety of ways. First, there is the American view of the matter, which consists in pointing out to people exactly what the danger is, if there be any, and training them to look out for themselves: let ordinary railway trains, say the Americans, run through the streets, and let horses learn to respect the warning bell. Next, there is the semi-paternal English system, which cripples all attempts at street mechanical locomotion, because we are conservative in our use of horses, and horses are conservative in their way of looking at horseless tramcars. Lastly, there is the foreign paternal system, which, carried to its limit, would prohibit the eating of dinners because some people have at some time choked themselves, and would render going to bed a penal offence because it is in bed that most people have died.

We laugh a good deal at the rough-and-ready manner adopted on the other side of the Atlantic. The Americans, no doubt, are very ignorant of the difficulties that properly-minded people would meet with, but is a blissful ignorance where it is folly to be wise. Every English electrician who has travelled in America comes back fully impressed with their enterprise and their happy-go-lucky success. They have twenty-two electric tramways, carrying some 4,000,000 passengers annually, to our four electric tramways at Portrush, Blackpool, Brighton, and Bessbrook. Why, New York city alone, Mr. Rechenzaun tells me, possesses 300 miles of ordinary tramway track, and Philadelphia 430 miles, so there is more tramway line in these two cities than in the whole of the United Kingdom put together. Now there would be no difficulty in proving, to anyone unfamiliar with railway travelling, that to go at 50 miles an hour round a curve with only a bit of iron between him and eternity would be far too risky to be even contemplated. And yet we do go in express trains, and even 80 miles an hour is beginning to be considered not to put too great a demand on the funds of life insurance companies. The American plan of basing a conclusion on experience rather than on anticipations is not a bad one; and if we follow that plan, then, taking into account that there are 75,000 arc lights alight every night on the Thomson-Houston high-potential circuits throughout the world, and the comparatively small number of people that have suffered in consequence (not a single person, I am assured, outside the companies' staffs) we are compelled to conclude that high potential now is what 30 miles an hour was half a century ago - uncanny rather than dangerous.

But it is possible to use a very large potential difference between the main wires by means of which the electric power is economically conveyed a considerable distance, and transformed into a very small potential difference in the houses where it is utilized. An electric transformer is equivalent to a lever, or wheel and axle, or any other of the so-called mechanical powers. You know that a large weight moving through a small distance can raise a small weight through a large distance; there is no gain in the amount of work, but only a transformation of the way in which the work is done. A large weight moving through a small distance is analogous with a high potential difference and a small current, while a small weight moving through a large distance is analogous with a small potential difference, and a large current, and an electric transformer is for the purpose of effecting the transformation with as little loss as possible, so that what is lost in potential difference may, as far as possible, be all gained in current.

Electrical transformation may be effected by (1) alternate current transformers, (2) motor-dynamos, (3) accumulators, or secondary batteries, (4) direct-current transformers. Of these apparatus, the eldest by far is the alternate-current transformer, as it is merely the development of the classical apparatus invented by Faraday in 1831, and familiar to many of you as the Ruhmkorff, or induction-coil. A combination of a motor and dynamo was suggested by Gramme in 1874. Accumulators are the outcome of Plante's work, while direct-current transformers are quite modern, and not yet out of the experimental stage.

After studying the literature on this subject, it appears, as far as I have been able to judge, that the first definite proposal to use a high potential difference in the street mains, and transform down to a low potential difference in the houses, was made in the lecture given by me at the meeting of the British Association in Sheffield in 1879, on which occasion I explained and showed in action the motor-dynamo principle suggested by Prof. Perry and myself. The apparatus on the platform is not unlike that shown on the former occasion: an Immisch motor working at 500 volts, and with a current of 6.8 amperes, is geared direct to a Victoria Brush dynamo giving five times that current, and we will now use this larger current to produce an electric fire. [Experiment shown.] Messrs.Paris and Scott have combined the motor and dynamo into one machine, which they have kindly lent me, and by means of which we are now transforming about 700 volts and 6.8 amperes into 100 volts and about 40 amperes used to light that group of sunbeam incandescent lamps or work these motors. [Experiment shown.]

Lastly, here is a working illustration of the double transformation proposed by MM. Deprez and Carpentier in 1881, by means of which - while the potential difference between the mains may be 2000 or 10,000 volts, if you like - not merely is the potential difference in the house so low that you could hardly feel anything if you touched the wires, but, in addition, there is the same security against shocks in the dynamo-room. This alternate-current machine is producing about 50 volts, which is transformed up to 2000 volts by means of this transformer. At the other end of the platform, by means of a similar transformer, the 2000 volts is transformed down again to 50 volts, employed to light that cluster of low-voltage incandescent lamps. [Experiment shown.] For the use of this apparatus I am indebted to the kindness of the Anglo-American Brush Company.

In this experiment there is, as a matter of fact, still more transformation than that I have yet mentioned, because, whereas in actual practice the alternate-current dynamo, as well as the small dynamo used to produce the current for magnetizing the electromagnets in the alternate-current dynamo, would be worked by steam, gas, or water engine, I am working them both by electromotors, since a steam-engine or a water-wheel would be an unsuitable occupant of the Drill Hall. Practically, then, a steam-engine on the land belonging to the Midland Railway Company, on the other side of the Lower Bristol Road, is driving a Thomson-Houston dynamo; this is sending a small current working these high-voltage constant-current Immisch motors. The motors being geared with low-voltage dynamos the potential difference is transformed down, the first alternate-current transformer transforms it up again, and the second alternate-current transformer transforms it down again, so that there are in fact three transformations taking place in this experiment on the platform before you. For the benefit of the electricians present, I may mention that the two motors are running in series, and that their speed is kept constant by means of a centrifugal governor which automatically varies the number of the convolutions of the field magnet that are being utilized at any moment. In fact, since the dynamo maintains the current constant that is passing through each motor, the function of the governor may be regarded as that of proportioning the potential difference maintained at the terminals of either motor to the load on the motor at any moment.

A vast district in London, extending from Regent's Park on the north to the Thames on the south, from the Law Courts on the east to Hyde Park on the west, has over 20,000 incandescent lamps scattered over it all worked from the Grosvenor Gallery in Bond Street by means of alternate-current transformers which convert the 2000 volts maintained between the street mains into 100 volts in the houses, and this London Electric Supply Company have arranged for a vast extension of this system to be worked from Deptford.

In America, alternate-current transformers are, due to the remarkable enterprise of Mr. Westinghouse, used to light 120,000 incandescent lamps in sixty-eight towns. In fact the electric lighting of a whole town from a central station begins to excite less astonishment than the electric lighting of a single house did ten years ago.

The efficiency of a well-made alternate-current transformer is very high, being no less than 96.2 per cent. when the transformer is doing its full work, and 89.5 per cent. when it is doing one-quarter of its full work, according to the experiments made by our students. It certainly does seem most remarkable, and it reflects the highest praise on the constructors of electrical machinery, that motive power can be converted into electrical power, electrical power at low pressure into electrical power at high pressure, or electrical power at high pressure into electrical power at low pressure, or, lastly, electrical power into motive power, in each case with an efficiency of not less than 94 per cent.

As a further illustration of the commercial importance of this electric transformation I will show you some experiments on electric welding, one of the latest developments in electrical engineering. To weld a bar of iron one square inch in section requires a gigantic current of some 13,000 amperes. To convey this current even a few yards would be attended with a great waste of power; consequently, while an enormous current is passed through the iron to be welded, only a comparatively small current is transmitted along the circuit from the dynamo to the welding apparatus. Mr. Fish, the representative of Prof. Elihu Thomson, of America, to whom this apparatus is due, will be so kind as to first show us the welding together of two bars of square tool steel, the edge of each bar being 3/4 of an inch, and the operation is, as you see, entirely completed in some fifteen seconds. For this experiment an alternate current of 20 amperes will be produced by the dynamo at the other side of the Lower Bristol Road, and this current will be converted by the transformer on the platform into one of 9000 amperes, large enough for 12,000 of these incandescent lamps if they were placed in parallel and the current divided among them. He will next try welding some thicker bars, and lastly he proposes welding together two pieces of aluminium which it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to weld in any other way. The bars, as you see, are in each case pressed together end on, and, in consequence of the electric resistance of the very small gap between the bars being much higher than that of the bars themselves, the current makes the ends of the bars plastic long before it even warms the whole bar, so that I can, as you see, hold the bar at a distance of three or four inches from where the weld has been made without experiencing any marked sense of warmth. The heat is, in fact, applied exactly where we require it, the temperature can be adjusted with the greatest nicety so as not to burn the steel, and the softening of the bar is effected throughout its entire cross-section. Hence a very good weld indeed can be made by end pressure. We have to think Mr. Fish, not merely for showing us these most interesting experiments on electric welding, but for supplying the electric power for many of the experiments I have been showing you, and for the electric lighting of the Drill Hall.

To Mr. Snell, the representative of Mr.Immisch, our best thanks are due for his having devoted several days in arranging the two high-voltage, constant-current motors, to drive the dynamo with that constancy of speed which you observe. This ingenious telpher model, to which I shall refer presently, is the handy work of Mr.Bourne, and considering that it has had to be hastily taken to pieces, and hastily put together again, it is surprising that it works as well as it does. An ordinary watch is a very trustworthy, steady-going machine, but if one had to take it to pieces hastily, and as hastily to put it together again one might expect it to lose. Indeed, if you or I had to do it we should not be surprised if it did not go at all, and so be only right twice every twenty-four hours.

For the arrangements of the models and the smaller experiments, as well as for the admirable execution of many of the diagrams, our best thanks are due to Mr. Raine.

Did time allow I should like to describe to you to what perfection the system of economical distribution with accumulator originally proposed by Sir William Thomson in 1881 and shown in its very simplest form in the wall diagram, has been brought by Mr. King, the engineer to the Electrical Power Storage Company; how the cells when they are fully charged are automatically disconnected from the charging circuit, and electrically connected with the discharging circuit; how the electric pressure on the discharging or house mains is automatically kept constant, so that the brightness of the lamps is unaffected by the number turned on; and how cells that are too energetic have their ardour automatically handicapped, and not allowed to give more current than is being supplied by the less active ones.

During the last few months fierce has been the battle raging among the electricians, the war-cry being "alternate-current transformers versus accumulators," while the lookers-on, with the better view of the contest that they are proverbially said to possess have decided that the battle is a drawn one. Neither system the better under all circumstances: if the district to be lighted is a very scattered one, use alternate-current transformers by all means; but if the houses to be lighted are clustered together a distance from the supply of power, then the storing property possessed by accumulators, which enables the supply of electric power to far exceed the capacity of the dynamos and engines the busiest part of the twenty-four hours, will win the battle of accumulators. Any direct-current system of distribution such is furnished by accumulators has also the very great advantage that it lends itself to the use of the very efficient electromotor which I have been using this evening. Alternate-current motors do exist, but they are still in the experimental stage, and are not yet articles of commerce.

Secondary batteries have caused much heart-burning, for the users, from the apparent fickleness of their complex chemical action, yet but imperfectly understood. But we have at length been taught what is good and what is bad treatment for them: and after years of brave persevering application on the part of the Electrical Power Storage Company, that forlorn hope the secondary battery has become one of the most useful tools of the electrical engineers; and secondary cells, some of which, than to the kindness of that Company, I am using here tonight supply power for lamps and motors, may now be trusted have a vigorous long life. That Company, I learn, undertake henceforth to keep their cells in order, when used for central station work, for 12 1/2 per cent. per annum, and I understand that they have such confidence in them that they anticipate making no little money by incurring this insurance office responsibility. It is not, then, surprising that the Chelsea Supply Company have decided to use secondary batteries on a large scale for the economical distribution of light and power in the district.

Oliver Goldsmith said, more than a hundred years ago, in his "Life of Richard Nash, Esquire": "People of fashion at Bath... when so disposed, attend lectures on the arts and science which are frequently taught in a pretty superficial manner, so as not to tease the understanding, while they afford the imagination some amusement." I want not to be superficial, yet must not tease your understanding, and so we will not lose our selves in technical details. If, however, my remarks have led you to appreciate the vast economical importance of using very large electric pressures, and to grasp that, by substituting 2000 volts for 50 volts, when transmitting a certain amount of electric power, the current can be reduced to the one-fortieth part, and the waste of power, when transmitted along a given length of a given wire to the one fortieth of the one-fortieth - that is, to the one sixteenth-hundredth part - your imagination will have been kindled as well as amused.

With a loss on the road of only 11 per cent., M.Deprez has, by using 6000 volts, transmitted 52 horse-power over a distance of about 37 miles through a copper wire only one-fifth of an inch in diameter. A piece of the actual conductor he employed I hold in my hand: the copper wire is coated with an insulated material, and then with a leaden tubing, so that the outside may be touched with perfect impunity, in spite of the high potential difference employed. M. Deprez's dynamo and motor were not nearly as efficient as he could make them now, so that his terminal losses were unnecessarily great, and the efficiency of the whole arrangement, wonderful as it was, was not so startling as it would otherwise have been. I have told you that the loss in dynamo and motor has actually been reduced to only 12 1/2 per cent.; so that, if a dynamo and motor of this efficiency had been used by M. Deprez, the total loss in the whole transmission over 37 miles would have been under 25 per cent. Indeed, by using only 1250 volts, Mr. Brown has succeeded in transmitting 50 horse-power supplied by falling water at Kriegstetten to Solothun, in Switzerland, five miles away, with an entire loss in the dynamo, motor, and the five miles of going and returning wire of only 25 per cent.; so that three-quarters of the total power supplied by the water at Kriegstetten was actually delivered to machinery at Solothun, five miles away.

In less than twenty years, then, from Gramme's practical realization of Pacinotti's invention, we have power transmitted over considerable distances by electricity with only a total loss of 25 per cent., whereas the combined loss in an air-pump and air-motor or in a water-pump and water-motor is 40 per cent., irrespective of the additional loss by friction or leakage that occurs en route. We cannot help feeling that we are rapidly arriving at a new era, and that it will not merely be for the inauguration of the quick transmission of our bodies by steam, or the quick transmission of our thought by telegraph, but for the economical transmission of power by electricity, that the Victorian age will be remembered.

I showed you a little while ago an electric fire. Was that a mere toy, or had it any commercial importance? To burn coal, to work dynamos, and to use the electric current to light your houses and your streets is clean and commercial; to use the current to warm your rooms clean but wasteful, on account of the inefficiency of the steam-engine. But when the dynamos are turned by water power which would otherwise be wasted, the electric current may be economically used, not merely to give light, but also to give heat. And when the electric transmission of power becomes still more perfect than at present, even to burn coal at the pit's mouth where it is worth a shilling a ton may, in spite of the efficiency of the steam-engine being only one-tenth, be the most economical way of warming distant towns where coal would cost 20s. a ton. Think what that would mean! - no smoke, no dust, a reform effected commercially which the laws of the land on smoke prevention are powerless to bring about, a reform effected without the intervention of the State, and therefore dear to the hearts of Englishmen.

I am aware that this idea of burning coal at the pit's mouth and electrically transmitting its power has quite recently been stated to be commercially impracticable. But is that quite so certain? - for in 1878 it was stated that, although telephones might do very well for America, they certainly would never be introduced into Great Britain, as we had plenty of boys who were willing to act as messengers for a few shillings a week. The phonograph was also declared to be worked by a ventriloquist, and electric lighting on a large scale was proved to be too expensive a luxury to be ever carried out. Putting a Conservative drag on the wheels is a very good precaution to take when going down hill, but it is out of place in the up-hill work of progress.

To-day the electric current is used for countless purposes. Not only is it used to weld, but by putting the electric arc inside a closed crucible, smelting can be effected with a rapidity and ease quite unobtainable with the ordinary method of putting the fire outside the crucible. If one had pointed out a few years ago that it was as depressing scientifically to put a fire outside a crucible when you wanted to warm the inside, as Joey Ladle, the cellarman, found it depressing mentally "to take in the wine through the pores of the skin, instead of by the conwivial channel of the throttle," who would have believed that in 1888, a 500 horse-power dynamo would be actually employed to produce an electric arc inside a closed crucible in the manufacture of aluminium bronze.

But, of all the many commercial uses to which the electric current may be put, probably, after the electric light, electric traction has most public interest. The English are a commercial people, but they are also a humane people; and when, as in this case, their pockets and their feelings are alike touched, surely they will be Radicals in welcoming electric traction, whatever may be their political sentiments on other burning topics of the day. It is not a nice thing to feel that you are helping to reduce the life of a pair of poor tramway horses to three or four years: it would be a very nice thing to be carried in a tramcar for even a less fare than at present. Now, while it costs 6d. or 7d. to run a car one mile with horses, it only costs 3d. or 4d. to propel it electrically. Indeed, from the very minute details that have recently been published of the four months' expenses of electrically propelling thirty cars at 7 1/2 miles an hour along a 12-miles tramway line in Richmond, Virginia, it would appear that the total cost - inclusive of coal, oil, water, engineers, firemen, electricians, mechanicians, dynamo and motor repairers, inspectors, linemen, cleaners, lighting, depreciation on engine, boiler, cars, dynamos, and line-work - has been only 1 1/4d. per car per mile. This is indeed a low price; let us hope that it is true. The tramway is, no doubt, particularly favourable for propelling cars on the parallel system (that is, the system in which the current produced by the dynamo is the sum of the currents going through all the motors on the cars) without a great waste of power being produced by a very large current having to be sent a very long distance, because the tramway track is very curved, and the dynamo is placed at the centre of the curve, with feeding-wires to convey the current from the dynamo to all parts of the track. But even in the case of a straight tramway line with a dynamo only at one end, it is quite possible to obtain the same high economy in working by employing a large potential difference and by sending a small current through all the trains in series, instead of running the trains in parallel, as is done on the Portrush, Blackpool, Brighton, and Bessbrook tramways.

This series system of propelling electric trains was oddly enough entirely ignored in all the discussions that have taken place this year at the Institution of Civil Engineers, and at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, regarding the relative cost of working tramways by horses, by a moving rope, and by electricity; and yet this series system is actually at work in America, as you will see from an instantaneous photograph which I will now project on the screen, of a series electric tramway in Denver, Colorado; and a series electric tramway 12 miles long, on which forty cars are to be run, is in course of construction in Columbus, Ohio. The first track on which electric trams were run in series was the experimental telpher line, erected in Glynde in 1883 under the superintendence of the late Prof. Fleeming Jenkin, Prof. Perry, and myself, for the automatic electric transport of goods. A photograph of this actual line is now projected on the screen. The large wall diagram shows symbolically, in the crudest form, our plan of series working: the current follows a zigzag path through the contact pieces, and when a train enters any section the contact piece is automatically removed, and the current now passes through the motor on that train, instead of through the contact piece. The Series Electrical Traction Syndicate, whom we have to thank for the model series tramway on which the two cars are now running, are now developing our idea, but it has received its greater development in the States, where the Americans are employing it, instead of spending time proving, a priori, that the automatic contact arrangements could never work. Mental inertia, like mechanical inertia, may be defined in two ways. Inertia is the resistance to motion - that is the English definition: but inertia is also the resistance to stopping - that is the American definition.

continues...

In addition to the small waste of power, and consequent diminished cost of constructing the conductors that lead the current into and out of the passing trains, the series system has another very marked advantage. Some years ago we pointed out that when an electric train was running down hill, or when it was desired to stop the train, there was no necessity to apply a brake and waste the energy of the moving train in friction, because the electric motor could by turning a handle be converted into a dynamo, and the train could be slowed or stopped by its energy being given up to all the other trains running on the same railway, so that the trains going down hill helped the trains going up hill, the stopping trains helped the starting trains. At that time we suggested detailed methods for carrying out this economical mutual aid arrangement whether the trains were running on the parallel or on the series system. But there is this difference, that, whereas on the parallel system it is only when a train is running fairly fast that it can help other trains, the series system has the advantage that, when a motor is temporarily converted into a dynamo by the reversal of the connections of its stationary magnet, the slowing train can help all the other trains even to the very last rotation of its wheels. Brakes that save the power instead of wasting it are of purely English extraction, but their conception has recently come across the Atlantic with such a strong Yankee accent that it might pass for having been born and bred in the States.

Economy is one feature that gives electric traction the right to claim your attention; safety is another. This model telpher line worked on "the post head contact" system is so arranged that no two trains ever run into one another, for, in addition to each of the three trains being provided with an automatic governor which cuts off electric power from a train when that train is going too fast, the line is divided into five sections connected together electrically in such a way that as long as a train is on any section, A, no power is provided to the section B behind, so that if a train comes into section B, it cannot move on as long as the train in front is on section A. [Three trains shown running on a model telpher line with four automatic locks.] Whenever a train - it may be even a runaway electric locomotive - enters a blocked section, it finds all motive power withdrawn from it quite independently of the action of signalmen, guard, or engine driver, even if either of the latter two men accompanied the train, which they do not in the case of telpherage: no fog, nor colour-blindness, nor different codes of signals on different lines, nor mistakes arising from the exhausted nervous condition of overworked signalmen, can with our system produce a collision. Human fallibility, in fact, is eliminated. While the ordinary system of blocking means merely giving an order to stop - and whether this is understood or intelligently carried out is only settled by the happening or non-happening of a subsequent collision - our automatic block acts as if the steam were automatically cut off; nay, it does more than this: it acts as if the fires were put out in an ordinary locomotive and all the coal taken away, since it is quite out of the power of the engine-driver to re-start the electric train until the one in front is at a safe distance ahead.

The photograph now seen on the screen shows the general appearance of the Glynde telpher line, which has recently been much extended in length by its owners, the Sussex Portland Cement Company; and a telpher line with automatic blocking on the broad principles I have described is about to be constructed between the East Pool tin-mine in Cornwall and the stamps. There will be four trains running, each consisting of thirty-three skeps containing three hundredweight each, so that the load carried by each train will be about five tons.

It may be interesting to mention that the last difficulty in telpherage, which consisted in getting a proper adhesion between the driving-wheels of the locomotive and the wire rope, has now been overcome. The history of telpher locomotives is the history of steam locomotives over again, except that we never tried to fit the electric locomotives with legs, as was proposed in the early days for steam locomotives. It is a tedious discouraging history, but it is so easy to be wise when criticizing the past, so difficult to be wise when prospecting the future. Gripping-wheels of all kinds, even the india-rubber tires used for the last three years, have all been abandoned in favour of simple, slightly loose, cheap iron tires, which wear for a very long time, and give a very perfect grip when the bar supporting the electromotor is so pivoted, pendulum-wise, to the framework of the locomotive that the weight of the motor no longer makes the locomotive jump in passing the posts, as it did until quite recently.

After several years of experimenting, we have in telpherage, I venture to think, at last a perfectly trustworthy, and at the same time a most economical, method of utilizing distant steam- or water-power to automatically transport our goods, and in time it may even be our people, over hills and valleys, without roads or bridges, and without interfering with the crops or the cattle, or the uses to which the land may be put over which the telpher trains pursue their snake-like way: we have, in fact, the luxury of ballooning, without its dangers.

Nice early history of bikes leading up to the USA in the late 1880's, originally published in "Athletic sports in America, England and Australia"
by Harry Clay Palmer, J. Austin Fynes, Francis C. Richter, W.I.Harris, 1889

XIV. 'CYCLING.*
* By F. P. Prial, Editor of The Wheel and Cycling Trade Review.

'Cycling is a general term, and has come into latter-day service to cover everything connected with the sport of wheeling. In the same manner, the term 'cyclist may be applied to a bicycle, tricycle, or safety rider; to a lady or to a gentleman. This sport of 'cycling has some phenomenal aspects, not only in the development in the style and manufacture of wheels, but in the remarkable increase of its votaries, which shows an amazing gain every year.

'Cycling was a development. Between the years 1800 and 1816 there must have been a very large number of men who believed that a man-motor, or vehicle driven by man power, was a possibility. No public mention was made of such a vehicle until 1816, but there is reason to believe that numbers of men were experimenting, and that more or less crude forms of manumotors were in use in the early years of the century. The patent records of all countries will show the most curious collection of man-power vehicles that one could well look upon. 'Cycling began as a wonder, degenerated into a "fad," was revived as a sport, and to-day occupies an important place in the history of outdoor recreation.

In the perfection of the 'cycle, England, France, Germany, and America join hands. The French conceived the idea, the Germans went them one better, the English carried the idea to a greater degree of progress, and, finally, America furnished a few essential ideas which gave the finishing touch and produced the bicycle as we know it today.

The first form of man-motor was a three-wheeled velocipede, invented by Blancharde and Magurier. This wheel was exhibited in the Place de la Concorde, Paris, before the members of the French Academy and other distinguished spectators. An account of the proceedings appears in Le Journal de Paris, of July 27th, 1779. It seems to have been of complicated design, and had no merit of any kind, outside the mere idea. Between that date and 1816, when the general idea of the bicycle appeared, there were numbers of wheels produced, all without merit, and for the most part complicated masses of metal. They were known under the various names of mechanical carriages, perambulators, accelerators, passepartouts, mechanical horses, propellers, velocipedes,etc.

To the German race is to be credited the rudimentary bicycle. It was invented in 1816 by the Baron Von Drais, a landscape gardener of some reputation, who was master of the forests of the Grand Duke of Baden, at Manheim-on-the-Rhine. He was, quite probably, an "odd genius," and he conceived the idea that, with the aid of a velocipede, a man could support the weight of his body while on the level, and could make good pace by coasting down grades. His invention was called the "Draisine." It consisted of two wheels, one in front of the other, connected by a perch, with a rude contrivance to control the front wheel. The rider sat astride the perch, propelled the wheel by thrusting his feet on the ground as if pushing the ground behind him, and lifting his feet and coasting down grades. On this peculiar and primitive vehicle the Baron perambulated about the Duke's grounds to the admiration of the few and the consternation of the many.

The Baron's "Draisine" appeared in Paris in 1816, when an exhibition was given at the "Tivoli Gardens," a famous resort of the day. Patents were taken out in France, in which country the machine was called the "Célérifère." The wheel did not show in England until 1818, when it was immediately improved by one Dennis Johnson, who took out patents on a "Pedestrian Curricle." Johnson's wheel had an adjustable saddle, which could be moved forward or backward, to suit the convenience of the rider. It also had cushioned rests for the forearms, and the handles were of more convenient form. Johnson's improved wheel created a furore in England, and many wheels were ridden. The Baron Drais' wheel was also very popular throughout Germany and France. It was called the Draisina, Draisine, Célérifère, Pedestrian Curricle, and Velocipede. The most popular name for it in England was the "dandy-horse," or "hobby-horse."

In 1819 the "dandy-horse" was brought to New York, and immediately became the craze, not only in the metropolis but in other cities. In June, 1819, one W.K.Clarkson was granted a patent for an improvement, but the papers disappeared in the Patent Office fire of 1836, and the nature of Clarkson's improvement has never been learned. In 1821, Louis Gompertz, an Englishman, patented an important improvement. Gompertz practically retained the lines of the "Draisine" and Johnson's "dandy-horse," but, by the use of a sequent rack gearing into a pinion on the front wheel, the rider was able to drive the wheel by drawing the handles toward him. So that Gompertz was the first man to produce a velocipede which could be driven without the use of the limbs as propellers. From 1821 until 1865 but little progress was made in 'cycle invention. In March,1865, a Frenchman,named Marischal,obtained a patent for a "double-running" velocipede. Marischal describes his velocipede as consisting of a frame connecting five wheels, each having an independent axle, the ends of which are provided with foot cranks bearing loose pedals; each wheel to be mounted and driven by its rider, who was seated directly over his wheel. The front wheel was used as a steering wheel, so that it was practically a five-seated velocipede, with one rider guiding and the other four seated two abreast and helping to propel.

In 1865 Messrs.Woirin and Leconde took out French patents on a wheel which was simpler than Marischal's, and which approached the modern bicycle more closely than any previous device. It was a three-wheeled velocipede, a large front wheel and two smaller rear wheels, the latter on the same axle. The axle of the front wheel terminated in two cranks, projecting in opposite directions. To these cranks were affixed loose pedals. The frame was of wood, and shaped like a horse, the hind legs forming the rear forks of the machine, and the fore legs forming the front forks, between which the large driving-wheel revolved. It will be noted that these men were the first to make a three-wheeler driven by cranks and pedals.

The next step in 'cycle invention was the discovery that the foot-crank method of propulsion would work as well on two as on three wheels; that two rear wheels are not necessary to maintain equilibrium. This discovery was made in 1865, by Pierre Lallement, a French mechanic. Lallement perfected his wheel at odd moments, and it was exhibited at the Paris Exposition in 1865. In 1866 Lallement came to the United States, and removed to New Haven. Being out of employment, he built two of his wheels and gave exhibitions in that city. The wheel attracted the attention of a man named Carroll, and on November 20th, 1866, an American patent was obtained by Lallement and Carroll.

Lallement's wheel was the immediate forerunner, and contained the essential ideas, of the modern bicycle. Shortly after introducing his wheel, Lallement sold his interest in the American patGents and returned to France, where he became a manufacturer for a time. Of late years he has been an employee in the Pope Manufacturing Company's factory at Hartford. In 1868 Lallement turned out a rather better style of a wheel, with some of the parts made of iron and bronze, instead of wood, and his wheel was exhibited in the Champs Elysees and Tuileries, and caused a great furore.

Lallement's title as the inventor of the primitive bicycle is disputed by Edward Gilman, an Englishman, who obtained patents in the British Patent Office on August 1st, 1866. In Gilman's device the weight of the rider was of material service in propelling the wheel, and greatly increased the power applied.

These improvements of Lallement and Gilman brought the velocipede into great popularity; indeed, riding became a craze in England. France, and the United States. During the years 1867-8-9 the English made steady progress, many improvements of a minor kind being patented. On March 31st, 1868, L.F.P.Riviere, a resident of the county of Middlesex, produced a machine in which the front wheel was "somewhat larger than the rear one." In November, 1868, C.K.Bradford, an American, added the suggestion of a rubber tire, and in December,1868, Edward A.Paver, an Englishman, introduced the suspension wheel and anti-friction bearings; and so the modern bicycle was perfected.

The modern 'cycle dates from about 1875 in England, and from the 1876 Centennial Exposition in this country. The first real impetus to the introduction of modern 'cycling was given by John Keen and Dave Stanton, two English racing men, who came here in 1876 and gave exhibitions throughout the country. A bicycle was also on exhibition at the Philadelphia Exposition. The first bicycle ridden by a native was brought to Boston on May 29th, 1877, by Alfred D. Chandler, a law student. In November, 1877, Cunningham & Heath, a Boston concern, began to import bicycles, the pioneer rider being Frank Weston. In the fall of 1877, Colonel Albert A.Pope rode a bicycle, and became so much interested that he imported eight bicycles and sold them at his store. At the time the Colonel was in the air-pistol business. In July, 1878, the first wheels were manufactured for Colonel Pope by the Weed Sewing-Machine Company, at Hartford. The total sales of bicycles for the year 1878 were ninety-two. Within a year there were one hundred regularly organized bicycle clubs in this country, and from that time the growth of 'cycling has been phenomenal.

The wheels used in this country are imported from England, or manufactured here. The types of wheels may be generally grouped as bicycles and tricycles. The bicycles are of several styles, as: ordinary, which is the name applied to a two-wheeled vehicle, with a large driving or front wheel, with a diameter of from forty to sixty inches and a rear wheel averaging from eighteen to twenty-two inches. The other important division of bicycles is the safety, or dwarf, in which both wheels are about equal in size and have diameters of twenty-six to thirty-two inches, and are driven by a direct crank action, by chain and cog wheel, and by other power devices, the feature of the dwarf being that the front wheel is the steering wheel and the rear wheel the driver, hence they are called rear-drivers.

A division of the rear-driving bicycles are the rear-driving or tandem safeties, an equal-wheeled two-seated vehicle, the rear rider sitting directly behind the front rider. This form of bicycle may be constructed so that three, four, or more riders may use it. Modifications of the tall or ordinary bicycle are the Star and Eagle bicycles.

Tricycles are of various forms, some simple, many complicated, the most popular form being a three-track vehicle, two wheels of about twenty-two inches, and a small front steering wheel, with a chain and ratchet arrangement for driving power. Other forms of the tricycle besides the single tricycle described are the sociable, the tandem, the triplet, and the quadricycle. The feature of the sociable is that the two riders sit side by side, but this has been found to be an awkward arrangement, and the sociable tricycle has fallen into innocuous desuetude. The tandem tricycle provides that one rider shall sit behind the other. Its two principal forms are the bicycle, or direct-steerer, and the "Humber" type, which is easiest to drive, but is not without danger on account of its peculiar construction. The triplet is a four-wheeled vehicle with seats for three. It has not come into practical use, but remarkably fast time has been made upon it. The quadricycle, which has as yet attracted no very great publicity or popularity, is a four-wheeled vehicle providing seats for two. These types are the principal ones, though there are scores of variations, a mere sketch of which would make a big book.

The American 'cycle trade still centres around Boston, although "the Hub" is not the centre of 'cycling that it once was, and it is rapidly losing its prestige as the 'cycling trade centre. Perhaps a more careful statement would be that there is now no trade centre at all. In past seasons the heart of the trade certainly was in the City of Culture, but the advent of so many new concerns in various parts of the country has detracted from the premier position which Boston once held.

The first three years of the American trade might be sketched in a few brief paragraphs, but a history of the trade as it is to-day would make a bulky volume. The 'cycle industry is divided among manufacturers and importers. Some of the manufacturers have their own plant, while others have their wheels made by contract. The importers either represent some English houses, or have their wheels manufactured to special order by English concerns. In two cases, English houses have established American branches, and import and sell their own wheels direct.

The wheels are sold through agents, who are allowed a discount according to the amount of their sales. Most of the agents deal only in 'cycles, and have the exclusive agency in their city or town for one or more styles of wheels. It is the custom for an agent to make a "leader" of one style, and he devotes his best energy to pushing that make, making but little effort to sell the other lines he carries, and only showing them upon demand. The relations between the agent and the parent houses are quite close, and he is quite frequently financially aided by them. Besides selling new wheels, he rents wheels by the hour, repairs, buys, sells, and exchanges second-hand wheels, and sometimes lets storage room to riders who are not members of clubs. Within the past year the agency business has been developed, and some of the larger dealers now have exclusive control of a wheel for one or more States. Besides dealers who confine their business to 'cycles are others who are in the hardware or sporting goods line, and who have bicycle departments. Two of the most successful dealers in the country made a reputation in the retail sewing-machine business before they commenced to sell 'cycles.

The 'cycle trade has many peculiarities found in no other business. The fact that a maker or importer depends on what are called "novelties" and "improvements" for advertisement and popularity has developed certain conditions - despicable conditions - which will disappear with the growth of the industry. At the present time many members of the trade carefully watch each other's movements, and at the present time an alert man can easily keep au courant with all the deals that are on or off. He knows, or feels that he ought to know, how much longer A will hold on; whether Company E's capital is all paid up; what H is going to put on the market next season; whether it is or is not true that J made $25,000 this year, and how many unsold wheels K has in stock at the end of the season. For the reasons stated above, important makers, importers, and sellers are very guarded in statement, and it is difficult to get at the status of a firm, to learn the amount of its capital, the approximate number of wheels sold, the market value of its stock, and what modifications in styles it may introduce.

There are at the present time eighteen manufacturers and nine importers in this country, making a total of twenty-seven 'cycle concerns, and these will be increased to at least thirty before the season of 1890 is opened, which will be about February. The makers turn out eighty-two different styles of wheels, while the importers bring over seventy-nine styles, a total of one hundred and sixty-one different types. The makers have about $2,250,000 invested, while the importers employ about $350,000, or altogether about four millions are used in the business of making and importing. These four millions represent the money invested in manufacturing plant, in material, in machines, and actually used in carrying on the business. There are probably 2,000 agents in the country. Of these 2,000 many derive a large portion of their profit from profits on exchanges, buying and selling secondhand wheels, repairing, etc., and sales of lamps, gongs, and other cycling accessories. The average agent makes nothing more than a good living. The average profit would be about $2,000, the large majority running at about $1,500, with a constantly decreasing number netting above the sum named up to $20,000 and $25,000. They marketed in the aggregate about seven million dollars. A fair estimate of the number of 'cyclists of the country would be from 115,000 to 130,000. They spend $7 000,000 for new wheels, $750,000 on second-hand wheels, $300,000 for club dues, $600,000 on repairs, and $1,750,000 on uniforms, cycle sundries, etc., a total of over ten millions. Besides this there is $1,500,000 invested in club property, and the total value of 'cycling stock is about $18,000,000.

The style of wheel which a 'cyclist should purchase depends upon several circumstances, as sex, age, physical condition, kind of roads over which the wheel is to be ridden, and other special conditions. Of course the state of one's pocket-book must be taken into the account. The choice of a person between the ages of fifteen and fifty should be between an ordinary, or a safety of high grade, ranging in price from $125 to $135, or a medium grade wheel, which may be bought for from $75 to $100. For a man who does most of his riding by daylight, and has good roads, the average light roadster ordinary, having a weight of about thirty-eight pounds, will be found to possess many advantages. He will find that it takes much longer to learn to ride the ordinary than the safety; the tall wheel is more dangerous than the dwarf. Of course, a skillful rider will reduce this danger to a minimum, and will guide his ordinary over the most difficult places, but the average rider never takes the time or the thought to develop this mastery of his wheel. Besides, the feeling of unsafety which is always consciously or unconsciously in the rider's mind takes a deal of stamina out of him and largely contributes to the fatigue occasioned by the muscular effort. Notwithstanding the drawbacks to which I refer, many riders will use none but a tall wheel. It takes less muscular effort to drive it, the wheel lasts longer, and the pleasure of driving a tall wheel is in slight degree greater than that experienced on a safety. There are a half score of tall wheels sold in this country, all of which are of high grade make and the matter of selection becomes merely a whim. One man will prefer a particular feature of one style, such as a ball head, a tangent spoke, a direct spoke, etc., while another rider will consider this same feature a drawback to the wheel.

By far the larger number of young male riders prefer the safety bicycle. Indeed, the popularity of the dwarf wheel has amounted to the proportions of a "craze," not only in this country but in England, France, and Germany. The makers are turning out ordinaries, but their greatest ingenuity and capacity are devoted to making safeties. During some months of the spring of 1889 was impossible to obtain safeties of certain popular styles.

The safety runs almost as easily as the ordinary bicycle, and can be made as light in construction. It is lighter than the tricycle, is practically free from headers, and is easily mastered. The average type of safety is two wheels of equal size or thereabouts, about thirty inches in diameter, though the sizes run from 26 to 32 inches, and sometimes the front wheel varies from the rear wheel to the extent of a couple of inches. The safety is the wheel for night riding, and for rough country. It has the advantage of being geared up to different powers, so that the rider may have a wheel geared all the way from 54 to 60. The strongest form of safety is the diamond-frame, which is constructed to take up the strain. The upper joint of the diamond is generally made detachable, so that the wheel may be ridden by a lady, when the bar is removed. The weights of wheels run from thirty to fifty-five, six, or seven pounds. The wheels turned out by American makers run at a few pounds over fifty. A fifty-pound wheel geared to 54 or 57 inches will be found most suitable for the ordinary country roads. A man of light weight or of delicate physique may ride a 38 to 45-pound wheel with advantage. A wheel weighing in the neighborhood of forty pounds is quite heavy enough for Park, asphalt or good macadam riding. Most young riders who use light wheels gear them as high as 60 and even up to 64, but such a wheel is not worth much after a season's hard riding, and the extra gear, especially if it is higher than 57 inches, is scarcely an advantage, as the muscular effort necessary to overcome the high gear, especially if there is any hill work, leaves one rather ragged after a good run. The safeties on the American market differ in many points. One is fitted with an anti-vibrator device, while almost all differ in the following points: Length of wheel base, size of wheels, style of saddle, shape of handle-bars and handles, slant of handle-bar post and front forks, form of frame, shape of seat-rod, etc.

In purchasing a wheel the rider should consider that a large part of the fatigue of a ride is caused by the vibration, not only in the arms and hands, caused by the vibration of the handles, but over the entire body. This vibration also causes great wear and tear of the 'cycle, and shortens its life. The common minimizers of vibration are: Special anti-vibration devices, arrangement of the saddle on springs, and the use of heavy rubber tires. A wheel that is too stiffly or too rigidly built has more vibration than one which has some spring both in the machine itself and in the form of construction. Generally speaking, a good saddle and heavy rubber tires are depended upon to absorb the larger part of the vibration, but, in addition to these, many makers use special devices. These American makers use springs in the front forks, which do their share to absorb the vibration. Other makers use springs coiled into the bottom of the forks, or connect the forks to the hubs by strong springs. The two latest anti-vibration devices are: A detachable handle-bar and a pneumatic tire. The latter device, which has created somewhat of a sensation, consists of a rubber tire inflated with air so that it passes over obstacles and rough roads without jar. The drawbacks of this tire are its large size and the necessity of replenishing the air to keep it properly distended.

To sum up, the ideal safety should not be geared too high, should be geared to 54 or 57 inches - except in the case of strong riders, while the tires should be heavy, the cranks fairly long, and the saddle the most comfortable that money can buy.

The fair sex who go about on wheels are called lady 'cyclists, though "cycling for women" is a permissible and proper combination. The types to which a lady may confine her selection are the tricycle and the safety bicycle. Tricycling has always been popular with ladies since man first took up wheeling, for where man goes woman will follow, or at least make the attempt. By far the largest number of lady riders use bicycles, though many ride with either lady or gentlemen friends on the tandem bicycle or tandem tricycle.

In the early days, the 'cyclist was regarded as a boyish man, as a person with a screw loose; and, as the general public dislikes cranks, it took special pleasure in making the life of the 'cyclist as miserable as possible. Of course, this sort of thing is rapidly disappearing. The number of cyclists has become so great that the sight of one no longer excites the deviltry inherent in all small boys. The hoodlum has learned, through the policy of silence, that the cyclist either despises his meanness or pities his ignorance, and as for the men who go abroad on wheels, and who are called road-hogs, or the men who want the earth, they have been restrained by the insinuating but potent influence of the law, which has long since placed the cyclist on the same footing with the modest buggy, the cumbersome barouche, and the pretentious tally-ho, not to forget all manner of vehicles of trade, from the skittish butcher cart to the furniture van.

It may be stated, with truth, that the cycle is in use all over the civilized world, and, since Thomas Stevens completed his remarkable journey around the globe, it may be added that, in certain byways of the world, the bicycle is familiar where the modern family coach has never been seen. The home of the sport is in England, where there are probably 400,000 wheelmen. It has the finest roads of any country. It has thousands of agents and hundreds of factories. Its cycling journals are the oldest and the largest published. Its manufacturers send wheels to America, to all the European countries, Australia, India, and even to Africa. The cycle is very popular in both France and Germany, and even this year a German rider scampered off with the one-mile bicycle championship of England. Almost all the countries where cycles are extensively used have organizations, the main planks of whose platforms are the protection of cyclists and the advancement of their interests. The Cyclists'Touring Club, of England, has a membership of over 20,000. The League of American Wheelmen numbers 12,000. The Cyclists' Society maintains a salaried secretary, publishes a monthly magazine, prints cyclists' hand-books and maps, and lists of hotels at which cyclists receive special discounts. The American association has a constitution as perfect in its outworkings as the United States Constitution. It has a President, who, with the First and Second Vice-Presidents, forms an Executive Committee. It is governed by a National Assembly, composed of about ninety members, apportioned to the various States. Its work is carried on by various standing committees. The Racing Board makes the laws of the race-path, adjudicates on all questions raised, and preserves a state of strict amateurism. The Rights and Privileges Committee look out for the legal interests of cyclists, influence legislation in favor of wheelmen, carry on suits against drivers who have injured wheelmen, against turnpike companies who make unjust charges, and prevent city, town, and park authorities from passing illegal restrictions and ordinances. The Transportation Committee secures special rates from railroads, and has induced all the principal lines to transport wheels free when accompanied by their owners. The Roads Improvement Committee have long been educating the people on the necessity and benefits of good roads, and are about to introduce roads improvement legislation in several States. Each "State Division" comprising this League has a controlling body called the Board of Officers. Its head is the Chief Consul. Each of the National Committees mentioned above are also duplicated in the State, the whole working in harmony. The League maintains a salaried Secretary-Editor at Boston, and each of its members receives weekly a cycling paper, in which all official news is published. The National Assembly meets every February to transact the business of the League. The national body holds an annual meet every summer, which is much in the nature of a reunion. The States also hold their annual meets, and many of the larger Divisions have published road-books, in which are outlined routes between the principal cities. Besides the two organizations whose work has been sketched, are cyclists'associations in Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, Australia, and Canada.

The early oppression, suppression, or persecution of wheelmen developed a fraternal, live-together-or-we'll-die-separate feeling which was productive of numerous clubs. The Pickwick is the oldest club in England, and was organized in 1869 or thereabouts. The oldest club in America is the Boston Bicycle Club, which was organized in 1879. The English club is a club in name only, while the American organization is anything from a weekly meeting at the cross-roads of a few riders bent on taking a run to an organization of perhaps two hundred men, having a club-house palatial in size and appointments. There are perhaps a thousand clubs, at least half of which have club headquarters or rooms furnished more or less elegantly. About two hundred clubs have club property, each representing investments from five to forty thousand dollars. The greatest wheel city is Washington, which has so many miles of asphalt pavements and so many Government clerks who have time to ride. The wheel is used to go to and from business, as a delivery wagon by retailers. Ladies shop on it, and wheels are as common a sight as car horses. The number of cyclists in the Capital City has been estimated from eight to twelve thousand.

Chicago has about fifteen salesrooms, a like number of clubs, and about six thousand riders. Its splendid boulevards are the cause of this activity. Boston and its suburbs afford riding to about twenty thousand riders. In the Orange, N.J., district, in which nearly all the roads are well-kept macadam, are four thousand riders. Roughly estimating, the number of riders in other large cities is as follows: New York and Brooklyn, about five thousand; Philadelphia, three thousand; Cleveland, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburg, Scranton, Baltimore, St Louis, San Francisco, Buffalo, Denver, and Omaha have from eight to fifteen hundred riders each. A city of fifty thousand will contain about two hundred riders, and this is about the proportion of 'cyclists to the total population, except that where the roads are good the number of wheelmen is much larger than the average named.

New York city supports five clubs, all renting large private houses and having an aggregate membership of nearly a thousand. Brooklyn cyclists maintain three superbly appointed club-houses, with a membership of five hundred and an investment of about seventy thousand dollars, of which the wheelmen owe forty thousand. Jersey City supports one club-house; Boston, one; Washington, three; Philadelphia has several clubs, supports four houses, three of which are worth eighty thousand dollars, and are equal to anything in the country. Baltimore has a palatial club building, facing Druid Hill Park. Chicago has three large club buildings and several smaller clubs. Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburg, San Francisco, and Scranton have club-houses. A general and accurate statement would be that all towns with a cycling population have from one to a dozen clubs; that at least one club has meeting-rooms, and where the number of clubs runs over three, at least one of these has a specially built house, which it either leases or owns outright.

The more pretentious club buildings are architecturally fine as to front, and commodious and richly furnished as to interior. The basement is used as a wheel-room, the first floor as a parlor and reception-rooms, with an alcove reading-room, the next floor a locker and billiard-room. Some large houses have bowling-alleys, gymnasiums, card and committee rooms, janitors' quarters, etc. The well-conditioned club has club runs on Sundays and holidays, holds stag rackets, smoking concerts and receptions during the winter, and the rooms are the social headquarters of the members.

In the July 6, 1888 edition of Wheel and Cycling Trade Review, Prial published a roundup of tandem bike designs at the time:
Wheel_and_Cycling_Trade_Review_1888July6.jpg

sk8norcal said:
found this steampunk motorbike,
his other bikes are pretty nuts too...

Awesome sk8! Really liking his "Black Widow" also:
Black_Widow.jpg
ex9v2_sc_10000.jpg

Apparently Putsch Racing commissioned this and will build to order... Plenty of room for battery pack, passenger and picnic!
http://www.putschracing.com/

:D

L0cK

From "Cycling Art, Energy and Locomotion" by Robert P.Scott, 1889

Dalzell_1845.jpg

Dalzell machine, 1845.

"THE ORIGINAL BICYCLE.

"At the late Stanley Show was exhibited the machine which is now generally conceded to be the original bicycle. We present a cut of the machine reproduced from the Scottish Cyclist, also a representation of the features of the inventor, one Gavin Dalzell, a merchant of Lesmahgon, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Dalzell was born August 29, 1811, and died June 14, 1863. He possessed decided talent for mechanical inventions. From the written testimony of a letter, and the testimony of J.B.Dalzell, son of the inventor and present owner of the machine, it is proved that it was in use previous to 1846, and there are eye-witnesses who recollect the inventor riding his bicycle over the roads of Lanarkshire.

"In construction the Dalzell bicycle is the exact prototype of the now popular rear-driving safety.

"It is constructed chiefly of wood, which, though worm-eaten, is still wonderfully strong, especially in the wheels, these seeming to have stood the ravages of time and rough usage much better than the frame-work. The rear wheel - the driver - is of wood, shod with iron, about forty inches in diameter, and has twelve spokes, each about an inch in diameter. The front wheel is of similar construction, but only of about thirty inches in diameter. From the front wheel hub the fork - straight, and with a rake which some of our modern makers could copy with profit - passes up, and is joined together, through the fore-part of the wooden frame-work. A pair of handles are then attached and bent backward into a V shape to suit the rider, who sits about two feet behind the front-wheel hub. These were commonly termed the "reins." The main frame is somewhat like that which is now termed the 'dip' pattern, the design of which is applied in an extended form to ladies' safeties.

"A wooden mud-guard rises from this frame, covering about one-fourth of the circumference of the hind wheel; from this to the back forks, which are horizontal, and of wood, vertical flat stays run down, forming a dress-guard after the manner of those on the latest cycling development, - the ladies' safety. The action thus obtained is not rotary, being a downward and forward thrust with return, the feet describing a small segment of a circle. That the gearing, which constitutes the chief wonder to the critical and historical reader, was actually on the machine while being ridden by Mr. Dalzell, is proved by the receipted accounts of the blacksmith, John Leslie, who made all the iron-work used in its construction." - "Bi News," in The Wheel.

From "Cycling Art, Energy and Locomotion" by Robert P.Scott, 1889

Cadiz_and_Wheeling_plank_road_1869.jpg

AN AMERICAN BONE-SHAKER, 1869.

As it is a common practice to present patrons with a portrait of the venturesome culprit who aspires to engage the temporary notice of the public, by works of this kind, it is possible that some readers may, perchance, procure books with such expectations in view, and feel disappointed if no such custom has prevailed. Now, therefore, the writer has overhauled his effects and brought to light a picture which, "though not as new as it was," is a fair pecimen of the photographer's handicraft, which represents your hopeful tyro upon his original velocipede, one made by himself in 1868-69. This machine was probably the earliest single-track crank-machine made in the State of Ohio and one of the first in the United States.

Looking at the reproduction herewith annexed, I notice, with regret, that the rider has not improved as rapidly as have the machines.

AN ACT

To fix the rate of tolls to be charged by the Wheeling and Cadiz consolidated plank road company.

Section 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, That the Wheeling and Cadiz consolidated plank road company be authorized to receive from persons traveling on or using said road, the following tolls, for every ten miles travel on said road, and in the same proportion for any less distance, to wit: for every carriage, sled, sleigh or other vehicle drawn by one horse or other animal, fifteen cents, for each additional animal, ten cents, for every horse and rider eight cents, for every horse, mule, or ass, six months old or upwards, led or driven, four cents, for every head of neat cattle, six months old or upwards, two cents, for every head of hogs, one cent, for every head of sheep, one-half cent, for every stage coach, drawn by four horses, fifty cents; provided that any person or persons going to and from any public worship, on the Sabbath, funerals, militia musters, election, jurymen going to and from court, the troops of the United States and of this state, may pass on said plank road free from toll.

Sec. 2. This act to take effect on and after its passage.
N.H.VAN VORHES, Speaker of the House of Representatives.
THOMAS H. FORD, President of the Senate.

April 10, 1856.

Looks like Scott might have been cycling the plank road toll free. :)

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohmfahs/fl-2005a.htm
THE HISTORY OF ROADS IN BELMONT COUNTY
by
JOYCE ROY
from
WELCOME TO COLERAIN, ITS HISTORY FROM 1800-1976

At first the roads in this area were little more than trails and bridle paths through the woods, marked by blazings on trees.

The first road through Belmont County was the Zane Trail which led from Wheeling to Zanesville. For many years this was the only way pioneers could travel east or west. It was dangerous due to the Indians and robbing whites. Eventually, ruts were worn to the depths of a horse from the heavy use.

Ebenezer Zane was employed by the government to make a road suitable for wagons. It took two years and was finished in 1798, but was poorly done. Zane received considerable tracts of land in Wheeling and Chillicothe for this work.

In 1811, work began on the National Road in Cumberland, Maryland. By 1825, the National Road was through Belmont County. It reached Vandalia, Illinois in 1840. The cost was $34,000. per mile and $100,000. for the section from Bridgeport to Fairview, a distance of 28.5 miles.

From dawn to dusk the road was crowded with droves of horses, cattle, sheep and pigs, along with Conestoga wagons, mostly headed west.

Since there were no gasoline taxes or license plates, the roads were paid for by tax levies, assessments and tolls. A percentage of the sale of public lands was earmarked for roads. To pay your share of road taxes you could work three days per year on the road with a pick and shovel and this would settle your obligation or if you had horses, you hitched them to a road scraper and worked one day. Everyone helped in some way.

Plank roads became popular about 1845. Various road companies were formed which constructed the plank roads and erected toll houses. The cost ran about $2,000. per mile and they lasted approximately seven years. Two of the advantages were that they could be used throughout the year and heavier loads could be hauled on them.

Some of the toll houses in this area were:

The top of Bridgeport hill on Route 250
The “cut” on Colerain Pike (approximately where Colerain Pike and Ferryview Road Converge
The vicinity of Hilltop School on Route 250.

In 1852, a company was organized and built a plank road from Wheeling to Cadiz, a distance of some twenty miles. In a few years the planks were worn out and thrown away, and a good turnpike was made of stone. The toll for a man and horse was $.02. It was run by the Inter-County Highway system. In 1925, the State Highway Department took over, paved the road and did away with the toll house.

Colerain Pike existed prior to 1816. Glenn’s Run was surveyed in 1805. A petition was presented to the county commissioners on March 9, 1908 to remove the toll gates on the Martins Ferry and Colerain Turnpike, but the commissioners deferred any action. The Pike was improved with brick around the year 1922 and finished by 1927.

The first cars appeared on the roads around 1908-10, but were of little value in the winter. Consequently, people still relied on their horse and buggy.

MACPHERSON'S BICYCLE.

[From the New York Times.]

The Rev.Mr.Macpherson had been for nearly a year the rector of the church in Ishkatawhunky, Iowa, and, together with his young and attractive wife, had won the warm admiration of all but the unmarried ladies of the parish, when he became interested in bicycles. Being young and athletic, he soon became an excellent rider, and every afternoon after four o'clock he was accustomed to mount his bicycle in the back yard, to ride swiftly down the carriage path to the street, and thence through the village. As his house was an isolated one, and no curious neighbors were near, Mrs.Macpherson undertook to learn to ride, and in a short time was able to mount with ease and to ride the length of the yard, where her husband would meet her and hold the machine while she dismounted. She greatly enjoyed the sport, and it may possibly have been in order to remove from her the temptation to ride outside of the yard that her husband avoided teaching her to dismount without his help. A fortnight ago Mr.Macpherson bought one of the new Chicago spring-motor velocipedes, without informing his wife of the nature of his purchase. It was delivered at his house while he was absent at the Diocesan Convention, and his wife was filled with admiration of its beauty. She was entirely ignorant that it was in any respect different from other machines, and late in the afternoon she determined to try it. Her husband not being at hand to help her to dismount, she called the cook, and gave her full directions as to how to catch the machine and hold it. Then taking the new machine to the extreme rear of the yard, Mrs.Macpherson sprang into the saddle, and was off at a speed of fifteen miles an hour.

It need hardly be said that she was terribly frightened. Scarcely less frightened was the cook as she saw her mistress sweeping down upon her at so terrific a speed. Instead of trying to stop the machine, she screamed wildly and ran out of its path. The gate was open, and Mrs.Macpherson whirled into the street. She would have given worlds to stop the runaway bicycle, but she did not know the secret of the lever, and she did not dare to risk her life by jumping off. In a few minutes she found herself entering the long principal street of Ishkatawhunky, and saw that the inhabitants were flocking to the sidewalk to watch her. She was crimson with horror as she reflected that the machine was strictly designed for riders with trousers, and for a moment she almost made up her mind to throw herself to the ground, regardless of consequences. Fortunately she reflected that the results of a fall would be more startling and extensive even than those entailed by keeping her seat, and so, trying to comfort herself with the reflection that they were real Balbriggan, and unusually tasteful in color and pattern, she rode on. She would gladly have changed places with Mazeppa, who rode through a desert instead of a crowded street, and she envied Lady Godiva, who had induced the people of Coventry to close their window-blinds. The sensation she caused as she rushed through the village and out again upon the prairie, cannot be described, but she knew perfectly well that no possible story that she could devise would be accepted in explanation of the frightful impropriety of which she had been guilty.

The runaway bicycle came to a stop ten miles out of Ishkatawhunky, and close to a railway station. Mrs.Macpherson promptly took the train to Milwaukee, where her parents resided, and then telegraphed to her husband. Of course she never returned to Ishkatawhunky, and Mr.Macpherson was requested to resign his parish on the ground that the conduct of his wife was to the last degree scandalous. He has since given up bicycling, but he is under a cloud, and his hopes of usefulness in the Church are ruined.

:lol:

CONTRIBUTORS DEPARTMENT
"Improvements."

I was thinking, the other day, how strangely things seem to run in circles, or, rather, in spirals. We come around about once in so often to the same meridian, but we are a notch higher up. The idea was brought up by finding an old scrap from some London illustrated paper containing a picture of a four-wheeled velocipede, presented to the present Prince of Wales, when he and I were youths, - not exactly together, but simultaneously. Now, after passing through the stages of "bone-shaker" and bicycle, we find the three and four-wheeled pedomotive carriages again coming to the front as the favorite vehicles; but how different is the spider-wheeled, rubber-tired, ball-bearing, feather-weight machine of to-day, from the heavy, wooden machine of twenty odd years ago, - and where will we be twenty years hence? In advance, no doubt. But I want to enter my protest here and now against the idea that attaching some steam-boiler, electric-battery, or other source of power for propulsion, save the muscles of the rider, is a way of improving the bicycle or tricycle. That may be a way of improving on the horse and buggy, or the train-cars, or the stage-coach; but to furnish the bicycle or the tricycle with a mechanical motive is not progress; it is retrogression; it deprives them of their great charm; in fact, of their very raison d'etre. Now the bicycler has a machine, which ceases to be a mere machine, and becomes, in fact, an extension of the rider's personality as soon as mounted. It is a pair of seven-leagued boots; a pair of wings ; it has power, but only to extend or multiply that of the rider; it has life, but it is only the projection of the life of the rider. It is ns entirely dependent upon his volition - as entirely a part of himself - as his arm or his leg; and herein lies its charm, to say nothing of the sanitary considerations of healthful exercise. No steam or electric motor can ever replace the alter ego, much less be an improvement upon it; though, doubtless, for business purposes strictly, we may soon see tricycles or quadricycles flying over our country roads, urged forward by the mysterious power stored up in the leaden plates of a Faure or Brush accumulator. Such machines may be welcomed as improvements on hacks or street-cars, but that is all; they are only machines, and never can have souls in them, like the bicycle and tricycle of to-day.

BICYCLES AND TRICYCLES.

It is not very difficult to understand the sudden popularity of the new exercise, - riding the bicycle or two-wheeled Velocipede. Any new exercise not excessively tedious or dangerous, and involving a little expense, is pretty sure of a welcome in Western Europe and America, and this particular exercise had numerous recommendations. It requires some skill and activity, without demanding too much, the comparative degrees of proficiency being as marked as in horsemanship or in rowing. It is graceful, or rather there always seems to be in it a possibility of grace, while there is a certainty of attracting attention and fixing it on the performer, which of itself would popularize any amusement with the French, and, perhaps, the English mind. English skaters are not beyond noticing the effect their attitudes produce, and bicycle riding, like skating, combines the pleasure of personal display with the luxury of swift motion through the air. The pursuit admits, too, of ostentation, as the machine can be adorned with almost any degree of visible luxury; and differences of price, and, so to speak, of caste in the vehicle can be made as apparent as in a carriage. It is not wonderful, therefore, that idle men sprang at the new idea, - we say new, for though the invention is old, it had been forgotten, - with a sense of relief, that the infection spread fast from Paris to America, England, and, we believe, Russia; that a new trade suddenly sprang up which employs thousands, that the invention was quarrelled for by a legion of mechanicians, that a score of patent suits were introduced into the Courts, - one of them in America will be a cause celebre, - that riding-schools multiplied by the dozen, that there are races, matches, tournaments on the bicycle, and that we have before us a popular history of Velocipedes extending from the dandy-horse of fifty years ago to the last new perfected Yankee notion. The Bicycle is for the moment a rage, but nevertheless we doubt very greatly if it is more, if unimproved it will keep its ground, or become a permanent addition to our means of locomotion. Nothing of the kind succeeds unless it is useful, and the use of the bicycle is extremely problematical. To begin with, there is a serious doubt as to its healthiness. The Lancet, we see, has given a clear though not a very strong opinion in its favour; but the machine has not been tested long enough to decide whether the old objection to it, that it produced a liability to rupture, is entirely unfounded. The old dandy-horse certainly did, and though the strain in using that contrivance was much greater, the feet touching the ground at every step, still the exertion even with the present one is not of the safest kind. Falls, too, are very frequent, and sometimes severe, and a "run over" is apt to be a serious business, the driver having no horse to bear most of the shock. It is like that very rare and extremely disagreeable accident, the upset of a hansom on its side, an accident which very seldom leaves the passenger unwounded. Then the exertion, though not severe to a strong man in full health, is a great strain on those to whom any such means of locomotion would be most valuable, the men to whom a long walk is a toil and severe rowing an impossibility. It is not a vehicle for women either, and the addition of a second seat, which has been talked about, even if practicable, would greatly increase the labour without at all diminishing the chances of an overset, which, disagreeable even to men, would to women be not only dangerous, but frightful, the side of the face being usually the part of the body most injured. This last objection applies also to the tricycle, which ladies can work, as the seat resembles that of a sulky, and the power is applied through treadles. It will turn over, however, if carelessly managed, or if it runs away down hill, or if turned too sharply out of the way of a horse; and the driver, as the writer can testify from experience, is almost invariably thrown on the hands and the side of the head, which strike the ground with unpleasant or, if the speed is considerable, dangerous force.

Still, in spite of all these drawbacks, the Tricycle, admitting as it does of a resting seat, might have a great popularity, if only one difficulty could be overcome. Nothing is more wanted in modern life than a means of getting swiftly about on common roads without incessant expense, of going, say, thirty, or even twenty, miles without very great fatigue. Of all the drawbacks to country life, none have been more severely felt than the rapid increase in the cost of keeping a horse, an increase of at least 100 per cent, within the last half-century. Whole classes, like the poorer clergy, Dissenting ministers, poor doctors, and many more, who want to move about freely, are chained to a narrow circle, because they cannot afford to keep for six days in the week a vehicle they want for only two. Mr. Lowe's budget will in all tolerably populous places remove much of this inconvenience, as very small innkeepers will be able to keep cheap vehicles for hire, - a gig, for example, might be let for 2s.6d. a day, if the journey were moderate, - but still the power of getting swiftly about without fatigue and without cost would, in many places, and to many classes, be invaluable. This is just what no existing bicycle, or tricycle, or velocipede of any kind fully confers. It will not help the traveller up-hill. The labour of forcing it along any ordinary rough road is calculated to be nearly equal to that of walking, the proportions being one-sixteenth as compared with one-thirteenth; but up an incline it is indefinitely greater, greater, in fact, than if the traveller had to carry the velocipede himself, so great that it is easier to walk and drag or push the vehicle before him. In most English counties, with their swelling undulations, and roads built apparently with a view rather to the enjoyment of scenery than to the saving of labour, - in a county like Kent, for example, this objection, unless it can be overcome, is fatal to anything approaching the universal use of the velocipede, and it is extremely doubtful if it can ever be removed. Certainly it cannot be while the only power employed is that residing in the traveller himself. No conceivable ingenuity of adjustment can seriously relieve him up-hill, or enable him to get to the top without carrying his own weight and that of his machine. "Old velocipedists all affirm that it is better and wiser on long journeys to walk up the hills, for there is a much less expenditure of power in walking up the hills and leading the bicycle, or even pushing a four-wheeler, than in attempting to force it along by means of the treadles." It is to this point we conceive the attention of mechanicians should now be exclusively directed. They cannot lighten or strengthen the velocipede much more, or enlarge its wheels without greatly adding to its weight. Is it impossible, without giving up the main idea of the velocipede, that the driver's own strength should be the motor, to store up power to aid him when he has a hill to pass or a bit of very heavy road? Steam is, of course, out of the question; it would be too dangerous and too costly; but is there no possible combination of springs, no application of compressed air, no use of the magnet which would secure an occasional and limited addition of power. We must leave the subject to the Engineer or the Mechanic, but we have a recollection of an invention by a Mr.Porter, we believe, of New York, which actually drove a railway engine, the motive-power being a magnet incessantly cut off and reapplied, and which was abandoned chiefly because it proved more costly than steam. At all events, the real point is, is there the possibility of obtaining fresh and intermittent power to be used only when required? With it, the tricycle might become a valuable addition to our locomotive resources; without it, it must remain, as at present, a toy used by those who like or require very violent exercise, or who have a skating rink or bitumen pavement on which to display their address.

...I wonder what Mr.Porter was up to in New York... "...drove a railway engine, the motive-power being a magnet incessantly cut off and reapplied..."

...before 1869! Hmmmmm

Back