Hot phase wire disconnection

mman1506

1 mW
I built this scooter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80918

The battery and the controller (Castle ice2 80 HV) is mounted in a backpack. I want to add a some connectors between the phase wires but I'm worried about having them accidentally disconnect while in motion and damage the controller. Is this something I should be worried about?

No. A phase wire disconnection under load should not present a problem other than loss of drive power.

It's also highly unlikely to disconnect if your connectors have the proper mating force and length.

cal3thousand said:
No. A phase wire disconnection under load should not present a problem other than loss of drive power.

It's also highly unlikely to disconnect if your connectors have the proper mating force and length.

Good to hear, the connectors would be located on the handlebar (probably Anderson) and connect the backpack to the scooter. A disconnect would be pretty probable if i fell off or tugged on it accidentally.

mman1506 said:
cal3thousand said:

Good to hear, the connectors would be located on the handlebar (probably Anderson) and connect the backpack to the scooter. A disconnect would be pretty probable if i fell off or tugged on it accidentally.

Yeah, in that case, it would even act as a safety kill switch :D

Gonna fry that controller stuffed in a back pack.

One thing about the phase wires. Put the males on the motor,,, so once disconnected, the wires cant touch and short on the controller side. That will blow your controller. Shielded female side of the connector on the controller side.

No harm if they short on the motor side, except the motor will get hard to turn.

Back