How to fix Backward and Forward feeling w/ CA3

Hi all,

I am experiencing an unpleasant backward and forward feeling. It gives the feeling that the ebike is going backward and forward couple times per second. It happens when:
- Maximum motor temperature is reached
- When motor is limited from CA3 with 3 state switch at 33 or 66% during cruising.
- When I disconnect the 3 state switch and limit to 10A or 500W.

It is not happening when
- I push 30A to the controller.
- The ebike is accelerating.
- Limiting the throttle output with the 3 state switch.

It seems that the controller is trying to limit amp and the CA is pushing higher amp.

I have a mac motor T8 with Cycle analyst v3 with a infineon controller (9 FET IRFB3077). I can see a variation of 50 W. In other words, I can see on the CA3: 1000W then 950W then 100W multiple times per second.

What I tried solutions:
- Try checking cable
- Try unplugging ebrakes to detect bad contacts.
- Update CA firmware

This post will updated with further possible solutions.

Quentin

I was thinking maybe it is due to a wrong throttle output voltage.
How can I know the correct output voltage for every controller or at least to this controller?

Hi
Try running the 3 position switch via the presets function and not the Amp % in the cav3 settings

or raise the Again setting to double whatever it is set at.

Jonno

Quentin_Rufin said:
I was thinking maybe it is due to a wrong throttle output voltage.
How can I know the correct output voltage for every controller or at least to this controller?

I'm thinking that the input throttle voltages that a controller would expect would fall into two camps. The first being for a hall sensor throttle output of about 1vdc to 4 vdc. And the second being a potentiometer type throttle with an output of 0vdc to 5vdc.
Check the controller's and throttle's particulars to see which is what. If not specified hook the throttle up directly, bypassing the CA3, and measure the throttle output voltages directly to see at what points the motor comes on first and then when it reaches 100%. This would also give you some insight as to if you have an actual throttle problem. And where to set throttle setpoints.

Teklektik's Unofficial User Guide (UUG) that is linked from the http://ebikes.ca CA3 page, or in the CA3 beta thread, has a guide on setting up throttle voltage ranges for input and output.

I have a MAC 12T on a Infineon 6Fet 4110 w CA3. I have a 3 speed switch on controller AND another switch on the CA that I use for current limiting.

The Controller switch 50%, 100%, 105% (anything over 103%-120% is the same from remember).

The CA3 current switch works perfectly when using the Controller on 50% or 100%.
If I switch to 105% on controller, then the limiting functions of the CA are compromised because the over speed function (at 103%) of the controller is not linear. It's two stage..and rocks between slow and fast depending on throttle position (If I lift my wheel off the ground in the garage I see the two stages clearly). Same throttle-limiting happens during temperature limiting.

So my question is: Do you have your controller set to 103%+? If so, then you can add a 3 speed switch on the controller to limit it to 100% and the CA functions should work ok.

When going 103% on controller, I just switch CA current to 100%.

Hayds13 said:
So my question is: Do you have your controller set to 103%+? If so, then you can add a 3 speed switch on the controller to limit it to 100% and the CA functions should work ok.

I only have one switch on the CA3. I will try to use the switch on the controller only when I receive some RC Connectors.

I have the same problem:
- When I disconnect the 3 state switch and limit to 10A or 500W.

Therfore I think the problem is configuring the CA3 or controller.

Back