How to make a carbon fiber block?

The oil compatibility issue was one of the first things I thought of too.

To be honest it's a weird tie up: Racing cars and golf clubs. The use of carbon fibre for club heads appears to be driven entirely by fashion. I can't think of a single possible advantage of CF over metal. I mean, isn't the requirement for a club head be that it's hard, stiff and heavy?

Just done a bit more reading and the forged stuff is made with chopped mat. It's the mass-production answer to hand laid fibre and while it's better at forming intricate shapes and fine details it is not as strong as proper, directional fibre.

I'm no golfer, but drivers wouldn't have evolved to having carbon shafts and hollow titanium heads if being heavy helped.... Having a club you can accelerate quicker to get to the ball at a higher speed, and stiff but springy club face that launches the ball seems to be what works better.... Or they would still be using actual woods?

True, looking back the stuff about Callaway did specifically refer to drivers and I was thinking of irons and woods. I'm not much of a golfer - on the rare occasion I do play there's usually a lot of beer involved...

I can't remember the last time I played golf. I have always had a bad slice, lefty too. I did go mini putting with the children last year, but they are getting up there now, ones going into their teens.

Punx0r said:
I can't think of a single possible advantage of CF over metal. I mean, isn't the requirement for a club head be that it's hard, stiff and heavy?

Far less chance of bending/warping. Carbon fiber does its' best distorting in the first few hours.

Advise them about their oil pans/sumps that are carbon fiber, too. Not just Maserati, the oil industry needs to be warned about using composite pipelines, plugs that are easier to drill out/etc., oh the offshore drilling that is in danger from carbon fiber.

https://www.compositesworld.com/articles/carbon-fiberpeek-take-hydraulic-pump-to-new-depths

http://www.jeccomposites.com/knowledge/international-composites-news/high-performance-pvdf-carbon-fiber-composite-tape-oil-and

Back