HS3540 BOSS BUILD. Now H4065 Boss Build

sacko said:
Trackman417 said:
I wish I had a better/ more practical way to charge 24s of battery's to get the motor up to 40mph.

24s 10ah removed from the bike as was re-doing some wiring.

24s Charger £100 delivered from BMS Battery - http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/457-alloy-shell-900w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
24s BMS £40 from Bestech - http://bestechpower.com/888v24spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D131.html

Hey thanks for the info sacko. I was looking at your build and was pretty jealous to see you using a BMS and bulk charger on (what I think) is your first build. I was looking into the BMS that you got and remember reading that the thing gets HOT. I bet its only if its balancing a real unbalanced pack?
Then you also have GCinDC's approach. Get a sine wave controller/bms in the same package along with a really cool display 8) . That's what I might be interested in in the near future.

Hope you get what you want MagicPie3. If you end up running a crystalyte motor, I think you may have to change your domain on this forum do to false advertising. :wink:

I went for a ride the other day and heard a POP right after I gunned the throttle. Thank god I heard the sound and was curious enough to pull over into someones drive way. My fear was one of the suspension linkages just snapped after abusing such a light bike, would've been cool because then I would have an excuse to try out a new frame that is in the works :wink: . But it wasn't the frame :( . It was the hose clamp holding the torque arm that snapped.
broken hose clamp.jpg
I ended up limping back home with the second torque arm in place. I tried remembering where a spare hoseclamp was, but it wasn't in my toolbox. After looking for a minute or two I find it on my night table :mrgreen: . Great place to put spare hose clamps. Ended up with a rather cautious ride because I don't want to see another hose clamp break. After the ride , I ordered one of migueralliart's torque arms. It's due here tomorrow :D

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Why not bolt the torque arm to the brake caliper bolt?

migueralliart's torque arms bolt to the caliper clamp via extend caliper bolts. I bought to of his arms for a potential commuter build I am planning on doing way way down the line. His parts are pure beauty. Check out his website. http://www.EVworksLAB.com

Trackman, I don't know why you waited this long to bet Mig torquarms. Get the one in the pic, with this arm design, this one puts the least amount of torque forces on your brake mount and maximizes mechanical leverage against the axle from spinning.

Rick

Attachments

• torque arm1.jpg
    torque arm1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,164
Yup you are right.
but this can handle the H405 torque? how much newton does it has at 72V?

Off the top of my head, running 72 volts at 100 amps, got to be 180 NM or higher with a 26mtb wheel. I think the arm would hold and the axle would twist and brake before the torque arm failed. They are that nice.

Rick

Rix said:
Trackman, I don't know why you waited this long to bet Mig torquarms. Get the one in the pic, with this arm design, this one puts the least amount of torque forces on your brake mount and maximizes mechanical leverage against the axle from spinning.

Rick
hehe. Yeah, about that :mrgreen: . If I don't need to spend money on a part or I don't think it is necessary, I wont buy it until I have some left over cash :oops: . I think what really killed the hose clamp was my start at the bottom of a terribly steep grass hill and gun it :twisted: . I got to the top of the hill, but the next day the hose clamp popped. :(
I got the exact opposite one rix. If the empty space was filled with metal, I would have bought that one, but since there is a thin line going from the axle to the mounts, I opted against getting that one. I would imagine there being quite a bit of flexing on that particular torque arm. I don't think the short torque arm will put much stress on the mounts because of the second torque arm on the other side, which will have two hose clamps securing the thing into place.

I think the short one will put more stress on the caliper mount because its shorter and mechanical advantage being polar oposite against the Caliper, but I don't think it matters because the caliper bracket is designed to lock up the wheel and stop it. But wait untill you get it. They are super sano and neither the short or long one will flex.

Rick

Rix said:
I think the short one will put more stress on the caliper mount because its shorter and mechanical advantage being polar oposite against the Caliper, but I don't think it matters because the caliper bracket is designed to lock up the wheel and stop it. But wait untill you get it. They are super sano and neither the short or long one will flex.

Rick
you have some very valid points rick. But I already got the short stubby one, let's see if it doesn't break. If it does break, for what ever reason, I'll get the long one. You bought these, right?

Yes, I purchased both of them. One of my future projects is a low powered ligh weight geared set up down the road and this will be used for that.

Rick

Rix said:
Yup you are right.
but this can handle the H405 torque? how much newton does it has at 72V?

Off the top of my head, running 72 volts at 100 amps, got to be 180 NM or higher with a 26mtb wheel. I think the arm would hold and the axle would twist and brake before the torque arm failed. They are that nice.

Rick

Thank you!
Waauuww I am impressed 180 NM or higher :mrgreen:

Pics to come of the new found problem and solution of these new torque arms.
First glances
So far, these things are freaking beefy! They are just about as thick as the ebikes.ca torque arms. It took a tiny bit of dremmeling to fit the axle, but its as tight as the ebike.ca torque arm. The one problem I have, in order for the torque arm to hold onto the axle while being attached to the disc mount, it twists the axle so much so that I cannot use the torque arm as I planned on the other side.
I would definitely hate to play the game of "Will it hold" but I may try slightly higher power with the single torque arm and pray it doesn't rip the disc mount right off the bike.
I'll upload pics of the new torque arm and the new problem later.

Just got to get creative with the torque arm on the other side. This may involve cutting some extra steel flat bars and custom bending them to attach to the frame and the torque arm handle, but it can be done. Jay and I fudged my dads on his conversion and it worked great.

Rick

Rix said:
Just got to get creative with the torque arm on the other side. This may involve cutting some extra steel flat bars and custom bending them to attach to the frame and the torque arm handle, but it can be done. Jay and I fudged my dads on his conversion and it worked great.

Rick
I actually don't think I will need a second torque arm, unless I go with more power.
I am finally dorming at RIT where me and grindz are looking to meet up. Just joined the ev club and they are looking into making an electric bike for the club alongside their electric super bike that will race in the TTGXP. Let's hope all goes well.

Looks like I won't be riding the bike for some time though :cry: . The next time I come home will be November. X-mas time will begin the start of a month long break. Then it's back to school. After that, I have a scheduled co-op over the summer. I can't see me riding the bike for any time longer then a half month for two years :shock: . Thank god I disconnected the power cables to the controller or my batteries would have been sitting ducks. Might have to part the bike out. Will see what happens before that happens. Maybe I can find a way to haul it up here to Rochester? Eh, who knows. If anything comes out of me selling the bike will be a decent chunk of cash to start off building another bike :mrgreen: .

Trackman417 said:
Rix said:

Rick
I actually don't think I will need a second torque arm, unless I go with more power.
I am finally dorming at RIT where me and grindz are looking to meet up. Just joined the ev club and they are looking into making an electric bike for the club alongside their electric super bike that will race in the TTGXP. Let's hope all goes well.

Looks like I won't be riding the bike for some time though :cry: . The next time I come home will be November. X-mas time will begin the start of a month long break. Then it's back to school. After that, I have a scheduled co-op over the summer. I can't see me riding the bike for any time longer then a half month for two years :shock: . Thank god I disconnected the power cables to the controller or my batteries would have been sitting ducks. Might have to part the bike out. Will see what happens before that happens. Maybe I can find a way to haul it up here to Rochester? Eh, who knows. If anything comes out of me selling the bike will be a decent chunk of cash to start off building another bike :mrgreen: .

Yes, only sell your bike if you have plans for a newer and better build. Otherwise you could go by the way side for years before you have an Ebike again. Good luck in school

Rick

Rix said:
Yes, only sell your bike if you have plans for a newer and better build. Otherwise you could go by the way side for years before you have an Ebike again. Good luck in school

Rick

Yeah very true and valid point. WIll only sell the bike if I need a good chunk of money.
In the mean time, this thread will most likely be put to rest until August or so. Still need to check out the status of my co-op situation and what not.
Keep in touch Rick, you were great help with me getting the 4065 and such. I can't thank you enough. We need to talk sometime this week after labor day though :wink: .

Trackman417 said:
Rix said:

Rick

Yeah very true and valid point. WIll only sell the bike if I need a good chunk of money.
In the mean time, this thread will most likely be put to rest until August or so. Still need to check out the status of my co-op situation and what not.
Keep in touch Rick, you were great help with me getting the 4065 and such. I can't thank you enough. We need to talk sometime this week after labor day though :wink: .

Back at you, yah, got cut off last time do to the suck going down at work. I hate 10-79s. No problems with the 4065. Your next build should have a 5405 or cromo though. Go big or go back home, after you are done with school of course.

Rick

It's been just about a year and half since I finally started dumping money into the bike and started following ES again. I feel like I missed a lot of action and, well, I actually did miss a lot of action :D .

A couple updates about the bike.
It now has 4 6s 16aH Multi-star batteries that are all put into series. I quite literally doubled my pack size and now I feel like I can go anywhere :D .

For starters, after I finally received the multi-stars, I never checked how(or if) they would fit in the frame. So, I had to finagle the batteries to fit in the triangle. This would have been a great option, if I wanted the batteries to last me only the summer. So, after one ride I called in quits to try and find me a legitimate way to hold the batteries.
View attachment no room =(.pdf

After a couple PM's with litespeed, I ended up buying his old fork mounted case setup. The funny thing was, even that litespeed was shipping two almost indestructible items, he has more packaging foam in this box than what hobby king put in their boxes to ship $111 batteries.
View attachment insane packaging.pdf

After a good hour and a half working around with how I wanted to really set-up the mount and case, here is the end result:
View attachment front mounted batteries.pdf

The handling isn't that bad with all the weight up front, especially with the forks on their most firm setting. The fork mounted case does take some getting used to though.

The one issue I have been having with the bike in this setup is that the regen will only work intermittently and the throttle will stop working. The throttle and regain work great for the first 10 minutes of my ride, but after everything gets warmed up that's when things start heading south. I'm thinking that sometime tomorrow I will take the throttle accessories off one by one to see if one those may be the issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Looks good! It takes all of about two hard rides to get used to the weight on the forks. I had 16---6s 5000 packs in there so I know weight on the forks if you remember.

Have fun riding again.

Tom

You're back Rob, glad to see it. I don't think your throttle/regen issue is from a short. Otherwise it wouldn't wait until your motor and controller are warm, do you have a temp sensor? If yes, that's where I would check first.

Rix said:
You're back Rob, glad to see it. I don't think your throttle/regen issue is from a short. Otherwise it wouldn't wait until your motor and controller are warm, do you have a temp sensor? If yes, that's where I would check first.

I do have a temp sensor, however I never hooked it up. So it mine as well be non-existent.
I'm going to have a crack at it when I get back from work. I think its my 3-speed potentiometer switch that's causing the trouble. Ever since I got the throttle regulator from zombiess, the three-speed switch has been acting a little funky.

I've also been eye-balling these frames. They aren't too bike nor are they really expensive either. It sure would be a big upgrade from my Sport Authority Bike that I feel a little unsafe on. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Denzel-Sparts-Frame-Set/32396377346.html
The weight of the frame and how far the BB is above the ground is killer but, it's not like I/anyone will actually be pedaling these things.

Back