HS3540 BOSS BUILD. Now H4065 Boss Build

How's your tyre pressure? That gets me often as I use a hand pump and its hard to tell what the pressure is without a gauge.
Edit... quote to show wtf were talking about ;)

Trackman417 said:
hmmmm.
Seems as though something may be wrong with my motor or the pots in the throttle tamer or turning rather slowly. On my commute home tonight, I experienced a lower then usual top speed which is now just about 33mph on flat road, instead of 35 mph. Climbing hills, now brings my top speed to about 30mph instead of the usual 33 mph.
I really would hate to think that I have demagnetized my magnets. That would be a bummer :( . Not only that, that means that the 3540 would have held out longer than the 4065. Which is totally week and contrary to why I even bought the 4065. I will run the motor without the tamer and see if I get the same top speed. If so, that would relieve me from a fair amount of grief and trouble.

In other news. I just closed up the seafood department took my bike out and realized I forgot to do something. Ended up seeing the bike on the other side of the counter and decided to snap a shot of it because of how cool I think it looked :mrgreen: .

Yes Rob, that was a cool pic of your bike at work. Ramping up for a SWAT raid at work. I may be deploying my Bomber before the hit for last minute intel purposes. If the raid goes down, I will take a pic of me and my Bomber in full battle rattle gear.

Rick

pendragon8000 said:
How's your tyre pressure? That gets me often as I use a hand pump and its hard to tell what the pressure is without a gauge.
Edit... quote to show wtf were talking about ;)
Needs some adjusting :roll: . The tire pressure is pretty good since I rode these tires for damn near 700 miles and almost no leaks, I am pretty happy with them. Need to get me a tire pump or something. I think I am starting to piss off my LBS :mrgreen: because I always go to them when my front tire needs air.

Rix said:
Yes Rob, that was a cool pic of your bike at work. Ramping up for a SWAT raid at work. I may be deploying my Bomber before the hit for last minute intel purposes. If the raid goes down, I will take a pic of me and my Bomber in full battle rattle gear.

Rick
Rick, you better get as much footage of the action as possible. I have a feeling that the pic will be really epic 8) .
Good luck, stay safe, and don't do anything I wouldn't do :D
Also took your advice on opening up the hub motor. There is very minimal rust spots, small and very light. I couldn't pull the cover right off, so I got some wood shims and the back side of a hammer and slowly raised the cover off the bearing. Everything looked brand new, despite me getting the cover hot enough to make my hand feel rather uncomfortable. But never the less, here are some pics :D .
open H4065.jpg
open H40652.jpg

I see you got your cover off. The holes in the center of the stator can you see the other side cover through them?. If so, just drill vent holes without disassembly further. Also, vacume out the drill shavings completely. Frill out the cover you have removed, Spray a bunch of T9 Boeshield in there and re-assemble. Will send post a pic of the 5403 vented.

Rix said:
I see you got your cover off. The holes in the center of the stator can you see the other side cover through them?. If so, just drill vent holes without disassembly further. Also, vacume out the drill shavings completely. Frill out the cover you have removed, Spray a bunch of T9 Boeshield in there and re-assemble. Will send post a pic of the 5403 vented.
Ehh, dont think I ail be drilling holes just yet. Just because of the minimal amount of rust in it. As a precautionary measure, I sealed the motor up with some dielectric grease on the wire side. Now half as much water will get into the hub, right? :p
Thanks for the pics though. I'm sure they will be needed when I do decide to drill the covers. My one question I have is, how would you know where to space each hole?
Still cant believe the motor still looks perfect on the inside. That thing got HOT on some of my trips. Guess I may need to ramp up the power with a lyen 12 fet or something? Anybody have one they are looking to sell :?: :wink:

Magicpie, The 3540 and 4065 have different winds and the 4065 has a 5mm wider stator 35mm vs 40mm. The 3540 and the 4080 have about the same wind but the 4080 also has a 5mm wider stator so for the same volts/amp, it will pull a little harder given wheel size the same. The 3540 is measured by KH with a 26" wheel @ 36 volts and the 4080 is measured for KH at 72 volts with a 26" wheel. For all intensive purposes, the 3540 is a 3580 @ 72 volts and the 4080 is a 4040 at 36 volts. Let me know if your are really confused now. :mrgreen: :?:
Rick

MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER said:
Looks good your build!
And nice motor!

Any diffrences between HS3540 and HS4065?

Rix just threw some rock hard facts at you. How do you feel, enlightened? :D
Now it's my turn to throw some facts about how each motor handles. The 3540's no load speed on 20s is around 60 mph so on a downhill section, you will be ripping up the road at around 50mph. On flat ground the motor will be topping out at around 40mph, with no wind resistance. You will he eating tons of amps as well, around 40 amps in any WOT application. You will not be able to do a wheelie with this thing unless you feel like giving a big ole yank on the handle bars with combined WOT.
The 4065 has more torque standing still and will bring the front end up in just about any situation. Its speed on a flat on 20s is about 35 mph. Unlike the 3540 where it's speed going downhill increases 10mph or so, the 4065's speed increases to 37 mph. Not so hot. You will be more conservative with energy as well; cruising at a cool 35mph using 17 amps. That's very nice :D .
I would choose the 4065 over the 3540 any day just because of the shear fun this thing is at lower rpm. I wish I had a better/ more practical way to charge 24s of battery's to get the motor up to 40mph, which is the typical speed limit around here.
I just read the 4065 can fit in a standard 135mm dropout with a 5 speed freewheel. So you are good.

Edit: sorry for bad grammar and spelling. Typing on my iPhone because I'm on vacation up in Maine :wink:

Thanks for more info!
Hmmm more hard rocks on me now!

I have still two spare HS's to use (HT3525 and HS3540).
Yup your are right when riding at 55 km/h man the HS3540 eats a lot power.... :oops:
And gets super hot.......and the voltage is just 48V :shock:

Where can I buy this HS40XX motor?
What is the name of this motor in Ebikes simulator?

Magic pie,

The H40XXs aren't on the simulator. There is no equivalent for the 4065, but the 4080 can be "guesstimated" with the 5403 as far as potential performance goes with voltages amps combos. It won't be exact, and the 5403 will tolerate current much longer than the 4080 before overheating so keep that in mind, but you will get a "ballpark" Idea what he 4080 would do by using the 5403 in the ebike simulator simulator.

Rick

This is true, the H40xx run about 100 bucks more than the H35xx series, but they are that much better. Just ask my buddy Trackman, he has had both motors and can tell you from personal experience.

Trackman, got some ideas floating in my head, give me a call.

Rick

pendragon8000 said:
Thanks for the info Trackman, its especially useful at this stage with no 40xx motors on ebikes.CA/simulator .
Do you know the weight difference? I suspect its 3kg or so.
In the precious pages in my thread, I made a point to weigh the 4065.... With a seafood scale so I know its accurate :mrgreen: . Its right around 17.11 pounds. I dont know how much the 3500 series motors weigh, but I don't think it will be a noticeable weight difference.

Thanks for more info!
Hmmm more hard rocks on me now!

I have still two spare HS's to use (HT3525 and HS3540).
Yup your are right when riding at 55 km/h man the HS3540 eats a lot power.... :oops:
And gets super hot.......and the voltage is just 48V :shock:

Where can I buy this HS40XX motor?
What is the name of this motor in Ebikes simulator?
I bought mine through electricrider.com, who did the actual talking to kenny.
These aren't on the simulator and by the looks of it, they wont be for a while if at all.

Thanks!

I like the idea to run fast in cold condition... :mrgreen:
Hmmm it seems the price for this motor is 100% more then HS/HT motor waauww :shock:
Not really :wink: . If you buy the 4060 from ebikessf.com, you will find it is cheaper than getting the 3540 from ebikes.ca. Unless if ebikes.ca lowered their prices.
Yeah.... I am convinced now!

I will first burning the spare motors before buying this nice motor :lol:

Thank you for help!
If I were you, I would sell the spare motors and get some money out of them instead of burning them up. The money from the spare motors could cover a good chunk of getting the H40 motor. Would hate to see you just kill a motor just because.

Also forgot to post a picture of my brother and sister from our trip up to Maine :p
Looks like there is another form of police around Rick. You guys might be in for some competition from the fun police, or more adequately named the Sex Police :mrgreen:
Sex Police.jpg
Sex Police2.jpg
'MERICCA 8) :lol:

Rix said:
I am sensing a career change in my Law Enforcement Future. :lol:

I hear the training is really difficult. Must be part of the occupation lol.

Trackman417 said:
Rix said:
I am sensing a career change in my Law Enforcement Future. :lol:

I hear the training is really difficult. Must be part of the occupation lol.

Yah, training and certifications must be a bugger, and on top of that, wonder what the credential requirements are?

Rick

Trackman417 said:
I wish I had a better/ more practical way to charge 24s of battery's to get the motor up to 40mph.

24s 10ah removed from the bike as was re-doing some wiring.

24s Charger £100 delivered from BMS Battery - http://www.bmsbattery.com/alloy-shell/457-alloy-shell-900w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.html
24s BMS £40 from Bestech - http://bestechpower.com/888v24spcmbmspcbforli-ionli-polymerbatterypack/PCM-D131.html

Thats a rough price delivered, but it definitely wasn't far off that. Check out my thread on it..

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=49820

I have also changed the link in the above post, that one shows all the data of it.

Back