• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

HS3540 BOSS BUILD. Now H4065 Boss Build

Trackman417 said:
Alrighty
So far I am 2-0 when it comes to racing mopeds :mrgreen: .
I went into my LBS to see if they had a tire that matched my rear tire, since I like things to match. And they were pulling out the titanic of all mopeds out of their shop. My only comment was how massive the thing was and the guy responded with; "It's the fastest moped I have ever riden"....... My thoughts were to see if his comment was actually true, I asked him to race my bike :mrgreen: .
Long story short, I end up tailing him until we find a red light to let the drag race of the century begin. The light turns green and I am easing into the throttle, so I don't land on my ass, and the guy looks like he is just standing still. I end up waiting for him at the next red light and same story. I had to get some stuff done at my bank so I after the second drag race, I wait for him at the side of the road and his only comment was "This thing is so slow."... I think I may have destroyed his confidence in what he thought was the fastest moped he ever road.
On another note, I found an app called "Strava Cycling". It's where all these cyclists go out on set portions of road and their phone logs how fast they did the portions of road in and ranks them on a leader board. Sounds innocent enough..... Until I find that some "cyclist" went 41 mph down a stretch of road that is right behind me. :twisted: . That road is long and straight, but it is not flat enough to be riding a road bicycle with puny tires and frame, 41mph down there. I have another set of batteries I can hook up in series for 98.4 volts hot off the charger to beat this guy :twisted: . I guess the H4065 does need a good break in 8). It never does get too warm from any of the 3kw I throw at it so how about 4kw?
Before I do get series the other battery pack and race this guy, how likely is it that a cyclist can keep 40mph?

That's one fast cyclist trackman. He would give me a run on the Bomber.

Migueralliart, just ordered a couple of different torque arms from you for an up an coming build I may start this year or not. 1004. Cant wait to see them.

Rick

migueralliart said:
It could've been a motorcycle. I think all these apps do is use the GPS to make the calculations.

That motor must be a BEAST! Enjoy it buddy.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing here. I am afraid to go down that road with out atleast front suspension, let alone thin tires and a hard tail. Motorcycle or maybe even a car? Who knows

That's one fast cyclist trackman. He would give me a run on the Bomber.
Its got to be Lance Armstrong.

Just got the new front wheel and hopefully by Wednesday, everything should be in good working order and on my bike :mrgreen: . I hate how things look smaller/bigger in pictures then they do in real life. These forks are just downright, heavy and on steroids compared to my forks I have right now.
New front end.jpg
They just scream bad ass. I am surprised my friends haven't stole the forks yet :lol: .

I am also looking into getting Zombiess' throttle tamer. It looks like a must have component for those running high powered set ups. I am not a big fan of a twitchy throttle :cry: I bought methods three speed switch which helps but not a lot. It will help with even finer resolution though :mrgreen:

Just a suggestion, before you go toning down the throttle response, see if the forks help with control. I love my Bomber, but would love a throttle that would hit down low hard so I would have to work at keeping the front wheel on the ground. Oh well.

Rick

Hey Trackman,

where did you buy your 4065 from?

When are you going to buy a cycle analyst? Do you still think it needs more progress?

Rix said:
Just a suggestion, before you go toning down the throttle response, see if the forks help with control. I love my Bomber, but would love a throttle that would hit down low hard so I would have to work at keeping the front wheel on the ground. Oh well.

Rick

Riding it home, I still felt it needed some sort of throttle tuning. It is not as needed, but still needed lol. Even with the fork at its softest setting and with a huge knobby tire up front. Need to take some photos but the weather has not been good at all for the past couple days. No riding no nothing. Hopefully memorial day will be a better day for pics and some riding 8) .

EdwardNY said:
Hey Trackman,

where did you buy your 4065 from?

When are you going to buy a cycle analyst? Do you still think it needs more progress?

I bought the 4065 from electricrider.com. They do not sell the motor as part of their kits, but they did not have a problem special ordering the motor for me. A little please and thank you goes a long way :wink: . However it did take a month for them to order and get the motor and then ship it to my house. If you are not interested in waiting a month buy one from ebikessf.com. Illia sells them for about $60 more than what I paid.

I already have a Cycle Analyst. I have the CA V 2.3 or 2.2? I can't remember, I'll tell you when the weather gets better. But it works like a charm and I would not consider buying the CA v3 just because of my lack of understanding. I would not be able to use the CA v3 for what its worth. Atleast not yet. I may end up selling the bike by the end of July so I do not need to keep spending money and time on upgrades; except the throttle tamer, the people buying the bike will need it :wink: .
I may start a new build thread, when I graduate college, where I copy everything Hillzofalp did and convert a rather unsuspicious looking moped and use one of John in CR's super ultra power plasma spitting motors. But we will see what new, and hopefully awesome, technology comes out in 2 years time :wink: .

Trackman417 said:
...I may start a new build thread, when I graduate college, where I copy everything Hillzofalp did and convert a rather unsuspicious looking moped and use one of John in CR's super ultra power plasma spitting motors. But we will see what new, and hopefully awesome, technology comes out in 2 years time :wink: .

We'll have special frames long before 2 years, and AFAIC the goal for total bike weight with Hubmonster is 150lb or less including the battery. My SuperV is 137lb with about 10 extra pounds on the swingarm than HoV's Farfle swingarm, and I've got 2.2kwh. Shoot for significantly less all up weight with rider than my 400lb so you can enjoy staggering performance with no system stress. For 9 months I was running 16kw peak at 74V nominal and I was right at the limit running a stock motor with 65mph top speed, and sure performance was incredible, but power to weight is everything and 50lb less makes a big. If you don't believe me, put 50lb in a backpack and go ride your bike.

If you're a more normal weight person, then you can build a stronger bike closer to a moto, but with some lighter components that motorcycle companies can never use because they sell to the general public...stronger but still much lighter than my all up load. Follow Farfle's lead in that regard, because he's definitely on the right track.

John

John in CR said:
We'll have special frames long before 2 years, and AFAIC the goal for total bike weight with Hubmonster is 150lb or less including the battery. My SuperV is 137lb with about 10 extra pounds on the swingarm than HoV's Farfle swingarm, and I've got 2.2kwh. Shoot for significantly less all up weight with rider than my 400lb so you can enjoy staggering performance with no system stress. For 9 months I was running 16kw peak at 74V nominal and I was right at the limit running a stock motor with 65mph top speed, and sure performance was incredible, but power to weight is everything and 50lb less makes a big. If you don't believe me, put 50lb in a backpack and go ride your bike.

If you're a more normal weight person, then you can build a stronger bike closer to a moto, but with some lighter components that motorcycle companies can never use because they sell to the general public...stronger but still much lighter than my all up load. Follow Farfle's lead in that regard, because he's definitely on the right track.

John
I think me and my bike are a TOTAL of around 200-250 pounds :p . I weigh 140 and I can pick my bike up above me with a good amount of effort. I am not very big on getting the lightest components. Just the components that are the best with the money I have. Yeah farfle is a good role model, I am a big fan of what he does. Pretty jealous of what he has accomplished as well. Him and HOZ are pretty good role models. I think we do pretty good for our age group with promoting what ebikes can do... for our age :p . I am pretty happy that I am doing this stuff while I am still young so it isnt much of a culture shock later on as ebikes become more standard.

In other news: I have some delayed pics for you guys. :wink:
The new front fork looks boss and it performs beautifully,
new front end 5.jpg
new front end 4.jpg
On my Memorial day ride around town, I taped a flag to the fork.
'merica.jpg
Also got a bulk charger. Damn this thing is dense! But it is in a more compact package than the icharger and meanwell power supply so I will not complain. Should be able to keep charging time much shorter than usual. I will also be able to wake up later to charge the bike before opening the seafood department. What is not to love?! :mrgreen:
charger.jpg
Ignore that ugly kid in the back ground :p

Would also like to than ian.mich, whom I ordered the charger from. He set me up with the same supplier that High power cycles uses and the charger got shipped one week after payment from Hong Kong and made it to my house within three days. Not too bad being that it cost less then BMSBattery and took a lot shorter of a time frame to get the charger here. I also know the charger will work after getting it, so what's not to love? :p

Sweet ride and sweet bulk charger. 250 for you and your bike. I am at about 356-360 bike and rider weight combined. Put 100 pounds on your front fork and your wheelie problem is a thing of the past.

Rick

What made you upgrade your fork? I thought the general consensus was that you need to keep similar travel as your original forks or what your bike was designed for. Is it not too much travel or limit your turning any? Does it make a big difference and worth the upgrade to go with a double crown fork like that?

What is the wattage of that bulk charger?

Rix said:
Sweet ride and sweet bulk charger. 250 for you and your bike. I am at about 356-360 bike and rider weight combined. Put 100 pounds on your front fork and your wheelie problem is a thing of the past.

Rick
So I am narrowing down on the weight and 250 is too much. I went to the gym yesterday and lifted 85 pounds worth of weight.... And there was no way my bike is 85 pounds, I was reaching my limit with the 85 pound weights rather quickly, so I will put the bike at maybe 55-70 pounds now. So that would bring me and the bike somewhere near 210.

EdwardNY said:
What made you upgrade your fork? I thought the general consensus was that you need to keep similar travel as your original forks or what your bike was designed for. Is it not too much travel or limit your turning any? Does it make a big difference and worth the upgrade to go with a double crown fork like that?

What is the wattage of that bulk charger?
Yeah, that was the case originally. But it was too good an offer to miss. The original forks were Walmart quality and I would not know if they were suspension forks if I road blind folded over small bumps in the road. They did not do there job rather well. The RST R1's do limit my turning radius but that's only when I steering the bike while I am walking. Even at 8 mph, I can't even get close to turning the bike to where the fork stops me from turning. There is a huge difference in the quality of the ride. It feels like a giant cushion up front, which is amazing :mrgreen:
The charger puts out 574 watts. (82v 7amps)

On a side note. I got confirmation from Kenny that there is a 2K temp sensor in that motor. That silly hyena guy was right :p One leg of the sensor is connected to the +5V hall wire. That's the red wire, right?
Any ideas on a temp monitor for the sensor? I try looking it up but I get nothing. I definately would not want to open the motor because I know I will screw something up. If I do open the motor up, any idea on a 10K temp monitor other than the CA v3?

Just bought a 5404 with a scooter casing bolted onto it.... hehe worlds greatest temptation at such a great price. I am looking for a motor casing with a flange on it for lacing it to a moped or bike rim. If anybody has any suggestions as to who has one or where I should look, it would be greatly appreciated. Right now my friend is curious to see how fast we can make his stock electric scooter go :twisted: .
Here is a pic of the beat I bought:

Weird ass axle though, anybody have any idea what the axle is there for? I looked it up and it certainly isnt a standard electric scooter axle.

Rix said:
That is a weird axle. Definitely was intended for Ebicycles.

Rick
I'll try to make it work :wink:
If not, I know my friend would make good use out of this motor.

I finally got Zombies throttle tamer up an running. Most importantly, it works as advertised and I can not do an unintentional wheelie. Instead of a twitchy throttle at take off with linear ramp rate, there is a surging of power at WOT. Felt rather weird at first and then I realized I could not do a wheelie. Now I feel that I need to get the bike running at 24s full time now. The speed limits around here are 35mph but speed limits are for tourists :p . Depending on the road, people can be doing anything from 5-10mph above the speed limit. After watching hyenas clip of the 4065 in action at 24s and talking with Rix we surmised that the 4065 will be capable of 46-47 mph because of the 26 inch rim. Not too bad because my 3540 would max out at 45mph and use a good 3500 watts, the 4065 will probably use a cool 3000 watts of power at this speed. Whats not to love? :p

Exactly! Whats not to love. I think running 24s at 40 amps would be a great and reliable combo for your 4065 and 26 inch rims. Because of your light weight and the light weight of your machine, 4000Watts will run like a bat outof hell and not be over volting/current things much at all. Hyena was seeing 78KPH (47-48MPH) with his 4065 on 24 MTBs, There is a possibility of you could be breaking 50MPH with the narrow 26s you are running. but a gaurenteed 46-47MPH is a definate. Cant wait to hear about after you get it going.

Rick

Rix said:
Exactly! Whats not to love. I think running 24s at 40 amps would be a great and reliable combo for your 4065 and 26 inch rims. Because of your light weight and the light weight of your machine, 4000Watts will run like a bat outof hell and not be over volting/current things much at all. Hyena was seeing 78KPH (47-48MPH) with his 4065 on 24 MTBs, There is a possibility of you could be breaking 50MPH with the narrow 26s you are running. but a gaurenteed 46-47MPH is a definate. Cant wait to hear about after you get it going.

Rick

Yeah that did not happen when I ran the 4065 at 100volts today. I was just scraping 42mph at WOT. hmmm, I think my three speed throttle switch may be interfering with something, either that or my circumference on the CA is out of wack.
So much for a guaranteed 46mph :p
Need to get my charging situation set up though. It is not, as you say, efficient. Pics to come tomorrow. Get ready to start critiquing on how much of a trip hazard my set up is :p .

Trackman417 said:
Rix said:
Rick
Yeah that did not happen when I ran the 4065 at 100volts today. I was just scraping 42mph at WOT. hmmm, I think my three speed throttle switch may be interfering with something, either that or my circumference on the CA is out of wack.
So much for a guaranteed 46mph :p
Need to get my charging situation set up though. It is not, as you say, efficient. Pics to come tomorrow. Get ready to start critiquing on how much of a trip hazard my set up is :p .

There could be other factors going on here, Possibly your CA wheel mm setting is off, or the 3sp switch. Did you verify your top speed with GPS? That would be the best.

Rick

looks like my top speed was good. Hyena was also using %120 timing on the motor. Our unloaded speeds where just about the same. I am not complaining. I am happy that I can keep up with traffic now and stay in the middle of the road.

100 volts and 42MPH, I would have to say that the 4065 has the exact same stator wind turn count as the 5405 then and the 5403 would be the same as the 4080. That's makes sense.

Rick

Rix said:
100 volts and 42MPH, I would have to say that the 4065 has the exact same stator wind turn count as the 5405 then and the 5403 would be the same as the 4080. That's makes sense.

Rick

Could be. I kind of miss being able to go 40mph without running 100volts. Idk but I just don't like it. Running 100volts makes opening up my triangle bag look like its full of intestines and such. Charging is nice and slow as well because I have to parallel charge. I am too lazy to adjust the charger. I need to trim down some of my harness to help make it look neater. I have about 1.5 feet of wire coming out of each set of two batteries. I bet there is room for some improvement :D .
I might think about getting a 4080 or so. I am tired of not being able to keep up with traffic. I feel like a complaining bitch lol. :oops:
ehh we will find out what will happen in the near future.

LoL trackman so much anticipation for 47mph, and then SPLAT !......

why you got the 4065 instead of 4080 if you wanted 47mph to keep with the traffic ?

what's your no load speed 100-110kmh ?

what was your amp draw at constant max load speed when you 'almost' (backround gigles) kept up with the traffic ?

scriewy said:
LoL trackman so much anticipation for 47mph, and then SPLAT !......

why you got the 4065 instead of 4080 if you wanted 47mph to keep with the traffic ?
If you look at 65kph and convert it to mph you find it is right around 40mph :p . Now, I know that the naming convention is skewed by a couple km/h for the 40 series motors.

scriewy said:
what's your no load speed 100-110kmh ?
My no load speed is 45mph, at 80 volts, which is 72kph. Which is real good, when you think about it. Compared the H3540 that had a no load speed of around 60mph and lost 20mph of its top speed when loaded. The 4065 only lost 10mph.

scriewy said:
what was your amp draw at constant max load speed when you 'almost' (backround gigles) kept up with the traffic ?
At 84 volts my top speed is 37 mph and my amp draw is around 16 amps or so. At 100 volts the amp draw at top speed is 27 amps.
Getting the 4080 would seem to solve all my problems, but I don't want to deal with getting a new motor laced and what not, not when I am unsure about weather or not I can take it to college.

hmmmm.
Seems as though something may be wrong with my motor or the pots in the throttle tamer or turning rather slowly. On my commute home tonight, I experienced a lower then usual top speed which is now just about 33mph on flat road, instead of 35 mph. Climbing hills, now brings my top speed to about 30mph instead of the usual 33 mph.
I really would hate to think that I have demagnetized my magnets. That would be a bummer :( . Not only that, that means that the 3540 would have held out longer than the 4065. Which is totally week and contrary to why I even bought the 4065. I will run the motor without the tamer and see if I get the same top speed. If so, that would relieve me from a fair amount of grief and trouble.

In other news. I just closed up the seafood department took my bike out and realized I forgot to do something. Ended up seeing the bike on the other side of the counter and decided to snap a shot of it because of how cool I think it looked :mrgreen: .

Back