Hybrid bicycle?

adobian

10 W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOc1cGdJiw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6c3gLLagX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E31PpB08AV0&playnext=1&list=PL190BBE26451727D1

27lbs, 1000W for 12 hours before refueling.

Can this replace your battery? Hybrid bike. Gas generator powering hub motor.

That's what the Chevy Volt do right?

Well you could but whats the point, if you want to strap one of these to the back of your e-bike you might as well just buy a 2 stroke and become a gasser.

well if u got a lipo setup what i did once was use one to charge my packs its on a bike a built for a customer the genarator slides in the body of the ebike scooter its had crazy range results also nice tip was it ran as it charged so it dosent draw as many amps in thoes crazy areas i can see thiss working for a plated bike converted to ev hybrid will get good milage to

You can do a similar thing with a honda EU 1000. The rub is the units 50 pound weight. A gas engine on a bike weighs a lot less for one. I have an older honda 700w generator, that weighs nearly 100 pounds full of gas. Riding along with it in the basket of a trike did work, but it really slowed the trike down packing an extra 100 pounds.

I would love to see a 15 pound, 350 watt generator. Something just able to run a medium fast charger. Then you would have real range extension without the weight penalty. Say you were charging at 4 amps, and cruising using 10 or so. You should be able to ride without running the battery down till about lunchtime. By after a longish lunch, ready to ride at least 3-4 more hours. Then recharge completely by bedtime.

But even out here in the west, you can find a plug at least every 70 miles, so a generator would have to be extremely light to beat just carrying 100 mile range in battery. Where a generator carry would make sense is when riding in a country with less electric infastructure. Mongolia, eastern Russia, etc.

Did a quick lookup on a Yamaha EF1000IS and it's listed at 27 lbs.

The main attraction of an e-bike is the no license, no insurance aspect and I suspect the "powers that be" would consider direct connection of a generator to be a conversion to fuel power (with the electric motor now just part of the transmission) and the vehicle no longer exempt.

But what if the generator, a jerry can and a spare battery set were mounted on a trailer, with NO electrical connection to the e-bike? Most generators seem to have a 12V DC output as well as the inverted 120/240 which might make it possible to go directly to a charger. As long as you could charge as fast as you consume, you would be no more limited than a fuel vehicle (except for the occasional stop to swap the battery set).

A way to have your cake and eat it too?

The old suburu/robin "Ultimite Generator" was 30 something pounds and had a 24v DC output of ~40a which if stepped up would easily recharge a 36v battery with a 5a limit.

Hillhater said:
gblast123 said:
what about a 2 kw generator that weighs 18 lbs and uses diesel fuel.

http://www.dstarengineering.com/piston-pdfs/Generator_Sets_2kW.pdf

Ok, now show us the working unit !

The unit has been qualified and passed the Navy tests so it is a real unit, the problem is the protoype cost something
like $30,000.00!!! not including the pre development costs to get to the prototype.

So, while it is a reality, it is still in the realm of defense contractor pricing...but once something is done,
it is not a problem to emulate it, as long as it is done with the proper respect to IP laws and regulations.

While there is a lot of engineering that went into it, couldn't you geniuses do something half as powerful at the same weight?

jbkeh said:
The main attraction of an e-bike is the no license, no insurance aspect

funny, I thought the main attraction was not burning fossil-fuels. :wink:

EBJ said:
jbkeh said:
The main attraction of an e-bike is the no license, no insurance aspect

funny, I thought the main attraction was not burning fossil-fuels. :wink:

Getting your local power utility to do it for you, you mean?

Chalo

That's why I don't get it either, if you can just carry 70 mile range at 30 mph fairly easy. I did try it, when all I had was some sla's, and I had the generator sitting there. But not so practical as just carrying lots of battery if you have to go fork out hundreds for a good light generator. Just buy a good light battery.

I expect my local electric company makes that 2kw of power cleaner and more efficiently.( in fact at my house the power is likely to be nuke from paloverde) If yours burns coal, maybe not. Personally I'd rather ride and carry 30 pounds of lithium than carry and listen to a small generator. That is, If I am where I can plug in. I use my generators to charge if I can't plug in, like the pits at the death race.

If we were discussing a different type of vehicle, such as a large sturdy trike for groundskeeping or pedicab, then the whole equation could shift the other way. Now a 100 lb load is not so big compared to the vehicle, and carrying a big enough battery could be a problem. I'm thinking in terms of stuff nearly golf cart size. But for a bike, carrying up to 30 pounds of lithium works better, or at least it did for me.

well if you want to go extreme, then you may as well strap a fuel cell battery charger on ( 1kW @ 25 kg) and feel really green.
quiet too. http://www.fuelcellmarkets.com/tropical/products_and_services/3,1,7159,17,28240.html
1000.jpg

Or..the 7.6 kg German-made EFOY fuel cell battery charger is rated at 65-watt output at 5.4A.
Emissions are water vapour and CO2 – no carbon monoxide.
The 1600W cell measures 435mm long, 200mm wide and 276mm high, and weighs only 7.6kg.
RRP for the EFOY 1600W fuel cell is $6600. EFOY 2200W is $8400
sfc_efoy2200.png

Back