Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/06/07/joggobot-the-companion-drone-that-makes-you-run-faster-longer-harder/

Whilst the AR Drone isn't too responsive to extra payload this is an excellent idea for 'self portrait' video.
I think the AR Drone has a "hunter" function though which this is an extension of.

Yeah that's pretty cool, I remember reading about that sort of stuff.
The AR drone does do some cools stuff out of the box but it needs alot of customising to do what I want and isn't really strong enough to carry a gopro and still be fast so I figured DIY was the best approach. Even the new HD camera ones don't have really good quality video capture

Ah good, just searched youtube and it seems they CAN do what I want with waypoints :)
I bought the hobbyking flight control board for it to get me started but can see myself upgrading to teh arducopter board in the near future for all the other add ons and customisation it allows
[youtube]yJJWzrisgcI[/youtube]

It's interesting that the logic is in the controller. It seems like the quadcopter itself make all the decisions....

You've seen that DIY drones forum right?

Hyena said:
I'm going to need a good RC piloting accomplice for these videos though. I'm quite confident that I can't pilot my bike at high speeds and the drone at the same time :lol:
You mean as many times as you've been in hospital, you still didn't hav them just install that direct brain link connector on your head ? ;)

Plug in the remote to that and off you both go! :p

Hyena said:
Yeah that's pretty cool, I remember reading about that sort of stuff.
The AR drone does do some cools stuff out of the box but it needs alot of customising to do what I want and isn't really strong enough to carry a gopro and still be fast so I figured DIY was the best approach. Even the new HD camera ones don't have really good quality video capture

Ah good, just searched youtube and it seems they CAN do what I want with waypoints :)
I bought the hobbyking flight control board for it to get me started but can see myself upgrading to teh arducopter board in the near future for all the other add ons and customisation it allows
[youtube]yJJWzrisgcI[/youtube]

Do you know if its done via gps? you could fully set the way points to be on a mtb trail and get this thing following you and record

How hard is it to pilot ?

I think we should start a pool on how long this new go-pro will last before some kind of catastrophic whatever..I'm saying mid october, tops.

If ya ever need a camera man, I'll put my hand up....I could bring a ready long pole and pretend to be a quadie...I'd even hum really loud and run along behind ya and shit... :lol:...actually that's startin' to sound a bit creepy stalker stylee.

And I'm diggin the rims too, broo.

grindz145 said:
It's interesting that the logic is in the controller. It seems like the quadcopter itself make all the decisions....
Yeah it certainly takes makes them alot easier to pilot. There's a few auto stabilising modes that seem to work really well using onboard gyros. I've seen videos of guys trying to maintain them exactly flat and the same height manually making small corrections to keep them there but they still float and bob around a bit. In the auto mode the chip senses those small changes in gyro readings and automatically powers up and down the right motors to keep it dead stable. Much the same was as the advanced braking systems in cars these days that brake individual wheels if you lose traction and go sideways or what ever.

You've seen that DIY drones forum right?
Yep, had it open in another window at the time of posting the above :wink:

nechaus said:
Do you know if its done via gps? you could fully set the way points to be on a mtb trail and get this thing following you and record
Yep done by GPS, and that's exactly what I meant before when I said to preprogram the waypoints. Not sure how hard they are to pilot, I'll find out soon. Not as hard as normal copters or planes I think. They have an auto hover mode too which would be good for some video shots - get it into position then lock it into hover mode and drop the controller it'll just stay there. The arduino ones have all sorts of add on modules to make this better and better. One that looks particularly cool is optical flow sensors and sonar to maintain accurate height from the ground and also dodge obstacles, etc

amberwolf said:
You mean as many times as you've been in hospital, you still didn't hav them just install that direct brain link connector on your head ? ;)
Heh I was going to get them to fit a USB3 port in my chest last time the surgeons were in there but you know it's going to be obsolete next year or the year after and no body wants last years tech under their skin :p

Hobbit said:
I think we should start a pool on how long this new go-pro will last before some kind of catastrophic whatever..I'm saying mid october, tops.
Challenge accepted! I'm going to baby this one. For a while...

If ya ever need a camera man, I'll put my hand up....I could bring a ready long pole and pretend to be a quadie...I'd even hum really loud and run along behind ya and shit...
haha OK we might have to try and tee that up one day. As long as you don't fly off into the sunset and crash 2km away if my transmitter battery goes flat :lol:

And I'm diggin the rims too, broo.
Cool. You got em laced up yet ? I'm keen to see how that nirve fat ass tyre looks. Still haven't ordered mine yet but it should look badass on the 3" rim.

In other news, I have a new "when ebikes attack" video. Leaving work the other day I guess I twisted the throttle slightly while trying to hold a door open with the other hand.
7kw on tap + no rider weight = wall climbing torque. Literally!

[youtube]ju7UCM_BDKA[/youtube]

Hyena said:
Cool. You got em laced up yet ? I'm keen to see how that nirve fat ass tyre looks. Still haven't ordered mine yet but it should look badass on the 3" rim.

I've got the tyre on a halo rim now, sitting in the shed, but that's it, just an empty rim :oops: with a bag of spokes next to it ready to go :cry: ...I'll put up some photos in the next couplo days when I'm next near it. Yep, it's like a bicycle tyre company getting as close as they dare to a motorcycle tyre. BEEFCAKE!

RE: supping up juniors fully sick electric mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GybG-ZonSgw

Saw this and made me laugh, can your kids toy pull wheelies :mrgreen:

heh yeah a mate sent that too me when I told him about doing up my kids one.
I could make one that would hose that one but I think this is fast enough for a kid who can't even stay upright on a normal bike yet :lol:

In other news, my toys have started to arrive.

From the left, and fairly obviously my new Hero2 camera - super fast shipping from the US - new 24 fet 4110 controller - the beast to push big current into my 5404 - and lastly the transmitter for my new quadcopter. This this is actually alot bigger than I was expecting. HEAP of buttons and knobs and dials. I think I probably went a bit overkill with all the channels but better than not having enough later when I decide I need more.
Standard 375mm coke can for scale - the 24 fet is actually smaller than I was expecting. Still big but not as big as some I've seen.

Yep, greentime. Note sure how it'll go, I imagine it'll just work as expected and be neither here nor there.
I have too many projects and drivetrains at the moment and actually not enough bikes.
I've got the 5404, a fat rim and now controller for it, but no bike to strap it to. Likewise I've got the HPM motot and controller but no bike to suit. The the HPM atleast I was really planning to build a custom frame bike around it. The 5404 I could probably be persuaded to stick on an off the shelf cruiser though it's not exactly what I had in mind for it.
And then I have my light weight build with the trials rims planned and also my chopped diamondback frame that's still yet to be commissioned!
While laid up for months one of the things that occupied my thoughts was all the ebike builds I'd eventually like to do. Somewhat foolishly, I've started on all of them at once :lol:
I think realisticly the quickest to get knocked over will be the super light weight build so I might concentrate on that first. If I was smart I'd make the battery packs somewhat interchangable but the light weight bike will have a small pack and the HPM will need a huge pack. Ah well, I've got plenty of storage space and free power from the sun to run them all :p

I saw one of those quadcopters with the GPS homing device and video goggles last week, it looked pretty cool. Pricey though (with all the gadgets). I'm pretty sure the auto-pilot features are fairly crude, so you might need a skilled pilot after all if you want to get showy. :wink:

Yeah there's various GPS modules and apparently the more expensive ones are more accurate. But yeah, with all the bells and whistles they're quite pricey - the arduino main processor board is $250 on it's own before adding GPS or sonar (by contrast the hobbyking one I've ordered is only $30 which seems stupidly cheap for all the goodies is has onboard.

I don't have any real desires to get showy from a flight point of view, I'm sure I'll have a fiddle with it as a toy / recreational flyer but I really intend to use it to be a heavy lifter and a videoing platform.

Oh, and on another note I got a text message from voicecoils yesterday.
He was in the city on his ebike and some random guy stopped him and asked "is that a Hyena bike? " :mrgreen:
Considering I do no advertising for my services at all other than a link in my signature here and a URL on some of my youtube vids that's pretty cool

Im really starting to like these quadcopters more and more,
The idea of having it as a camera man is so awesome,

Maybe in the future you can get it to fly down to your local shop and pick up the newspaper every morning
you could even Attach a small lcd screen and speaker so you can talk to the cash register haha

id like to have one that runs off cellular data and take the thing for a 30 km trip around , it would be like playing a real flight simulator game in your living room.

nechaus said:
Maybe in the future you can get it to fly down to your local shop and pick up the newspaper every morning
you could even Attach a small lcd screen and speaker so you can talk to the cash register haha
haha I have a tablet for that, do people still buy papers ? :p
But yeah you could program it to fly to your local take away joint with the cash attached and they could take it and tie on the food in exchange. Like a modern day bionic carrier pigeon :lol:

And yeah I already thought about running it off phone communication. You should get good reception being up 10-20 metres above the ground. The RF transmitter is good for about 2km but with a GPS module and the video/position signal coming back over the cellular network (you can get an andoid app to do it) they'd be ace. My only hesitation would be sending off my ~ $1000 drone off out of sight for it maybe never to return. I think you'd definitely want to do some local programmed routes first, get it to follow the roads in your neighborhood backstreets and chase it around on your ebike to make sure it's going to do what you want it to. They will auto correct with wind currents and what not but if a bird or something attacks it and knocks it out of the sky 5km away it's probably going to be gone for good.

When you get your 3D printer going we can work on a low velocity BB gun attachment for it :mrgreen:

id love to see robot wars but army's of quadcopters in a massive arena lol
checked a lil on youtube but could not find videos of people doing that

haha yeah ill print some bb guns, be good to make it automatic somehow

I would like to ideally print a quad copter if i can
this looks like a decent printed one,
id like to upscale it tho and make it look big and scary haha,

end part of the video is the best

[youtube]MtMYRgkvqsk[/youtube]

Hi all,

i'm new here, this is my first post :)

Been following this chanell for a while now - have read most post from the start.

love Hyena,s videos - well done Jay

Hyena, I sent you a message about a week ago about a conversion kit ,still haven;t got a reply - you reading youtr messages?

Cheers, Newman

Sorry guys if I've missed your emails, I've been getting swamped more and more lately and am starting to skip scan stuff and don't always get back to it. Some are legit requests but most are just people wanting info to build or fix their own gear. I dont mind helping people but that's what the forum is for. And it's starting to get old never hearing from 90% of these people again after I've spent hours sending them multiple detailed emails. Dead set, I spend atleast 3 hours a day replying to emails and PMs. So an official request - if it's general ebike stuff you want to know - post here, or better yet use the search function. I guarantee any of the questions you're asking me have been posted here - probably a many times over! Oh and if you email me saying "i want to talk about ebikes, call me on 041111111" don't wait by the phone :p I have a day job and get time here and there to email but can rarely get on the phone

Apologies to those with legit requests, if I don't get back to you within 2 days just resend the email. I've also got a fairly savage spam filter that seems to not like some keywords people are using. I get probably 2 emails a day from chinese battery companies trying to sell me their shitty 2C lifepo4 packs or other random rubbish and a few emails have been swallowed up in association with those.

But I digress... :lol:

On a positive note, I've loving the subtle little improvement on the gopro hero 2. Louder beeps so I can hear it over the wind noise, red flashing LEDs to tell you it's recording on all faces (no more upside down shots of my ugly mug at the start of half my shots :lol: ) and the improved LCD screen is much easier for navigating. Flipping all the text when in upside down mode is a very nice touch and makes it easy to remember how you have it orientated (when out shooting a planned video I'm often swapping mounts and locations and it's a pain when you forget to flip it one way or the other)

Drag race from yesterdays Sydney group ride :)
More vids to follow

[youtube]a0HZOIXXODk[/youtube]

Drag race between 4 high powered ebikes. Description for each bike is in the video.
With the exeption of Cowardly Duck's stock stealth fighter the other 3 bikes were running the same motor. As expected mine with the smaller wheels and higher current limit got off much more quickly and held the lead until argh''s bike with a higher top speed took the lead. Argh's bike's high top speed comes from the larger wheels, slick tyres and crouched riding position. I didn't crouch. Inversely I suspect the upright cruiser style riding position of Hobbits bike cost hit some top speed along with a slightly higher bike and rider weight. The standard fighter was the least powerful, heavy and had big offroad tyres so was always going to be at the back. Our batteries were about 50% discharged after quite a bit of riding so this was by no means a max top speed run.

Damn :shock:
Hard to believe what the difference in top speed is between a 26" wheel and a 24" wheel. It definitely puts things into perspective now. Maybe if you limited your current limit to 50amps, and had another drag race, the rest of us could see how much of a difference in torque there is between a 26" wheel and a 24" wheel :idea:

Good idea, next time we get together I'll do that.
To to totally objective we really should use the same sort of bikes and tyres but that's too hard, so this will have to be near enough.
If nothing else though from the point I get overtaken you can see the difference made by
A: Tyre choice (slick vs knobby)
B: Tyre size (24" vs 26")
C: Wind resistance (crouched vs upright)

Back