Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Better post this here too I suppose - another video of ebike shenanigans from Saturday. Backed by the Hyena edit of Sand by 28 Days which seemed appropriate. Brings back memories of my uni days when I used to see them play live :)

[youtube]zS5Gx1nxork[/youtube]

28 days. Same scene and vintage as Bodyjar though (I used to see them play live all the time too) Actually just yesterday the missus was having a clean out at home and wanted to throw out my old bodyjar t shirt. "what are you keeping this for ? It's gotta be over 10 years old!"
"so ? " :p

OK, next vid will have a bodyjar soundtrack :)

Hi Hyena,

Great Videos mate, Drag race was cool.
Ezza got his Bomber the other day, Now that's a cool looking bike. We got some video of my Beast at Nerang down hill track. I'll have to edit it and post it.

Just a Question on the Ebrakes for regen that I bought off you. Is it possible to cut the wires and have it connected to a switch for Regen instead of the break levers due to my bike having hydrolic brakes. Will the regen function work. Because I've been told that My controller doesn't have regen function. It's the 72v 50amp Crystalyte controller.
Oh and where can I buy more of these motors ( 5404). Still more torque than the bomber, :D but not as much top end :(

Sorry to bug in on your thread mate.

Asto

airtime said:
Is it possible to cut the wires and have it connected to a switch for Regen instead of the break levers due to my bike having hydrolic brakes.
Yeah mate just chop off the lever itself and connect any momentary switch across the wires.

Will the regen function work. Because I've been told that My controller doesn't have regen function.
I'm fairly sure it does but I haven't tested it myself on that batch and haven't got any more here to test it for you.
Easy way to find out, plug in the levers, lift up the back of the bike and spin up the motor and see if pulling the levers stop the motor or just cut out the throttle.

Oh and where can I buy more of these motors ( 5404).
No where unfortunately, yours is the last one in the country, possibly the world!
These were very hot property and now that they're all gone your only chance of snagging one is second hand. But we fought long and hard to get them made, pooling our cash from around the globe getting enough together to have them made for us. I can't see that happening again any time soon if ever. Ironically after going to all the effort to get them here I haven't even mounted my own one yet - it's still sitting here waiting to get laced into the fat 24x3" rim and a heap of amps from a 24 fet controller. I'm amassing my 'bucket list' of ebike parts and builds but have no time to finish them :lol:

They're not the only option for big power though and I'm working on something with atleast equal if not better performance :wink:

Still more torque than the bomber, :D but not as much top end :(

Yeah the bombers use a different wind for high speed, 5403 I think, possibly even 5402.
The one you have is the best for proper offroading and steep stuff where you really need the torque over higher top speed. You could always run higher voltage into with a 4115 fet controller but they won't take as much current. I debated running my own one one higher voltage for more speed but decided to go for bulk torque running on 24S with big current. 150 amps should get it moving satisfactorily :twisted:

Hi guys

Nice vids Jay. Wish I could have made the group ride :(

In regards to the controller and the regen, I did have a chance to get it working the other night on the 72V 50amp controller. But only when my battery went flat :p
I have already opened it up and shorted the BK to Ground. I have also added a resistor (cant remember what value at the moment) to the LVC/Regen circuit. R12 I think.

Problem was that regen finally cut in at about 67V and LVC at around 65V I think. I am running 24S of A123 so the LVC is ok but the regen is still way too low. I will have to play with that LVC/Regen calculator that you posted to see if I can get something a bit more useable. But it seems like the regen limit must be set fairly low for a 72V controller in the programming somewhere.

Oh and I also just use a button attached to my handlebars for regen. Works fine when it does work :)

Thanks for the info mate.
So you had to short BK to ground ? I wasn't sure how they came. I thought I'd asked Kenny for regen on these but that's no guarantee it's on there...
Thats odd that your regen kicked in so low but I suspect your R12 mod has thrown it out of whack. Though I take it there was no regen before which is why you did the R12 mod ? It should otherwise run 24S A123 out of the box. If you can send me a pic of the board I can tell you the liklihood of it being programmable. One of my earlier ones is (the one I have on my stealth fighter) but I'm not so sure the later ones are. Kenny said they're not but he said he same of the first one he sent me too! (I had to add my own wires of course)

Here's part 3 of the Sydney ground ride last weekend. Nothing too exciting, but some nice scenery and bad hyena battery chemistry jokes :p

[youtube]-yxAcN3yZlw[/youtube]

Oh and happy bday to me. I made it to 33 - hooray!
I was on my death bed this time last year and so out of it I didn't even remember it was my birthday. A few mates came around a few days before and asked if I was up to leaving the house because they were going to the pub for lunch. I dragged myself out and managed to eat half a burger (no drinks of course) when they said "anyway mate, happy birthday". So that was nice, I didnt even realise.
When my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said "another birthday". I'm going to wish for another 20 this year :lol:

Untitled-7.jpg

here's cheers, broo.

I couldn't organize a naked lady like the one i got ya for last birthday, but this tastes nicer.(maybe)

Jay

I made a post regarding the r12 mod when I first got the motor hooked up. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39222

The pictures are real bad but I don't know how much you need to see :p

Just moving house at the moment so when I get settled I am planning on cracking it back open.

Will borrow a decent camera this time.

pucksterpete said:
HAPPY B-DAY JAY

ACK! It's Kimber! :lol:
Thanks mate, I think... :p

Rustedhen said:
I made a post regarding the r12 mod when I first got the motor hooked up. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39222

OK I'll check it against pics of mine for reference. I know I have some good pics from my DSLR at home but the more recent ones I have on my phone don't have the board number which I need. If the boards ARE the same you can just add a USB header and program it to whatever you want

In other news I got my big box o goodies from hobbyking yesterday and stayed up to 1am last night assembling my drone. God damn, I'll never complain about assembling ikea furniture again! I got all the hardware done, motors are mounted (had to drill out the frame as the non-drive side of the motor axle was too long) so now I just have to solder up the ESCs (add on 20x bullet connectors for the 4 of them), mount them on and it's time to sort the wiring and controller programming. This is where I'll run into foreign territory as I've never done anything like this before. I'm not so naive as to assume it'll work straight away but hopefully there's not too much fuss to get it going. I'm guessing the props will be out of whack (I've seen several people on RC forums reference them being out of balance) but I'm hoping to get all the wiring up finished tonight and the maiden test flight tomorrow (assuming I can get it running with minimal stooging around between the transmitter and received)
Aerial ebike videos are still a way off but atleast I have the bulk of the hardware sorted :)

Hyena said:
Hyena and his pups - 3.5yrs and 20 months :)

(when asked to smile for a photo my eldest always pulls that face now. Little bugger :lol: )

Great vid put a smile on my face with the "dirty, careful" parent words, and your boy's "this is awesome" was brilliant.
The front seat spot looks great, Hyena custom kids Stealth bike seat cushions next? Family friendly 200W limit and all ;)

t3sla said:
When my dad asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said "another birthday".

frock me, that is some perspective invoking shit.
Nothing like staring death in the face for making you philosophical :p
A mate sent me an email at the time which I found quite true too. I can't remember the exact wording of it at the time but something along the lines of "next time you complain because you want a new phone or faster/nicer car or feel like it's not fair that you didn't get that promotion at work, think of the cancer patient who'd be happy just to be alive tomorrow"

rodgah said:
I know you have probably gone over this before, but all of your videos seem to be of decent rides ie > 10km. I just wonder what you think your average round trip distance is and how much wh you generally burn through
That's a bit like one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. But I guess generally between 20 and 40 km. Of course it depends hugely on how I ride, and the motor of course. At lower speeds around 40-50km/hr my H4080 is actually more efficient than my 9Cs. My commuter bike has a 9C and is fed peaks of 5kw (though typically rarely goes much above 3500w) and I use between 5 and 8 ah. Average is around 6.5 - as little as 5 if I go more slowly and pedal more and closer to 8 if I'm full throttle most of the way. My fighter with teh 4080 on the same trip uses only around 4ah and a max of around 6 if I'm giving it lots. This is on 18S. Obviously rolling along flat road chews alot less than being hard on and off the throttle riding technical trails.
But yeah, on average around 25 watthrs/km which gives a range of just shy of 30km

In other news I finally got my quadcopter all assembled and running. What a huge learning curve that has been with so much trickery every step of the way.
I took it for it's maiden flight just now, or should I say attempted... I finally got the ESCs calibrated which took some time but one motor seems to not up to the task. I dont know if it's the motor, ESC or prop - or something else entirely. It's making alot of noise which makes me thing I have props wrong and maybe they're trying to push and pull against one another but I have them fitted according to how the controller said (it's pretty nifty with a LCD screen that tells you all sorts of stuff) The props weren't on terribly well either (holes were too small for the threaded motor axle so I drilled them out and screwed them tightly on) but I would have expected more stability than this. AH well, off to google up an answer!

Anyway if you're bored enjoy the failed flight attempt and what I'm sure will be the first of many breakages.
This damed aerial ebike footage better be good :p

[youtube]i121-zcBGFc[/youtube]

If nothing else, you've created a sound that thoroughly confuses all four of my dogs. That's unique--I can rarely get the attention of more than two of them with the same sound. ;)

Hachi and Fred even stared at the screen trying to figure out what that thing flopping around was.

congratulations I was unaware a quad copters could fail that hard :p,

Seems to be isolated to a single channel, so some trouble shooting should narrow it down to see the cause

for a totally different side of the spectrum check out this guys quad vids
http://rcexplorer.se/FPVvideos/FPVvideos.html

This one especially
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU0_tGHlR7g&feature=player_embedded

That's the funniest video I have seen in ages. :lol: I have flown RC choppers since I was 20 years old (31 years) and when you were talking about taking aerial shots of yourself while riding, I just sat there shaking my head. :p

These quads are heaps easier to fly then a chopper but you still need to know how to fly. Get yourself a simulator before you go any further. (Hobby King has cheap ones) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20951I have the Phoenix Sim http://www.phoenix-sim.com/which is one of the best and even has quad copters in its list of models.

By the way, you need to carefully balance your props. That buzzing was one of the props distorting and causing a high frequency imbalance. This will play havoc with your gyros and other electronics. No way will it fly like that.

Oh, and also I think you might have one of your gyro setting the wrong way around. It looks like when you throttle up, the correction for the right hand tilt is going with the tilt rather then against it. I would test this by holding the quad nice a firmly. get some one to throttle up a bit so that you are getting some lift. Next try tilting the quad in different directions and see if the motors fight the tilt ie, try to keep the quad flat. The way it flicked out of your hand in the vid does point to a reversed gyro input but it could be a number of other issues also.

You need to test gyros WITHOUT PROPS! Even with low power motors, those multis react very fast and can be really dangerous even with "just a little lift"

Just sayin' :roll:

Fair comment. However Hyena laughs in the face of danger so not a problem for him. :twisted:

Seriously though, good point taking off the props. You wont get the feel but you should be able to see the appropriate motor accelerating and de accelerating.

I forgot about the fact that the gyro might take one of the motors to full power even if you have only put on a bit of throttle. :oops:

amberwolf said:
If nothing else, you've created a sound that thoroughly confuses all four of my dogs. That's unique--I can rarely get the attention of more than two of them with the same sound. ;)
New ringtone for your phone then ? :p

Kepler said:
That's the funniest video I have seen in ages. :lol:
Well comedy wasn't my goal, but glad to have entertained you one way or the other :p

when you were talking about taking aerial shots of yourself while riding, I just sat there shaking my head. :p
haha yes it's obviously going going to be possible for me to ride and fly and the same time, though I had hoped to get it in a moderately high stable hover for some static aerial shots. I won't be able to do any proper riding with it unless I for out for the GPS module and program it autopilot through set waypoints etc

These quads are heaps easier to fly then a chopper but you still need to know how to fly.
Yeah they look easy to fly but I'm sure it's deceptive. I'd have thought that it'd atleast hover around with a heap of throttle alone...

Get yourself a simulator before you go any further. (Hobby King has cheap ones) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20951I have the Phoenix Sim http://www.phoenix-sim.com/which is one of the best and even has quad copters in its list of models.
I didn't know such things existed, that's pretty cool! I got the turnigy 9X which is overkill for this setup but it wasn't much more and figured I might use the other channels for something else later (spotlights, drop bombs :p, pan/tilt camera mechanisms etc

By the way, you need to carefully balance your props. That buzzing was one of the props distorting and causing a high frequency imbalance. This will play havoc with your gyros and other electronics. No way will it fly like that.
Cool thanks for the tip. I know unbalanced props upset them but I didn't know it'd be that much.
I still suspect the ESC calibration is out.
It seemed to calibrate the first time (after some trial and error) but I can't get it to do it again single.
The full throttle cal seems OK but when I then set it back to idle I dont think it's calibrating properly.
It's doing all sorts of beeping at me and of course the manual says something like "hold it at full throttle until you hear the full throttle calibration confirmation" WTF is that ? The thing is beeping all sorts of things at me like a bloody R2D2 on speed :lol:

t3sla said:
congratulations I was unaware a quad copters could fail that hard :p,
Props to me then huh ?
*boom tish* :p
for a totally different side of the spectrum check out this guys quad vids
http://rcexplorer.se/FPVvideos/FPVvideos.html
Sweet. I actually saw 2 of those before when looking into quad stuff. Love the gator one - one takes a snap at it and then all the other gators jump on him. :lol:

Kepler said:
Oh, and also I think you might have one of your gyro setting the wrong way around.
I didn't even know they were configurable! They're all onboard and somewhat automatic, or atleast i thought. It seems to respond as expected to movement. With the props removed if I dip any corner down it spins harder that way.

The way it flicked out of your hand in the vid does point to a reversed gyro input but it could be a number of other issues also.
After playing with it some more I reckon motor 4 just isn't doing it's thing, or in time. At low throttle it looks as if it's spinning slower and is the first to stop. But even that could be multiple causes.
I replaced the broken props and it still has that same noise when I try to lift off but it's still like motor 4 has a lead weight around it.
With the props off it's harder to pin down which motor is doing what. Even with no props at all it shakes around the table like it's trying to take off

bzhwindtalker said:
You need to test gyros WITHOUT PROPS! Even with low power motors, those multis react very fast and can be really dangerous even with "just a little lift"
Yeah when it yanked out of my hand why do you think I jumped out of the way like it was a [insert type of deadly snake] :p

BTW Kepler have you done any FPV stuff ?
That's my aim for this - gopro HD2 recording good quality video while streaming back low quality vid LCD screen so I can see where I'm going (I dont htink I'll bother with the FPV glasses, though the thought of adapting them for other purposes has crossed my mind )

Hyena said:
BTW Kepler have you done any FPV stuff ?
That's my aim for this - gopro HD2 recording good quality video while streaming back low quality vid LCD screen so I can see where I'm going (I dont htink I'll bother with the FPV glasses, though the thought of adapting them for other purposes has crossed my mind

Yes I have dabbled. Check this out. (No laughing OK)

I have a nice stable RC plane setup. The quads are the way to go though.

IMG_1460.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 3,078
  • PICT0018.jpg
    PICT0018.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,078
Back