Hyena's e-bike builds (now with HD video)

Kepler said:
Check this out. (No laughing OK)
That's exactly what I had in mind, wide angle rear facing camera hooked to one eye for the ultimate in road awareness while commuting :lol:

I just balanced all my props, didn't fix the problem. I also checked the gyros and the all calibrate and rear much the same value when sitting flat - so none blatently reversed.
So I'm back to my suspicions about it being the ESC calibration. I dont think the ESC itself is crook because it spins up fine with and without a prop, it just "doesn't play well with others"
I might record hte beeps and throw up on the HK forum and see if anyone can shine some light on it. That's my leading theory anyway

Was talking to a friend of mine tonight - the guy on my You Yangs video, he mentioned someone local filming MTB and playing around with a quad-copter. So looked up his channel. Listen to what he's saying @ 3:00
[youtube]3l6boL7iVxM[/youtube]

That video was awesome. That guy has some balls to fly it over water. Nothing fancy but its skills and nerves of steel. A sick feeling loosing something like that... thats like watching an ebike get ran over by a garbage truck... you just dont emotionally recover from that lol.

heh, damn. He was flying some pretty damn risky stuff over the side of that boat though considering where he was up the the deck - very hard to judge distances that far away!
Nice stable footage though!
Does he have MTB stuff on his channel ? I didn't see any.

PS: Check out this if you want to see some real skill (and balls!)

[youtube]AZ4e0BdUy_Q[/youtube]

Damn, this thread has gotten way off topic and it's my own fault :lol:

I meant stuff shot with his quad.
Some nice video work there, cool smooth panning shots etc. I can't watch the chest cam stuff for more than a few seconds though, it gives me a headache!

Hyena said:
I meant stuff shot with his quad.
Some nice video work there, cool smooth panning shots etc. I can't watch the chest cam stuff for more than a few seconds though, it gives me a headache!
Oh I see what you mean - no quadcopter footage of MTB tracks.

I'm a bit over POV shots as well. The new Sony one might have an image stabilization built in, which would improve things a little. Speaking of Sony - NEX-5R is going to be announced tomorrow 8)

pucksterpete said:
Thanks, I've been looking into that sort of stuff. The GPS shenanigans gets a bit pricey but it IS cool.
First I need to get the bloody thing to even hover properly.
None of the suggested settings to change are working so it could be a crook ESC. I dunno, hopefully throwing money at it will solve the problem!

full-throttle said:
I'm a bit over POV shots as well.
I don't mind a bit of POV if it's not overly shakey (your recent stuff was pretty good) but yeah a whole video of it gets a bit boring. As you know it's alot of work to chop and change the camera around though so you either upload a vid of your ride or start-stop ride to video. And for a DH race you can't exactly stop mid track to move your gopro :lol:

The new Sony one might have an image stabilization built in, which would improve things a little. Speaking of Sony - NEX-5R is going to be announced tomorrow 8)
Sounds cool but I've got no more camera budget in my immediate future.
Already got a nikon D90 for still use (and hoping to do some more cinematic DOF stuff with it in the future), a panasonic 3 chip 1080HD HDD camcorder and a new gopro HD Hero2

Speaking of videoing with the SLR, I got bored the other day while wandering around bunnings looking for things to buy so got some PVC pipe and connectors and made up a basic fig rig. It will take the gopro, camcorder and SLR. Next up, having another go at my previous cable cam attempts and refined 360 SpewCam(tm) for an upcoming summer of cool video production :) Now I just need to clone myself so I can ride and shoot at the same time... :?

H-figrig.jpg

Hyena said:
file.php
Nice steady cam rig. I should make one for my camera man :twisted: (and mute the mic) :twisted:

I'd like to use my rock-climbing gear to set up a cable cam.

full-throttle said:
That would be ideal!
There's a train line running along the edge of one of the tracks I often ride, I've been thinking about making wheel that fits over that and runs along it as a dolly. Though it's probably almost as smooth to have a correctly positioned helmet cam on a second rider! Or I could just wait for the train to come along and have someone hop onboard :p
A well sorted copter could replicate all these shots and more though.

They've got some slick vids 8)

I haven't posted an update in a while, been busy with other stuff. I did make my missus an ebike though and we had our first ride together on saturday. I'm not sure why it's taken so long for this to actually happen! Mainly a baby sitting issue I guess. I got a new record for economy with her slow riding, 8whr/km :lol:

There was a massive national park burn off near my house yesterday. My missus was working all day but I scooted up there at dusk for a closer look. I nearly suffocated in the smoke at one point getting this footage! It was a bit smokey but tolerable then all of a sudden it got super thick. I wanted to ride in further to the flames but wasn't sure how hot the ground still was and didnt want to melt my tyres :lol:
The was no smoke in this section so there was minimal risk.

This is a photo a mate took from a few suburbs away :shock:

422816_10151235389057774_728791787_n.jpg

I'll have to head back in the next few days when I get a chance and do a proper ride through the aftermath. Should make for a very differnent backdrop to usual with everything black and charred.

[youtube]-I_mij84CzQ[/youtube]

Part 2 - the next day aftermath. Not as bad as I thought considering how much smokes and flames there were. The fire brigade did a good job of keeping it contained with some sections burnt to the ground while the other side of the path was completely untouched.

[youtube]wK1c9Jk-vEo[/youtube]

Hyena said:
full-throttle said:
That would be ideal!
There's a train line running along the edge of one of the tracks I often ride, I've been thinking about making wheel that fits over that and runs along it as a dolly. Though it's probably almost as smooth to have a correctly positioned helmet cam on a second rider! Or I could just wait for the train to come along and have someone hop onboard :p
A well sorted copter could replicate all these shots and more though.

I'm a new fan of UniGeezer who has a scene in this video with a couple of people running cable line down the mountain to film a run of his new Fat Muni he reviews.
http://unigeezer.com/
Nimbus Oregon review with cable line scene near the end
http://www.youtube.com/v/6HUORKWqhuc
[youtube]6HUORKWqhuc[/youtube]

Crazy skills for sure, but.....WHY? LOL!

The usual answer - because you can. :mrgreen:

Heh it seems like an extra and easier way to fall on your face to me :lol:
I actually came across a group of guys on "mountain" unicycles a little while back while out riding, had a good chat which I recorded and can upload if anyone is interested. They were quite impressed with my fighter (and the talk of ebikes in general). An e-unicycle seems like an ever faster way to die though :lol:
I know Justin @ ebikes.ca is into unicycles so therefore they must be cool and we're all missing something :)

Hyena said:
Heh it seems like an extra and easier way to fall on your face to me :lol:
I actually came across a group of guys on "mountain" unicycles a little while back while out riding, had a good chat which I recorded and can upload if anyone is interested. They were quite impressed with my fighter (and the talk of ebikes in general). An e-unicycle seems like an ever faster way to die though :lol:
I know Justin @ ebikes.ca is into unicycles so therefore they must be cool and we're all missing something :)

I know I will never 'get' it but if I were to buy a unicycle I'd probably go with this.
http://www.gizmag.com/version-three-self-balancing-unicycle-focus-designs/21683/
sbu-v3-22.jpg

Seems to be using a Magic Pie, so I'm sure a few extra volts and a knobbly tire could easily be thrown at it to make a half decent MUnicycle.
[youtube]Dev5NYzjRvk[/youtube]

Cheers

Now that's a unicycle I could own :p
But how did my thread get so jacked... :lol:

Here's a cut down version of that vid I was talking about earlier - chatting with a few 'mountain' unicycle riders about unicycles, ebikes, my stealth and petrol powered pushies

[youtube]FdD6bLolEzQ[/youtube]

OK lets get this thread back on track :p

I finally commissioned my cut and shut diamond back bike I've posted about previously.
Motivation to get it all fixed up was meeting up with Maurice from gloworm bicycles for the final leg of his epic 6 week ride from cape york. My stealth is still in pieces waiting for parts to fix the schlumpf and I couldn't bring myself to ride my commuter which has crap hanging off it left right and centre (which in retrospect would have fitted right in!)

I got the thing finished and together at midnight, mounting up the very first HS3540 I landed here in Australia. It had dead halls and cut wires courtesy of those early teething issues with crystalyte so I replaced all the halls and the damaged wiring, took it for a spin around the culdesac and it seemed to be fine. 5km into my 16km commute to work the next day and it dropped dead. God f&*king dammit! Fortunately someone that was going to occupy a chunk of my day at work cancelled at the last minute so I was able to repair it (though getting the sidecover/bearing off with only basic tools was a chore) Turns out I'd melted the solder off one of the hall wires giving it a flog on the way to work. Oops. Gangsters will be gangsters :lol:
I've forgotten just how thirsty these HS3540s are, I'll need to exercise restraint if I'm going to use it as my new daily rider.

Anyway here's a shot of it I took while waiting for Maurice to arrive on the north side of the harbour bridge.
A 4500w wolf in sheeps clothing :mrgreen: I rode through the CBD past several cops and no one looked twice. One bike cop actually gave me a thumbs up and called out "good man!" for stopping at an orange light for the bike lane :lol:

custom-db.jpg

It developed a weird sort of vibration that I could peg about 10km into the ride. When I got home I found the side cover bolts were significantly loose, one of them hanging out about 4mm and barely missing hitting the brake caliper! No damage to the windings I guess as it was still running when I got home but they'll be getting some loctite tomorrow. I've never had the issue before but I see the same thing happened to oldhaq recently so others that are opening their motors, keep that in mind.

I suspect the burnout I did when leaving the after party at gloworm bicycles didn't help :lol:
I couldn't help it, one of the guys there with a stock ezee FWD kit challenged me to a race so I thought I'd give a warm up show considering the race would be over quickly :twisted:

Back