Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

I finally got mine working by dropping the amps in to about 4. I'm only using a 14 volt source. I even got my A123 pack to balance with quite a bit of jury rigging. See my post under the kit build so I don't have to continuously cross post. Anyways it works but all the connections really have to be perfect!
otherDoc

Sacman read your post and ran down the find my 1420 set at 12a is 16a. so I turned down to 10amps. First time when I set to 10a it jump to 11a after start. So reajusted to 10a and it stuck. Was down at the harbour and a complete woman ask me for a Hawian cheif I was tempted to give your # as you might pull it off. No problem your welcome. HaHa. Pimp daddy.

Here’s a vid of a port on the B channel showing weird readings. The cell starts off equal to the others and then all of a sudden, the voltage reading for that port alone drops and it goes into balance mode for ever. In the vid, the charger shows that cell to be at 3.92V but if I check it with my Fluke, it shows 4.36V :shock: . Also if you add all the voltages shown in the vid you get 57.61 V and the charger shows that the total voltage is 58.05V. Something is off with that charger. I'm also getting ''output circuit errors'' when connecting either a LiIo 14S or LiIo 7S. I plug in the 14S and the charger asks if it's a 13S and goes into error. I plug in a 7S and the charger asks if it's an 8S and goes into error. I'm presently in discussion with the dealer but they are waiting for a response from the supplier (Hyperion) who are taking their sweet time to answer.
http://youtu.be/NuJlNi28e7U

Hi guys, i have my new setup up and running just wondering best settings for the charger like how much amps and other settings ? Cheers

Attachments

• New battery setup 44.4v.jpg
    New battery setup 44.4v.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 2,498
Oss is that all the info you can give ?
Mistercrash my 1420 ask 11s as 12s was plugged in as two 6s ? I turned it down to 10a from 12a for a 12s A123-20ah pack with two hp 600 power supply's for 24v 1000watt 47a.. But one supply humm and shut down, Sacman told me to turn it down and whalaaa. !0amp. Thanks Sacman

Gday 999zop999 , This is what i got 4x8000mah zippy 22.2v lipos and i'm doing a bulk charge ,my power supply has no trouble it's rated 60amp just wondering whats the best settings for the charger ! Charger is set to 12s 44volt ,8amps.Are there any other setting i need to know ?

999zip999 said:
Mistercrash my 1420 ask 11s as 12s was plugged in as two 6s ? I turned it down to 10a from 12a for a 12s A123-20ah pack with two hp 600 power supply's for 24v 1000watt 47a.. But one supply humm and shut down, Sacman told me to turn it down and whalaaa. !0amp. Thanks Sacman

If you want to be safer, use the timer, use the 1c max rate, use the "LiIo" setting, not the "Lipo", use the end charge stop (not continue). Basically, go through the manual. It is fairly easy to load the software on your computer, and hook up the charger to that. Then you can program the 20 different slots for whatever batteries you want.

Back again should i balance charge as well ! Or just balance charge once every couple of days i use my bike to get to work.

Ossielocal said:
Back again should i balance charge as well ! Or just balance charge once every couple of days i use my bike to get to work.
If it's no trouble, balance charge every time. Otherwise, just when needed. It doesn't hurt anything to balance charge every time and it is safer.

999zip999 said:

I tried that and it seems to stop the error in the number of cell detection so thank you for that. Now I still have the problem of the single port on channel B that shows the cell to be at 3.9V when it's really over charging it to 4.3+ volts in the never ending balance charge mode. :?

Check the TCS setting, is this on your konion pack ? Some cells go high then level then drain. With 1420 so I just bluck charge for the konion pack. Even on my balance A123 20ah pack a cell run up to 3.8v. Don't like to see that. But the charger what's at 3.6v rests 3.59v balance. And A123 can keep it for up and drain you could add some ah and get some 1/2 ah but the cell lives at 3.34v. so why go to 3.65v., big format (20ah ). It lives there at a 17ah of use, I'm alright with that no BMS. Konion used cells that are ok can hit 4.3v. if they raise they are going anyway ? I think as caveman.
I should be able to charge at 15amp. with my power supply they don't like it. 24v1000w47a ? Just alittle short maybe 29v supply. ?

What bugs me is the charger showing that the cell is at 3.92V and if I check it with the Fluke it says the cell is at 4.36V. I trust the Fluke. I got confirmation today that I have to send this Hyperion back and I will get a new one as a replacement. I found more than one person having this exact problem on a RC heli forum. I just found that the vendor from whom I bought the 1420i in the first place doesn't have 1420is for sale anymore. Just ''out of stock'' or coincidence? I think that if it would be out of stock, the charger would still show on the website but it's just no where to be found. Is it because they have been dealing with too many faulty 1420is and decided to just not sell them anymore? They wouldn't tell. I'm thinking that there's a reason why these chargers are so cheap to buy. :| Anyway, I need a 14s charger so I bought a Thunder Power 1430 and when it gets here, I'll send the 1420i back. In the meantime, I'm only bulk charging.

Dogman said;
"Jst plugs are notorius for one pin having some resistance, causing a misbalance."

Blackssr said:
Can 2 of 1420i charge a single 28s pack ? Is this possible?
Yes. They need the cable to connect them. It was in my box when I got the charger.
otherDoc
edit: The cable is for USB connection to my computer. I guess you have to order the duplex connector cable separately.

Blackssr said:
Kind of, but not really. You have to break the pack in half and charge each half separately. But you network the 2 chargers so it balances all 28 cells together. I'd love to see a single charger that would do 24s minimum.

wesnewell said:
Blackssr said:
Kind of, but not really. You have to break the pack in half and charge each half separately. But you network the 2 chargers so it balances all 28 cells together. I'd love to see a single charger that would do 24s minimum.

I am doing that now with 1 charger, I do leave the pack as 20s3p. I have "a Tap" point. One harness is 14s3p and the other harness is 6s3p. I leave the pack together just charge one group at a time as I only have 1 charger. If I were to buy another i would have to split the pack in order to charge the same time? Would I need the "link" cable? What does that do anyway?

Thanks,

Mike

link cable is pointless. SPeaking from experience. it increases your chances of short circuiting your chargers (like I did even though I was being careful). It's easy enough in my case to keep the two pack halves connected as two 10S sections in series.. run isolated supply to each charger (key).... press the same buttons at the same time... ta da... you saved $7 and your fingers will be evenly exercised

The hyper ions DO NOT charge 28S. the networking feature solely eliminate the need for patience or two hands. Each charger works independently.

hillzofvalp said:
link cable is pointless. SPeaking from experience. it increases your chances of short circuiting your chargers (like I did even though I was being careful). It's easy enough in my case to keep the two pack halves connected as two 10S sections in series.. run isolated supply to each charger (key).... press the same buttons at the same time... ta da... you saved $7 and your fingers will be evenly exercised

The hyper ions DO NOT charge 28S. the networking feature solely eliminate the need for patience or two hands. Each charger works independently.
:
What PSUs do you recommend? Also can I charge the packs as 14s3p and 6s3p or do they need to be equal (10S3P x 2)?

I have already asked this in a seperate post but seeing i am really desperate for soem help and most people in here are using the 1420i can i please ask a favour.

Can someone open there charger up and take a look at teh IC labeled G3 and tell me the IC number on it so i can try and repair my unit please.

it just underneath where the two case fans are plugged into the board and above C108 and the only crystal on the board.

thanks

Wayne

motomech said:
Dogman said;
"Jst plugs are notorius for one pin having some resistance, causing a misbalance."

I do agree that JST plugs are not the best option but I was having problems with my 14S battery I was running before. I did change the JST plugs to brand new JST plugs and checked every single connector to make sure they made good contact. The same port on channel B was showing the wrong voltage. Then I completely redid the whole pack and added cells to go 20S. Again having brand new JST plugs installed on a brand new pack and again that same port on Channel B is showing the wrong voltage. It's not the plugs or wires or anything else than the charger, I am sure of it now. I plug the same JST plugs to a different balance charger I have and all the voltages are correct.

Scruffoid said:
I have already asked this in a seperate post but seeing i am really desperate for soem help and most people in here are using the 1420i can i please ask a favour.

Can someone open there charger up and take a look at teh IC labeled G3 and tell me the IC number on it so i can try and repair my unit please.

it just underneath where the two case fans are plugged into the board and above C108 and the only crystal on the board.

thanks

Wayne
I posted internal pictures somewhere in this forum. I may have higher resolution pictures somewhere
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37120

Blackssr said:
hillzofvalp said:

:
What PSUs do you recommend? Also can I charge the packs as 14s3p and 6s3p or do they need to be equal (10S3P x 2)?

You have to charge in equal halves in order to get the fastest overall charging time. if you charge 14s lipo on one charger it would peak at 550W. if you charger 6S on one charger it would peak at around 475W. (assuming 3.95V is the average load.. ˆI don't use lipo). THe hyperion is limited to 20A output... so use P=IV.

I use 4 ESP 114 psus.. I suggest finding two cheap pc psus that already outputs 24V (you need it to output 550W).

Tower of power: (800W x 4 HP ESP114). It's best to be careful when putting supplies in series. Lots of info on rcgroups.com. I paid around $50 for these supplies total.

Attachments

• IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,108
Back