Hyperion EOS 1420i NET3 14s Balance Charger...

O.k. left my controller on with the eos sentry on a 18s konion pack with 3-6s plugs the 5 or 6 cells high 4.148-4.150 the other cells 4.099-4.112v. So put it on the 1420 for balance it took forever. That pack does not like the 1420. After balance charge a couple cells at 4.202v not as bad as the first 4.222v.charge. with the 1420. So it likes my ping 48v5a charger turned up to 74.1v and don't know what amps it is but the battery loves it. Meaning it more balance with a bulk charge ? The new A123 24s as 2-12s balance prefect to 100% at 3.59v ? That's it ? 100% ? Where is my 3.65v? Don't care, but want to know

Default for life on the 1420i is 3.60V. If you want 3.65v, you have to set it.

Thanks Wesnewell I'm still working on the all the menu's and where they hide. Seems I have to unplug to reset and try to find the right menu's again. Will leave at 3.59v as no worry. But why does it like to run my konion pack over 4.2v at 95% tcs ? I just don't think for a daily rider and battery life and no BMS I need it running over. Only go for a race pack.

999zip999 said:
But why does it like to run my konion pack over 4.2v at 95% tcs ? I just don't think for a daily rider and battery life and no BMS I need it running over. Only go for a race pack.
If end is set to continue instead of stop, it will keep charging after TCS END. So set it to Stop. There's also setting for TCS +/- that may be set to +something.

Well this must be the place to rant about my new Hyperion Charger! It charged a lead acid battery fine but it wont charge my 6 cell lifepo4 A123 pack at all. It wont do it as a bulk charger! It simply says Connection error and makes ambulance noises! What could I be doing wrong. The battery reads 19.6 volts or about 3.22 volts per cell on the DVM. Help!
otherDoc

I have Hyperion chargers too. Same type of PS you're using too. I can only guess it's detecting some kind of fault, or the programming is not set right. Doing a bulk charge w/o balance wires sure seems like that should work? Using the right chemistry & number of cells & you can adjust volts up/down by % of charge... hmmm... strange! You've double checked your volts per cell, wiring, connectors not reversed?

Maybe try programming/charging it though the computer connection? CAUTION & WARNING...Remember to connect power leads & USB (DC too?) in the order required to not damage your charger. See special instructions how to do this.

Subject: A123 AMP20M1HD-A Battery pack kit

docnjoj said:
Well this Hyperion charger is giving me fits, and it may not work correctly. I found 2 bad connections in my balance harnass but I cannot get the Hyperion to start a charge cycle for Lifle battery. It asks me for the number of cells and shows 5 so I change it to 6 cells and it refuses to charge even without the balance connector. I can't believe it! The battery voltage is 19,6 which is 3.22 for each of 6 cells so it ought to work. Very frustrating. Sorry to rant here but I may have to give it back or get a new one that works. It previously charged a 12 volt tractor battery fine.I'm using a 15 volt 24 amp power supply
otherDoc

How are you connecting the 1420i for bulk charge? It should just be the thick red and black wires connected only (no balance wires otherwise you do get "connection error"). And make sure it's set for LiFePO4 6s.

Then when you start it the "balance recommended" message comes up with 5s or 6s displaying above it. If it says 5s press the up arrow button once to change it to display as 6s then press the start button to begin the bulk charge.

docnjoj said:
Well this must be the place to rant about my new Hyperion Charger! It charged a lead acid battery fine but it wont charge my 6 cell lifepo4 A123 pack at all. It wont do it as a bulk charger! It simply says Connection error and makes ambulance noises! What could I be doing wrong. The battery reads 19.6 volts or about 3.22 volts per cell on the DVM. Help!
otherDoc

I have my 12s lifepo4 charging with the 1420 & 2 HP 600 @ 24v 1000w and one is shuting down .573v and the other working but shuting down my charge. I replugged it in and it work for 5min. and went down. It had a vilbrtion and a hum so switch power cords aand the same. Maybe my socket isn't putting out enough ? Or the power supply is done ? At least I have a back up at 12v550w.. But only charges at 6a not the 12 amp. Do they warrant these used power supplies ? What's the humm ?

Sacman said:
How are you connecting the 1420i for bulk charge? It should just be the thick red and black wires connected only (no balance wires otherwise you do get "connection error"). And make sure it's set for LiFePO4 6s.

Then when you start it the "balance recommended" message comes up with 5s or 6s displaying above it. If it says 5s press the up arrow button once to change it to display as 6s then press the start button to begin the bulk charge.

docnjoj said:
otherDoc
Yep it sounds good to me. So why won't it charge? I realizwd my balance wire are faulty but it should still bulk charge to 3.60 with the balancer not connected.
otherDoc

Docnjoj there are alot of menu's and getting to the one I like is very hard like finding tcs %. I know that when charging asingle cell it ask for balance wires and you have to over ride it just by pushing the right button again. That over rides it.

docnjoj said:
otherDoc
If you try and set too high a charge rate that your psu won't support, you will get a connection error. Only solution is to get a more powerful psu (or turn charge rate down). I saw this lots of times when I was using an old computer psu before my 24v 600W got here.

docnjoj said:
Sacman said:

docnjoj said:
otherDoc
Yep it sounds good to me. So why won't it charge? I realizwd my balance wire are faulty but it should still bulk charge to 3.60 with the balancer not connected.
otherDoc

Still getting a "connection error"really??? Damn... don't know what to tell you doc... it doesn't get much simpler than hooking up the red and black wire between battery and charger.

You said your DVM reads 19.6v. Does it read 19.6v on the charger as well when you navigate the menus to the Stats section? Because if it reads 19.6v on the charger then it's defintely connected properly.

wesnewell said:
If you try and set too high a charge rate that your psu won't support, you will get a connection error. Only solution is to get a more powerful psu (or turn charge rate down). I saw this lots of times when I was using an old computer psu before my 24v 600W got here.

FWIW... My experience is that setting the charge rate higher than the PSU can support doesn't give the "connection error". Instead... the the charger begins charging as normal but as it slowly ramps up the current and hits the power limit of your PSU, then the charger craps out and immediately exits the charging mode.

Sacman said:
wesnewell said:

FWIW... My experience is that setting the charge rate higher than the PSU can support doesn't give the "connection error". Instead... the the charger begins charging as normal but as it slowly ramps up the current and hits the power limit of your PSU, then the charger craps out and immediately exits the charging mode.
It's been so long ago, I don't recall the exact message. May have been input error or something like that. I've seen connection error a few times, but it was usually something so simple a quick glance and it was obvious.

I don't use Lifepo4, but if the battery is discharged too much, the charger may not recognize it as a 6s battery. A way around this is to charge it at 5s for a bit (while watching) until the battery voltage comes up enough. Then change to charge at 6s. Just a suggestion.

itchynackers said:
I don't use Lifepo4, but if the battery is discharged too much, the charger may not recognize it as a 6s battery. A way around this is to charge it at 5s for a bit (while watching) until the battery voltage comes up enough. Then change to charge at 6s. Just a suggestion.
Yep I tried that too. No go!
otherDoc

Very strange. My 1420 has been flawless. Do you know anyone else who has this charger? If so, maybe you could try theirs with the same settings. Otherwise, maybe a call/email to technical support, and possibly get a replacement.

Well I finally got it to work on 1S! Whoopie. I am charging a new cell and it seems to be going fine. I will try to set up jumpers and charge 2 and perhaps 3 at a time to 3.60 and we will see. I also have to repair my balance connectors since they are not right yet. But it works, at least on 1 cell! That is progress. I can see a 24 volt power supply in my future! That may be the problem as I am charging with 13 volts but up to 24 amps supposedly! We will see if it works with reduced amps to charge the whole battery (6S) Otherwise I will charge whatever number of cells it wil let me. At least it works!
otherDoc

Well waddaya know! It must have coughed up its hairball and is now bulk charging the 6S battery! I have it set real conservatively at 3.55 volts per cell and 90 % fof that so it should be safe! I also dropped the amps to 3.5 down from 7. Once it charges to that level (prolly to 3.5 volts I will remove the safety cover and try to attach a new ballancer directly to the blocks. I really do not want to take the battery apart again so this will be completely visible just in case I make a mistake with the balance order. Since I am the one who screwed up the traces I have to use this workaround. The second battery will be much improved and I will check each trace twice for continuity. If I am not sure of a connection I will run the balance wire(s) directly from the blocks. This second build should go much more smoothly since I have already done one successfully (mostly)
otherDoc

Well another new discovery. Apparently this PSU that I am using can only put out a max amps of 4.3 and this is charging 6S LifePo4. I guess I do need more power since the purpose of using an external charger is fo a 12S battery!, This looks like it will only do about 2 amps at that voltage. Oh well live and learn
otherDoc

I was charging 12s with 2-6s balance plugs. I was using one HP 600 12v 500w the charger set at 12amp. it could only supply 6a. so hook up the second P.S. for 24v1000w. It charged at 12a but the P.S started humming and shut down unpluged and it reset ( ? ). Then shut down again, so I'm using just one P.S. And reset the amps to 6amp. Does it hurt to have the amps on the1420 set higher than the P.S. can supply, is it hard the on the P.S. ? Pluged in the humming P.S. and it reset with little noise ?. Does the H.P. supply made to shut down and replug to reset ? Is the P.S. defected ? Should I start a thread on P.S. ? Also found more menu's Wahoa. Doc how many times do you flip thru menu's triing to find the one you want ? Frock all this menu's no book, but getting close. Doc fells good when it works and not just flipping menu's and going to fast and pasting the one you want just not to find it again.

999zip999 said:
I was charging 12s with 2-6s balance plugs. I was using one HP 600 12v 500w the charger set at 12amp. it could only supply 6a. so hook up the second P.S. for 24v1000w. It charged at 12a but the P.S started humming and shut down unpluged and it reset ( ? ). Then shut down again,.

Robert 12A sounds a just a bit high. The 1420i charger is good up to 550W and based on 50V (or 12s) the math says you can only charge at (550w)/(50V) = 11A. But to be safe in your situation I'd set the max charge rate at 10.5A.

999zip999 said:
so I'm using just one P.S. And reset the amps to 6amp. Does it hurt to have the amps on the1420 set higher than the P.S. can supply, is it hard the on the P.S. ?

Yes it's definitely hard on the PSU that's why it keeps shutting off. The 1420i also has an input current limit setting (search the menus). You can use this with a single PSU to keep it from trying to kill itself.

Back