I cant find a decent bike

My axle nuts were coming loose under regen even with tight fitting Doctorbass torque plates on both sides. I obtained some Nord Lock washers and torqued them to 60nM - problem completely solved.

Other members of the forum advised that even with the best washers and maximum torque, axle nuts will come loose if there is any play between the axle and dropouts, so a tight fit is essential.

The coming winter, vigilance and patience should land you a good FS bike. Some FS frames have room for a battery in the triangle; you can find some interesting information on mounting batteries to FS frames here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28151. You may be able to land the bare frame for less and build it up with quality parts from a second bike. Bare frames are also cheaper to ship than full bikes; and thus, you can widen your search area.

I'm riding a hardtail at 50-60kph on 2.5" Maxxis Hookworms and my commute is pleasant, as the roads are in decent condition. I took a different route last week to do a pick-up and the roads were rough. I had to slow to under 30 for a bearable ride.

Best of luck on your quest

Back