I don't get it (controller voltage issue?)

Hi, I am converting my moto and I have this Kelly Motor (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-8080h/). Every thing works fine when I'm performing the "angle operation" and I have that wiring set up. But when I switch the wiring back to the normal wiring diagram the following happens.

My on switch is working when I turn it, I hear the TYCO contactor click. However, nothing is on at the level of the controller (7). It seems there is no draw from the controller (I'm guessing a fail-safe for excessive voltage? or something of the sort? But I don't know what the voltage should be besides the 76 volts I have coming from the battery as indicated by the wiring diagram). What does the controller want at port (7)? Or is it something else? When I check my voltage at each point, the voltage is 76v on the coil + side, but on the other side, it's dead. I do have the diode installed. Ideas?

Disclosure: I'm learning as I go so if you think it would be obvious or dumb to tell me something to check, it wouldn't be. Say it all. I'm a DIYer with no previous experience.

https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-8080h/

chelsealuttrall said:
Hi, I am converting my moto and I have this Kelly Motor (https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kls-8080h/). Every thing works fine when I'm performing the "angle operation" and I have that wiring set up. But when I switch the wiring back to the normal wiring diagram the following happens.
Can you post the exact wiring you are using in each case, so we can compare and see if there is a problem?

Not just the schematic Kelly provides as a suggestion, but the actual wiring you are really using, traced out from the wires you actually have connected.

Partly this is because we need to know how it is connected, but also partly to ensure you recheck the wiring to be sure it is really the way you intended it to be.

My on switch is working when I turn it, I hear the TYCO contactor click. However, nothing is on at the level of the controller (7). It seems there is no draw from the controller (I'm guessing a fail-safe for excessive voltage? or something of the sort? But I don't know what the voltage should be besides the 76 volts I have coming from the battery as indicated by the wiring diagram). What does the controller want at port (7)? Or is it something else? When I check my voltage at each point, the voltage is 76v on the coil + side, but on the other side, it's dead. I do have the diode installed. Ideas?

If you have voltage on one side of a contactor's main terminals, but not on the other, it either means the contactor is not actually turning on, or it's contacts are not making contact.

You can verify the contact operation by disconnecting the main terminals from the battery and the controller, but leaving the coil connections and the diode that goes across the coil. Set your multimeter to 20ohms or continuity, and place the red lead on one of the contactor main terminals (there should be no other wires to it), and the black lead on the other contactor main terminal (there should be no other wires to it).

With the system off, you should read OL on the meter display, and/or get no beep.

Turn the system on, and after the contactor clicks on, you should now read a very low ohms reading (nearly zero) and/or get a continous beep from the meter.

If either of those doesn't happen like that, something is wrong either with the ocntactor or with the wiring to it.

Back