Ibis Mojo HD and Bafang BBS02 marriage

Abagrizzli said:
tln said:
Could you move the speed sensor closer to the hub and have the speed sensor on the chain stay? If not attaching without the housing seems like a good idea. Maybe with sugru?

Sugru is an interesting idea. Never heard of it, but from what I google - it can be a good thing. The question is how it will stick to the paint.

The speed sensor does not reach to the chain stay, so I keep it on the brake side. The thing is that I can't attach it on the lower pivot of the triangle, because there is no enough space for the magnet. So I attached it on the bottom side of the upper pivot. It is far from being ideal, because I have no idea how it will behave under jumps. Theoretically, it can be teared away.

Oh, I meant the lower pivot on the brake side.

Sounds like you need to take it off some jumps and see how it holds up :)

tln said:
Sounds like you need to take it off some jumps and see how it holds up :)

No jumping for me yet. :D I start the PT finally this week, after the spinal surgery (nasty fall March 2014, large herniated disc, 9 months of pains etc. - happy stuff :mrgreen: ). Hope I'll be back on wheels till the end of March, if the physician approves. But the bike is for my wife, who doesn't do jumping, at least not voluntarily :mrgreen:

First re-charge:

3 trips on asphalt
46 km range
approx 500 m of total ascent
all with pedal assist
2 bars remain. The first bar is the longest to disappear, others go faster.

Excellent for this small battery, I think.

Another question - what is the best way to pedal the BBS02? On flat and when climbing? I mean when going up - 1 gear (largest cog) on the cassette, which pedal assist level is the best for the motor - 1 or 9 (or 5)? Same question for going on flat.

Just a follow up.

In order to make the bike more pedalable, I decided to ditch the heavy 44T Bafang chainring with it's so called paper plastic "bashguard". After much consideration and search, I went with Alcedo Italia 36T NW chainring. I chose this one, because only they offer the chainring with 36T without the need for adapters. Other options are either bigger (38T and up), or need some kind of adapter.

The order process from Alcedo themselves was less than pleasant. They do not have a smooth international order interface on their website, which means you have to contact them through mail, in order to get a shipping quote, which was very underestimated in my case. After the payment was made, I was contacted by them, that the actual cost is higher (40 EU instead of 25), and was asked either I want to add or cancel the order. No "sorry", no "we apologize", no any other attempt to provide more pleasant experience. It also appeared to be, that they have very limited shipping options - DHL only. All in all due to there unwillingness to work out things, the chainring costed me all in all 160 EU delivered to my door. I think it is outrageous price to pay for one chainring.

I like the chainring though, but I will not order anything from them again.

About the chainring. The CR is 36T narrow wide. No in or out offset, so the chainline moves a little bit out comparing to original 8fun chainring - about 3-4 mm. Ran it with 8-sp SRAM cassette - no issues. The CR holds the chain much better than the original Bafang, and weighs about 200 gr less. Since the CR is smaller, the power usage decreased a little, plus there is more significant save due to the limited ability to pedal the bike. I'd say there is all in all 10% power saving.

Next step is 10sp cassette, which I believe will make the bike almost pedalable, at least flat and 1-5% incline. I expect more power saving with this setup, since more pedal force will be applied. With current setup the custom battery made by Paul from em3ev is enough for 36-37km of trails until the first bar goes (up to 650m ascend), then there is power for another 15km until the battery is dead. We'll see how much can be squeezed with 10sp.

Nice upgrade! Sounds like you have nice range in your setup. How many AH in your battery? Is the 50km total distance after a 100% charge or a 90% charge?

I have a 10 speed on the back, and the smaller gears are not holding up well. I've heard that the 8 speed cassettes are actually
better in this regard.

Hey, thanks )))

According to Paul's data it's Ah(nom): 9.8

The total is for 100% charge, as far as I know (until the charger turns green).

I had 8sp cassette before this one, I wouldn't say it holds good. Although this 10sp setup has not been thoroughly tested yet, but 8sp SRAM cassette with 8sp SRAM chain reached 0.75 wear in 1500 km. It's too little. My gamble is because the 8sp systems are considerably low quality than the 10sp, probably 10sp cassette must be more durable. I also use KMC X10e e-bike specific chain, will see how this one holds up...

Concerning the smaller sprockets - it's my wife's bike, we ride together usually, and my bike is powered solely by 11 force )))) Which means she doesn't use small sprockets - I can't pedal 50 kmh on flats, and she doesn't go 50 on descends. So it shouldn't be a problem. However, since cassettes are pretty standard, you can use higher sprockets from other cassettes, maybe XTR?

Abagrizzli said:
Just a follow up.

In order to make the bike more pedalable, I decided to ditch the heavy 44T Bafang chainring with it's so called paper plastic "bashguard". After much consideration and search, I went with Alcedo Italia 36T NW chainring. I chose this one, because only they offer the chainring with 36T without the need for adapters. Other options are either bigger (38T and up), or need some kind of adapter.

The order process from Alcedo themselves was less than pleasant. They do not have a smooth international order interface on their website, which means you have to contact them through mail, in order to get a shipping quote, which was very underestimated in my case. After the payment was made, I was contacted by them, that the actual cost is higher (40 EU instead of 25), and was asked either I want to add or cancel the order. No "sorry", no "we apologize", no any other attempt to provide more pleasant experience. It also appeared to be, that they have very limited shipping options - DHL only. All in all due to there unwillingness to work out things, the chainring costed me all in all 160 EU delivered to my door. I think it is outrageous price to pay for one chainring.

I like the chainring though, but I will not order anything from them again.

About the chainring. The CR is 36T narrow wide. No in or out offset, so the chainline moves a little bit out comparing to original 8fun chainring - about 3-4 mm. Ran it with 8-sp SRAM cassette - no issues. The CR holds the chain much better than the original Bafang, and weighs about 200 gr less. Since the CR is smaller, the power usage decreased a little, plus there is more significant save due to the limited ability to pedal the bike. I'd say there is all in all 10% power saving.

Next step is 10sp cassette, which I believe will make the bike almost pedalable, at least flat and 1-5% incline. I expect more power saving with this setup, since more pedal force will be applied. With current setup the custom battery made by Paul from em3ev is enough for 36-37km of trails until the first bar goes (up to 650m ascend), then there is power for another 15km until the battery is dead. We'll see how much can be squeezed with 10sp.
I too recently contacted them under a 100 US shipped. I will wait since others are entering this area. Luna Eclipse

The photos of this build have disappeared. If you could reupload them that would be great. Let us know if you've made any further mods over the last couple of years too, as I'm about to modify a Mojo HD in the same way.

Back