• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

im starting to rethink electric

jay7264

100 W
like the title says im starting to rethink going electric dont get me wrong i love my evg global i got a sunthing 28 batterie coming soon its 36v 15 ah im currently able to do 22 mph on 36volt. after being blown away on my way to work by a 4cycle engine kit like i was stamding still he was doing about 35. i have 400$ to blow on either that gas kit or trying to make my evg global run faster. decisions decisions....... this is the one he had i seen it when i cought upto him at a red light http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bicycle-Cycle-Bike-Petrol-Gas-Engine-Conversion-Kit-49cc-4-Stroke-Pull-Start-/171182699716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db48b4c4

If you live where the gasoline kits are legal, and you don't get hassled for the noise when its early in the morning or on a bike path...gassers have a few benefits that are intriguing for someone on a budget.

Low purchase price, hill-climbing, extreme range.

My gasoline bike is noisy vibrates and is all around uncomfortble to ride. The electrics are quiet smooth and a pleasure to spend time on. If you don't mind rattling and rolling get the gas. If you want an enjoyable comfortble ride stay with the electric.

well if i could get a geared hub that will touch close to 30 like around 27 cruising and 30 maxed out i might stick to the electric. but i dont think 36v will do 30 though

of course 36V will "do" 30mph and more everyday.
It depends WHAT 36V drive,
On my USA-designed 36V 1000W EPLUS drive I can sustain 30mph easly on warm summer day, me 66kg, CitySlicker tires 40PSI /not even 50PSI/ pumped, flat, zero wind,
Also 36V 750W FALCO can reach 30mph with light pedalling.

Your problem is similar to anybody driving a car designed in 1995. It aint performing like a 2014 model is it?

While the EVG was a very nice bike in it's day, and the frame from it still is, the motor is a real dinosaur now.
Upgrade to a brushless hubmotor, and you will see a big improvement. Unfortunately though, to get what you really want will take a 48v battery.

There are hubmotors that will go 30 mph on 36v, but you are used to a very torquey motor. If you choose a very fast brushless hubmotor, I predict that you will be very disappointed with how it feels in the first 50 feet from a stop sign.

FWIW, on 48v, a very mundane run of the mill brushless hubmotor blows cheap gas bikes away off the line. But, if you spend a hell of a lot more than $400, you can make a very hot gas bike capable of beating even a hot rodded 40 mph hubmotor.

Before you make any final decisions, you should read up on threads that discuss the 40 mph club. Though it has it's limits, you can make a very cheap hubmotor go 40 mph pretty easy. It just takes investing in 72v. It's cheap and easy to put together a fast ebike. But a very fast gas kit takes lots of money, and lots of expertise to keep the sprockets and chains working at that power level.

Looking closely at that kit, it does look better than the typical 2 stroke china girl kits that are so easily beat by a 48v electric hubmotor. 35 mph from it is plausible. I have seen that kind of speed, and more, from the more expensive Subaru engine gassers. That kit looks like a cheap copy of the Subaru motor.

Nothing wrong with doing both. I have about 6 ebikes, but wouldn't object to a gasser in the garage. You will need another bike to use that kit, it won't easily fit the EVG frame. So why not have one of each? If it disappoints you, sell it and get some of the money back. Along the way, the experiment will be fun.

Have you tried troubleshooting or opening up a 4 stroke engine? Although 2 strokes are simpler to get into, they are loud as hell and wakes the neighborhood. I'll take electric over ICE anyday. :lol:

I went to school for small engines I work at a small engine shop doing both 2 and 4 stroke motors Kawasaki Suzuki shindaiwa echo red max stihl Suzuki just to name a few. My evg global is brushless 24v 250 watt motor. 36v 350 watt controller. I have soldered the shunt and it made a nice difference. But after getting dusted by that 4 stroke I was a little jealous. I have a giant hybrid with 700c sized wheels and I'm thinking of making that my hot rod via gas or nice 750w 36v hub

I did a gasbike once... waste of money. Sold for a profit, but it's the maintenance that makes it useless.

You'll need about 1000 watts continuous to sustain 30mph. That's for an electric wheel.

A mid drive electric probably could get away with a few hundred less watts (hint @lightningrodz GNG kits).

After reading further into this thread, your intention is based on performance. I'd imagine the closest electric kit available that would compete with the $300+ gasser kit you have in the ebay link is a 9C clone direct drive wheels. Then feed it 72V of RC LiCo & (not sure about the amps) into the motor. Going to be more money invested into the electric because of the RC battery & charger investment.

Ouch that falco kit is crazy expensive I could get an elite 250cc for that price and top out at dam near 70mph or get an old 1100 and do over 150mph.

dogman said:
Your problem is similar to anybody driving a car designed in 1995. It aint performing like a 2014 model is it?

While the EVG was a very nice bike in it's day, and the frame from it still is, the motor is a real dinosaur now.
Upgrade to a brushless hubmotor, and you will see a big improvement. Unfortunately though, to get what you really want will take a 48v battery.

There are hubmotors that will go 30 mph on 36v, but you are used to a very torquey motor. If you choose a very fast brushless hubmotor, I predict that you will be very disappointed with how it feels in the first 50 feet from a stop sign.

FWIW, on 48v, a very mundane run of the mill brushless hubmotor blows cheap gas bikes away off the line. But, if you spend a hell of a lot more than $400, you can make a very hot gas bike capable of beating even a hot rodded 40 mph hubmotor.

Before you make any final decisions, you should read up on threads that discuss the 40 mph club. Though it has it's limits, you can make a very cheap hubmotor go 40 mph pretty easy. It just takes investing in 72v. It's cheap and easy to put together a fast ebike. But a very fast gas kit takes lots of money, and lots of expertise to keep the sprockets and chains working at that power level.

Looking closely at that kit, it does look better than the typical 2 stroke china girl kits that are so easily beat by a 48v electric hubmotor. 35 mph from it is plausible. I have seen that kind of speed, and more, from the more expensive Subaru engine gassers. That kit looks like a cheap copy of the Subaru motor.

Nothing wrong with doing both. I have about 6 ebikes, but wouldn't object to a gasser in the garage. You will need another bike to use that kit, it won't easily fit the EVG frame. So why not have one of each? If it disappoints you, sell it and get some of the money back. Along the way, the experiment will be fun.

This is what I did with my EVG bike. Sell the stock part and you can just about pay for the upgrades minus the battery. 1000w motor, 45A Greentime controller on 15S or 20S. Can hit past 40mph on 20S.

IMG01950.jpg

Yup. Everyone has their own reasons why they ride electric. I use the bike pretty much daily and I like the quietude of it, but at 30mph the headwinds blocks out my 5 watt :lol: speakers and pretty much drown out any music that would otherwise drift to my earlobes.

That's as fast as my bike will go. I have to go to my 2 stroke scooter to get anywhere near 40mph. I couldn't even fathom taking music with me on that thing. And that's pretty much where I'm stuck speedwise. I dont' own a car...

I still own my car but can't afford the insurance. And I was getting harrased by the police my area is high crime so I was constantly getting tickets and pulled over fornothing. I love running the red lights. The red light cameras start taking pictured but can't do a dam thing I ain't got no plates so it really puts a smile on my face knowing I'm getting away with it. On a side note when ever I do that its early in the am "no traffic" or late at night. I'm thinking maybe a Mac motor could reach 30 my battery I ordered is a sunthing28 36v 15ah. I'm hoping that battery has the balls for a better motor and controller

You want a MAC?
The following are fairly conservative estimates of what speeds you might expect with the various windings with a 36V battery pack (12S A123 liFePO4) in a 26" wheel assuming a sufficiently powerful controller and battery combination are used:

•12T - 25km/h (15mph). 10T - 32km/h (20mph), 8T - 39km/h (24mph).
•At 48V expect the following, 12T - 34km/h (21mph). 10T - 40km/h (25mph), 8T - 48km/h (31mph).
My 8t on 36 will hit 30 with big tires. A little sluggish compared to 48v but a nice ride.
You really need at least 48v to have a fast ebike.

Dan

A 6t Mac will go 32mph or so on 36v.

A 36v battery is not the route to go for any decently quick ebike. So much easier and better to go 60 or 72v (on a DD hub).

I had a " China Girl " , sold it.. loud, vibrated like mad.... was cheap.

Still have a Mitsubishi 50cc with Staton gearbox..

(page not complete )
http://ypedal.com/ICE/ice.htm

The Mitsu is ok.... i've used it a few times and worked out most of the bugs from it, hard to cold-start but once warmed up... pretty cool kit.

Got a 4 stroke kit in the garage, gathering dust for 2 years.... will get to that come spring.

That being said, i've lined up a few of my bikes to some of the Gas guys in town, my 100v Chaos with a Crystalyte 407 in 20" smokes them off the line... the 100v KMX is just funny with the X5 lol.....

The only thing the gas kits have over my electrics is range, with quick fill ups.... but i rarely have to go over 40 km so i use the e 95% of the time.

Keep in mind your bike is doing the speed limit, where as his is technically illegally fast. I don't see how it's any different than a stealth fighter flying by you...more power = more power

A guy at work has a petrol bike, it goes nicely but he is constantly repairing things on it.

In comparison, my MAC motor has been going for two years and has only let me down once (melted connector).

Yeah, but you 40mph club a 9c motor, and you can easily melt one down in 45 min. So if he goes that route, I wouldn't start singing the praises of electric hubmotors for lasting longer. You gotta stop by about 8-10 miles with that kind of cheap hot rod bike. Problem with that is, he just bought the wrong battery for 40 mph club.

Do it right, with a big expensive 5000w motor, and then you have a real hard to melt setup. Bike might break, but not the motor.

Now that I see he's got the small engine skills, I say go for it and try that 4 stroke kit.

But I also say he'd like it if he can sell off that old heinsmann motor and the other parts to somebody restoring an EVG, then get a nice fast hubmotor kit that will go 30 mph on 36v. You should be able to see at least $300, while keeping the battery box. Or maybe not, since a hubmotor that goes 30 mph on 36v will suck off the line. Repeating, he just bought the wrong battery to make a fun 40 mph bike.

Get the gasser up and going, then maybe start remodeling the EVG?

The 4-stroke gas kit you linked to has a pos tranny that won't last but a few hundred miles. The engine is an unknown manufacturer Honda Clone.
A better trans: http://www.grubeeinc.com/USA/4G/4G%20V%20frame%20Instructions.htm This trans is 2nd best. The best trans is made by a company called... EZM http://ezmotorbike.com/?page_id=16
There are many Honda GXH clones made in China and like everything else, vary in quality. Going to a 4stroke is more expensive than two strokes, but they are cleaner running, get better economy, and are more maintenance free.
I have a Honda/EZM and it cost about $600 USD, gets 125 miles to gallon, and can touch 40mph. One person that frequents a motorized bicycle forum built one for him and his granddaughters that has over 15,000 trouble free miles.

thats a beautiful car but i dont like american vehicles. my vehicle is a trd supercharged solara it goes pretty good bigger injectors highflow cat and resonator removed. 0-60 about 6 seconds i know its not super fast but is quick enough for me. doesnt matter anyway cause i cant afford to drive it anymore. side note i dont have a heinzeman motor on the evg 250w geared brushless hub

jay7264 said:
thats a beautiful car but i dont like american vehicles. my vehicle is a trd supercharged solara it goes pretty good bigger injectors highflow cat and resonator removed. 0-60 about 6 seconds i know its not super fast but is quick enough for me. doesnt matter anyway cause i cant afford to drive it anymore.

Toyota makes good cars. Bought a Camry for my wife. My cars, however are older American. The Corvair in my sig is nearly 50, powered by a 468 CID engine with mods. Sub 12s quarter miles in street trim. My Elcamino is also almost 50, and has 305,000 miles on the original engine. I use it every day there is no snow or ice. I also have a 75 year old chev that runs and drives great. When the Solara reaches 75, I'd like to be able to see it, but I won't live that long.
Good luck

Have fun fixing the chain all the time. Most of the gassers I've seen are slow off the line too. And of course, they are annoyingly loud. I don't think I could put up with 10 miles of that.

Relaxation of a bike goes out the window with an ICE bike.

Back