Importance of RCD Diode !

owais19m

1 µW
Hello ,
I wanted to know if theres a someone who's designed an inverter that had a snubber designed with diode's I(FSM) >=1300A, most likely diodes with this rating come studded due to high power design applications , Im designing a 100kva inverter , I've seen a few designs that had the SKN60F14 mounted but I really cant find them in quantity anywhere , I wanted to ask if these diodes are an overkill for my application ? , or what replacement should i use for high amp fast recovery diodes ? :mrgreen:

My solution for a high current, low cost diode for use in an clamping RCD snubber was to use the body diode in a MOSFET. I've seen decent results with the body diodes current sharing when paralleling as well, when I monitoring current flow through each discrete device leg. I haven't fully tested the idea, but initial results looked promising. I often use the body diode in a MOSFET when I need a high current diode such as preventing damage to lab power supplies when powering motor drives. TO-247 size devices are easy to heatsink too.

Back