In praise of front hub drive (ice)

AF7JA

100 W
These last few days I have noticed an unintended benefit of choosing a front hub motor. As was mentioned elsewhere, the reason for my choosing a front hub motor was because I happen to like my NuVinci rear hub, ruling out a rear hub drive, and the bike has an eccentric bottom-bracket, ruling out mid drive.

The last few days have seen a solid, and thick, layer of ice on the roads. I have studded Schwalbe winter tyres and, as mentioned, this is a commuter bike. The front motor have an element of front drive which, when combined with e conventional drive, gave a nice two-wheel drive effect. In places where the back broke free the front pulled the bike back straight; similarly, when the front started to wash out, the back helped it get a bit of a better bite.

In all, the two worked together quite well. I did set the boost down to a setting of “one.” I have been able to ride easily (as easy as riding in 12-23mph winds on heavily crowned, ice-covered roads can be). I did have a long (6 miles) slog into a 32mph headwind at 19f on Thursday, that was hard on the battery, the voltage kept jumping all over the place; I suspect it was just cold.

My initial interpretation of (ice) was 'internal combustion engine'. :lol:

If the front is loosing traction in a turn, I'd think any push from the rear drive would only hasten the 'wash-out'.

gogo said:
My initial interpretation of (ice) was 'internal combustion engine'. :lol:

If the front is loosing traction in a turn, I'd think any push from the rear drive would only hasten the 'wash-out'.

You are forgetting to factor in studs. The need is just to turn into the skid and push enough to get a bite with the studs again.

. . . as far a a front hub combustion motor, I could swear I have seen a picture of one. . .

That's interesting, I run studs during the winter with rear wheel drive. I would think that any driving force on the front wheel would make the wheel more likely to exceed the force of friction caused by the road (ice) and slip out.

FWIW, here in rain (on the oil-slicked roads, as it doesn't usually rain long enough to wash it off, just set it floating on top of hte water, especially along the sides of the road), 2WD has been a great help in staying upright in situations I might not otherwise have easily done (especially on something as heavy as CrazyBike2).

True enough, with the studs, you could let the front motor just pull you through corners. Without suds, woo eee!

Amazing the difference studs make when the shit hits the fan. But on cars, I found the studs mighty slippery on dry pavement. Get enough snow for the studs this year I bet.

Back