jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

Art!

RIPPERTON said:
It looks even heavier now 8^).

Looks deceive - it's about 300 g lighter ;)

So the adventure starts again in two weeks time!

Mallala Motorsports Park, South Australia will host eFXC Round 1 on the 27th to the 29th of May.

Voltron Evo has now got it's proper fat swingarm and some proper fat tyre - a 200/60 works nicely, but there's room for a 210 :) There's little clearance between the apex of tyre and the back of the swingarm upright, so this might be as big as it gets.

View attachment 2

Karsten and Randy have again done an incredible job - designing and hand-crafting this swingarm from the other side of the world and it fits sub-millimetre perfect. It's quite a bit wider than it needs to be, but better to be clear than not.

20160514_153527.jpg20160514_153516.jpg

The bike is charged, packed and ready to ship! I'm flying in to Adelaide with our new rider for 2016, Tim Boujos, and heading trackside first thing on Friday. Hope to snag a pit garage with three phase power - we'll need quite a bit of juice given there's three races a day scheduled.

Any Adelaide ES folks should high-tail it out to the track!

Is a wider tire going to make any difference without going to a wider rim?

Oh we have a 6 inch rim on there now. From a GSXR1000. Should get more drive out of corners now.

jonescg said:
Oh we have a 6 inch rim on there now. From a GSXR1000. Should get more drive out of corners now.
Yeah.... But will it give you any more contact going from a 200 to a 210? It might just crown the tire more.

We're at Mallala Raceway, South Australia this weekend. Come out and chat with us on Friday cause it's going to be pissing with rain all day :(

Okay, how about a round summary? Well my weekend started with leaving Albany at midday and riding 410 km to Perth to catch a plane. I had a cold which only got worse over the weekend, but fortunately I wasn't the one riding :)

Friday morning was wet, so we took our time getting the bike out, charged and through scrutineering. The other teams had been set up but were waiting for the weather to improve. We missed the first session but the second practice session was on a fairly dry track. Tim did a few laps on Voltron where we were able to adjust the regen settings but there's not much else you can take away from a few cold, slow laps.

It was wonderful to see several SA AEVA folks come up just as we pulled into the pits, but unfortunately for them the wall of water headed our way was imposing, and by about 11 am it started to bucket. The rain and hail didn't let up, until about 40 mm or rain had fallen by 4 pm. At least the pumpkin soup was warm and delicious!

Saturday morning was clear and the sun was slowly warming the track. The eFXC class is always given the first race of the day - yes, the coldest, usually wettest track of the day. The race was declared a wet race about 15 minutes before the pit exit was opened, so we didn't bother putting wet tyres on. Brad Swallow lead the first race from start to finish as he was on the right rubber, while Jason and Tim tip-toed around the circuit to collect second and third.

We put some fresh slicks on Voltron, and for the first time we could fit a 200/65 rear. This means more rubber at lean, and hopefully faster times. The track was plenty dry by the midday race, and Brad and Tim put on a good show.

The Ripperton machine is aout 100 hp and 170 kg, so it could out-brake Voltron into most corners. But Voltron's 130 hp advantage meant the lead would be re-taken within a hundred meters of the last corner. Swallow set a record breaking 1:17.358 only to be taken by Boujos the next lap with a 1:17.284. Boujos took the win from the exit of the last corner by just 53 milliseconds! Jason Morris took third with a new personal best lap time of 1:18.091.

The race schedule was looking increasingly tight, as a few big crashes meant significant delays. We knew that if time was tight, the afternoon eFXC race might be cut. But after not hearing any word from race control, the helmets were on and the bikes were ready. Then we watched the flag marshals pack up for the day. Yes, they failed to tell just three riders that the last race had been cancelled. More on this later...

Sunday morning's race was frustrating for Boujos as an uncharacteristic inverter fault stopped him at the exit of turn three. It took a few seconds to re-start but by this stage Swallow and Morris were in the distance. Swallow set a blistering new lap record of 1:16.408 and took first place with Morris a mere half-second behind. Morris also set a new personal best of 1:17.589.

Swallow's pace on the Ripperton machine took it's toll, as the already tired battery pack was now toasted. The bike's builder, Danny Ripperton said three blocks of cells were reading zero volts at the end of the race. He worked as had as he could to recover something, but the job was too big for the weekend.

Race four was at midday and the track was warmer, but only Morris and Boujos gridded up. A delayed start to clear some debris from the track meant the bikes were allowed a second warm-up lap to keep some heat in the tyres. Unfortunately this drained the pack slightly, meaning both bikes would be down on power and this showed in the lap times. Frustratingly for Morris, the Varley PR1 threw a controller fault costing him time.

The last race of the day was again graced with just two bikes, but the Varley PR1 machine hadn't been charged fully while the cause of the fault was isolated. Boujos set a blistering pace with an opening lap of 1:19.532 and a record-breaking flying lap of 1:15.723. Morris had to nurse the bike home after heading out with an already depleted pack, but still collected points for the round. A DNF or a non-start can be costly in a small field.

Mallala Race 5 podium.jpg

Points standings after Round 1:
Tim Boujos (WA) - Voltron Evo - 115
Jason Morris (NSW) - Varley PR1 - 108
Brad Swallow (NSW) - Ripperton R1 - 72

Round two of the eFXC (Australian Electric Superbikes) kicks off at Queensland Raceway, Willowbank on Friday the 8th of July. There will be four bikes on track this time - Two from Varley, Ripperton (sporting the new, publicly funded battery pack :D ) and Voltron Evo.

We're going to be riding in the same practice sessions as the Pro-Twins and naked bikes, so no more scaring 300 Ninja riders witless as we barrel into a turn with a good 100 km/h closing speed. Should give us all a bit of a tow along too. It will be good to see how our times stack up with the KTMs and Ducatis; Tim would have placed fourth in the class had we enough capacity in the battery.

Entry is free on Friday but Saturday and Sunday will cost you $40 for both days, or $30 a day. Yep, they're doing their best to attract spectators... :roll:

See you there!
Chris

Good luck with your beautiful bike Chris!

Race 4, Sunday afternoon. Tim took 4 wins from 4 and set a new electric bike lap record of 1:16.184. This is just 4 seconds a lap behind the 600s!
[youtube]AxKWxXIiYeI[/youtube]

I'll write up a bit of a race summary soon. Not the best weekend for some, unfortunately.

Sorry, no weekend report yet. To be honest, it wasn't great. Ripperton's machine had another motor smoke event in qualifying which meant he was done before the weekend began.

The Varley bikes were running hot and cold, with one finishing a race while the other would just cut out. Then they'd swap. On the last race of the day, Jason's bike cut out on the first lap so he rode it into the pits, parked it up and got on a plane back to Newcastle. I haven't heard what Varley are up to with their bikes, but it's not looking promising :(

Worse, the series organisers left us with two races a day - one at 8.45 am and another at 4.30 pm - sunrise and sunset races effectively. So we sit around all day Saturday and Sunday twiddling our thumbs talking to the odd curious passer-by. They are always upset that they never see us racing because they always arrive at 10 am and leave at 3 pm...

So who knows what Sydney will bring.

In Voltron news, the bike is running superbly and the suspension and geometry changes appear to have worked. The new 6 kWh battery (well, about half of last season and two round of this season) is sitting 50 mm lower in the bike than the old 6 kWh pack. This means the lower CoG earned us a bit of rake adjustment, so we dropped the forks through about 13 mm. It massively improved stability under brakes without making it run wide on corner exits. It's still reluctant to pull a tighter radius, but we still have a 21.5 degree rake at best. Ideally we'd have 23+.

I've decided to re-design the main control board too. This has an improved layout and easy-to-install mezzanine layer for the relay control PCB. All the holes are plated through Vias, meaning you can solder brass nuts to the back for holding components down.

Main control PCB2.jpg

I'm also designing another battery pack for these new FEP cells. I should be able to get 8 kWh on board with the same mass and volume as the current 6 kWh pack. Slight power hit - only 10C continuous and 20C burst but hopefully good enough for what we need.

Plan is to be able to complete a 6 lap race at Wanneroo with power to spare. Then we can practice and compete with the Club 1000 machines.

Oh, and I've ordered one of these. Yep, we're going into production*!

* Limited production. Like, I'm building another bike frame :)

Exciting times!

Yep very disappointing weekend for Team Ripperton.
Ive replaced the burnt stator, serviced the pack ie tightened 588 M4 busbar bolts and took the controller out and apart to see if there was any dark matter in there.
Also tightened all of its heatsink bolts.
Its back together and will be looking for a ride day at SMP to go for a test run but all systems go for the next eFXC round at SMP.
Ive found myself a job to pay off my credit card and of course start my next bike. Ive got a 2004 CBR1000RR with carbon wheels but I dont like line 4 frames the way they bell out around the engine so I might be getting a VFR1000 SP2 frame and swingarm from the US and fit the CBR front end and wheels. Then an Emrax 268 with a Rinehart PM 100DXR on 400v 24Ah 9.4kWh for a projected build weight of 190kg for 25km range at race pace.
Went to StGeorge club meeting this week and we are deciphering the latest MA ruling concerning electric bikes. The say we are to be put into our own class but there was confusion as to whether that meant our own race ie grid. If so, we are back to square one because as we already know electric bikes are not going to work with 3 bikes on track so Craig Johnston from MA is going to quiz Peter Doyle about this new rule.
Back to square one means we get into kart racing or motocross.

Thats a nifty frame jig. Still think you would be better off starting with something Japanese and then just mod the swingarm.

I think IF Motorcycling Australia embraces electric bikes, it will be when we rock up with 12 competitors. Ideally, 12 bikes of similar capabilities. Hence why I'd rather develop Voltron to a point where we can fit in with an existing class like the Pro-Twins or FX-C and D graders. The limitation will always be the number of laps we can cut before the battery is flat.

Also, ASBK races are less often, but more laps. 12 lap races at Barbagallo is totally out of the question even with 9 kWh on board.

But club racing with 6 lap races is perfect.

Holy crap, did you know the latest Rinehart PMDZ's are 820v max operating.
http://www.rinehartmotion.com/uploads/5/1/3/0/51309945/pm100-150datasheet_2.pdf
192s :shock:

Yeah, they've gone up from 720 max operating. That's a lot of cells!

The answer is always more phase current!

Not much to add lately, except to mention that Voltron won't be making an appearance at the Sydney round of the FX-Superbikes. Basically it's a big expense to roll around with one or maybe two other bikes. Tim is far enough ahead in points to still be in front anyway :lol:

The silver lining though, is that because Ripperton was the only entry for the round, the organisers put Brad Swallow in with the Pro-Twins. This makes a lot of sense, as one bike is not a race. But it actually gets are what we've been requesting some time - to practice and compete alongside the FX-Pro Twins and Naked Bikes. This is a rag-tag class of SVs, KTMs and Ducatis, as well as the dominating Irving Vincent (1600 CC V-Twin). Tim's lap times would put Voltron fourth in the class of a dozen bikes, and Brad on board Ripperton wouldn't be too far behind. The only issue is the range. Voltron can do an out-lap and three fast laps of Eastern Creek before coming in to the pits. We'd need to be able to do 5 fast laps to complete a race with these guys, however next year's battery packs should put us well in contention.

It will be exciting to see how Brad goes next weekend. He'll be pulling in after 3 race laps but at least the track allows you to come in soon after finishing (Turn 4). Nothing makes you ride fast like being behind someone :)

In the meantime, check out my new project - the Voltron Evo Replicator!

Frame jig.jpg

I'm also working on an 8 kWh battery which weighs the same as the current 6.2 kWh battery. Should give us that extra lap at pace :)

Tim is far enough ahead in points to still be in front anyway
Gloria has promised a lot of things to avoid refunding me my $800 entry fee.
This is what pushed her to put my bike into the Twin class. Also said Brad would be earning points during the 5 races.
If he completes 3 laps in each race he will end up 7 points ahead of Tim :twisted: so it will be a championship again !
She also mentioned the move to Twins could be temporary so Brad and I need to prove that the logistics can be done,
that way we have a point to argue and can push to make it permanent.
The Twins do 7 laps at SMP and theres no way we will ever get an electric bike to go that far.
Brad will be waiting at pit exit for the Twins to come through on their 2 lap sighting warmup laps.

RIPPERTON said:
Also said Brad would be earning points during the 5 races.
If he completes 3 laps in each race he will end up 7 points ahead of Tim :twisted: so it will be a championship again !

Yeah, we've been promised 5 races before today too...

Best of luck with it, and hopefully it sticks. I can build a battery that will do the distance, but it will make for a 240 kg bike again :x

Really hope to see you guys against the twins. FWIW hats you are an inspiration, post if you are in Brisbane, I'm keen to lobby for EB racing.

Chris,

interested to hear what your plans are for the bike frame jig? Do you intend to build a new improved Voltron or are you going into low rate production? Track or road legal version?

As always great to see your your latest ideas!

Back