jonescg's NEW electric racebike BUILD thread!

I was watching speedweek on sbs tv yesterday when these last races came on and the Voltron was the talk of the commentators, thrilling race, incredible acceleration but no result till I realized you's only did 4 laps,
well done all

race 1, a bit squirrelly tho

[youtube]soco8dTIeAY[/youtube]

It is certainly possible to build a bike to capable of winning club races at the full distance. It helps to have a phenomenal rider as well, but I think you've got one or two of those kicking around Oz...!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/brammo-empulse-rr-beats-twins-ahrma-showdown

turp1.jpg

Bike above won an 8 lapper overall with just under 14kWh on-board and a weight of 213kg.

Watching developments in your series with much interest... Best wishes!

Club 1000 racing at Barbagallo Raceway is normally an out lap + 6 race laps. We would just have enough in our current battery to do this, but you'd be down on power as you approached the checked flag.
With a bit of spending money I can make Voltron ~203 kg with 8 kWh on board, making an 8 lap journey possible. The FX bikes do 8 laps of Queensland Raceway where we just have enough for 4, so even the 8 kWh setup wouldn't be enough.

If we were only racing against RD350s and CB750Ks, then we could have put a lighter motor in there and had more room for batteries, but I'm trying to beat 1000s ;)

jonescg said:
Club 1000 racing at Barbagallo Raceway is normally an out lap + 6 race laps. We would just have enough in our current battery to do this, but you'd be down on power as you approached the checked flag.
With a bit of spending money I can make Voltron ~203 kg with 8 kWh on board, making an 8 lap journey possible. The FX bikes do 8 laps of Queensland Raceway where we just have enough for 4, so even the 8 kWh setup wouldn't be enough.

If we were only racing against RD350s and CB750Ks, then we could have put a lighter motor in there and had more room for batteries, but I'm trying to beat 1000s ;)

Right - We also were racing against 1000s, albeit V-twin Ducatis. SOT1 is AHRMAs fastest class, which Shane Turpin would normally race his WSBK spec Ducati 1098 or Boulder Motorports Panigale... No RD350s in that race.

05.JPG

Anyhow... I think your goal is admirable and achievable. Best of luck with the next gen build. I hope you start a similar thread to cover the new design as I've enjoyed following this one from afar.

The Brammo Empulse we had at Eastern Creek at the end of 2014 was Eric Bostrum's old machine. I assume some mods have been made to the current crop of Brammos, cause that bike wasn't even in the race.
http://www.computime.com.au/meetings/2014/SWANN6/SWANN14_6_R17.pdf

There was talk of getting the RR over here last year, but I guess they borrowed it for the IOM?

I'd say Taz should be able to knock 4 seconds off Pottz's record in Sydney, putting our times about 6 or 7 seconds a lap behind the Superbikes at Eastern Creek. Faster is great, but we need more energy density. Hopefully the new pack will see us out for at least 2/3rds of a gas bike race.

jonescg said:
The Brammo Empulse we had at Eastern Creek at the end of 2014 was Eric Bostrum's old machine. I assume some mods have been made to the current crop of Brammos, cause that bike wasn't even in the race.
http://www.computime.com.au/meetings/2014/SWANN6/SWANN14_6_R17.pdf

There was talk of getting the RR over here last year, but I guess they borrowed it for the IOM?

The bike you are referring to that raced in eFX was an Empulse TTX, which is based on a production bike, much like the Zero that was also competing around that time. The Empulse RR is more similar to your bike and the other prototypes. The RR was typically 10-15 seconds faster per lap than the TTX at races run here. Eric Bostrom did ride it for a few events during the 2014 season to assist with chassis tuning and development.

Compare Shane Turpin and Eric's best laps from the last event that both bikes competed in together:
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/3248784

If anyone was talking about bringing an RR to Australia last year, it wasn't with me. We did take a version of the bike to the TT in 2015 and 2016.

Cool. So whats a quick lap around Miller on a superbike? I'm always wondering how the progress of electric motorbikes is progressing around the world relative to known benchmarks like 600 and 1000 times. Currently Voltron sits about 5 to 7 seconds behind a CBR1000 with the fastest riders in Oz onboard. The last few seconds are the toughest!

Probably easiest to compare at Laguna Seca...

http://www.motoamerica.com/results

Superstock 600 fastest lap: 1.26.810

Supersport 600 fastest lap: 1:26.552

Superbike 1000 fastest qualifying lap: 1:23.6 (Toni Elias in 2016)

We haven't raced there since 2014, but our best lap there was a 1:31.6 (Shane Turpin in 2014)

Quick! I recall the Mission was a similar time - about 1:31 or so.

We're getting up there :D

jonescg said:
Quick! I recall the Mission was a similar time - about 1:31 or so.

We're getting up there :D

Yes, the Mission R, with Steve Rapp onboard, set a lap record of 1:31.3 during qualifying for the TTXGP/FIM ePower race in 2011(!)

RappDanKaplan.jpg

Brammo managed to set a new race lap record of 1:32.5 in the 2013 FIM ePower race. We tried to take the overall lap time record from Mission during the 2014 ReFuel Time Trial, but we had a current fault on our last flying attempt, so in the end we only managed the 1:31.6 I mentioned earlier and we never went back, so Mission holds that record to this day.

As a side note, here's the latest on what's happening with the Mission R assets: https://medium.com/@sethml/impossibilia-resurrecting-the-mission-r-electric-superbike-75a23075c4a4#.odmbqm9xr

The Mission R show bike is already in the UK and was on display on the Vayon stand at a recent low Carbon Vehicle event.

It was sporting a nice set of carbon brake discs and some rather old school looking brake callipers.

No sooner has Vayon bought the remnants of Mission Motors than it goes bust.

Wonder where we'll see the Mission bikes next...

Okay Sydneysiders (and nearby ES members) more eFXC action this coming weekend!

We're headed to Sydney Motorsports Park (aka Eastern Creek Raceway) for the last round of the FX Superbikes. As before, we will be racing with the pro-twins for half of their race, so there's two races on Friday afternoon and three on Saturday.

We're in the pit garage closest to the circuit entry, but Voltron almost always sets up in the open garage to the south. 3-phase power is available there :)

And as always, the live feed can be found on the http://www.FXsuperbikes.com.au website.

Hope to see some of you there!

Ack, I've got an important work meeting at 2pm, and being an hour away that really writes off my whole arvo :(
Do you know what time the first race is scheduled ? If it's early I might be able to get out over lunch and say g'day and hopefully catch it.

Jay, I reckon it will be about 2 pm on Friday and the second race probably about 4 pm. First race on Saturday is probably about 10 am, then 1 pm and 4 pm (or thereabouts).

Look - they're paying people to come!
http://www.fxsuperbikes.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2016-Swann-Superbikes-Rd6-Competitor-Financial-Incentive.pdf

:lol: ... :cry:

Do you have 10 friends to cash in on the incentive ? :p
I thought the friday was free anyway ? Or did I somehow scam my way in last time ? :lol:

Bugger, 2pm is exactly when I'm tied up. I'll see if I can kajigger something...

And that's a wrap for 2016, and eFXC for the foreseeable future.

Only after I'd shipped the bike to Sydney, paid for flights, booked accommodation and entry fees, did we find out we weren't racing with the pro-twins like we thought we would :x

We asked the organisers why this happened - no answer. So as per normal, we had two races a day at either end of a very long day. Friday was bucketing with rain so we had no practice on a track Taz has never ridden before. Still, Ripperton sourced an old set of wets for us, which made it a far safer expedition than on shagged slicks.

Saturday was a nice fine day, so our first race went well - nothing amazing just two bikes quietly circulating while nobody watched. By the afternoon the commentators had packed up and gone and the TV crews had put their gear away, so Taz and Brad decided to just muck around for the last race. Bit of catch and release, then a big wheelie out of the last turn for some fun in the very late afternoon sun. I'll put some onboard footage up soon, but it's nothing special.

We're all sitting out for 2017 and developing our bikes in the background. Voltron will be raced in club 1000 races locally once bike racing resumes at Wanneroo. I hope to put a bigger battery in, and work on being able to complete 8 laps of Wanneroo at race pace. We can *just* do 6 laps at the moment on the current pack. I hope to start putting a second bike together using all that we've learned from Voltron-Evo and eventually start pitching them to other racers who might be keen.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest!

Chris

Race organizers have a record of making very poor choices with respect to quick EV's getting seen racing against ICEs.

You should at least have some awesome on track hooning footage out of the trip!

Sorry to hear the treatment you copped from the organisers especially considering how far you travelled. Very disappointing :(
I was stuck in meetings and couldn't get away but was thinking of you on Friday as it bucketed down! Glad to hear there were no mishaps in the wet (either electrical or physical!)

[youtube]LLrwBwIoE1k[/youtube]

Mad editing skillz :D

Jeez, been a while since I last fired up this thread!

The AEVA will have a showing at the Mighty Car Mods expo at Barbagallo Raceway. Bikes are still not allowed on the circuit, but it's more of a car show anyway. Hopefully marty and Moog take an interest in some of the cool electric cars and bikes in Perth. I'll take Voltron up so if you want to catch up and have a chat, that's where we'll be!

https://mightycarmods.com/collections/events/products/mcm-nationals-perth-2017-general-entry

See you there!
Chris

Cheeky visit to the old RAC DTEC circuit by the Perth Airport :D
[youtube]CY3-UkAXbjw[/youtube]

I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought I would mention the range on Voltron.

On Sunday the AEVA was at the Mundaring Blue Sky Festival - a street market with various offerings. Since this was about 32 km away in the hills, I decided to get a temporary permit and ride it to the fair. I was being chaperoned by a friend in his iMiEV as I had no idea how fast I was going (but almost certainly faster than the speed limit) so I was travelling at the speed limit for the most part.

The return trip was a bit less hilly, but longer, so a total trip of about 55 km. The battery voltage was down to about 645 V, which is about half way. So basically at 60-80 km/h, Voltron manages about the same efficiency as the scooter - about 55 Wh/km.

Why is this news? Because in the 5 or so years of owning Voltron, we've never gone anywhere slowly before. It's not a comfortable bike for that I can tell you :lol:

Back