JP spot welder

I have two car starter batteries, but neither are rated in AH. In fact both have the same rating of CCA@ O degrees F 650 and CA @ 32 degrees F 800. What are my options for the two kits using these batteries? BTW this opportunity could not have happened at a better time for me, thank you.

I would only use one battery. I haven’t sourced nickel yet or determined thickness. I was going to experiment until cell welds looked good. Suggestions are welcome.

I'm most likely to get one when I'll do my next battery pack.

For member convenience it may help to have a link to all the additional parts required to make it work. You know copper wiring, battery, etc.

So that we know how much we're going to end up spending to have our spot welder ;)

cwah said:
I'm most likely to get one when I'll do my next battery pack.

For member convenience it may help to have a link to all the additional parts required to make it work. You know copper wiring, battery, etc.

So that we know how much we're going to end up spending to have our spot welder ;)

Good idea, I will post some links. Although for battery itself it would be better to buy it locally, because it's heavy.

Also you don't anything besides battery and 12V ~500 mA wall supply :)

he includes everything, including electrodes. (i dont think you make that clear enough in the OP Riba)
need battery and 12v power.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-hd-battery-farm-and-truck-battery-group-size-31-950-cca-31s30/2100096-P
^^ use a coupon and should be $140 out the door. Should be good for 0.3mm nickel and 0.1 copper no problem. And the terminals are better for lugs, then other starter batteries. You can bolt them right on.

ah yes I missed that part. Just battery needed.. I like the sound of that 8)

But it's still good to know spare availabilities. Can you include some warranty too?

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68865&p=1038776&hilit=amps#p1038776
riba2233 said:
3. as far as battery choice is considered, internal resistance is most important stuff. Too high, you wont be able to weld well, too low, and you will blow mosfets. This is a simple circuit, and only thing limiting current is resistance in battery and connections. So, in particular, I recommend 45 Ah to 90 Ah battery for standard version (380 to 760 cranking amps) and up to 130 Ah battery for stronger version. I haven't tested other types of batteries, such as gel, AGM, or various li-ion batteries, so I can't tell anything from experience, but you can calculate their internal resistance and match it to starter batteries. And you can experiment of course. I have named what works well, so that's a good starting point, and honestly I don't see a need for using anything else because starter batteries are great for this purpose, and they are cheap any widely available.
Having sent my PayPal monies for one of the stronger versions and considering battery, I got around to reading the thread for choice of battery. Same question posed earlier, whether I can may 48V 40ah A123 AMP20 battery pack work for the welder too. I can reconfigure that to 12V 160ah. So the question is would that work? Real question is workable voltage, amp-hour ranges? What is the welders amperage - how much is its draw at peak? Thanks!

okashira said:
he includes everything, including electrodes. (i dont think you make that clear enough in the OP Riba)
need battery and 12v power.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-hd-battery-farm-and-truck-battery-group-size-31-950-cca-31s30/2100096-P
^^ use a coupon and should be $140 out the door. Should be good for 0.3mm nickel and 0.1 copper no problem. And the terminals are better for lugs, then other starter batteries. You can bolt them right on.

Yes, I will clean up first post once I manage to find some spare time :shock: hehe :D
This battery is good if someone really wants to weld 0.3 nickel.

cwah said:
ah yes I missed that part. Just battery needed.. I like the sound of that 8)

But it's still good to know spare availabilities. Can you include some warranty too?

Yes, warranty will be 6 months, if the unit is use in recommended conditions.
Can you be more specific on spares? I don't know what part(s) do you have in mind.

arkmundi said:
Having sent my PayPal monies for one of the stronger versions and considering battery, I got around to reading the thread for choice of battery. Same question posed earlier, whether I can may 48V 40ah A123 AMP20 battery pack work for the welder too. I can reconfigure that to 12V 160ah. So the question is would that work? Real question is workable voltage, amp-hour ranges? What is the welders amperage - how much is its draw at peak? Thanks!

Well I can't be sure how would batteries other than lead starer work, so the best thing you can do is try to calculate IR and compare it to some starter batteries. Depends on what you want to weld, currents are between 500 and ~1500 (this is just approximation, not measured). But it's only for milliseconds. In case of lifepo4 3S or 4S configuration would be fine voltage vise. You can start with 3S 3P maybe.

I suppose we can now have car starter that are not too far from lead batteries:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38000mAh-Car-Multi-Function-Jump-Starter-Booster-Charger-Battery-Power-Bank-LED-/201306124197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edec7afa5

600A from this one if they are not lying. So 2 of them would make a nice compact portable spot welder!

I'd be interested to know where to get good nickel/copper sheet at good price, where to get spare electrodes, mosfet, etc.

cwah said:
I suppose we can now have car starter that are not too far from lead batteries:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38000mAh-Car-Multi-Function-Jump-Starter-Booster-Charger-Battery-Power-Bank-LED-/201306124197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2edec7afa5

600A from this one if they are not lying. So 2 of them would make a nice compact portable spot welder!

I'd be interested to know where to get good nickel/copper sheet at good price, where to get spare electrodes, mosfet, etc.

Ok, this are my favorite sources for nickel, i think they are cheapest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2m-Tape-8-X-0-1T-DIY-Nickel-Plated-Steel-Strip-Sheet-for-Battery-Welding-Wack-/291292834759?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d267ebc7

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lm386n-op-amp-audio-amplifier-0-25w-dip-8/1781712921.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-18650-battery-nickel-strip-0-3mm-nickel-plate-18650-26650-cell-nickel-belt-Lithium/2050756060.html

I wouldn't trust much there starters from ebay. I think that they can't even crank, they charge the battery first and then you can crank.

I buy mosfets from tme.eu, you can buy them from anywhere you want, or from me, since I buy them in bulk and get discount :) I don't even know who sell electrodes, but if you ever need spares, I will give them for a good price, don't worry.

sometrike said:

Thanks, replied! :)

Thanks Riba.

What do you mean by they can't even crank? If that doesn't pull the 600A as advertised, I'd just raise a paypal claim lol.

I've seen most lead acid are about the same price and lower amp (eg. 400A) anyway.

oh no, stay away from those emergency batteries please. Its not just eBay, but Amazon too ... [Power Upgraded] Spirit (TM) A8 Car Jump Starter 18000mAh Booster Emergency Power Source Emergency Auto Start Power & Ultra-bright LED Flash Light for SOS & High Capacity Power Bank for Cellphone Tablet Laptop - Black. Sounds great doesn't it, till you dig under the covers. A case of marketing hype and obscurificaton.

What's powering all of them (and there are a lot of different models, sellers) are cheap little lipo pouches and not many of them. When they say something like 18000mAh, at what voltage? Everyone assumes 18ah at 12V, right? So that's 216 watt-hours,at $78 or $361 per kwh, better than the Tesla PowerWall. Fantastic, huh? But noooooo. Its 18ah at maybe 1V or 2V, the "rated voltage", and you don't know, because the secret is hidden. So 36 wh at $78 or $2,166 per kwh. Not so happy anymore. Then 400 amps peak, but for how long? And then the reports of the units exploding when subjected to any demand, because they are cheap lipo. Pleaaaase, pleaaase say away from that crap!

I wonder if there are some cheap A123 we could get somewhere? These cells have incredible power and last forever.

It would be small compact and long lasting power supply.

I think they do something like 20C per cell. If that's what they have it should be possible.

cwah said:
I wonder if there are some cheap A123 we could get somewhere? These cells have incredible power and last forever.

I think they do something like 20C per cell. If that's what they have it should be possible.

They will be more expensive than lead starter for sure. And used in this conditions, lead starter battery will last probably forever lol.

cwah said:

Why do that? You can get a cheap car starter battery for $60. Heck, if you really want to cheap and sly, pick up one at Sears on warranty and use it till it dies (don't even charge it) then bring it back dead for a refund under warranty. Not my choice of cheapness, but it has been done by others before.

Main reason is space. A lead acid battery is massive. If you need 2 it's 2 times massive. And it's not cheap enough so that I could bin it when not in use.

Ideally something small I can park somewhere out of use most of the time would be ideal

cwah said:

OSNPower, still at $36, but shipping from China costs. Would be more than happy to manage a group buy of A123 AMP20 cells - a 4S2P design, per earlier comments on sizing a battery. So that is 8 cells at $36 per or $288, plus postage, USA only. Or wait till I have my JP and I'll experiment to see if 3S2P works, maybe even 3S1P, which would bring the cost down even more.

A raging debate of the merits of lead versus lithium in the Tesla Powerwall $350 / kwh Retail thread.

Back