JP spot welder

Yeah, there are :)

First, I must say that these batch wont be so soon, I got a full time job and I will have to work on welders slower.

So, I'm working on new electrode design with changeable tips, I think it will become standard, only the more flexible cable will be option for about $10 extra or so.

XwhM8MYl.jpg

h4o1vVkl.jpg

Of course this electrode is not finished, I hope that's clear :)

Congrats on getting a FT job. Hope it's something you enjoy.

When you get those cable's done Id be interested in buying a set if possible.

Just started using my spot welder and it works perfect!

So much easier to make battery packs now!

yay!

crashalot said:
I would like to buy one to weld Chevy volt pouch cells.

Please let me know when you have it ready.

HI, I will let you know, but I'm nor sure it could weld thick tabs on those pouches, especially if they aluminum which requires special welders.

markz said:
Looking forward to it riba

:)

Hi people! I'm here to say that JP spotwelder is a nice piece of hardware small, reliable and easy to use.
The service is great too: one night I wrote to riba asking some questions about the spotwelder the answer arrived really fast (fast like 5 minutes!).

I'm using it coupled to a optima yellow top 975cca AGM battery and I use it with 3ms pulses.

Thanks for that great product!

Just placed my order 8) .

Got a couple of questions. Not sure if I should order 0.1mm nickel or 0.15mm nickel. As a trade off between ease of welding, strength, and current carrying capacity, what is the recommended choice? I plan on building a 20S5P Samsung INR18650-25R pack with a view to draw 40A max.

In relation to source batteries, I have a heap of headway 10AH cells lying around. I am thinking of using these in a 3S3P config so 10.8V 30AH. Can anyone see a problem with this setup?

Headways are too weak, 30Ah are nowhere near enough... You need 1100-2200 A for welding.

For nickel width, depends of how you are going to connect cells. You can make so that nickel is not carrying almost any current, and I prefer that way. You make parallel groups with thin nickel, 0.1 is enough, because there is no current passing there, and you connect parallel groups in series with soldered copper wire. You solder between cells so you don't heat them at all.

Here is my example:

Z1qMEuEl.jpg

But if you want nickel to pass current, use large 0.15 mm nickel sheets instead of strips, like madin88 did, look at his DN5 topic, really nice.

Is it better to weld Nickel strips to make the series connections and then solder a thin copper wire in the middle of the Nickel strips for paralleling? Or the way you did it by paralleling with welded Nickel strips and series with soldered Copper.

Cool spot welder. I like a lot.
Now we just need some sort of stand which to place the spot welders tip which can then be pressed down by a leverage preferable with a spring mechanism and it will look and operate like the store bought ones.

If I do my own pack I will for sure get your welder. Great initiative.

mistercrash said:
Is it better to weld Nickel strips to make the series connections and then solder a thin copper wire in the middle of the Nickel strips for paralleling? Or the way you did it by paralleling with welded Nickel strips and series with soldered Copper.

No, that is opposite of what you should do :) Just think of where does the current go, it goes in series direction, not between parallel cells, so it's definitely better to do it the way I did it.

macribs said:
Cool spot welder. I like a lot.
Now we just need some sort of stand which to place the spot welders tip which can then be pressed down by a leverage preferable with a spring mechanism and it will look and operate like the store bought ones.

If I do my own pack I will for sure get your welder. Great initiative.

Thank you! :)

i can assure you that the hand held electrodes are great solution, no need to fix what ain't broken :D

Yeah I watched your video on the spot welder. Seems perfect the way it is. Quick and easy to spot weld.

WooHoo! I'm on the list and very excited. Take your time, nothing better than patience when it come to quality of build. I saw some of your work, by pictures, well done! Our conversations have me poking around Croatia by Google. What a beautiful place!

How's the new job going? I hope this turns into an even more successful project. Your focus on improvements is laudable!

Back