KMX tadpole trike with canopy, Windwrap, cromotor, 10KW

Hi, are the heatpads doing great work with keeping the batteries warm ? At which temps do you keep the lipos ?

kenwood96 said:
Hi, are the heatpads doing great work with keeping the batteries warm ? At which temps do you keep the lipos ?

The heatpads are only 6W ea for a total of 70W heating inside the box. This is not much but so far, I had no batery sag at low temperature until I hit the

According to my temperature sensor, the average temperature inside the box is only 5 deg C higher compare to the ambient. I would need a sensor in direct contact to the battery to have a better idea.

Are you satisfied with the zippy 's ?

I also wonder how much toe -in you applied on the front....

I have 3-4mm of toe-in and I've taken my KMX up to 52mph... uphill... :)

Glad to hear your batteries aren't sagging, my a123 pack has been great until I get well below freezing. Then acceleration suffers. 28mph top speed at -23C... though that's from BMS cutoff, it could go faster with a smarter BMS but this is healthier for the cells. Someday I may put together a heater and do a fancy build like yours Adam :) but it probably still won't be so polished.

kenwood96 said:
Are you satisfied with the zippy 's ?

I also wonder how much toe -in you applied on the front....

Zippy's are ok so far, although some cells will have their voltage dropping quickly below 3.5V while the rest of the pac is still fine. Just because of that I need to restrict the LVC to 3.6V or 3.7V I have yet to find an alternative to the Hobbyking cell low price. They sag badly at low temperature unless you control their temperature. The capacity will also go down with the time. On my first ebike, those 8000 mAh zippy are now only supplying 6000 mAh after 3 years.

Toe-in is roughly the same as it was on the brand new KMX but I didnt mesure it. There is some toe-in for sure as the bike remain stable and goes straight at 40 mph without touching the steering.

xenodius said:
I have 3-4mm of toe-in and I've taken my KMX up to 52mph... uphill... :)

Glad to hear your batteries aren't sagging, my a123 pack has been great until I get well below freezing. Then acceleration suffers. 28mph top speed at -23C... though that's from BMS cutoff, it could go faster with a smarter BMS but this is healthier for the cells. Someday I may put together a heater and do a fancy build like yours Adam :) but it probably still won't be so polished.

hehe, ty :wink:

if you go that way, do not go below 5W per heater though.

I got asked for a daylight video, so here is a short 1 min video.

Traction is not that great since I have no studs on the back tire.

Things to be done:

1-The chain rust badly within a day or two in salty water/snow. This one must be replaced by a S.S. version.
2-Upgrade the front mudguards so they can actually stop some mud.
3-Design a new electronic flag. This one is fine during night time, but not visible enough during the day. The red plastic flag himself only lasted 15 min during my first ride before the wind shred it.
broken_flag_1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
@adam333: I had zippy's and turnigy's, must say the the turnigy hold up to their specs much better then the zippy's. I had a zippy pack, and like you said, the cells aren't working that well together...

My recent pack has 9x 6s 5000mah 20C turnigy's, after 2 years of use, same capacity comes out, and cells stay within 0.01 range! I've had this pack recharged for 225 times, puling a total of 7875 Ah out of these baby's!

I finally made my new LED High power Flag for this trike.

It is now visible during the day and very bright at night.

roughly 10W @ 12 V DC

flag_hp_D_1024x768.jpg

The flashing pattern is driven by an Arduino inserted in the Flag pole. The only requirement is to have a 12 Vdc source.
flag_hp_E_1024x768.jpg

flag_hp_B_1024x768.jpg

1 min video ( the camera was saturating ):

Last edited:
adam333 said:
Yes, this one is made of Nylon and solved my previous problem.

I will also take some time to implement a canopy and possibly a front suspension.

I'd love to see your canopy when you are done. I'll be making a canopy for mine. Thinking of using stretch fabric.

It took a while but here it is: The E-KMX canopy

Basically, this tadpole trike canopy could be fitted on any recumbent bike and it allow the use of a Windwrap.

With the Windwrap:
canopy1503_1024x768.jpg

Without Windwrap:
canopy1488_1024x768.jpg

Rear view:
canopy1487_576x768.jpg

To get on the bike, you simply release the 2 front clips. The canopy's rod are made out of Fiberglass and always return to their "straight" shape. This is also what allow the fabric to stay stretched. I tested up to 60km/h and there is no flapping noise or deformation.
canopy1495_1024x768.jpg

Rear brackets that goes on the rack:
canopy1_1024x768.jpg

The waterproof fabric sewed: ( I bought a sweing machine and learned how to use it for this project )
canopy468_1024x768.jpg

Fiberglass rod assembly:
canopy471_1024x768.jpg

2 min Video:

This is not my design though, I was inspired by Ed miller to create this canopy: recumbent trike canopy – Tadpole Rider
trike-hood.jpg

Last edited:
adam333 said:
...possibly a front suspension.

Have a look at the (drop in) front suspension from ICE Trikes http://www.icetrikes.co
http://www.recumbenttrikestore.com/images/FS.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the front suspension in my ICE Sprint. You might also try 20" front wheels first.
I found very nice and sturdy 47mm wide rims here: http://www.classic-cycle.de/en/Ready-Spanned-Wheels-Rims-Parts/Rims/?force_sid=dc3dbb03a0a4c1e6ca22c581a9db8292

You got a pretty monsterous KMX there! Nice! :twisted:

adam333 said:
It took a while but here it is: The E-KMX canopy

Basically, this tadpole trike canopy could be fitted on any recumbent bike and it allow the use of a Windwrap.

With the Windwrap:
canopy1503_1024x768.jpg

Without Windwrap:
canopy1488_1024x768.jpg

Rear view:
canopy1487_576x768.jpg

To get on the bike, you simply release the 2 front clips. The canopy's rod are made out of Fiberglass and always return to their "straight" shape. This is also what allow the fabric to stay stretched. I tested up to 60km/h and there is no flapping noise or deformation.
canopy1495_1024x768.jpg

Rear brackets that goes on the rack:
canopy1_1024x768.jpg

The waterproof fabric sewed: ( I bought a sweing machine and learned how to use it for this project )
canopy468_1024x768.jpg

Fiberglass rod assembly:
canopy471_1024x768.jpg

2 min Video:
[youtube]nz4fJd-S114[/youtube]

This is not my design though, I was inspired by Ed miller to create this canopy: https://tadpolerider2.wordpress.com/tag/recumbent-trike-canopy/
trike-hood.jpg
I really like this. What was total time and materials cost?

Yea that is one sick looking trike. I love it. Being able to stay out of the wind and sun some also is pretty sweet.

Awesome build.

I would have to say this is an ideal trike. If I were to eventually make one, it would follow many of the same concepts

Thanks for the kind words guys =)

Marc S. said:
Have a look at the (drop in) front suspension from ICE Trikes http://www.icetrikes.co
http://www.recumbenttrikestore.com/images/FS.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the front suspension in my ICE Sprint. You might also try 20" front wheels first.
I found very nice and sturdy 47mm wide rims here: http://www.classic-cycle.de/en/Ready-Spanned-Wheels-Rims-Parts/Rims/?force_sid=dc3dbb03a0a4c1e6ca22c581a9db8292

You got a pretty monsterous KMX there! Nice! :twisted:

Yes, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitively go toward an "ICE suspension"
I am not sure yet about the 20" at the front, I would have to try it I guess.
I took a look at your blog, the Wh/km of your trike is very good. Mine is roughly 18Wh/km.... do you pedal to obtain those numbers?

mclark999 said:
I really like this. What was total time and materials cost?

Material cost is roughly 50$ for the canopy. But labor took me a month on and off.

adam333 said:
Yes, thanks for the suggestions. I will definitively go toward an "ICE suspension"
Go for it! I've never seen or heard from a KMX trike with ICE front suspension before.
ICE uses 1" head sets and 12mm axle bolts btw. They ship the front suspension with rather firm 'medium' hard elastomeres.
If you weight less than maybe 90-100kg you will experiance an overly stiff suspension. Get a set soft elastomeres right away as well.

adam333 said:
I am not sure yet about the 20" at the front, I would have to try it I guess.
Other KMX trike models use 20" front wheels already. As I understand they all share the same frame.
Because of the changed steering geometrie, you will get a slightly less 'nimble' but more stabile steering with bigger wheels.
Rolling resistance and comfort will improve with bigger wheels. Tyre choice in 20" is vastly bigger as well.

adam333 said:
I took a look at your blog, the Wh/km of your trike is very good. Mine is roughly 18Wh/km.... do you pedal to obtain those numbers?
18Wh/km is not a bad figure with your studded rear tyre. I was expecting way more.

I juggle a bit with my battery configuration, but I'm rather lazy in the pedaling departement...
With a 20s battery I'm some where between 23-25Wh/km, just under 70km/h top speed and having a lot of fun chasing cars through the city... :mrgreen:
Most of the time, like my daily commute, I use a 15s battery configuration at about 15-18Wh/km and 52-55km/h top speed.
The low figures from my last trip where with 10s batterys, some pedaling and restricted top speed to 30km/h to get the range.

adam333 said:
I realy like your waterproof Givi E21cruiser cases...

On the web site, they are black and white:

Yours are fully black right ? And how much are those?

That are E21 with silver lids. Interesting if you are living in a real sunny area. I think my black lids reached 70°C on the outside last week.
They where about €110 for a pair three years ago + €20 for the mounting set.

Recently Givi brought the E22 on the market. Interesting design but 3cm wider as far as I can tell.

E22.jpg

adam333 said:
This seat is not the best... I badly need to work on a suspension or a better seat...

You still use the tiny front wheels?
Just get a set of wide 20" wheels for a more comfortable ride AND decreased rolling resistance. You could even get 24" wheels.

I'll receive a second Sprint frame (unsuspended) in a few weeks and most likely set it up with 24" front and 26" rear wheels.
I allredy have a set of 24" front wheels and used them for a while. The first thing I noticed (apart from the smoother ride) was how much less rolling resistance the bigger wheels, compared to my 20" front wheels, provided. The thing just wouldn't stop rolling! I used 1.75" wide Marathon Greenguard on both wheel sets.
ms20699.jpg

Others took even more extreme measures and use 700c wheels on their trikes to decrease rolling resistance and speed things up a bit:
3x700-vortexkiller.jpg

3x700-qnt-deep-vee-rim-2.jpg

http://etrike.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/3x700-wheels-on-a-tadpole-trike

And then there is the White ICE Cycle... ;)
Build by ICE Trikes for Maria Leigerstam’s 10 day, 400 mile solo tour to the south pole. Thats what I call a winter trike! :mrgreen:
the-white-ice-cycle-3.jpg

http://etrike.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/white-ice-trike/

You may want to consider 16" moped tires for your front wheels to match your big rear wheel. 16" tires fit on wide 20" bicycle rims. I run Shinko 714 2.25-16 moped tires and love them. The key is to make sure your rim is wide enough for some of these tires.

Back