la Nina rears her ugly head

Finally no rain in the forecast for at least a week. Even with the 4+ inches of rain a couple weeks ago, the grass on the hills is still turning brown. My guess is we will have another bad year for fires.

100F+ the rest of this week, up to 107-109F by this time next week. :(

Peak was 103F in the shade out by the street corner...no breeze at all at the time, couple hours ago (fairly breezy now, about 102F same spot).

Nice thing about all the trees and lantana here is that it's keeping the temperature down a bit in the yards, a few degrees, so it's stayed around 101F max so far today in the shade, though it was still too hot with no breeze to do the work I need to be doing on the trike, for more than a few minutes at a time, before I have to go back inside. Riding would be fine...plenty of breeze that way. Sitting in one place...another story.

Gotten breezy enough now to go back out there, htough with the air moving so much it'll be a bit hotter in the yard at just over 101F, but the breeze will more than compensate for that.

Dogs are all camped out inside though--smarter than I am.(except kirin, who always sticks with me)

fechter said:
Finally no rain in the forecast for at least a week. Even with the 4+ inches of rain a couple weeks ago, the grass on the hills is still turning brown. My guess is we will have another bad year for fires.
Bummer! In my "yoot", I worked for a Helitac team in the Sawtooth Forest. Very wet springs can make for incredibly lush growth, but dried out it becomes lots of additional fuel!

Wishing you luck and a quiet fire season!

Incredibly perfect weather in Minnesota. Cool nights, '60s and warm days middle '70s.
Mississippi River still at flood stage and limited barge traffic!

Having an early season heat wave here. 86F in San Francisco. That's not really hot by most peoples' standards, but most buildings don't have air conditioning here. About 95F at my house yesterday. I went for a ride mid afternoon up in the hills. Saw a total of 4 people, which is much fewer than a typical 'nice' day. Once you get up in elevation, the wind was blowing nicely and really not bad if you are in the shade.

The air quality was unusually good for a hot day and downtown SF was clearly visible. It's about 20 miles away. You can see the grass is just about all brown now, and extra tall this year.

Img_1199.jpg

Official high in San Francisco was 97 today, breaking the record for the day. Normal high for today is 66. 102 at my house.

That is warm for Frisco. Meanwhile, we set a new record for a low high here yesterday. Weather reports did predict some rain, but 2 inches of steady all day rain is beyond unusual for the high desert near El Paso in early June. Most years, most of may and june, if we see a cloud we say " whats that funny thing in the sky". Instead of the usual 100 to 105 on june 10th, it never even got to 60 yesterday.

Weather is just downright weird this spring, even for an el nino spring. There just seems to be no end to the spring weather pattern this year. Usually by now we have seen the last of the jet stream, and the big high squats on NM and AZ for a month or more. This year, it seems to have squatted on California and Nevada.

So now it's after sunset, and still over 102F out there. Was almost 105F when I got home more than two and a half hours ago, and was about 110F on the roads around Metrocenter coming home very shortly before that.

Expected to be 110F (or more) the next couple days (of course these are my days off for the week, that I had hoped to get stuff done on the trike). Rest of the week will be closer to 100-105F. Doesnt' seem like much difference...but it is. :/

Dunno what the high was for today, but it must've been somewhere around 107-110F, hotter in the Metrocenter area due to the concrete and asphalt comprising almost the entire area; cooler at home with all the trees.

But Peanutbutter has decided that sleeping in the bathtub is his new thing.

Attachments

• 20190611_150836.jpg
    20190611_150836.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,255
El Niño Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
************************************** :|

http://monsoonsafety.org/

Back to "normal" weather here for at least the next week. Now I have to do a bunch of yard work that I put off during the heat wave.

Mid-June on the Mississippi River in SE MN and it's in the high 60's and low 70's. Last year the 90's with high humidity. A very different summer so far, we're seldom this cool and comfortable!

Detailed Forecast
Today
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 79. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Tonight
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 54. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 68. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 52. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 81. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 57.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 92.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 60.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 91.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 58.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 87.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 56.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 87.

Cool nights are a plus right now, but the weather is sure to heat up soon.

Yesterday and today we got a short break from triple digit temperatures, by a degree or two.

Now it goes back to 104F-108F and up...and the lows get hotter and hotter, so the average temperature goes up.... :/

Be at least a couple of months of this.

Weird weather MN! Still n the high 60's and low 70's. MORE RAIN! ARGH!

Last couple days we started getting the "ghost stormclouds" all around the valley, that come for a while this time every year. They *look* like big thunderstorm clouds...but they don't show up on the radar, and they just kinda sit there instead of moving in or going away.

I keep wishing they'd be an actual summer thunderstorm and move in and dump on us to cool us off, but that never happens.... :/

Back