la Nina rears her ugly head

We got some the other night, even though it was supposed to be clear, a storm built up quickly and moved in from the Tucson-ish direction. Lots of lightning and thunder, Yogi was very unhappy; some of the strikes were less than half a mile away based on the flash/bang timing and this site here:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=4;s=1;o=0;b=1.16;ts=0;tc=1;y=33.5734;x=-112.1141;z=11;d=8;dl=8;dc=0;

(could watch the rings of thunder expand from the strikes and was just over a second's delay between it actually reaching us and the screen update showing that).

BUt mostly it's been hot and humid, 40-60% often enough, 105-110F, still 100F by midnight or later. Coolest it'll get for a high in the next week is predicted to be 99F this coming sunday, when it'll be cloudy and potentially 20% rainy. Mostly 101-108F the other days.

Unusually quiet season so far.

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM EDT Fri Aug 16 2019

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Tropical cyclone formation is not expected during the next 5 days.

Forecaster Avila

It has been a strange year (keep a mini weather station) it was not as hot in July no 100F days but now I see 101F - 103F deg days but that is expected but it has been getting into the 70's F at night where 80's are expected. Don't think we will have 50 days of 100+ this year unless the heat last thru sept.

Similar here. We didn't get the super hot last week of June, or all that much heat in July (hot, but not that many over 110F), but now in August we're seeing the >110F stuff continue.... Plus humidity, which makes it much worse.

I've been off work all week, sitting outside in the shade under the trees working on the trike most of the time, using a misting system (homemade first, which worked fairly well, then tried the Orbit small unit, which kinda sucks but has more misting heads so does about the same thing) and a box fan on high to stay in a livable temperature while sitting there doing wiring, etc.

Keeps it at least 20F cooler than the ambient shade temperature, especially when there is no breeze (which is common).

But everything around it gets damp (actually wet with the Orbit system; some nozzles just spit and drip instead of misting). :( Have to keep moving tools and parts and whatnot....

Had been hoping for cooler weather (at least a few degrees), but it's been >110F much of the week so far.

MCZ staying well to the southeast of Cali as a cold front moves through, but that could change due to the northward track of tropical storm IVO. Check the box for Tropical Forecast Points to see it as it unfolds.
https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/tpac/h5-loop-ft.html

https://www.surfline.com/surf-news/tropical-storm-ivo-will-likely-deliver-fun-surf-to-southern-california/60829

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 94. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Labor Day
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 88. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
******************************************************************************************************* :bolt: :twisted:

Lightning and thunderstorm was brief, but woke us up. Rain totals disappointing however we’re grateful for any amount. Chance for more for the next several days.
SDHET HEMET VALLE VISTA 0.02 2050

Well they showed up, three counting the one in the Gulf by Mexico. Wonder why the Weather reports are wrong? They clam its 1-2 deg cooler than actual This morning it hit a low of 74 and they claimed it was 78 and now 80 when its only 78. What's up? Don't they know people measure!

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 76. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Thursday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 100. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Had about 2 drops of rain yesterday. None of them seemed to hit the rain gauge, so not even a trace there. Close but no cigar.
The rain season here officially goes from October-September, so this is still the 2018-19 season.

Tuesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Sunny, with a high near 88. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tuesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 66.
Wednesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 86.
Wednesday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 58.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 80.
Thursday Night
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 60.
Friday
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 77.

Tropical storm remnants could bring a thunderstorm or two, jAccuweather only shows a 25% chance for next Saturday. :?
Looks like we're going back to el ñeutral. :|
40EDAC1C-5FBD-42D9-BD6E-B373B11DDD13.png

Flash floods in my area again tonight, from around an hour before I left work thru my ride home till maybe an hour after I got home. Still raining out there last I looked, but not much.

Around Metrocenter, I had to ride (very slowly) on the sidewalks (which are 6-8" higher than the road) to only have 3-4" of water to ride thru, and I couldn't even see the road itself for the water, except for a couple of places. Some places I had the gravel or grass or other stuff to guide me on the right to keep me on the sidewalk, and I could go a bit faster, maybe 10MPH, but other places there was so much water I couldn't get beyond walking speed, or risk riding off the invisible-underwater edge of the sidewalk.

More over in my SB Cruiser thread:
https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&p=1499329#p1499329

Supposed to have a "mini heat wave" here today and tomorrow. PG&E (the local electric utility) may turn power off in some areas to prevent fires. Both of the massive fires we had the last two years were likely caused by power lines touching trees.

No measurable rain here since May. Slight chance this weekend, but I doubt it.

Back