Landyachtz TopSpeed 90mm 10S4P DualRearDrive

after my 3dm avila diversion, I got my 40 LG HG2 cells today. must say, I grew to be a real fan of that cell, it has near perfect stats for the 10S4P battery size in my opinion.

this time, following several remarks of the pedelec pro battery builders and randyc1's first build, I ordered cardboard stickers from the US to give some additional protection to all cell's plus poles:
topspeed_rework_9.jpg

not sure if Ill start welding tonight, spend the whole day in a cable park and can barely move my lower arms :lol: also, Im not 100% sure yet which battery layout I prefer - middle connections or not.

whats also still missing is the enclosure. I have the problem that I want 6 pretty much identically shaped boxes, each with 2 rounded edges of 20mm radius to accomodate the cells perfectly. Im not really sure how I am supposed to do that with wood and my tooling of a hand saw and a vibration grinder. :?

Hi whitepony , so your not sure if your going to wire it like last battery pack or like your new diagram on page 9 ??, is that what you mean ?

The new design has the advantage of Pos & Neg at same end ,.. but will probably require a slightly larger enclosure due to having 2 thick 10g flex wires facing each other on the insides of pack,... unless you can solder 1 on the top part of 4p and the facing 1 on the bottom part of other 4p ?, otherwise it will be just slightly wider.

Looking forward to seeing this new design, looks awesome !!

the biggest problem of the new design is, that within one chamber, the 2x 4P packs need to be isolated and may not touch. I wasnt a big fan of that and, after some contemplating I just went with the old design. since Im skipping balance leads for now with the odd maintenance session every few months, the nickel strip serial connections after butterfly folding allow a really tight pack:

topspeed_rework_10.jpg

topspeed_rework_11.jpg

I again added the soldering spots for solder wick copper support of the serial connections, but right now im hesitant to attach those yet because Im not sure yet how I want to do those connections. I could route channels and connect each chamber roadside OR I could drill a hole from chamber to the topside of the board and route a channel there.

problem of no1: Ill have to think about something to bridge the channels everytime I want to vacuum an enclosure. didnt do the board with integrated channels this time, cause I still didnt have better foam and I didnt want to have weird looking deformations. ah well, think Ill probably go with drilling and routing on top of the board, some for the esc-segment to motor connection a la longhairedboy. little afraid to go with bare copper through carbon though, so Ill have to go solder wick -> 10AWG -> through the boards carbon.

ok, today I went for it - removed the griptape and started routing with that handheld devils router, what a bitch, I never want to see it again after Im done :lol:

anyway, following longhairedboys builds, I routed the channel for the 6 phase wires and let them exit next to the trucks. I wish I had cmatson somewhere close, but my shaky drummers hands had to do the job somehow :p
topspeed_rework_12.jpg

routed the channels for the serial connections of the battery - also of that looong minus pole cable, since I went for my old layout. then I added 10AWG wires for the battery and 12AWG for the phase connections and everything started to look a lot better already :p
topspeed_rework_13.jpg

cable exits on the other side:
topspeed_rework_14.jpg

closeup of the phase wires:
topspeed_rework_15.jpg

stuff is flat enough for some vacuum bagging!
topspeed_rework_16.jpg

filled up the channels with epoxy, then added 2 layers of small GFK patches ontop of each cable channels + one complete GFK layer on the board:
topspeed_rework_17.jpg

Ill sand that one its cured and fill up the last bumps stuff with elastic filler before I add new grip tape! :)

hmz, I got my hands on a basically new vanguard flex 2 for <100€ and now Im thinking about going that instead of the topspeed for a flexy cruiser alternative to the stiffer and portable tesseract. :?

bah, I rode around for 2 hours on the 42" flex2 vanguard, just slapped the old benched kegels on and my topspeed calibers ... it IS a really fun board, made for one motor 15mm drive, 40kph max, cruising and carving, awesome carving energy returns, not very precise but felt very powerful, much more snowboardlike compared to my gbomb pump setup or the tesseract/topspeed. now Im really torn between topspeed and vanguard, but right now I feel like I want to try the vanguard instead (its a lot flexier than my topspeed even).

vanguard_1.jpg

vanguard_2.jpg

the 10S parts that I made already would fit the vanguard really well too ... :roll:

Hey, terrific build. I just have 2 tips for routing that could help you

1) Get some router guide bushings. Then you can make a template with thinner plywood. You can't go wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=963naFyTJnM

2) Make a router planing jig. That way you will have a very flat profile to your cut, especially problematic with skateboard decks that have curves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaqSR9ARLhY

Mix the 2 tips above and you could make these depressions look really good.

Leo

or you clamp a straight edge to the board and route along this for a straight line. easy

nice progress!!!
the only concern I have is to drill the board in the middle section. I guess over time it might crack.
not because of really weakening the structure, but rather because it creates "spannungsspitzen" (peaks of tension)

hey randy, not right now, currently I cannot imagine a more fun board than my vanguard, so I would just burn money for nothing! even the tesseract is kinda unused right now, although I just ran it to the supermarket quick and its really a lot of fun. it has a few perks that the vanguard doesnt have, mainly the kicktail for sidewalk & stair fun - so that will make it an everlasting valid 2ndary board! :)

A most amazing build and awesome thread...which has convinced me to hide.

I am such a solker-klutz and need to hone me soldier skills before attempt. Am the worst solderer ever. But we have saved thread. Amazing and thanks.

A most amazing build and awesome thread...which has convinced me to hide.

I am such a solker-klutz and need to hone me soldier skills before attempt. Am the worst solderer ever. But we have saved thread. Amazing and thanks.

Back