Looking for some guidedence, commuter bike & motor

reddan

10 µW
Hi everyone!

After being a lurker for the past month and trying to do as much reading as I can I must say I almost feel more lost than before.. There's just so much information to take in! :lol:
I've been trying to figure out what to buy and I can't say i'm much closer to a solution than I was a month ago, so I felt it was time to ask you experts for some recommendations regarding choice of bike & motor.

I'm looking to buy a brand new bike, it will be used as a daily commuter all year including winter(!), but it's very flat where I live and its only about 10km / 6miles from & to work with 100% asphalt. Reason for going with an electric is just for fun, looks like a cool project and I enjoy fast & crazy stuff (need to fill the void after selling my sportsbike).

I'm currently thinking of going with a rear hubdrive or middrive, ex Magicpie 5/MAC or a Bafang BBS02, so I guess the bike needs a 135mm dropout width or 68mm BB.
Here's where my problems start, do you guys have any recommendations of what hybrid/CX bike I can actually buy that fits this criteria within my budget that's suitable for conversion and dosen't need adapters/modifications to make it work? I'm sure there is like a million, but browsing the internet webshops i've found that they very rarely have this info available.

What i'm looking for:

* Budget of 1400 € /1500 USD, if it's cheaper ill probably buy a better motor/battery instead
* A hybrid or CX, my budget for just the bike is around 1400€ / 1500 USD
* Needs to be able fo fit stud tyres (bad choice for a hub motor?)
* Well known brand (so I can actually order it over here in Europe)

For motor;
* Budget of 1200 € / 1300 USD (with a smallish battery included)
* Id like it to be a little crazy in acceleration/top speed for when the roads are clear (at least ~50kph/30mph)
* Not much range needed, ~10 miles

I guess this is super basic, but after browsing online shops for the last two weeks I just feel lost of what I actually should buy in this djungle of BB-types and such. Hopefully you guys have some examples of hybrid/cx with a motor to go with it. Much appreciated!

I can't speak to Hub motors, but a 1500W Bafang BBSHD (700$ with controller and display and throttle) with a 52V 14Ah (500$) battery would give you loads of pep and would certainly do 30mph for the entire duration of your commute (closer to 40mph probably). I feel that this would certainly be enough for winter riding as well, as the battery, even with the cold hurting its performance, would be more than enough for your short commute.

This would also be very easy to install on any 68mm bottom bracket bike, which is very easy to find as most bike are 68mm.

Just my 2 cents
Mündawg

I have very limited experience myself, but it seems like you're way over-budgeting for the basic bike part. Usually more expensive bicycles cost more because they have lots of lightweight components made of aluminum or carbon fiber or the like. As I understand it these are 1) not only unecessary/rather pointless when you have a motor/battery etc. which make it easy to push more weight and also add a lot of weight themselves (so shaving a little off the frame is irrelevant), but also are 2) actually usually worse choices for ebikes because you'll likely be putting way more torque into the system than a human could ever manage, which a cheap steel frame is much better-suited for.

I ended up going new myself and bought a Trek 820 (which is frequently recommended) for the standard US MSRP of $350. And I felt like I was probably overpaying, since used are so readily available, but I wanted some sizing advice and also to not have to worry as much at first about the bicycle aspects while learnings the ropes on my first build. I admit I don't know much about bicycle-pricing/availability across the pond, of course. And maybe you want a fancy bike for other reasons, which is fine (as long as it can handle whatever strain you put on it). But this frame has been fantastic for me over the last 6 months of daily commuting 22 miles, with a rear hub drive (though I did have to file the dropouts a little to fit the 1500w Leafbikes motor in there -- worth it!)

I don't know what stud tyres are, but if they fit standard bicycle rims I don't see why it would be a problem.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

Flat land don't bother with Bafang. Get a good reliable hub, Mac or MP5 are good choices. I'd lean towards the Mac, but I did build a MP5 for a fellow and it's nice. Buy the best you can afford and leave the low end stuff to Wes. Have clearly developed instructions and easy parts access is a big help. Support a good seller if you can. A really nice Mac setup can be had with a superior battery from EM3ev. Just no need for the complications of a mid drive and the BBS02 is not a 30mph motor.

If you have a decent source for Mxus hubs they build some good motors.

If I had it to start over again I think I'd have spent a bit more and gone with a motor kit from eBikes.ca. There's something to be said about the full support resellers. A bit more money but more smiles and miles IMO.

I have no idea what brands are common in EU, and affordable.

The very most affordable set up would be a lower price steel beach cruiser, with 7 speed rear derailleur. Then go with any rear hub motor.

A better choice would be a nicer cruiser, like the Electra Townie. If they don't have those in EU,, I am certain they have similar bikes. Just a bit more comfy cruiser, with 7 speeds and a shock fork.

I also see no real reason to go with the mid drive, unless you happen to weigh 200 kilos. Even a very low power, Euro legal geared rear hub will do you. Re the studs,, it will be harder to swap wheel sets with a hub motor, so if you needed to put studs on one day, then back to regular most of the week, back and forth all winter, then that would be a reason to go mid drive.

Just about any bike you choose that has a square taper crank, will fit the bb kit. Any bike you choose with 7 rear gears will fit the rear hub motor.

Don't get sucked into the trap of building a higher power bike for your short trip. That will only mean you have to buy a more expensive battery. 800w will be more than enough, and then you can run a more affordable 36v battery in 10 ah size, and have it last a long time.

Thank you for all the advice!
I actually managed to stumple upon a locally made bike here in Sweden, a Nishiki Air Pro that checked all the boxes.
xYLo5Pr.png

2x9 roadbike gearing for higher speeds and hydralic brakes, the only downside is perhaps the aluminum frame but with some torquelevers I should be OK with nothing too crazy..

68mm BSA bracket and 135mm rear dropout so I got the option for both mid & rear motor.
Forgot to mention my weight dogman_dan, but i'm only around 150lbs/75kgs, so with mostly flat riding for short rides perhaps going with a 36v hubmotor is the best/affordable choice. I just want some of that blazing speed that puts a huge grin on your face, scared to go too low powered which almost makes it redundant.. I only want it for the fun-factor as the commute is so short/low effort.

I'll take a look at the MP5/MAC-options, hopefully I can find something within Europe to avoid the horrible VAT/Toll-charges from China/USA.

reddan said:
Hi everyone!

After being a lurker for the past month and trying to do as much reading as I can I must say I almost feel more lost than before.. There's just so much information to take in! :lol:
I've been trying to figure out what to buy and I can't say i'm much closer to a solution than I was a month ago, so I felt it was time to ask you experts for some recommendations regarding choice of bike & motor.

I'm looking to buy a brand new bike, it will be used as a daily commuter all year including winter(!), but it's very flat where I live and its only about 10km / 6miles from & to work with 100% asphalt. Reason for going with an electric is just for fun, looks like a cool project and I enjoy fast & crazy stuff (need to fill the void after selling my sportsbike).

I'm currently thinking of going with a rear hubdrive or middrive, ex Magicpie 5/MAC or a Bafang BBS02, so I guess the bike needs a 135mm dropout width or 68mm BB.
Here's where my problems start, do you guys have any recommendations of what hybrid/CX bike I can actually buy that fits this criteria within my budget that's suitable for conversion and dosen't need adapters/modifications to make it work? I'm sure there is like a million, but browsing the internet webshops i've found that they very rarely have this info available.

What i'm looking for:

* Budget of 1400 € /1500 USD, if it's cheaper ill probably buy a better motor/battery instead

For motor;
* Id like it to be a little crazy in acceleration/top speed for when the roads are clear (at least ~50kph/30mph)

I guess this is super basic, but after browsing online shops for the last two weeks I just feel lost of what I actually should buy in this djungle of BB-types and such. Hopefully you guys have some examples of hybrid/cx with a motor to go with it. Much appreciated!

Hello Reddan,

You might want to have a look at this thread I started: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83886

I asked very similar newbie questions as you and there is advice on the pros and cons of both hub motors and the BBSxx type. My needs are similar to yours, but my ultimate goal was a light weight bike under 40lbs ready to go. I ended up with a simple commuter with a carbon front fork. I decided to omit front suspension as the commute I have is on a very nice bike path with smooth pavement. Also I ride road bikes so non suspended bikes dont bother me too much. My bike is actually a British brand so you can likely find it in the EU no problem. Charge Grater 4. I also liked many of the Ghost commuter bikes as well. The Cannondale Bad boy line is also very nice. One thing to consider on the hub motor, the geometry of the rear dropout needs to allow for room of a torque arm and I found many bikes were not too friendly with room for torque arms. BBSxx however, is much easier to install and its also a bit cleaner with it all being self contained, but I was told the PAS feel of the bike is not as good as a Hub motor. The smaller Q series motors are light and when pedaled power off, they dont give much if any drag so the bike retains a good pedal feel if I want to pedal without any assistance to extend my range.

I will be choosing a Q100 or Q128 motor from BMS and likely a battery from Luna (mini cube) or a custom battery from Em3ev in a similar configuration to the mini cube. Just been too busy with other things lately to pull the trigger on ordering anything yet.

Marc

tomjasz said:
Just no need for the complications of a mid drive and the BBS02 is not a 30mph motor.

I was talking about the BBSHD and it is definitely a 30MPH motor. When powered with the right battery. I have no exp with the BBS02.

I am curious tho what you mean by the complications of a mid drive? After installation (that any ol' bike shop can do) the mid drive is not complicated. After you learn how to shift without throttling the motor of course. That's the only complication i can see. It also allows for much easier flat tire fixes or wheel swaps.

reddan said:
Hi everyone!

What i'm looking for:

For motor;

Hi,
I am not very experienced, but I recently installed a Bafang BBSHD on a very similar bike than the one you bought. It was pretty straightforward and I thought the performance was great. At my home we dubbed the thing the "pocket rocket" because that motor on a light bike really gives you some thrills. I really like the fact that the BBSHD also freewheels nicely, so you can still pedal as usual and not feel like you are working against the bike. For your short commute you could get away with a pretty minimal battery pack and keep the bike reasonably light. I personally really like that with a mid-drive, all the other components of the bike are completely standard and there are no additional complications because of flats or brakes. Also the weight distribution is better and that is more noticeable on a light bike.

Back