Lyen controller judder from new

tony67

100 W
In Dec of 2011 I bought one of these http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17683 as a replacement to my burnt out cyclone controller. However I never got a chance to fit it since I got warranty on the cyclone unit before the lyen controller arrived, therefore this has sat in a box since then.

I was fitting a new mount today and decided to fit this controller while I was at it mostly because its much smaller and neater than the cyclone. When I had it fitted I tested it unloaded and it spun up nicely although I could not input the power gradually. No matter how gentle I was with the throttle it came in with a jolt. Once the motor was spinning the power could be modulated down to a virtual crawl but if stopped, it would come back in with the same violent jolt, ie no ramp up just switch-like.

Once out on the test run I noticed a very nasty judder under load. If power is was very very gently, the power delivery was smooth however any moderate acceleration or gradient sent the motor into a violent judder. I have been reading up on this and one plausible explanation is that the controller is hitting LVC when load is applied and the battery sags. I should note this test was conducted with a known good fully charged 48v lifepo4 battery hot off the charger at 57.8v.

In the specs for the controller it is suggested the controller is setup for 72v as stock meaning LVC would be somewhere around the 60v mark. When I was buying it I specifically asked for it to be set up for 48v and was assured it would be. All my wiring is as per lyens instructions so I'm confident this is not the issue although I have tried all combinations of phase wires to be sure.

Im leaning heavily towards the idea that, either he forgot to set it up as 48v or for some reason it did not flash properly. After nearly 2 years its obviously too late to take this up with lyen. Im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I have now refitted my cyclone controller and it runs perfectly so its not slipping chains or anything like that. I'm gonna try series in a 11.1v rc battery with my headway pack to bring the voltage to around 72v not sure how yet but I'll figure it out. This should rule the LVC hypothesis in or out.

Anyone who has hit LVC on a lyen controller, do you recognise these symptoms?

Thanks for reading
Tony

Good write up with lots of info Tony. It doesn't sound like LVC to me.

I'd be checking the connection on the phase wires (and everything else - throttle, battery etc) ala zombiess suggestion, or looking for incorrect/false positive in the phase/hall combinations.
Are you sure you have the right phase order? You can't just match colours. False positives tend to have a higher no load amp draw so you need a watt meter (or an ebike tester).

Back