Maytag's GT gets a BMC

Mark_A_W said:
maytag said:
I think a 7-speed cassette may have fit, not really planning on using many gears anyway.

How does the shifter handle this? Can you adjust it so it just "stays put" for the last 2-4 clicks?

Or did you get a new shifter to match?

This issue is what makes me hesitant to try a rear motor.

Mark

I've been too lazy to do anything about the 5-speed cassette and shifter. I basically only use 2 sometimes 3 of the gears (tallest ones). Only when I experienced a controller failure was when I needed to use the rest of the gears. One time when I was climbing up a steep hill in the granny gear and needed a more grannyer gear I tried changing onto the 6th gear (I only have a 5 gears :oops: ) and the chain fell off between the cassette and the hub motor. Dismounted and popped the chain back on, no harm done. I"m sure I can adjust the derailer or something so that wont happen again. The Puma has so much torque that I dont have much use for the lower gears. I'd like to change out the crank sprocket to a larger (more teeth) so I have the option to peddle assist when cruising above 26mph, currently I look like a jackrabbit on a treadmill when trying to peddle at those speeds.

I know that feeling. On my Chaos it's motor only above 20 km/h

I installed single speed in the rear on my motor, and have 2 front chainrings without a front derailer.

I locked the max/min settings on the rear derailer and also wedged the shifter cable into my battery box mounts to keep it inline with the largest front chainring.

If i run out of juice or need to pedal home up any large hills.. i can simply kick the chain into the smaller front ring and maintain 10 km/h on leg power alone.

yeh mines the same Y - still pedals are just for emergency anyway ;)

cheers,

D

Hi Maytag;

I've forgotten, are you using 26" wheels on your bike?

gwsaltspring said:
Hi Maytag;

I've forgotten, are you using 26" wheels on your bike?

gw,

sorry for taking so long to answer your question (been on vacation) . Yes I am running the Puma on a wide 26" Doublewall rim with 12ga spokes.

No problem I've been out of the loop myself for a couple of months it seems.

Greg

maytag said:
Well I quickly found out that this motor is not a straight plug-in match with the Crystalyte controllers. Thanks to the help provided by Knoxie and Mark at Team Hybrid I was able to get it running correctly.
Interesting. What exactly had to be changed for them to mate OK?

The hall sensors connector was actually a straight color-color match with the Xlyte controller's wires. The hi-current phase wires were all different, here's a pic of the wiring layout.

Seems to me this is not an consistent between the color code of Puma and the Xlyte.

Back