Maytag's GT gets a BMC

knoxie said:
I have now fitted my Trek with one of the new Pumas and am running it on my old faithful xlyte controller, it has great low down torque but it is geared slightly differently and tops out at about 22mph on the flat which is a little disappointing however it has more torque which may be good for some folks, ill run it for a few weeks to see how I like it.

eek! :shock:

what voltage is that at Paul? 36v, 48v, 72v?

I'm thinking I'll take back my prev comment - now i'm equal to the 5304 and the puma again :p

BiGH said:
knoxie said:
I have now fitted my Trek with one of the new Pumas and am running it on my old faithful xlyte controller, it has great low down torque but it is geared slightly differently and tops out at about 22mph on the flat which is a little disappointing however it has more torque which may be good for some folks, ill run it for a few weeks to see how I like it.

eek! :shock:

what voltage is that at Paul? 36v, 48v, 72v?

I'm thinking I'll take back my prev comment - now i'm equal to the 5304 and the puma again :p

22mph top speed, then I'm pretty sure its geared exactly like my version because from my 32mph@54v speed test that would calculate roughly 22mph max at 37v (pretty sure Knoxie is running 37v for now).

Hi Folks

Right bit better now took the bike out again and it did 25mph on the flat, so we are cool, the low down torque is very good, the best I have felt so far, it also develops a lot of power below 10mph, you can see this from the watts up, I will do a run with it and the other 1 and record them on the data logger and compare the 2 graphs, I am running it on 48V NIMH that sag a little with old age and hard use these days!! ha ha.

Ill post some pictures in a new thread and stop the Hijack right now

Knoxie

knoxie said:
Yo
I wont say I told you so :lol: its not funny though what a shame!! grrr you should have got more miles under your belt though to make sure it was all good first, what a pain.

Hey Knox go ahead I can take my medicine, its just my way of doing things. I dont beat around the bush when testing, if there's a weakness I need to find it ASAP rather than discover it outside of a controlled environment. I've been pushing this GT setup to all its capable of since replacing the FETs h/w and really believed burn-in time was over. Full throttling up the kind of hills we have around here is all the burn-in I need for confidence. I forgot to mention this to you, I'm immune to the fear of frying anything. It's a weird trait I picked up from the line of work I do (notice the screen name) My modo: "If its made of electronics, there's a very good chance I can fix it. The not so good chance stuff can just be replaced" 8)

BTW, I'm not really a Maytag man although I do just sit around the house waiting for stuff to break then I get paged to come out and fix it.

Like how you fixed my battery. I've been using it now. Runs great! I just put it on the cyclone (6 batteries in parallel helps with the balancing i think). I put a few miles on the whole pack and they all came out to 27.9v with only the repaired one coming to 27.8v. It's probably because it didn't get topped off during charging.

Hey knoxie, i'd like to know how you think the puma would perform with a gohub controller (54v @ 20 amps)? You think it would still get to 30 mph with the lower current but with less acceleration? The nice thing about these 400 series crystalyte controllers is that they're very small and less expensive. I'm trying to tempt maytag to try it while he waits for his new FETs.

Hi

Yes I think it would run fine at 20A for sure! its worth a go, I have thought this myself as there are less fets in them and they are cheaper to buy so may offer these in the kits instead, also they could be bumped up with bigger fets higher voltage fets at half the cost and half the time, so its something I would consider doing anyway.

I have just had a 3 hour chat with Steve Head mr Dirt Monkey that was entertaining! he runs one of those controllers at 72V with no problems, he had Kenny fit the fets for him, Steve sent them to China and they put them in! they are quite flexible in that way, you tell them what you want and they will build it. SO yes can I have a controller that doesn't blow up at 80V please!! ha ha.

And Dave yes I am sure you can fix it and you sound like you know what you are at, there is enough info on here with regard to any changes you want to make to it and you can always ask me and Richard.

The next test I do at 72V will be with NIMH though as I dont want to blow the BMS in the Lipo again, If it works fine then on NIMH I will swap to lipo.

Good luck with your rebuild, your digi key shipping charges were prob a lot less than mine! good company though that crowd very professional.

Good Luck and if you can snap shots of it as you go!!

Cheers

Knoxie

I finally watched the video of the dragrace Joystix and I did between the Puma and X5. The footage wasnt really good, I thought the camera aboard the GT would get Joystix in view as we started but it turned out looking like I'm racing alone. We had a second camera running down by the finish line. I worked with what little video I had but tried my best to make it entertaining. We started with a 6mph rolling start side by side then WOT on his command. The video is very short but I'm sure this was only Rnd-1. -enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdY-WJiCyno

Great Vid Maytag :) nice and high quality. you get a real sense of speed in it :)

I'll be very interested to see speed results from knoxie's setup at 72v.
in general i'm looking for 33-40mph. I've ridden an ebike that had 18mph (30kph) top speed - and hated it (damm aussi laws)

25mph i'd be upset,
32mph I'd be happy with,
37mph (60kph) i'd be extatic.
40mph+ you wouldn't be able to wipe the grin off my face :p

I have to say this is one of the few threads i live for :)

would be good to run a volt for volt comparison though between the two - ie both at 48v or both at 54v :)

BiGH said:
would be good to run a volt for volt comparison though between the two - ie both at 48v or both at 54v :)

Way ahead of you, I've been thinking of round 2 already. I know Xyster has somewhat of a quiet debate going about my GT running 54v of Emolis while my brother's X5 is only running 48v of Nickel, we're both running 26" wheels and same controllers. If we can entice Jondoh to let us borrow his 54v/9Ah Emoli pack it would be dead even regarding the batteries. To tip the scales more toward the X5 rig Jondoh can be the X5 rider, Ric outweighs me by 40lbs but I outweigh John by 15lbs. The extra 15lbs that I'm carrying over John pretty much makes up the weight difference between the Puma and X5 motors. Man this scenario sounds so evenly matched it just has to happen. Ric can be right there at the starting line being our 3rd camera angle. John, we'll even let you collect the preorders for the PayPerView - LOL :lol:

The torque of the Puma is so impressive its hard to put into words but let me try. After that race Ric and I switched bikes and did it again, thats now 40lbs less on the X5 rig and 40lbs added to the Puma. The Puma with Ric on it still won the race by half the length of what you saw on the video. It would be a different story if it was a 1/4 or 1/2 mile race, Ric's ride reaches 34mph with his 48v pack, 39mph with 54v Emolis and my GT tops out at ~32mph.

Hi

Nice cool little video!! I want more than that though :lol: great stuff, I am not surprised the Puma beats the X5 on acceleration, it damn well should do as well, the X5 should gain ground on it on top speed though, its the weight thing for me though, the Puma is even lighter than my USPD so lifting it and stuff is so easy, the X5 I have is so damn heavy its near impossible once the bike is all kitted up with batteries, sure its a cool motor but for me its more of an electric motorbike than an electric bike, ok for some but not what I really wanted.

The Puma fits in nicely and although the current one I am testing the hybrid Puma may not be the one I keep on the bike I certainly will be moving up to a geared Hub motor and away from the USPD.

As far as volts go this Puma should not really be run with more than 72V 25A in my opinion as its a lot of power for a little motor like that to handle, that said they do seem to handle it, its the controllers that seem to be the weak link, I havent got a motor hot or damaged any of the motors yet just the controllers.

Knoxie

hey maytag,

you are one crazy dude!! - you just got running all sweet then had to go for it like a madman lol, that said you seem to know your stuff so i'm sure you can fix it again and hopefully all will be cool again.
i hope your back riding soon as the brief vid really looked impressive,nice speed - mine just gets exciting then tops out - i can't wait to get my full power bike as im having so much fun at half power i'm sure it's going to be a complete blast!!!
I'll post up anything worthwhile but really i'm looking to you and paul to see how the upgraded controllers are doing so might not have much to show until i get my batts mounted good and have a modded controller too.
Take some footage if you can, like buzzz i love watching anything remotely ebike related and i'd love to see a long ride on the GT soon - hell i'll even watch the range test!!!

Cheers Mate,

D

Mathurin said:
You can on youtube, just get a director account, or producer I forget how they call it, it's free, but standard accounts are limited to 10m

I'm in the middle of processing our range test video but I've gone through and checked up on YouTube about uploading lengthy videos. I've upgraded my account to "Director" but I cant find anything saying a Director acct can upload videos longer than 10 min or >100mb. Guess I'll soon find out when the processing is done, lets see if YouTube complains when I try uploading the 30+ minute video.

maytag said:
I've upgraded my account to "Director" but I cant find anything saying a Director acct can upload videos longer than 10 min or >100mb. Guess I'll soon find out when the processing is done, lets see if YouTube complains when I try uploading the 30+ minute video.

Well its confirmed, YouTube no longer allows even "Director" accounts to upload >10min or >100mb videos. I've read a few complaints that recently this has been the case unless you were lucky enough to have made the account before the change. I think it has something to do with all the copyrighted material being uploaded, for example if my son missed the latest Naruto episode on TV he would just jump on YouTube and watch it there. Luckily GoogleVideo hasnt limited uploads (yet), the boring RangeTest video is uploading as I'm typing. The video gets a bit jittery at times due to the jimmy-rigged camcorder mount but i did add some music that many probably havent heard in years so the behind the desk workers here dont fall a sleep on the job. Download speeds on cable is kicka$$ but uploading is terrible, ~38min (249mb) video so its gonna take a while then I think Google holds off from hosting it for a day or 2. So for now and for laughs here's some pics of my rigged camcorder mount.

Attachments

• CamMount_sml.jpg
    CamMount_sml.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 3,522
When the first song came on - i was thinking awesome song to start a vid...

Then the gunners came on :D - i have both those songs in my high speed riding playlist for when i go for a belting on the roady :)

good video - u guys sure covered some ground there! :)

how far was the range? (i can't seem to see it in the thread - but i might be blind :p

Hi BiGH,

Total for Gohub and Puma was 21.5 miles.
The video only covered to the halfway break point, round trip there and back to Ric's house was ~18.5mi. When we returned, we all still had some juice in the tank so John and I continued doing loops around nearby to get a true reading while Ric parked the X5er to check up on his squeeking spokes. John rode the GoHub until his pack cut out so I followed him into Ric's garage even tho the GT still felt like it had a little left. John is running the same Milwaukee battery setup as I am, 54v/9Ah but his packs are still intact using the BMS. What was really cool is that when his BMS cutoff the packs at the LVC my pack measurement read 50.4v, 3.60v per cell is the recommended LVC for emolis and guess what 50.4v divided by 14 cells equals. I have my packs bypassing the BMS when in use, theyre only used for charging and balancing the cells but I'm planning a way for when the BMS senses LVC it will light a warning LED on the Drain Brain (when I get one of course).

maytag said:
What was really cool is that when his BMS cutoff the packs at the LVC my pack measurement read 50.4v, 3.60v per cell is the recommended LVC for emolis and guess what 50.4v divided by 14 cells equals.

Cool. Exactly matches the BMS cutout on my Ridgid packs: 21.6V for six cells.

:D

Hey Maytag,

how's the fet upgrade coming along?
Don't go mad this time,lol we want to see some video of the puma at 54v going full tilt before you up the voltage in a mad quest fo 40mph !! :)
Hope it's going well, get some mod shots as you go if you can mate.

Cheers

D

deecanio said:
Hey Maytag,
how's the fet upgrade coming along?
Don't go mad this time,lol we want to see some video of the puma at 54v going full tilt before you up the voltage in a mad quest fo 40mph !! :)
Hope it's going well, get some mod shots as you go if you can mate.

Got home around 10:15pm last night. I then opened up the case to study the task at hand trying to decide if I wanted to pursue the FETs replacement because once I start I know I wont quit til its done. Finally decided to go for it around 11:00pm and got done at 5:00am this morning, 6hrs from start to finish. I checked out the driver resistors and transistors and at first they seemed bad but once I removed the shorted FETs they checked out fine. I didnt take any snapshots of the work because I thought Fechter's Crystalyte Controller thread has plenty of detailed pics already. Thanks Fechter for the reverse engineering job, the Output Stage schematic came in very handy. Well I'm running on 2.5hrs of sleep so I need to down a couple of cups of Java to start functioning, the daytime job has me busy today and tomorrow so real testing wont be until the weekend. I'll see if I can hookup the hopefully repaired controller for a quick test and post up the "Yay" or "Nay" before leaving for work this morning.

**** UPDATE **** 05/03/07 13:05

Just want to get a quick shout out . . . . It's a YAY !!!
Controller is back up and running with the IRFB4310's. Only took the GT for a few passes up and down my neighborhood streets (lots of hills) and its working fine. I'll see if Joystix would like to go on an evening ride for some coffee tonight. I promise to play nice this time around to get more performance figures and videos for y'all :lol:

MORE VIDEO GUYS

After replacing the stock FETs with IRFB4310s I havent had much time to get out and ride the GT, actually it rained the last 2 days so I havent missed much. This morning I set out to burn-in the revitalized Crystalyte controller. Here's a video on how to burn-in a controller in 3 miles. I will later upload a higher quality copy of it onto GoogleVideo since it looks like YouTube's reencoding sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiq1q2M6FWM

and here's the GoogleVideo link, quality is always better to Download the Google Player and Video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3724591204990101488&hl=en

<borat> Very niiice </borat>

that motors got some insane hill climbing ability! :D you really get a feel for it in ur video, now if only they had a higher top speed :p

Hi Dave

Great video super cool tunes as well! and what a beautiful place as well! glad that the controller is now ok as well, mine is still holding up great as well, got some new tyres coming and bits and bobs, then will go and test 72V again.

I took the 48V Puma up a 20% grade yesterday and it climbed it at 12mph! I was staying with cars!.

Bigh

I think Maytags bike was going pretty quick, notice in the video how quickly he passed the Lycra rider, I have run the Puma at 72V in a 26 inch wheel and it tops out at 37mph how fast do you want to go?? it pulls very hard up to 30mph, like a moped.

Some of the xlyte motors will take you faster by a bit but none of them would be able to climb and run that kind of top speed like the Puma does, thats not to say that they are no good, they are but the Puma for its size and weight is about the best performing motor I have tried period, its so good I dont run my USPD any more only on the KMX.

The new Puma is even more powerful and will come with different gearings, also the wheel totally freewheels just like a normal bike, there is no cogging at all something proper PA users may prefer if like me they like to go on long rides with minimal motor assist.

Dave just needs to get some miles under his belt now to make sure its all going to work out, 72V is a different world power wise.

Cheers

Knoxie

Excellent!

Another "Fechterized" controller :twisted:

Nice video. Who were the idioits that planted telephone poles in the middle of the bike path?

Back