Mid-Drive Selections for Quality!!!

Are there any other options for mid drives (that I have not listed) that dont use rc motors?

I can add in cheap shit to the list, it will just be near the bottom.

Alex07 said:
Apologies for derailing your thread.

If silence is what you want, I would be going down the Bafang route. Cheap, simple, silent.

I think you missed the whole point if this thread, the title is quality and not cheap hence why Bafang is nearly last on the list... bafang has threads upon threads of problems due to cheap Chinese metal gear failures, cracking bearings and lack of grease controlelr failures etc.. the last thing i would call it is high quality but yes its cheap and quiet.

A more important point is expense doesn't mean quality. I've been using Bafang BBS01-02B for two years now "in stock form with recommended voltage" and not a single problem at all. I'd say that is great quality! And not just quality, but quality at a good price. :wink:

Like others have mentioned, long ago quality issues have been addressed and most serious problems that come up are due to "hotrodding." If you start over volting, over amping and messing with a manufacturers desgined specifications, then problems will occur.

One thing is for sure, the added benefit of BBS02 silence IS GOLDEN! :mrgreen:

Not having problems with Bafang due to low demand usage doesn't mean others won't. Most telling of all to confirm why Bafang is last on the list is the fact that right now there is a global shortage of Bafang bbs nylon gears!!!! (check for yourself online...) So if that doesn't scream bad quality nothing will! These motors are consumable it seems....for me reliability and less downtime (as well as ongoing costs) is more important than initial buy price.

Sorry, but this list is bullshit, it is very subjektive which drive is best for you.

My oppinion:

The BBSHD is not the most Powerfull, but the best product, it ist plug and play, very reliable, stealth and silent!

Cyclone is bad quality less reliable and very loud. EGO and AFT are modded cyclones, so they might be more reliable but they are loud too.

The LR Kit is the most reliable in therms of maximum Power, but not plug and Play and not very stealth.

The BBS02 is a very good produkt too, if you are not up to max power. It is good for 200-400W continious with 1000W Peaks when you like to pedal.

If you are up for maximum Power, don't care about stealth and don't want to pedal much, get a LR-Kit.

For me the BBSHD is the winner.

I have the bbshd 12yo son has bbs750 also have aft 1680
Bafang is a good thing

The LR Kit is the most reliable in therms of maximum Power, but not plug and Play and not very stealth.

where did you find its reliable ? all i hear is people with problem with alignment, broken bearings and jack shaft problems and moving sheets, with all of these external Jackshaft designs like the LR and GNG.

The internal gearbox design kits like the Cyclone seem a lot more reliable cheeky bloke has done 10,000 miles on his AFT modded cyclone, make sense its hard enough to handle all those forces in a controlled environment in a gearbox with grease or oil, let alone an exposed gear reduction with belts and chains that dirt can get into.. and then alignment and bending etc etc its a bad idea.

I think this post here sums it up well, this Dude spent more time repairing the LR than riding than gave up and went back to a hub motor..

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71633&start=275

Fine if you want modest power around bafang levels, but over that I have done my fair share in repairs, which I guess took more time working on than actually riding so the big block in my opinion is a terrible solution for those who enjoy riding instead of fixing and typing about it.

BBSHD
Pro's
------
Bolt on and Done
Simple Easy Install
Clean Looks (min. wires, zip ties, boxes)
Looks like a bicycle
Quieter
Efficient
No freewheel means high reliability
52Vx40A = 2080W is about a safe max
Analogy - High Revving Inline 4

Cons:
-----
Not geared low enough for cadence pedaling. 20:1

Cyclone 3000W
Pros
More low end torque
Can take much more power then 2kw
Cons
Go through lots of chains
Mounting Brackets

Analogy - Big V Twin motor

markz said:
Are there any other options for mid drives (that I have not listed) that dont use rc motors?

I can add in cheap shit to the list, it will just be near the bottom.

What about Bosch? or Yamaha?

I would never buy a Bosch unit, but I'm sure some people like them.

Back