moonshine's Giant DH Comp

GCinDC said:
or do you have new issues? :mrgreen:

anyone remember how to revive lipos that leaked to 1V per cell? :shock:
Charge VERY slowly and have a 20 pound bag of sand on the ready :mrgreen: :wink:

Well.....Lyen is repairing both my 18 fet controllers (4110 and 4115) I'll most likely sell the 4115. I have a 5404 lying around...not sure if I'll get rid of it or not...

I use the 12fet sensorless with no problems but I'm only running 50a/100a. So it's not that much fun. My 8 6s 5ah lipos just came in so I'll be ready to go once I get my harness back from Lyen. I'll be building a precharge switch and wiring the key ignition that I ordered. I haven't ridden the bike in at least a month. I'm a little discouraged after all the controller issues I've been having. If the 18 gets fail, I'm buying a Kelly kbl 150a or 200a.

Hopefully I'll stop having issues with the 18 4110 and finally have a stable system. I wanna to be able to run 5kw continuous without worrying. The 18fet should be able to handle that. I replaced the front tire with another kenda nevegal 2.7". Looks badass.

I'm also in the process of making a nice battery enclosure. But I haven't had the time to actually make one. Abs? Steel sheets? I don't have my welder with me so i can't make anything nice. I'm just ginna rivet something together.

Make it in carbon fibre, its lightweight, easy to work with, and dust it with a clear coat to get the looks. :)

CF gets nasty when you cut it...and in order to get a nice battery enclosure, you need to be able to get access to the batteries...so i'm gonna have to make a flap/door. I would love to use CF, but i don't have the right supplies/work area.

I ordered some 1000 denier cordura. I'll be making a nice cut out cordura enclosure. I'll post pics when done.

Update:

Lyen is sending my 18 fet controllers back both the 4110 and 4115. I'll be making a new precharge SWITCH, just in case, and i'll be using one of those 40a crystalyte key switches...hopefully this will be ok?

Got lyen's controller back!!! they're back in action! the 18fet 4110 hooked right up and worked like a charm. I'll post my settings later, but bottom line i broke 50mph!!! i hit 51.9 w/ the cromotor, 24s4p, and 100a phase, 50a main (to be conservative). Pics of CA below.

ca_test1_.png

I'll post pics of the bike and how i mounted the shit outta that controller. As a bonus, my gf cut some cordura for me and wrapped the bike with velcro! I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!

As for the settings for the controller, am i being too conservative? is 50a/100a the end of the "safe range" for the 18 4110? I had the phase wires upgraded to 10awg and i some copper wire

Bethesda, Chevy chase, DC. Now that i have a stable system, I can finally ask GC if he wants to go for a ride now. I may have set three speed cameras off in a row...that was on accident cause it was dark out. :roll:

Is there a thread for stable 18fet 4110 keywin parameters? I mean was only maxing out at around 3.5kw...I never saw 4. Which is odd, cause I thought I needed 8kw cont to see that kind of speed. To be honest, I was on a slight downhill. Mostly 45 on flats i think.

i'm just kidding. hopefully you can plug in your controllers w/o blowing them now!

did you get the programming file used? i'd recommend asking for it. then you can start tweaking it up w/o worrying as much. i'd like to see you pulling 8kw! on the beltway, that is... :lol:

i need to get my bike back up, but you'll run circles around me w/ that cromo. :twisted:

how bout a pic of the cordura btw, jeez... :p

oh yea! the cordura pics...well..i'm not gonna post them until i get it completely finished....velcro doesn't stick very well to cordura...neither does not glue (better..but the velcro is still stronger). looks like i'll have the gf use her sewing machine. The 1000 denier cordura is surprisingly thin. I think i'm gonna triple layer it, possibly with a some sheet metal between layers for some rigidity (which i had already cut from my previous attempt at a battery enclosure). here's before we started...

ab_cordura.jpeg

Here's the triangle with 24s4p and my pretty long harness. 4 6s 5ah turnigy packs connected by 4mm bullets into a huge 75amp anderson. So i have 4 pairs of 75a andersons...they're huge! The connection between the end of my controller and the harness is also a huge 75amp anderson. Whatevs...it works...and i don't have to worry about shit melting.

triangle_1.jpeg

I tried a few settings....i'm a little unsure about block time and what to set my lvc to.... my pack is 99.9-100.0 V HOC. I charge each cell to 4.15v.
Whats the lowest people go with lipo that also maintains longevity? 3.5? 3.65? So then lvc is 84? 87.6? Plus the 10% for the weird keywin parameters....right?
Volt tolerance? i'm not quite sure how much it sags....1.0?
Block time? 0.1 is supposed to be really nice and slow for the throttle? 1.0 is a little more responsive?
So...my CA says Amax is 40...even though i set it to 50a main...i thought it was the other way around?
Should i even play with regen?

My first attempt, which seemed very stable.
18fet_settings_1.png

My second attempt, which made me wheelie pretty easily in the third speed...maybe its in my head?
18fet_settings_2.png

Any help appreciated with the questions about settings!!!

BT DUBS. lyen's 18fet 4110 works frickin awesome!!!! it barely gets warm and i was doing 45+ continuous for about a mile. INSANE. I need a legit helmet....i've been doin stupid shit without a helmet....i've been just so excited. But none of that shit anymore...I just don't wanna look like a dufus with my dirtbike helment when im on a bike ya know?

I set my CA LVC to 3.6v/cell. I program my controller to 3.3. That way, if you get cutoff somewhere 5 miles from home, you can quickly reprogram the CA LVC lower to get you home.

The volt tolerance is the amount of voltage your battery will need to rise in order for the controller to start working again (after the LVC kicks in). So if your LVC is set at 88v, land you hit that, then your controller won't work until 89V. Personally, I set mine at 0.1V.

I set my block time to 0.1 also. This is the safest setting for the controller. If you set it for 1.0 sec, then you could get a current spike of 100A or more, even if you are programmed for 50A. Basically, a setting of 1.0 allows your controller to spike for 1.0 sec, then settle in on your programmed value.

I set my regen to max (2?). If it slows down too quickly, or sends too many watts back to your battery, then lower it.

alright...i changed my block time to 0.1 and the voltage tolerance to 0.1....but i can't quite change the lvc 79.2. It won't go up that high and i can't enter it. Any ideas?

what are people running on their 18fets typically? 50a/125a?

Itchy, what did you mean about setting the regen?

The "EBS level" is the regen. Electronic Braking System. 2 is the highest I believe.

I've been running 50a/100a (programmed). This is after I destroyed my knee at 65a/130a. I set my CA to limit to 45a (I'm a bit gunshy lately).

having issues with aligning my rear brake adapter and calipers to the disc with kiwi's dropouts...

i think im just gonna use some dp420 and epoxy the caliper into position on the mount. the disk spacers won't do since the disc is pretty far out and really close to the swingarm. ideas?

moonshine said:
having issues with aligning my rear brake adapter and calipers to the disc with kiwi's dropouts...

i think im just gonna use some dp420 and epoxy the caliper into position on the mount. the disk spacers won't do since the disc is pretty far out and really close to the swingarm. ideas?

Yeah, dont glue the caliper :D . Just think about what might happen when you need to take the thing off, you would be SOL. There has got to be a better solution. Sleeping is a great way to get ideas for problems. My idea would to be to sleep over it or contact zombiess for hints and tips.

moonshine said:

Oh god.. I had todo some SERIOUS modifications to my caliper mount to get that to work properly.

Can you provide some pics? I'll try and get pics of my solution... but I don't know if it's the best answer!

I'll dp420 the caliper to the mount...which of course will be removable. Its an old hayes caliper. It works, but it's no rockstar. I'll post pics soon. The only other option is to mill out a custom mount out of aluminum. Don't have the time for that and more importantly, I don't have a cnc.

Has anyone drilled holes into their cromotor yet? I want to....but i just don't want to get it all dusty when i ride the dirt trails.

Questions for all:

I now have a fully working 18fet 4115 controller and a 12 fet sensorless. Should i get rid of the 4115? I'm running 24s4p (which is a bit much), but i don't see the potential for me to drop down to 3p and bump up to 30s. I also sure as hell can't use my 4115 and see the performance i'm getting with the 4110.

I also have a gigantic 5404 that has some scratches and minor damage to hall wires outside the cover with 1 mile of usage on it. Its laced into the shitty crystalyte rim it came with. Should i keep it or get rid of it? i suppose its a pretty good backup...right?

moonshine said:
I also have a gigantic 5404... suppose its a pretty good backup...right?
i thought you were never able to install it. if you can't install it, it's a terrible backup!

you gotta up those amps. but you also got a keep an eye on the cromotor temp. didn't someone else cook theirs in a 29er?

you've got it in a monster wheel.

what a perfect segue to pic of your Orca next to my junk heap:
20120824_215848.jpg

those crowns and the wheels help make it ~5" longer than mine..

20120824_215926.jpg

nice job cleaning it up, btw. that comfort seat is so...

it's so...

i'm afraid to say it.

it's so...

well, i'm sure it's so comfortable!

jk, while i detest the looks, i might have to get one too! :mrgreen:

moonshine said:

I ended up buying an 05 comp just to get the 150mm rear swingarm to avoid the clearance issues with the 135mm one.
To get the disc away from the swingarm and clearance for the caliper, I got my neighbour to make me up a 4mm spacer for the disc side. It is tight but it all lines up perfectly now.
I have the same setup with Kiwi's dropouts so it should work for you too......

The spacer looks similar to this:

SpaceCWasher.jpg

well as.....queerish the beach cruiser seat looks... GC...i bet your ass takes more of a beating with that STIFF SKINNY downhill seat. :lol: But yea....that seat takes away from the badassness of the bike. Like i said, i was gonna get the brooks saddle...but 100+ for a seat? No way man.

As for the 5404, it totally fits in the 150 with ease. It's just a frickin beast. And i would have to get it laced into a nice rim if i want it for backup. And there's no way in hell i'd get the kenda tires OFF that rim. It was one of the worse experiences. The bead on it is FRICKIN STIFF. anyway....how much do you think i could get out of a 5404? is there a market for this monstrous motor? i guess if i get rid of the 5404 and 4115, that'll free up some space...and more importantly $$$ in my pocket. :D i'll probably just transfer that to method's 24fet monster.

I forgot about the disc brake spacer...it still wasn't enough. I had to pretty much cut up the caliper mounting holes. I still don't have a pic...just lazy... but we'll see if it works. I need to bleed out the brakes first.

Finished the cordura wrap. The frickin velcro is stronger than the adhesive. Plus the adhesive doesn't stay on the cordura to well. Any ideas? i doubled layered the cordura enclosure and i have a 26gauge sheet of metal (cut out to the shape of the triangle under the cordura to keep some form. looks wicked stealthy now.

cordura wrap_.jpg

I might bump up the amperage to 60a/150a or 70a/175a. dunno yet...

metal enclosure_.jpg

It's attached to the battery mounted rack inside the triangle with velcro. it just sticks so that the cordura doesn't take the form of all the bumps of the wires from the battery pack.

controller_.jpg

Try sewing the Velcro to the Cordura :?: that will be a rather permanent and very trustworthy solution.

+1 sewing. tho i know from experience that sewing thru sticky back velcro is a royal pain. i think it broke my wife's sewing machine...

i'm in the same boat. hope i didn't steer you wrong!

and yeah, i'm sure someone wants the 5404. post it up in the for sale, nib if you haven't used it!

Back