moonshine's Giant DH Comp

Dude. I was gonna sew it but that sounds like soooo much work. My wrap has two layers of cordura, but in order to keep those two together i used spots of velcro, but they're starting to come off since the velcro hooks are stronger than the adhesive to the cordura. ANSWER? check this out....i ordered some. It won't bee industrial strength velcro, but it should do just fine.

http://www.velcro.com/Products/For-Fabrics/Iron/Fabric-Fusion.aspx

I bled the rear caliper and now all i need to do is burn those pads and break em in. My bike is finally COMPLETE!!!! and STABLE!!! until i break something of course. But today i rode to georgetown and back with no problems. Just frickin awesome.

alright...so after blowing the 18 4110 again. I took the dive and got a kelly. In the 184110's defense...it ran great for a while on conservative settings and occasionally got warm after 3kw for a mile. I think i blew a phase after the ignition wire cut out for a sec, turning off the bike, and then reconnecting again when the bike was still rolling at around 3-5mph. Must've blown em then. Whatevs. Not in the mood to send it back for repairs nor am i in the mood to attempt to fix it. Methods 24fet isn't ready yet, so i went ahead and got a kelly kbl96251. Fany was able to customize the j2 connector to have all the nice plug ins i'm used to from the infineon controllers, even a CA 6pin connector. Cool. So when the kelly gets here, i'm gonna mount it and go. NOW, this should be frickin stable. No way should this controller even get warm with the settings im gonna put on it.

http://kellycontroller.com/kbl9625124-96v250abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-1123.html

Also ordered some of methods' balance boards to clean up my battery connectors a little. Too many wires....I'm thinking of permanently wiring 4 packs together...a little nervous on how to do so....

Oh and i also picked up a gopro2 !!! excited to start using it!

i have never ever heard of more problems with controllers. one mean look and they break.

moonshine said:
I think i blew a phase after the ignition wire cut out for a sec, turning off the bike, and then reconnecting again when the bike was still rolling at around 3-5mph.
3-5mph? :twisted: go easy on that thing!

just kidding. What the F*CK!

what do you mean the ignition wire cut? is it on a switch, or do you twist frayed wires? :| and then those wires separated...

there's gotta be something else going on. i'd give you one of my 12fets to try... but... meh... nevermind. :mrgreen:

i've always heard the kelly's have monster regen. i'd be careful not to 2c regen w/ those cells, fwiw

did you pop open the 18fet? anything cooked?

running the good 18 fet in the meantime?

Yea...i don't even give a shit about blowing up controllers. The only regret i have...i wish i blew up the controller going 60mph instead of 2-5mph. Thats frickin weak man. Either way, the kelly should be a nice plug and play with the custom j2 connectors. I'll have to change out the andersons on the halls for pins, but other than that...i'll be rippin through bethesda. hopefully it'll ship out soon.

I'll open the 18fet later....its unbelievable how many controllers i've blown from NOT PUSHING THEM TO THE LIMITS. WTF. :evil:

The kelly's pretty big....and 100a cont with 250a 1min maxes should be wicked badass.

I'm not riding my bike at all. too pissed. I also sold the 18fet 4115.

Can anyone tell me if this 175a cont switch would be a decent solution to my battery to Kelly setup? I'll put a precharge circuit parallel to it so that the voltage isn't insane. I'm running 100v HOC. I'm still disconnecting my batteries for charge. I don't want to go down the contactor path. Seems wicked complicated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017101BE?m=A7CDZ7PLP7LQY

I was gonna get a 108v 200a contactor from Kelly, but to be honest I have no idea how to set it up. I saw the othe switch option which was the hella switch, but it was rated for 50a. I don't think that's enough.

Hey moonshine
How are you connecting your controller to the frame of your bike? I have a similar set up except I'm using U-bolts and a peice of plastic. Maybe your approach is much better than mine. Pics and description would be awesome! Thanks man

Well, the 18fet was riveted into the steel plate that you see in one of those pics...and just for extra precaution I got those metal straps. as for the kelly...which is significantly bigger, will still fit on that steel plate. it's got 4 holes and i think the 1/4" bolts i have will do just fine. I'm not to concerned with heat sinking and all that jazz. I shouldn't been pushing this thing very hard since its rated for 100a continuous and 250a max for 1 minute. That'll be legit.

I picked a few goodies...

- gopro 2!!!! so pumped! its frickin awesome. I picked up the outdoor edition and i got the k-edge mount...it better be 50 bucks beyond amazing since it was 50 bucks.

- Methods' parallel boards...so that i can get rid of some of jst wire mess i made. I'll put 4 packs into each parallel board and leave the jumper for my icharger, that way i'll have to deal with 4 main jst connectors for parallel charging

- kelly 96251...So badass...i haven't waterproofed it, since they only had the non waterproof in stock. Fany told me to add silica gel somewhere and he says I have to take it apart...what?? anyone know anything about this? The j2 connector was custom so that i could minimize soldering....as you see in the pics....there are a few leads with the ring connectors...do i have to keep them separated when i use the controller? shorts? since i don't think i need them... You can see waterproof hall housing connectors...I'm also not gonna use the j1 connector..

- EV200 kilovac contactor (on the way)...so i'm starting to believe that with my luck, i'll totally blow everything up..and when I mean luck...I've sort of felt this invincibility cloak since i got into EV stuff. But recently, i saw a patient that had electrical burns.... that night i began thinking about how much voltage/current i'm "playing" around with and realized i could totally fry myself. So...I'm looking for a better charging solution...One that i don't have to unplug very often. HELP?? :?

I currently have 4 series harness each with 4 packs. when i charge, i parallel charge each 4p pack, which means i need to disconnect 4 packs and plug em in to the icharger. I was thinking about getting a bmsbattery.com charger to bulk charge. But i'm confused about how to wire the contactor into the system and charge without ever disconnecting. HELP?? :?

IMG_2277_.jpg
IMG_2278_.jpg
IMG_2279_.jpg
View attachment 3
IMG_2282_.jpg
View attachment 5
IMG_2284_.jpg
View attachment 7
IMG_2286_.jpg

what do you need the contactor for? doesn't the precharge resistor work for you? i was dealing w/ a lot of sparks since my last precharge failed, but fixed it and it's so nice...

just bulk charge, man. seriously. have a way to monitor LV/HV - does methods board manage that for you? but charge to 4.16 and forget about balancing.

psyched about the gopro!

I bought a contactor with the intention of using it. But I think I'm just gonna put in a badass switch. I'll use contactor later or sell it...I also ordered the 0.5 shunt from ebikes.ca for my high current setup.

I also ordered 2 meanwell 350w 48v to setup for bulk charging. The mods seem straightforward. I have no idea how to wire them in series though and I haven't been able to find a simple diagram of just wiring them in series ONLY. Whatevs, they won't be here for a while

Changes out the phase connectors from 75a Andersons to xt150 connectors. I might replace the other 75a APPs on my lipos with ec5s...

Im thinking of cutting down to 3p for weight. I can get 16 in the triangle, but 12 would be lighter and I could have space for other stuff?

Gopro is gonna be sick!!! I got a sweet mount and I can't wait to get this thing running...just waiting for some parts...

I ordered the MWs, but i also ordered a 1200W BMSbattery charger. i set it to 100V. I figured i'll sell the MWs since i won't need them. I just hope the bms doesn't shit the bed on me.

Finished with the bike! Kelly is mounted running awesome. I set it to 50% motor (125a) 30% battery (37.5a). This still cooks the hell outta the cro without venting holes. I see about 5-6kw bursts sometimes maintaining speeds of 50 at 4-5kw. In fact, i stopped for too long and ended up messing up the hall wires...the motor was trying to go in reverse and the hall signals were stuttering. Took a hose at the end of the trail and cooled the motor back to normal working condition. The 20ah pack got me 30 miles and i still had some left. I checked the cell voltage after my run and it was at around 3.77v.

kelly mount.jpg
removable side covers.jpg
View attachment 2
IMG_2321_.jpg
tandem.jpg

I have vids of me riding down the georgetown trail, but i'm not sure if i should post them...they're private on my youtube account. Can you make youtube vids only available to ES forum members?

Does anyone have any idea why the magura can't maintain a cruise speed with a kelly kbl controller on a cromo? It seems whatever settings i choose....speed/torque...etc, when i accelerate its sort of an all or nothing type of deal. As in, when i turn the throttle it just keeps accelerating and the only way to maintain a speed is to let off completely. Its really annoying when starting off. Since i can't speed up slowly, i sort of have to punch it, get to a safe speed and then keep accelerating and traveling at 35+ mph.

I finally got it fixed after not touching my bike for the past 6 months. All i did was switch the the blue and brown wire on the magura and disconnecting the throttle from the CA and connecting it directly to the kelly. WORKS FRICKIN AWESOME NOW. It's the shit. I'm tryin to work on figuring out the best way to mount the rear disc brake. Not as easy as I had hoped. None of my mounts align correctly with the cro/kiwi dropouts. I wonder how other peeps with the 150mm swingarm and the cro are doing it.

moonshine said:
I wonder how other peeps with the 150mm swingarm and the cro are doing it.
not sure if this interesting method will help you... something to consider?
IMG_20120216_183842.jpg

from here.

Not sure what that would really do for my alignment issues. I have pics below.....my shitty aluminum mount had jb weld on it....which sheared off when i was braking at around 45mph! i was soooo lucky the caliper didn't swing into the spokes....that would've been bad news bears...

You'll see the original mount...errr..what's left of it. I had to dremel out that much in order to align the caliper, which was STILL OFF. But i can't take any more off the mount.

image_1_renamed_11789.jpg
View attachment 7
image_3.jpg
image_4.jpg
image_5.jpg
image_renamed_14488.jpg
View attachment 2
image_7.jpg
image_8.jpg

It looks like you need a "c" washer or two in between your disk/axle shoulder and kiwi's drop outs. It would give your mount more room. For caliper Clarence a 203mm disk can also help but that does not look like that's the problem to me.

Hmm...putting another washer or 2....already stretched out at ~160mm. BTW, the rear is a 203mm. I would like to get a new caliper that's smaller and stronger. All bets are off if I end up getting the Torque frame though...

WHAT. Pictures.

Does anyone know how to convert a DP CA to a high current CA? Is that a stupid question?

im currently thinking about undertaking a cro/dhcomp setup.
how did you guys get on with the disc brake mounting in the 150mm swingarm with cromotor? work ok?

ridethelightning said:
im currently thinking about undertaking a cro/dhcomp setup.
how did you guys get on with the disc brake mounting in the 150mm swingarm with cromotor? work ok?

i think you'll find moonshine's answer to that question here. it's easy to mount the rear caliper once you sell your 2003 dh comp (with separately-sourced 150mm wide 2005 rear triangle) and buy a raptor frame instead...
file.php

wouldn't you agree moonshine? :mrgreen:

Back