motor suggestions for phaserunner and stand up e scooter

OldNoob

1 µW
Hi all,

short version:

Looking for suggestions on 10 inch hub motor to be run using the phaserunner, the more performance the better.Battery configuration up to 20s lipo.

Longer version:

As my winter project i'd like to cut up and reconfigure my stand up escooter once again, basically build everything new from the stem back.
It currently has a my1020 motor and chain drive, been running it all summer on 72v, and max speed achieved was 42 mph.

The goal is to go with a hub motor and hopefully beat the performance of the current setup. So far I've purchased a phaserunner and a Cycle analyst v3. Next up it's ordering a motor and that's where i need help. I can wire up a motor no problems following a schematic, but as soon as it gets to the inner works and all the specs of a electric motor i'm way out of my depth.

Thanks for reading and any constructive input.

P.s:
Before anyone points out the safety risk, i'd like to say that i'm well aware of it and always ride with my full motorcycle gear.

OldNoob said:
The goal is to go with a hub motor and hopefully beat the performance of the current setup.

What specifically do you mean by "beat the performance"? By how much, in exactly what way? Under what riding conditions (wind, terrain, weight, etc)?

Without knowing exactly what you want out of it, you may just get recommendations that suit the recommender, rather than your project's needs. ;)

If you need very high speeds out of it, a hubmotor in such a small wheel may be a poor choice, unless you can go high enough voltage to make it spin fast enough. Depends on the winding that you can get for the motor in question.

A chain or belt drive system can be regeared for whatever speed you may need out of it, as long as the motor can produce enough torque to convert to that speed, and not melt from the waste heat at that power level. ;) (though enough of a speed difference between motor and wheel may require multiple gearing stages).

It can also be easier to cool a non-hub-motor, *and* if you get a motor that spins faster for the same power output, it can be smaller and lighter than a hubmotor that does the same job.

A hubmotor is simpler and less maintenance, and probably quieter....

FWIW, the phaserunner itself (if properly heatsinked and cooled) is good for about the same power level you're already using, if you're at about 1800w as your first post in another thread states. So you may need a bigger controller, too, depending on exactly what you want out of the system.

I recommend going to https://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html and reading the entire page so you know how it works and what it does, then play with different systems under your conditions and change various things to see the results. This may help you understand better how all the stuff interacts, and help you better choose the kind of system you need to do the job you want. :)

vortecks did a xiaomi 10inch rear hub, 60v, phaserunner, you can check his channel to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNU9H51hpaA&list=PL3Rqaj8tXgrgJBB-TA7-yw1OB7nTFebs6&index=3

Back