Mushymelon's Strong build

yet another amazing rebuild which make me wish i could weld. great job mushy well impressed. whats the running total so far cost wise?

Man! that's well done. I see you have a bunch of those neat BC168 unit's (A.K.A. Hyena's super awesome isolated high current balance charger - thanks Jay 8) . What PSU's are you running? - Cheers

whereswally606 said:
yet another amazing rebuild which make me wish i could weld. great job mushy well impressed. whats the running total so far cost wise?

I have kept all my receipts and a log until a few weeks ago. I will update the info and tally it up soon.
Ball Park $2400 - $2700 not including the lights. I just need battery box materials. And some type of panel or cart for the charging system. Plus a few stainless nuts/bolts etc.

Camel said:
Man! that's well done. I see you have a bunch of those neat BC168 unit's (A.K.A. Hyena's super awesome isolated high current balance charger - thanks Jay 8) . What PSU's are you running? - Cheers

The power supplies are from deal extreme. Simply advertised as 12v 30a iron case power supplies(their really aluminium lol).
The model name on the side is S-360-12 I'm assumings 360 watts. I'm only going to pull 250 watts max out of each psu so I hope thats in their happy zone.
I also connected the internal fan directly to the dc output, It keeps everything cool.
I didn't like the sound it made when ramping the fan up and down inconsistent.
They all worked perfectly out of the box though a little bent on the ends from shipping.
The fan turned on when it needed and ramped down when it cooled and shut down when it was trickle balancing. I have made a few shallow cycles (charge 8a / discharge 1a) with all 4 units using all 14 batteries.
The output is set to 14v and goes to 15+v I didn't max it out because it got a little squirrelly near the end of the range it would drop a little and then advance fast so I backed it off to 14v and left it there. They hold at 13.9v when the charger is putting out 8a on 6 channels.

This is not a proper review i'm not giving these psu's a pass or fail, still testing the waters but they where cheap and so far no issues.

$US 33.60 each + Free shipping
$US 31.90 X4 with bulk rate enabled + Free shipping

sku_125352_2.jpg

The terminals do have a translucent amber flip up cover but it's not shown in the picture.

http://dx.com/p/12v-30a-iron-case-power-supply-black-silver-ac-110-220v-125352

Cheers

Very nice build!! looks great!! I want to see some videos of this monster in action!! 8)

Test fitted the batteries and the controller in the frame today and it's perfect. All that time measuring and staring at the frame payed off, woohoo! :D

Used the bottom of the original battery box as a cradle to fit the batteries into place. I may also use it for the bottom of the fibreglass mould.
I will have to be creative with my cable management its a tight fit. The shock just clears the batteries when fully compressed.
When the batteries are compressed and everything is properly packed in there it will be snug and safe behind a steel cage.
There will definitely be some type of armour built in between the battery box and the rear shock.
A steel plate fibreglassed into the top of the box should work.

There will be no wasted space.

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

Started working on the battery box.
I made some lipo mockups out of pink styrofoam insulation and stuffed em in the frame .
Eyeballed this for a week until I was confident I had good placement and a plan.
Originally I was going to measure it up based on the position of the lipo blocks and carve it out of one piece of foam but this would of been impossible.
So I guled the mock lipo blocks together, carved and added one piece at a time. Oversided it and carved it down on the frame. With the mock lipos glued into the mould you know exactly were you can and can't cut.

This stuff sands really well so it great material to work with. Just don't push hard or it will tare up chunks.

Heres some picks

IMG_3374.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg
IMG_3387.jpg
View attachment 4
IMG_3406.jpg
IMG_3407.jpg
IMG_3416.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg

pucksterpete said:
Looks good, what are you planning on running in the box?

In the box is 12 6S lipo bricks. 24s 3p, series disconnect plug, charging cable and battery monitors.

Brentis said:
Coming along very nicely.
I hope we can meet up sometime when your done for a ride.
Would love to feel how the top bar changes rigidity.
Keep the updates & pics coming.
:mrgreen:

Thanks Brentis Barries not too far, we could meet in the summer find some trails.

Nice build mushymelon, I wish I had shop and tools to work with :)
My Strong is still being finished, but I rode it to work for the past 2 weeks already.
You're gonna love this frame, even at 60 km/h, running over potholes, it's very stable :)
Good luck, maybe we can even meet, I'm in South Etobicoke, on Lakeshore.

pendragon8000 said:
Nice work there.
Do you break the series connection before charging with the bc168's?
If not did you disconnect the earth wire on the psu's?

Yes the series connection will be broken before charging
I made a single plug that get pulled before charging.

LSBW said:
Nice build mushymelon, I wish I had shop and tools to work with :)
My Strong is still being finished, but I rode it to work for the past 2 weeks already.
You're gonna love this frame, even at 60 km/h, running over potholes, it's very stable :)
Good luck, maybe we can even meet, I'm in South Etobicoke, on Lakeshore.

Etobicoke eh! Sounds like a challenge maybe I can make that on the bike.
I'm in, well work it out when the weathers nice.

Finished the charger and it's a beast.

Check it out.

IMG_3520.jpg

I ran all new lines directly to the charger boards.

IMG_3492.jpg

Heres my charging connector. Its keyed and awesome.

IMG_3494.jpg

I was nervous plugging it in for the first time, it was a lot of connections inside and out.
Im happy to report it's works great.

The battery is finished as well, I will upload some more photos soon.
Only about 1 more solid day of wiring and I will be riding! :)

Cheers

Mushy

Pretty much finished

This bike is fun and working great.

I was able too fit a lot of battery in a small space and hide the controller inside the triangle behind the battery.

I'm very happy with the performance.

Top speed 71kph / 44mph, acceleration is great.

Its well balanced with just enough weight in the front to keep it down and plenty of torque when i don't :)

This 8x8 wind motor @24s is a nice balance of speed, torque and weight as long as you monitor the temperature.
I insulated all the wires with high temp ceramic epoxy and encased the temp probe inside the stator. Normally i will keep it under 120c but i've run it as hot as 180c for brief periods without issues.

Its setup at 50a rated, 115a phase and the three speed switch is set to 1. 34% 2. 54% 3. 115%
Thank you Lyen, this controller is a little beast, never gets hot.

The 48 to 11t setup pedals good on setting 2 48-50 kph.

On setting three even going 50 kph its snaps you back when hammering the throttle.

The bike weighs in at 90 lbs and i'm 165. Good power to weight ratio, I haven't found a hill i can't climb yet.

It shines off road, its just asking to be abused.

I'll takes some better photos this week.

SUNP0009p.jpg

[ATTACH type="full" alt="SUNP0011p.jpg[/attachment

[attachment=0]SUNP0015p.jpg"]1[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• SUNP0011p.jpg
    SUNP0011p.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,681
  • SUNP0015p.jpg
    SUNP0015p.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,681
Man. Walk the walkwith painting it black hey? Great job there. Love the forks, dual lights, fat knoblies. Beast !
If that's 180°C your insane. If its 180°F then you should be definately safe upto 212°F (boiling temp of water)
Video please
Edit
Triple lights... boss

pendragon8000 said:
Man. Walk the walkwith painting it black hey? Great job there. Love the forks, dual lights, fat knoblies. Beast !
If that's 180°C your insane. If its 180°F then you should be definately safe upto 212°F (boiling temp of water)
Video please
Edit
Triple lights... boss

Thanks

I go around painting other peoples bikes black too lol. can't help myself
No i'm insane thats Celsius i need an excuse to buy a bigger motor anyway. Maybe my probe is off but probably not i'm pulling 6 kw peaks on a advertised 800 w motor.

I bought a little action cam it died first time out only got a few stills from it crappy ones.
videos soon

cheers

Mushy

pendragon8000 said:
lol.. well i vote you order a cromotor, and while you wait for it thrash the frocking shit out of that (9c?) hub.

btw how long does it take to charge your pack with that suitecase charger?

Most of the time I use about 7 to 10 ah its hard too tell how long because I bring it up to 3.9 cell about 45 min. Then I finish charging it just before I ride this takes about an hour. Probably takes 3 hours to fully charge.

Cromotor is a badass maybe too much for the 12 fet controller it definitely won't over heat though.
Maybe a 4060 is a good choice save a few dollars too.

Im going to melt this hub to the ground
It already pushed my old bike around for thousands of miles.

Back